Where do you get your news from?

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Anonimo

My kingdom for a facepalm rating
kiwifarms.net
Mostly, I tend to avoid watching the news on TV. It always disappoints me how every time I see two or more talking heads look like they're finally on the cusp of a break through interrupted because someone wants to sell me something I don't need. Though if my family has CNN or MSNBC on at the dinner table, I'll look up maybe once or twice reacting to the coverage for a moment.

I tend to read BBC News and Reuters. Though I also read New York Times, Washington Post, The Hill, NPR, and occasionally Wall Street Journal. My personal gold standard though is that if I can't find stories concerning American politics on BBC or Reuters saying the same thing as an article from MSNBC or FOX, I should take it with a grain of salt. Unless the article is from InfoWars or their ilk, in which case I won't give it the time of day.

Last edited:

ADN_VIII

Panzer Vor!
kiwifarms.net
BBC World News for international.
Al-Jazeera English if I need something specific but the ties to the Qatar government leaves me leery of anything related to US foreign policy.
Fox and CNN aren't awful in a pinch, but generally I'm only looking for headline to do further research elsewhere because fuck Fox and CNN.

Wraith

Made pure again from the hardest game on earth.
kiwifarms.net
Drudge Report for me. The guy links to pretty much everything so that takes care of all I need. I get other little bits here and there traveling 4chan and Kiwi.

Audit

Dystopian Accountant
kiwifarms.net
I use Reuters as my main source for international news, but I always cross reference important events with the RT to get a second opinion. I used to use the BBC a lot but ever since the Siege of Aleppo I've noticed that they tend to have a lax policy on fact checking and have since stopped using it. For information on the Syrian Civil War, I tend to use liveuamap.com and various reliable journalists on the ground.

Chill Fam

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Normally I don't read the news, but when I hear about something that piques my interest I usually stop by DailyMail.

M

MG 192

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, just this site. I don't trust any news source for information seeing as the mainstream media are no longer expected to provide accurate information without a partisan spin. I don't trust academia since most will only preach to the leftist choir and I do not consider my family reliable source of information for news.

Kiwi Farms is the only site I come across that I can mostly rely on for the latest happening and also learn a lot from without fear of being heavily mislead. Perhaps this has to do with the site being one of the final bastion of free speech. At least this is a place where intelligent discussions thrive and no tolerance for bullshit.

Essentially, I read and start learning on Kiwi Farms about an important political, social, or religious topic. Then if I want to talk about it in real life, I do further research. The day Kiwi Farms leave the Web is the day I stop going to online communities.

Sergeant Politeness

Pitiful, laughable, once again silent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, just this site. I don't trust any news source for information seeing as the mainstream media are no longer expected to provide accurate information without a partisan spin. I don't trust academia since most will only preach to the leftist choir and I do not consider my family reliable source of information for news.

Kiwi Farms is the only site I come across that I can mostly rely on for the latest happening and also learn a lot from without fear of being heavily mislead. Perhaps this has to do with the site being one of the final bastion of free speech.

Essentially, I read and start learning on Kiwi Farms about an important political, social, or religious topic. Then if I want to talk about it in real life, I do further research.
As dumb as this sounds, yeah. Given that we have users all over the autism political spectrum, it's nice to get it and hear opinions from both sides and the middle, something that's not terribly easy to find on any one site alone (and I'm too lazy to check a bunch). Kiwis have a tendency to find shit that other news sites will conveniently forget or misconstrue, so lies and idiocy tend to get caught quickly.

Also, people shitposting in the NK megathread amuses me.

AlephOne2Many

the late nightmare special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As independent as I can get it, from here or from the likes of Styxenhexenhammer666 on Youtube.

M

MG 192

kiwifarms.net
As dumb as this sounds, yeah. Given that we have users all over the autism political spectrum, it's nice to get it and hear opinions from both sides and the middle, something that's not terribly easy to find on any one site alone (and I'm too lazy to check a bunch). Kiwis have a tendency to find shit that other news sites will conveniently forget or misconstrue, so lies and idiocy tend to get caught quickly.

Also, people shitposting in the NK megathread amuses me.
And that is what attracts me to this forum. At first I thought it was just about laughing at people somehow worse off than most Kiwis on the forum. Then I decided to take a gander at the Deep Thoughts and News section and I was like "Wow, there's really something to this forum". I began to grow fond of this site. Finally, a place where I can nurture my political growth with a group of people who not only somewhat know what they are talking about but are willing to hear out what other people say. After reading this forum, I actually feel semi-informed instead of being totally in the dark.

As for other sites, the only other one I have seen that I do not find totally revolting is Politics Forum (not Political Forum, that shit is cancerous). There's more communist sympathy out there (just as a warning) but it also has a wide amount of users worldwide (I would argue it is just as diverse if not more so than Kiwi Farms) from all political spectrums. As for political discussions, the amount of intellects makes me wonder if they are on a whole different level than I was able to comprehend. Granted, they argue a lot, but in a political forum, that is inevitable. I should give that site another chance.

Save Goober

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mostly from here really, but I used to check google news feed pretty regularly. If some topic catches my attention I will read a bunch of different sites, usually the Guardian, WaPo, Al-Jazeera, BBC, RT, HuffPo, Breitbart (that and huffpo for lols, mostly), sometimes reddit, whatever, I look at the opposite bias and try to figure out what the truth actually might be or at least my opinion on it. People here are pretty biased too but overall it's actually pretty useful and there are actually well thought out comments.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
I tuned into CNN during the election because it was the only place I could legally read the leaked Hillary e-mails, and now I mostly rely on Occupy Democrats memes for news.

Last edited by a moderator:

heymate

Hold onto breakfast, kids.
kiwifarms.net
I don't really like TV news. Everything is biased. Sometimes they have CBS News breaks on 97.1 FM (the classic rock station I listen to a lot) but I usually switch to something else when the news comes on. However, on the rare occasion I don't touch the dial, the news updates are generally too short to squeeze in any political bias and that's good. A lot of times it's just "blah blah blah someone crashed on the interstate but everyone wore their seatbelts and they were okay". I like happy news.

Our family also gets a local paper every week in the mail. We live in a rural area, so there's not really any crime or anything interesting. I've tried to do the crosswords in the back, but I don't really know much about pop culture so I'm not very good at it.

Slightly Observant

Shill for the Deep State
kiwifarms.net
BBC, AP, Reuters, NPR, NY Times, WaPo, the Economist, Christian Science Monitor, my local paper and some local websites. No news source is completely objective, but these come pretty close.

For analysis (similar but different from news) I look at Vox, FiveThirtyEight, Politifact, the Atlantic, WaPo, the Economist, and occasionally Wall Street Journal or National Review.

Used to read HuffPo, but had already started moving away from it by the time the election started. And while CNN's reputation has taken some hits recently, I think their international coverage is still good now and then.

Douglas Reynholm

kiwifarms.net
BBC news maybe Guardian, despite the opinion pieces being utter shite some decent journalism still exists there. Only one I really trust is private eye but its only a monthly print piece.