Where do you pirate your music from?

Cowboy Kim

Lookin' for a five-star tomato
kiwifarms.net
I've seen a lot of people mentioning soulseek.
I tried using it once but was too exceptional to figure it out *sigh*
I had a twilightzoom account, but I never used it since they had less stuff than public trackers.

BOONES

Boulder Punching Asshole
kiwifarms.net
I just use converters. But I'm usually always connected to the web so it's not usually a problem.

karz

The cuter the avatar, the uglier the person.
kiwifarms.net
  • use youtube-dl.exe
  • search for desired music on soundcloud (if soundcloud doesn't have it then youtube often does - use youtube-dl then stick it through video to audio converter)
  • acquire excellent .mp3 files to desktop
  • order them in format phone will recognize as an album so i don't have to change music every 2-6 minutes
  • send files to phone
  • ???
  • profit
not as tedious as it looks, actually. the benefit is no data usage for phone, no ads, and i can play my music anywhere I want.
plus i don't get glowie letters in the mail telling me to "cease and desist" my use of public trackers.

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Soulseek is the tits. Although there are a few exceptional individuals on there that refuse to share their folders, yet still leech stuff from you.

I know you can prevent users that aren't sharing anything from downloading from you, but it doesn't stop these shitheads from turning on sharing for just long enough to start the download, only to close off their share as soon as they've finished leeching.

Yeah I know ... I'm MATI.

• use youtube-dl.exe

youtube-dl ... It's not just for ripping on-demand video anymore.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I used to use a Pandora ripping tool called Saver2. Fucking awesome, listen to a song, if you enjoy it, dl the song.
The tool also spoofed a Pandora premium account. I'm sure this is an obsolete tool these days.
I haven't found any new music worthy of listening to in over a decade, tbh.

Dread First

خاموشیاں یہ سہ نہ سکوں
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
RuTracker has been my go-to ever since I was in high school. I'd also offset that by using FileTram to look up zip/rar archives of whatever it was that I wanted if RuTracker didn't have it. Of course, these days I don't pirate nearly as much as I used to. YouTube and Spotify have taken care of 90% of my needs.

Still, if I'm looking for some obscure hardcore punk band from the 80s/90s or if it's some niche genre that isn't popular on streaming platforms, I'll fire up qBitTorrent and dig for it on RuTracker.

Anti Fun Aktion

God Hates Fun Enablers
kiwifarms.net
RuTracker has been my go-to ever since I was in high school. I'd also offset that by using FileTram to look up zip/rar archives of whatever it was that I wanted if RuTracker didn't have it. Of course, these days I don't pirate nearly as much as I used to. YouTube and Spotify have taken care of 90% of my needs.

Still, if I'm looking for some obscure hardcore punk band from the 80s/90s or if it's some niche genre that isn't popular on streaming platforms, I'll fire up qBitTorrent and dig for it on RuTracker.
I use that as well, although their main search engine doesn't work so I have to go to another site to find stuff posted on there. That russian site I mentioned, is where I posted some obscure out of print Jazz albums that can't be found anywhere else.

Max Doof

You can find me in multimedia
kiwifarms.net
I used to use a Pandora ripping tool called Saver2. Fucking awesome, listen to a song, if you enjoy it, dl the song.
The tool also spoofed a Pandora premium account. I'm sure this is an obsolete tool these days.
I haven't found any new music worthy of listening to in over a decade, tbh.
Their use to be a mod of the app that let you directly download the songs if you liked them.
I don't know if it's still around but it was great as long as you didn't mind 128 kps quality files.

When I don't wanna use rutracker fildo is a good alternative that doesn't need vpn to download songs but unless you're downloading full albums it'll jumble single songs by the same artist as an "album".

Dong Schlong Phil

kiwifarms.net
RuTracker and soulseek are the way to go.

You can find some pretty obscure shit on soulseek but sometimes people limit their upload or have slow speed and they might close their computer etc so basic p2p problems that have existed since napster etc

Teadrinkr

ヌル様を讃える。
kiwifarms.net
AIDS
Don't ask about the name. It's a deezer downloader. It's easy and it does it's job if you're not much of an audiophile/not into obscure music.

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
I use deezloader remix. The only issue is that you have to download a new build every couple of weeks due to deezer being updated to prevent deezloader remix from working.

StreetGangsta

Hell's Gate Arrested - And Shine Heaven Now
kiwifarms.net
soulseek like most people cuz it's convenient and usable + i can get obscure albumz like "C! True Hollywood Stories" on that shit

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
I use deezloader remix. The only issue is that you have to download a new build every couple of weeks due to deezer being updated to prevent deezloader remix from working.
Deezloader Remix is somewhat deprecated, functional but its not going anywhere and a bunch of features are broken, the replacement is Deemix.

I use Deemix for mainstream stuff, I started using Spotdl for less common media. It yanks all the relevant metadata like album art, tagging info and searches Youtube for the audio and yanks it. It then tags the file using the Spotify derived data. Everything else I just play directly off of Youtube using mpv+youtube-dl. Its also possible to nab stuff directly from the internet by searching for open directories with google. Just replace "Artist - Songname" from the code block with what you're looking for and you'll find it... maybe. Only the most common stuff appears in open directories, and usually with garbage quality.

Code:
+(.ogg|.mp3|.wav|.ac3|.flac|.wma|.m4a)  Artist - Songname  intitle:"index of" -inurl:(jsp|pl|php|html|aspx|htm|cf|shtml) -inurl:(listen77|mp3raid|mp3toss|mp3drug|index_of|wallywashis)

Aegir

an aqueous visage
kiwifarms.net
P much stick with SoulSeek for obscure shit and use the tidal-dl script for anything else. I like streaming for the car and shit, but saving offline copies of all my playlists has saved me in the past when the small artists I follow decide to do shit remasters of their songs.

Rozzy

A UwU Shiba Inu
kiwifarms.net
Ideally I prefer to rip music from original CDs using Rhythmbox to 320 kb/s mp3.

This website is a good source of free music, you can find some obscure stuff there.

Ripping from YouTube is a last resort if I can't get it anywhere else.

Last edited:

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
rutracker.org is perhaps the greatest compendium of audio, video, print, game material ever assembled by mankind. It makes the Library of Alexandria look like the library at Slab City. That alone makes it the most valuable resource on the internets, but they also have a very anal-retentive policy of uniform labelling of files, which is most welcome to those of us with big collections who can't be bothered fixing thousands upon thousands of tags (which is what happens when you use Pirate Bay or any other major public tracker). Everything remains seeded there too, no matter how obscure. They don't have everything but they almost do, and whatever is missing will eventually be uploaded there too. It would be a shame if it were to go poof, but I made sure to fill my canteen multiple times before it does.

I miss the old Demonoid (the new one is garbage), which was good for home-made, specially curated collections. For the most part, the war has been won against pirating; it has been on the decline for years as it becomes harder to find pirate sites. People find it easier just to go to YouTube or sign up for a pay service than spend hours rooting around torrent sites. But as long as rutracker stays up, I'm happy.