Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Death of the Internet

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Uncle Sid

only thing better than a good meal is a free meal
kiwifarms.net
My solution: an open-source app that allows anyone to turn their phone (or PC) into its own NNTP server. Each person gets to personally decide what groups are important to them, and how much content per group to retain/share. Throw in some mesh networking so that you can bypass the trad ISPs entirely if you want to.

HTTP is dead. Long live NNTP. Asynchronous. Decentralized. Ungovernable.

TurdFondler

BBQ Wars Casualty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My solution: an open-source app that allows anyone to turn their phone (or PC) into its own NNTP server. Each person gets to personally decide what groups are important to them, and how much content per group to retain/share. Throw in some mesh networking so that you can bypass the trad ISPs entirely if you want to.

HTTP is dead. Long live NNTP. Asynchronous. Decentralized. Ungovernable.
I've been thinking about a meshnet message board for a long time. Technically easy to set up, but how do you create a seamless online experience without a central server? Like, it's one thing to just shoot posts across the network but how do you ensure they appear chronologically, and how do you check if everyone has roughly the same version of the board?

The only idea I have is retarded, and you'd have your client pinging the network at set intervals and pulling down any changes since it last checked. It leads to a huge amount of othe issues.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Given that banks are also censoring accounts over politics (in addition to credit card companies) what would FedNow achieve, since it's just bank to bank transfers as far as I can see?

If the bank can still shut down your account, does it matter?
There's many banks and only four payment networks. It matters. I can start a Kiwi Farms Bank. I could never make a Kiwi Farms Card.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's many banks and only four payment networks. It matters. I can start a Kiwi Farms Bank. I could never make a Kiwi Farms Card.
It's amazing what those Diners club cards have morphed into. I am old enough to remember when payment processing meant filling out carbon copy bank sheets with the card embossed on it and mailing it to the bank that issued the card. Your payment processor was the post office. One point of failure yes, but also constitutionally protected. The post office could not refuse you for "reasons" .

Modern society has surrendered so much freedom on the altar of convenience. People put little recording devices in their home so they can just ask the lights get turned on, or the radio station to play, as opposed to just doing it themselves. They put little spy cameras facing the street that are on all the time just so they don't have to go to the door to see who has come knocking. These payment processors are the same. Instant convenience in exchange for infinite control.

Frank Herbert was dead right about the danger of the "God machine". A machine made in the mind of man is a terrible thing that will dominate and enslave. The real danger though is not the machine itself, but it's creators.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
The pendulum will swing back sooner and later, and it's going to be marvelous. Unfortunately things might get very bad before we get there. KF is one of the few places where mentally ill trannies are told the hard truth.
I doubt it but even if the pendulum swings back it will just be Neo-neo-cons trying to censor free speech and screeching about the children. I don't think it'll ever be based for centrist chads who just want to laugh at every side's expense.

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
How do you fix that though? The root problem of all these sites that are damaging what I and many others here value about the Internet is that they want to turn a profit, but why does it have to be so much?

So in the same light as “it’s not section 230, it’s the payment processors” and the end of the article where it ends on “just say no to non-court ordered takedowns” another idea I had that would definitely help alleviate this problem is;

Brands getting off Twitter.

The biggest contributor right now to the fear and censorship we are seeing on the Internet is in large in part because of money.
If I, on my personal Twitter account right now was to go and say something mean about a protected class like trans people, they would immediately @ the company I work for or the brands that sponsor me and try to remove my ability to make money.

Brands have always had people trying to get people they work for fired, this has been a thing long before the Internet was main stream. Shock radio DJs would have right wing conservatives calling up radio stations and sponsors trying to get people “canceled”. The differences now brands and corporations don’t have the luxury of receiving these anonymously via phone, email or mail.
When somebody publicly @‘s a Twitter account, that brands Twitter account are obligated to reply as soon as possible in an equally public matter as that’s the nature of social media.

If anyone here works for a large company with a large Twitter/Facebook presence will know that they normally have a dedicated social media manager running it. Social media managers are absolutely useless sub 100 IQ troglodytes who have managed to get pretty much their dream job as they get to work for a cool large tech company but do absolutely zero tech work. These malignant tumors on the company always have a fear that they could be cut at any moment because they are quite literally useless. So when say 4 angry blue hairs come after a brands social media, The social media manager has to show that they are an important part of the company and they will make a 10 page report about it and escalate it internally in the company. Needless to say like most sub-100’s who spend their lives on Twitter, their personal politics are almost always 100% hard left.
And I do really mean it that social media managers are useless and brands being on Twitter and Facebook are useless. It’s useless because they normally don’t have enough to say to keep up a social media presence so their Twitter accounts are normally filled with retarded fluff and these social media platforms are not manageable enough to be used as a real support platform for customers.

Before social media made it so brands can be contacted instantly, brands could take their time with complaints, they could weigh out the options have internal meetings about how to move forward and then if the issue required it would release a press statement over the controversy.
But now brands just subscribe to a fixed ideology and side with the “right” side instantly. Making rash decisions because a tweet got maybe 1,000 likes calling them out for doing business with a ______phobe.

I really think companies need to get off social media, they can advertise there no problem but don’t have an account that can be @‘ed by crazy people.