Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Death of the Internet

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

cum shit

Only here to say the n-word.
kiwifarms.net
I'm fine with whatever happens as long as I can still access the majority of open source software out there. If I'm not able to access a buildable version of GNU/Linux and Libre office I will continually ram raid federal buildings untill I get what I want.

Plastic Love

Futanologist, PhD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Great article. It is an absolute nightmare using the Internet in China and things have rapidly gotten worse in the past 5 years. Things are so controlled and in a bubble that you can't do or see anything the govt. doesn't approve of. For your typical Chinese citizen they don't care because they have what they need and it all works very well, but as someone on the outside looking in you realize how vulnerable everyone is to misinformation and propaganda. It's just weird that most people who don't have the resources to go study abroad are basically locked in this tiny world with no way to see out. But obviously it keeps things simple and under control for those in power, and no one questions it, so they do it.

The scary part is I can see western countries going the 'soft' route and removing everything 'controversial' under opaque laws as pressure from special interest groups mount. Of course controversial means whatever they don't like, which is narrower than what China is doing but serves the same purpose to keep things quiet and under control. You just end up with slightly more freedom than people in an authoritarian regime. And things will just keep shrinking. This is a real threat to the freedoms we enjoy now because most govt. officials are dishonest and lazy and know they can get away with stuff like this to keep themselves and their friends in power.

I don't have a solution other than the generic stay aware, do your research, stay active, and vote at all levels. And big ups to the farms for actually supporting free speech.

TurdFondler

BBQ Wars Casualty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The internet was a utopian fever dream. There is literally no benefit for anyone in power to allow an open and free internet and the reason the internet happened at all is because it was run and populated by autistic weirdos.

A free, open and egalitarian platform is antithetical to pretty much every institution's interests and I'm not surprised things are going this way.

The really unfortunate part is that we are the last ones who will remember the internet as it was. Kids growing up now are already used to walled gardens and normies don't give a shit.

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
Interesting read (from what I understood of it,) I have a layman question people can feel free to write off as stupid, I'm just curious: As technology advances and shrinks in both cost and size, will there ever be any scope for something like every home having their own server in the way we currently have a router, and could that in turn be used to create a kind of P2P internet?

Like I say, this might be a really dumb question, I've just been thinking a lot lately about what could possibly come after The Internet.

Chihiro

TERF GANG
kiwifarms.net
Very well written and informative with a message I think everyone here is passionate about. Thank you for this.

Oliveoil

Family melancholy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here are things I noticed from my time here:
1. I am more engaged in the discussion.
2. I have deeper discussions.
3. I make less stupid posts.
4. I respect/ ignore people's opinions more- less supergery.
There are truly some bad people featured here that because of their actions SHOULD have the public know.
So thank you Null.
I will support how I can.

Oxous

kiwifarms.net
Lmfao
97D4CEFE-2005-4483-A8B4-2BEC00524AD9.jpeg

catmasterj

Mildly Retarded
kiwifarms.net
A very well written article.

I'm nowhere near as technical minded as you are but you make a lot of great points. The Internet has been getting bastardised for way too long.

Concentrate Juice

deaf camp vibes
kiwifarms.net
From what I know, Russia allows cyber-criminals to operate within the country with legal immunity so long as they don't target Russian systems. This is likely to persist even through their great-firewall-esque detatchment from the Internet as it already does in China.
LUNAR BOVINE APT group when?