Where were you during 9/11 -

Vorhtbame

The prettiest zombie-slayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was in corporate law class (God, I'm old). We didn't take any days off, and the school stayed open, because we were damned if we'd let a handful of two-bit terrorists bring the whole world to a screeching halt.

cityofcaterpillar

the beard stays, you go
kiwifarms.net
2nd period in high school, around 9am. We heard about it early enough to catch the second tower falling on live tv. Dont remember much else about the day, if we were sent home or not. Sometime later in one of my classes it was a graded, in-class assignment to write a personal letter to a u.s. soldier serving in the middle east at the time. That was kinda weird.

Too Many Crooks

Depressed Doge
kiwifarms.net
I was in elementary school. The news was not announced to the student body; they thought the right thing to do was to let parents tell their kids about the attacks. I thought it was a smart move, to avoid panic. We were not let out for recess, however, and the teachers did not elaborate why. Classes resumed normally for the rest of the week.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Middle school. My dad had the news broadcasted on the radio and saw the footage at school.

Bogs

He didn't play Bond as a Welshman
kiwifarms.net
I was getting fired from Wendy's

edit: I was 12, got picked up after school (GMT); mom said that a plane crashed into the trade center. She looked fairly distraught, but I put it down to an accident. By the time we got home the second plane had crashed and the rest was history. My mom tried to teach me about middle-eastern politics, but I already knew that jet fuel don't melt steel beams the middle east was fucked; my mom had been working in the trade center during the 1993 attack. The worst part was that I couldn't watch Pokemon for a week.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was at home and ended up staying home. At first I thought it was the jews but that's neither here nor there.

Smarmy

Hip jung Fräulein
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was in 5th grade, and they didn't tell us what was going on. My teacher just told us to stay away from the windows, and we weren't allowed outside for recess. I remember asking her that if there was someone loose on the playground, wouldn't the younger grades be able to see them? Obviously they couldn't, because there was no one on the playground and we were quite a distance from NYC. I didn't find out what was going on until I got home, and even then I didn't really understand it.
I don't remember if we held a moment of silence the next day, but they would play an elementary school-ified version of "God Bless the USA" over the loudspeaker before we did the pledge, and then we'd carry on through the day as normal. We observed a moment of silence annually once I got into middle and high school, though.

MrRenegadeRooster

King of the Memekin
kiwifarms.net
I was in first grade and I remember my parents were glued to the news and like upset that morning, but they did not tell me why.

When i went to class having no idea what was happening I saw this girl in my class crying and i teased her a bit, and then the teacher came over like furious yelling at me asking me if i even know what was happening.

We had a tv in the class and she turned on the news and this person jumped off the building (me unsure of what happened) just saw this little tiny figure falling and i laughed because first grader me with no context thought it looked funny.
Got sent outside by a crying angry teacher.

After like it got explained to me and I started to understand the gravity of the situation (you know the comprehension that a 6 year old can achieve at least) I felt pretty bad.

But you'd think like, someone would take at least a minute and tell me right?

Flamesoul the Diabolical

dumb
kiwifarms.net
I was 5 at the time, in kindergarten. I don't remember the details, it's kinda fuzzy. But I guess that even though I was pretty young, I kinda understood what happened? At any rate, I vividly remember playing outside in my backyard at one point after it happened; I looked up and saw a plane flying overhead and freaked out, thinking it would fall straight down on my house and kill us all. I ran back inside, which obviously would have made me safer in my 5-year-old logic.

• Feels
Reactions: kittie

UglyOldJafar

kiwifarms.net
It was 3 pm where I lived at the time the planes crashed in the towers and I was on the way home from school after a teacher got sick. Remember I sat in the car of a friend's parents when the news about the towers were on the radio. At this point I thought some pilote screwed up royally, till the news about the second plane came in.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was 19 and in my second semester of college. I was getting ready to go to class when I saw the first tower burning on the news, but I thought it was footage of the first WTC bombing in 1993 and thought nothing of it. I walked off, and my mom called me back into the living room after the second plane hit. Weirdly, one of the first things I did was to get on my computer and go to the metal-rules.com forum, and it was full of stupid internet rumors like that the National Mall was on fire, or terrorists blew up the Brooklyn Bridge. I still went to class, even though my mom wanted me to stay home in case terrorists decided to attack a suburban Dallas community college. Then I got home and my dad lectured me about what I should and shouldn't do if I got drafted in the Army like he was.

• Feels
Reactions: The Great Chandler

Funnybone

Needs her password stapled to her forehead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We were vacationing somewhere and I was in a hotel room with my parents. I was a kid and saw my dad watching the towers fall on TV. I thought it was a movie or something-- I didn't get what was happening AT ALL. I remember he was crying like crazy and I said "Dad you're like Weepinbell!"
So now Weepinbell is forever a 9/11 Pokemon.

Melkor

Turbo Cancer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was in... probably 3rd grade. I can't exactly remember what happened. I think we were let out early and my parents told me everything when I got home.

My friend's mom was out at the movie store to rent a few movies, and the store had the news channel on one of their TVs. She then asked the clerk "what movie is that? My husband would love to see it!"

Feline Darkmage

Gamer Gril Queen
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I was probably 4 or almost 4 and I distinctly remember waking up to my mother cooking breakfast while my lil bro (who was literally a baby at the time) and father were asleep. The news was on and I saw the exact moment on live television when the second tower got rammed by the other plane.

A few days later dad and I were walking to a park a few blocks away from home and I asked him something along the lines of "Why did those men crash into the towers?" and I don't exactly remember what he said, but it had to do with the fact it was because they hated our country.

A Skeleton

kiwifarms.net
I was in 2nd grade and the classrooms all had their tvs on showing what happened but i think i just sat there and doodled because honestly I was just glad we didn't have to do real classwork. I think we also got out of school like half an hour early and at home my mom had the news on and I went from being pissed that she wouldn't let me change it to sailor moon to laughing at the people jumping out of the buildings

Reactions: kittie
Tags
None