Where do you see the US in 2050 - Doom Posting aside

Clarence

Benevolent Extra Terrestrial
kiwifarms.net
It's been a wild 21 years into the millennia. Tell someone on New Years Eve 2000 about the state of the union I think they'd laugh.
So do you see the culture going full retard to the point it's normal? Or maybe a swing back and people look look at the 20's like the Hippie's failed movement.
My best guess is there are 3 super powers on the planet, none of them being India.
Boarders don't mean much.
Companies hold more wealth and influence than any government. Conflicts over minerals in Africa. China might try to swing their military dick around "helping" who ever.
Huge gap between the haves and have nots, but its still the US so the poor still have cell phones. Giant Monopolies bigger than the gilded age rule through influence. The rich have access to advanced medical treatments, organ transplants and all that. That evil "666 chip" will be trendy, not actually an antichrist thing just your phone will be in your brain and you can more or less be telepathic with one another, access a highly pruned version of the web. People will beg for some sort of social credit system, youll be old fashioned if you dont want it.
Whats real and fake will be indistinguishable in media.
I feel the things in that "you'll own nothing and be happy" video will be true in cities.
I'm not sure how the "culture war" goes. One side more or less won already, with big tech and most of the media in full support of it. Not sure how long that will stay, seems to be a swing back and forth every 20ish years. What ever keeps the little people divided.
Im not sure how our culture would be. A lot can happen in 30 years. Seems like everything is so accelerated its up in the air. Im sure cash will be phased out, hell it more or less is now. I feel people will be more or less molds of one another, maybe our in the country the'll be different communes. How ever it plays out I dont see it as great. The rich get richer, which is good for them I guess. Sure things will be better tech wise but to what cost? People are already copies of one another living through, shit- whats the word for a one sided relationship when you build a bond with a talking head online or on the tv? Anyway..Cant do jack about it so it'll be an interesting ride.
What do you think?
I wouldnt mind hearing predictions for 2030 or 2040 too.

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
I think you're going to see economic decline, increased crime, and the failure of the urban centers.

There's no putting the genie back in the bottle for places like Chicago, LA, Baltimore, Memphis, DC, St Louis, Minneapolis, or even New York.

I don't like doom posting, but the utter lack of direction from the loony left beyond grabbing power at the expense of the rest of the country is never going to lead to anywhere good.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Just look at California.

Now double that in seriousness and make it a nationwide scale.

dont-call-it-a-grave.gif

Clarence

kiwifarms.net
I think you're going to see economic decline, increased crime, and the failure of the urban centers.

There's no putting the genie back in the bottle for places like Chicago, LA, Baltimore, Memphis, DC, St Louis, Minneapolis, or even New York.

I don't like doom posting, but the utter lack of direction from the loony left beyond grabbing power at the expense of the rest of the country is never going to lead to anywhere good.
I feel like thats the thoughts of most anyone what ever you political standing. Everyone seems to think things are going downward. Im not saying all out collapse appocolypse, just things being shitty. But to someone whos born in the middle will they notice? Maybe itll be like someone born post 2001 hearing about before 911 or what it was like growing up in the post war boom.
Im not sure if the Uni-party would allow it but I do fear to some extent someone who promises to 'make it better', im not talking about orange man make it better, i mean 'herr doctor' make it better. Though it wouldnt be the flashy 20th century tyrant, it would be with a smile and everything you've ever said online or on a cellphone since you where 12 and maybe you disappear one night. Sounds doomer I know but it seems like the blocks are already in place for some shit like that

Spooky Bones

Don't troon out. Out troons.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
De facto devolved areas, something like Northern Ireland or maybe Scotland in the UK. Both left- and right-wing enclaves which are no-go zones for feds as are some leftist equivalents. Low-intensity warfare in certain areas. Domestic terrorism has become quotidian. The federal government is castrated and has collapsed under its own weight, unable to enforce law, and exists primarily to perpetuate its own existence and occasionally launch militarized incursions into the devolved areas to capture or kill a particularly prominent insurgent or organized crime figure.

International prestige is shot to hell, but in a permanent standoff with China, which has come to own Africa and reached its own separate peace with a center-left, nanny-state and immigrant-dominated utopian unified Europe, and with Russia, which has come to be the center of a reactionary political tendency featuring a militant, caesaropapist Christianity and crony state capitalism. Political groups and entire regions of the US receive funding and low-key offer their allegiance to one of the three.

Life is hard wherever you live, in the areas dominated by European-style nanny leftism, like the coastal cities, ethnic minorities form a permanent semi-criminal Lumpenproletariat on subsistence welfare living in tribal fashion often at war with one another. The elites live in international jet set leisure while the middle classes work constantly plugged in to and monitored by technology. Chinese-influenced areas like some of the Rust Belt are basically company towns with poor working conditions and constant social credit type monitoring. Legal drugs and prostitution, both provided largely by immigrants, divert the populations of both. These are controlled by semi-legitimized (think Japanese Yakuza) ethnic criminal organizations.

Areas of a more right-wing bent have a degree of Russian influence but also more libertarian sentiments. These folks are heavily armed, suspicious of technology and the government, and support themselves by working in large-scale agribusiness or as members of the petit-bourgeois. Those who can't hack it as either live in hardscrabble self-sufficient enclaves and sometimes resort to banditry.

People everywhere are suspicious of their neighbors and of people in other enclaves. There is a constant fear that these will go to war with one another and the federal government so they keep nukes pointed at each other although this is not public knowledge. There is a sense that the federal government will not see the next decade and any sense of national unity will be gone even from memory by 2100.

Abyssal Bulwark

It’s just over your left shoulder. . . .
kiwifarms.net
In short, I am convinced that the US will break up into several different countries in the future. If you've read John Glubb's The Fate of Empires, it's pointed out in that essay that great nations and empires have an average lifespan of 250 years before they collapse, and the US is approaching 250 years in 2026. Plus, we have two vastly different ideologies/cultures sharing one living space. This cannot last forever, and I can see a second Civil War breaking out where the US balkanizes.

Clarence

kiwifarms.net
De facto devolved areas, something like Northern Ireland or maybe Scotland in the UK. Both left- and right-wing enclaves which are no-go zones for feds as are some leftist equivalents. Low-intensity warfare in certain areas. Domestic terrorism has become quotidian. The federal government is castrated and has collapsed under its own weight, unable to enforce law, and exists primarily to perpetuate its own existence and occasionally launch militarized incursions into the devolved areas to capture or kill a particularly prominent insurgent or organized crime figure.

International prestige is shot to hell, but in a permanent standoff with China, which has come to own Africa and reached its own separate peace with a center-left, nanny-state and immigrant-dominated utopian unified Europe, and with Russia, which has come to be the center of a reactionary political tendency featuring a militant, caesaropapist Christianity and crony state capitalism. Political groups and entire regions of the US receive funding and low-key offer their allegiance to one of the three.

Life is hard wherever you live, in the areas dominated by European-style nanny leftism, like the coastal cities, ethnic minorities form a permanent semi-criminal Lumpenproletariat on subsistence welfare living in tribal fashion often at war with one another. The elites live in international jet set leisure while the middle classes work constantly plugged in to and monitored by technology. Chinese-influenced areas like some of the Rust Belt are basically company towns with poor working conditions and constant social credit type monitoring. Legal drugs and prostitution, both provided largely by immigrants, divert the populations of both. These are controlled by semi-legitimized (think Japanese Yakuza) ethnic criminal organizations.

Areas of a more right-wing bent have a degree of Russian influence but also more libertarian sentiments. These folks are heavily armed, suspicious of technology and the government, and support themselves by working in large-scale agribusiness or as members of the petit-bourgeois. Those who can't hack it as either live in hardscrabble self-sufficient enclaves and sometimes resort to banditry.

People everywhere are suspicious of their neighbors and of people in other enclaves. There is a constant fear that these will go to war with one another and the federal government so they keep nukes pointed at each other although this is not public knowledge. There is a sense that the federal government will not see the next decade and any sense of national unity will be gone even from memory by 2100.
Damn, I can see it. This past year seeing people Im close to spy on their neighbor for not obeying gathering restrictions was someone out of a bad movie. Trust in everything is gone, in the institutions, in what formerly was a community , you name it. If 2020 was a trailer for a real crisis, a big one i mean, thats pretty damn sad

I look foward to how my grandkid's text book will handle 2020. It'll be a good laugh

Wingnut

WARNING: Remove before flight.
kiwifarms.net
Large scale collapse of major metropolitan areas. Large cities become essentially no-go zones for law enforcement as they are run entirely by gangs and LE will have been so heavily handicapped they wouldn't be able to do anything anyway.

Some of the more rural states and deep south will be more or less the same, but extremely resistant and militant towards refugees from major left wing urban centers. Several states seriously pushing for secession, if not outright declaring themselves a separate country without federal approval.

Major technology corporations like Google and Amazon openly influence the government to do their bidding, and the gap between rich and everyone else is astronomical. Privacy no longer exists unless you live in bumfuck nowhere with no electricity.

Lefties still cry on Twitter about everything.

Clarence

kiwifarms.net
Forgive my double post but I wonder what the average joe thinks. I feel like this site can an eco chamber at times with some topics. Im not saying shit about that, more what do the people who freshly graduated from university think, or people who still watch cable news really see the future holding?

Huge gap between the haves and have nots, but its still the US so the poor still have cell phones. Giant Monopolies bigger than the gilded age rule through influence.
Plus ça change

How about a Brave New World style America, the coasts being World State and the Midwest being the Reservations

throw in a bit of We for the AS and Gunsmoke for the SR.

I'll probably be dead by then, so I'm not really bothered.

Oh, Soph is leader of the SR, and the cyborg semi corpse of Desmond is Autistic leader of WS.

Clarence

kiwifarms.net
It will be a third-world country. One of the few things keeping the US somewhat afloat right now is that it's still majority white. By 2050 it's going to look like South Africa looks now, just with more tacos.
Id argue its the fiat currency. Our paper/ 1s and 0s are worth something because we say so. Once that confidence is gone well atleast we got tacos

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At the risk of sounding like a bäizuo, most Americans my age will probably be living in China by that time. You always read the studies that China will become a superpower by 2050.

I still remember the videos that Youtube used to spam about this subject just a few years back:

As far as what America will look like 2050, I’m sure there will be more demographic changes and automation that will make technology more susceptible to foreign nations stealing and borrowing more information from Americans. Meanwhile, U.S.’s cyber security personnel will be on the verge of being in the bottom half of the world.

Muttnik

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
Probably some Hunger Games hellscape with one half being ludicrously wealthy and techy and the other half being a barren wasteland of poverty and crime.

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In short, I am convinced that the US will break up into several different countries in the future. If you've read John Glubb's The Fate of Empires, it's pointed out in that essay that great nations and empires have an average lifespan of 250 years before they collapse, and the US is approaching 250 years in 2026. Plus, we have two vastly different ideologies/cultures sharing one living space. This cannot last forever, and I can see a second Civil War breaking out where the US balkanizes.
Either way, whatever happens to the US in that time, I'll be dead by then.

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
Forgive my double post but I wonder what the average joe thinks. I feel like this site can an eco chamber at times with some topics. Im not saying shit about that, more what do the people who freshly graduated from university think, or people who still watch cable news really see the future holding?
I'm not trying to be snarky but what about cable news would leave you with a sense of optimism? My mom is a die hard CNN junkie and I hate going over there when she's got the TV on because it's just borderline cultist propaganda.

People leaving college these days are either going to be brought up in a left wing eco chamber, unemployed or both.

Colleges in the US aren't exactly a breeding ground for the free exchange of ideas.