Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Death of the Internet

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ah yes, above poster got into cyber implants, those will be the gateway of making life a literal living nightmare.

Not science fiction, already exists. A firm in Britain called Bioteq sells a "medical implant" for £1,450.00 including installation. They also sell RFID chips to get into your home or car (so you will be able to be evicted or banned from travelling by state or other sponsored fiat or a hacker).

Time was when we used to sneer and giggle at Christian fundamentalists who were all, "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee RFID teh mark of teh beast!!!1"

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
I've seen posts talking about creating mesh networks especially on cell phones as a new decentralized internet; except there is one massive hurdle down the road, the FCC or any other countries communication regulatory body. The FCC writes the rules, grants licenses, and organizes the electromagnetic spectrum. One simply can't build a radio to communicate on without having to deal with them and their rules. This agency allocated out the electromagnetic spectrum and licensed out some of the bands, with a few bands open for free use with restrictions, e.g. ISM2.4 (wi-fi band). Keep in mind, a vast majority of the spectrum goes un-used, a lot of is reserved for military or emergency radio use meanwhile other bands, like the cell phone bands that support 2/3G and 4G are extremely crowded, leading to the idea of cellular phone companies to do tiered access with their payment plans, pay less, get less priority.

Now let's say the internet as we know it is failure and people move to decentralized mesh networks like what Pied Piper network was suppose to be in the TV show. If you use the cellular bands you better hope the cell phone companies are on board whether it's a financial incentive or they don't bow to the woke mob. If not they can boot you off their licensed band. If you are kicked off their band, where do you go from there? Build or buy your own alternative radioes with data modems? Can't have it all the Wi-Fi band unless you in a tight urban area because you can't propagate far without violating an FCC rule about transmission power. You're not even allowed to use certain antennas on you wireless router at home because you could alter the gain pattern enough to violate propagation rules. If you live out in the country like many of us dream then you are out of luck and probably stuck using twisted pair phone lines which is woefully inadequate for this sort of network. That leaves squatting on an unused spectrum, remember you can't use long wavelength stuff, its too slow of a carrier signal, you have to use shorter wavelengths in the UHF and up to support any meaningful web 1.0 standards and protocols. Also you can't go too high into the band on terrestrial communications because the shorter wavelength eventually can't penetrate objects without a loss of power. The FCC deals with these sort of pirate radio stations all the time and shuts them down when they get enough complaints. In this scenario the complaints are a wrong think network that is contrary to the greater good of social justice. The FCC can just use energy detectors and radio triangulation and have law enforcement raid the source.

How about being smart and creating a network that is run by dynamic spectrum access or cognitive radios? These radios change bands when determine there is an interference or the primary user getting on to use their allocated frequency. This idea would work well in the modern day, you can hide among the other electromagnetic traffic. However, this is where things are going to get scary in the future. For the past two decades there has been research for cognitive jammers that now rely heavily on machine learning to find special signals and jam them. Just set up a couple of listening device in a major metropolitan area and over time the mesh network will get outed since it won't exactly act like the radio network it is hiding among. Instant game over in the countryside because there is nothing to hide amongst. Maybe the FCC won't have the budget for this but corporate donors like Google and Amazon would happily go after a rival network. This is still a theoretical concept but if it really comes down to it, I can see this sort of thing getting deployed in my lifetime.

TL; DR. Mesh isn't a safe bet right now given how the FCC and the future could change.

Splinters RCVD ✞

Babylon comes, but there is hope!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not science fiction, already exists. A firm in Britain called Bioteq sells a "medical implant" for £1,450.00 including installation. They also sell RFID chips to get into your home or car (so you will be able to be evicted or banned from travelling by state or other sponsored fiat or a hacker).

Time was when we used to sneer and giggle at Christian fundamentalists who were all, "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee RFID teh mark of teh beast!!!1"
Surprise, surprise. (If this is the one you meant.) Unless it turns out be an epic hoax or scam, then woe to our remaining freedoms, bodily invasion via tech is now a thing of public access, even if in infancy.

dak

They say I got a messiah complex but I forgive 'em
kiwifarms.net
Pretty decent article. Didn't realised it cost so much just to set up your own website, that's certainly something a normal person can't do without some sort of revenue stream to compensate for it.
Speaking as someone who self-publishes a website full of politically-subversive material, the chief issue with The Farms is the community surrounding it. A lot of people self-publish information to the Internet. Generally, it's not an issue. The issue comes with community. This community is guilty of virtually every type of wrongthink the authoritarians have propaganda for.

The issue is that we cannot discuss the exceptional without dealing with the lies that enable them. Additionally, a community has much less capacity for coherent, consistent methodology. My website doesn't rock boats because I am very, very precise about the language I use there. If The Farms was to enforce this kind of precision, there would be no community, because the rules would have to be so rigorous that there would be no room for discussion or community. Only a few spergs / autists would be able to actually adhere to the standards, et cetera.

Piss!

🏴 Heckin Valid Enby 🌹 ACAB 🏳️‍🌈 BLM 🏴
kiwifarms.net
Good post, Null. It's informative and useful. Hopefully the light of freedom will shine again -- although it will take many people of integrity to turn back the tide.

Piss!

🏴 Heckin Valid Enby 🌹 ACAB 🏳️‍🌈 BLM 🏴
kiwifarms.net
Speaking as someone who self-publishes a website full of politically-subversive material, the chief issue with The Farms is the community surrounding it. A lot of people self-publish information to the Internet. Generally, it's not an issue. The issue comes with community. This community is guilty of virtually every type of wrongthink the authoritarians have propaganda for.

The issue is that we cannot discuss the exceptional without dealing with the lies that enable them. Additionally, a community has much less capacity for coherent, consistent methodology. My website doesn't rock boats because I am very, very precise about the language I use there. If The Farms was to enforce this kind of precision, there would be no community, because the rules would have to be so rigorous that there would be no room for discussion or community. Only a few spergs / autists would be able to actually adhere to the standards, et cetera.
It does bother me sometimes how many stupid people there are on this website, but I think it'd be impossible to get rid of them without completely destroying the freedom that makes it worthwhile to come here. Plus, that same freedom is what allows me to tell them to get bent without worrying about repercussions to my social credit score (I can use the n-word when telling a racist that he's retarded, for example, and neither of us will get fired for what we post).

DaddyDickDown

နပငင
kiwifarms.net
I've seen posts talking about creating mesh networks especially on cell phones as a new decentralized internet; except there is one massive hurdle down the road, the FCC or any other countries communication regulatory body. The FCC writes the rules, grants licenses, and organizes the electromagnetic spectrum. One simply can't build a radio to communicate on without having to deal with them and their rules. This agency allocated out the electromagnetic spectrum and licensed out some of the bands, with a few bands open for free use with restrictions, e.g. ISM2.4 (wi-fi band). Keep in mind, a vast majority of the spectrum goes un-used, a lot of is reserved for military or emergency radio use meanwhile other bands, like the cell phone bands that support 2/3G and 4G are extremely crowded, leading to the idea of cellular phone companies to do tiered access with their payment plans, pay less, get less priority.

Now let's say the internet as we know it is failure and people move to decentralized mesh networks like what Pied Piper network was suppose to be in the TV show. If you use the cellular bands you better hope the cell phone companies are on board whether it's a financial incentive or they don't bow to the woke mob. If not they can boot you off their licensed band. If you are kicked off their band, where do you go from there? Build or buy your own alternative radioes with data modems? Can't have it all the Wi-Fi band unless you in a tight urban area because you can't propagate far without violating an FCC rule about transmission power. You're not even allowed to use certain antennas on you wireless router at home because you could alter the gain pattern enough to violate propagation rules. If you live out in the country like many of us dream then you are out of luck and probably stuck using twisted pair phone lines which is woefully inadequate for this sort of network. That leaves squatting on an unused spectrum, remember you can't use long wavelength stuff, its too slow of a carrier signal, you have to use shorter wavelengths in the UHF and up to support any meaningful web 1.0 standards and protocols. Also you can't go too high into the band on terrestrial communications because the shorter wavelength eventually can't penetrate objects without a loss of power. The FCC deals with these sort of pirate radio stations all the time and shuts them down when they get enough complaints. In this scenario the complaints are a wrong think network that is contrary to the greater good of social justice. The FCC can just use energy detectors and radio triangulation and have law enforcement raid the source.

How about being smart and creating a network that is run by dynamic spectrum access or cognitive radios? These radios change bands when determine there is an interference or the primary user getting on to use their allocated frequency. This idea would work well in the modern day, you can hide among the other electromagnetic traffic. However, this is where things are going to get scary in the future. For the past two decades there has been research for cognitive jammers that now rely heavily on machine learning to find special signals and jam them. Just set up a couple of listening device in a major metropolitan area and over time the mesh network will get outed since it won't exactly act like the radio network it is hiding among. Instant game over in the countryside because there is nothing to hide amongst. Maybe the FCC won't have the budget for this but corporate donors like Google and Amazon would happily go after a rival network. This is still a theoretical concept but if it really comes down to it, I can see this sort of thing getting deployed in my lifetime.

TL; DR. Mesh isn't a safe bet right now given how the FCC and the future could change.
I wish there was a US equivalent to this

Kalsarinännit

Gold-medal in procrastination
kiwifarms.net
I've looked into starting my own website a few times and as you said, after looking at the hurdles I've turned back. The thing I found interesting is how in your deconstruction you pointed out that the RIR companies and the domain registration companies basically have the ultimate say on who gets to be online, but in your "What can be done" section you don't talk about them at all. Is this because you think there's realistically no way these monopolies will be budged unlike (possibly) Google or Amazon, or is there another reason they didn't get addressed? Is there any possible way they could be worked around in the future through legislation or are they basically immobile?

cybertoaster

Chairman of the mammary regulation committee
kiwifarms.net
I think it has to do with the mob. If Kiwifarms were on TOR then it would be much more “””scary””” and “””””mysterious“”””” to general people. if some twitter checkmark started talking about this “deep-web misogynistic harassment forum” then we are giving them more cake for their fat asses. Us purposefully hiding ourselves and letting ourselves be secluded from the mainstream internet is only going to harm us more.
We are already considered le ebin darknet haxx0rz by normies, who cares if we actually go TOR-only?
The only real problem is with internets between countries or blocks. I think everything else is solvable by Urbit (or your trannyverse, feel free to waste your time there).
Is there anything which could be done regarding the global fragmentation?
That urbit thing looks like a scam or a pipedream, they are gonna make an entire new blockchain+OS+internet?

1-555-come-on-now
Eventually it'll come to the point at which Google and similar are too big to be broken up even by the formidable anti-trust powers of the US Government. They might all just form a cartel and say, right, if you don't leave us alone we'll close down all social media and search engines worldwide until further notice. People today are so hooked on social media and smartphones and using Google or Facebook accounts to log in to other things that this will genuinely be a crippling blow. Businesses rely on it to drive traffic to them. It would cause panic and possible mass riots.
These companies are still weak against governments, I remember hearing about some LATAM country telling facebook they could either take down some lefty stuff and give them the info or they would block any transactions from ads for the platform for the entire country meaning facebook would be losing millions and running for free.

The zucc bent over immediately. You might think shit like facebook its irreplaceable to normies but in reality its never been easier to roll your own, there's so much open source shit any country even a half-developed one can roll its own twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. The costs involved are dwarfed by the money that would remain in the country instead of being siphoned all the way to silicon valley. Getting your own linux distro its ridiculously easy, and between RISCV and openSPARC rolling your own silicon isnt a fever dream like its used to. Back in the 80's the soviets despite all their resources couldnt make their own microprocessors, had to rely on Z80 and 8080 clones sometimes with the same bugs of the original design. Now they would do like current russia and just use openSPARC, can even sell them since its an open design and not an unlicensed clone.

If the eurocrats had any balls they could close their $15 trillion economy to our botnets and create their own FAANGs, but they wont because they are dumb dickless cowards and also corrupt as fuck.
Amusingly, the ACLU tried to warn us about this over a decade ago, and now they are even more a part of the problem themselves:
Turns out everybody has a price.

What about packet radio and loRA? I know those are slow as fuck but we're talking last resort

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
TOR is slow and inconvenient for normies. Even if it only requires installing something like Torbrowser most users won't do it. We'd probably shed a few morons, but gain a bunch of pedos, with site volumes crashing pretty much immediately.

It's also kind of a moot point as it's even more difficult to mitigate DDoS against a TOR site.

As for packet radio, the requirement for a ham license similarly induces a huge entry cost. And also you'd then be fully at the mercy of the FCC.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
@cybertoaster can't reply to your post for some reason so doing it like a retard
That urbit thing looks like a scam or a pipedream, they are gonna make an entire new blockchain+OS+internet?

1-555-come-on-now
Not gonna, already have. It's not just a OS + Internet, it's also a VM specification, implementation, higher level programming language, OS + software suite, network and identity model. It's not a blockchain, but it currently uses eth contracts to manage ownership of addresses.
It's working now and I'm using it daily. It seemed like a pipe dream for years then in the past year and a half picked up significant stream.

cybertoaster

Chairman of the mammary regulation committee
kiwifarms.net
TOR is slow and inconvenient for normies. Even if it only requires installing something like Torbrowser most users won't do it. We'd probably shed a few morons, but gain a bunch of pedos, with site volumes crashing pretty much immediately.

It's also kind of a moot point as it's even more difficult to mitigate DDoS against a TOR site.

As for packet radio, the requirement for a ham license similarly induces a huge entry cost. And also you'd then be fully at the mercy of the FCC.
There are far more pedos on the clearnet than in TOR now, metabook its full of pedo groups that hardly ever get v& for some reason. So going TOR would actually filter a lot of the normie scum away.

But yeah getting DDOS will be far easier. As for packet radio well we're talking desperate times so it would be like pirate radio.
@cybertoaster can't reply to your post for some reason so doing it like an exceptional individual

Not gonna, already have. It's not just a OS + Internet, it's also a VM specification, implementation, higher level programming language, OS + software suite, network and identity model. It's not a blockchain, but it currently uses eth contracts to manage ownership of addresses.
It's working now and I'm using it daily. It seemed like a pipe dream for years then in the past year and a half picked up significant stream.
Seriously? what you use it for?

Funny Yellow Dog

Wow!
kiwifarms.net
Absolute banger of an article. Good to see you on ZH, gotta network as a backup and boosting your profile. Sadly, it looks like barriers are the future. Too many glowies trying to fuck around to risk an open connection. Gamers, take note, popular shit like WarThunder and Genshit Impact wouldn't be playable in that future, so please rise up.

cuddle striker

troon all day to hypno
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a great article.
If you're in the US/EU, you get censored for things that lean right-wing or too feminist ("terf"), but if you go RU or other countries like it, you get censored for things that lean too progressive (letting us actual fags speak, posting gay stuff, letting troons talk freely).

It is a bind to be in. Thanks @Null for writing this in a way even not-tech people can understand clearly. The mergers between the bigger companies is a real concern. Since things are international it has to be nearly impossible to stop that consolidation of power with laws against monopoly and all.

I wonder where it'll go in the next few years.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a great article.
If you're in the US/EU, you get censored for things that lean right-wing or too feminist ("terf"), but if you go RU or other countries like it, you get censored for things that lean too progressive (letting us actual fags speak, posting gay stuff, letting troons talk freely).
And ultimately it's all run by big corporations that want to do business in all these places, so we end up in the worst of all possible worlds, with SJW censorship, Chinese censorship, Russian censorship, etc. The "community standards" at play as enforced by these media monopolies are of the repressive tendencies of every country in the world.

cuddle striker

troon all day to hypno
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And ultimately it's all run by big corporations that want to do business in all these places, so we end up in the worst of all possible worlds, with SJW censorship, Chinese censorship, Russian censorship, etc. The "community standards" at play as enforced by these media monopolies are of the repressive tendencies of every country in the world.
they'll all merge and everything will be monitored for think. "wrong"think we'll be any kind of thought. edit to add: right and left wings both have their authoritarian, populist fascism to run with, and will gladly do it

luckily some of us will be dead by then.