Where's all the right-leaning creatives? -

Autopsy

kiwifarms.net
The premise is flawed because it assumes that being silent makes you left-wing and erases the people who have quite openly professed to the contrary. The modern complaint of the left is that the internet is too much a space for right-wing creatives, even after constant attempts to purge them. I tend to believe them.
Ironically, conservatives seem to be the early adopters of any new technology since the 20s, perhaps due to the prevalence of right-wing views among eggheads (engineers, scientists and mathematicians, formerly programmers). Right-wingers including conservatives are less "loud" because reactionaries don't have to broadcast their political views habitually like revolutionaries do.

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net
They silence and ostracize them. That's why you barely see them.
I think the mentality that creatives are inherently "left wing" is a dumb one, sure they like to push boundaries, but that doesn't mean they have to be essentially a part of the establishment thought. Remember in the past the establishment was right wing at one point.

I think they are just easily manipulated and afraid of their public image because many of them are cowards. Right Wingers just want to be left alone and not ostracized from society.

Plus the left are doing a terrible job as creatives as of late. They can't make good stories or entertainment in general worth a shit now.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
At this point any creative person you know that hasn't explicitly expressed their political alignment is probably right wing.
Not only exactly this, but also the idea that your politics should be front and centre in your creative output is something only the Left (and maybe just the Christian Right) really subscribe to these days. I know a great many creatives in a lot of fields, and they have as wide a spectrum of political beliefs as any section of people, but it's only the left-wing ones who tend to create political or social content. That's not just because right-wingers fear backlash (if they don't already have a loyal fanbase - Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, Orson Scott Card, Kanye West, Clint Eastwood), but also because they tend to be able to separate their art from their politics better. For the modern right-wing creative, politics and political ideas are a tool for solving problems and advancing mankind, for the Left they are an end in themselves.

Right-wing creators tend to be more aesthetically and emotionally driven when creating art. Right-wing comedians, for example, are more interested in just making jokes and observational humour rather than bludgeoning their audiences over the head with political campaigning with a thin veneer of comedy. Right-wing art tends to be more thoughtful and abstract, because the right realise that politics aren't the solution to everything and we need to think deeper. The Left see politics as a solution to literally everything so that's all they know to write about.

Also remember that most right-wing ideologies (fascism aside) tend to be very individualist as opposed to the collectivist ideas of the left (and the more recent leftist obsession with identity labels). That is reflected in right-wing art - they want their audiences to reach their own conclusions because they respect them as individuals. They are much more likely to acknowledge that they don't have all the answers, whereas the left these days are permanently terrified that unless people have their opinions dictated to them they might have Thought Crimes. That's why Woke media is so patronising and unsubtle - they think their audience is stupid and gullible and have to be spoon-fed the "correct" thinking. The left is terrified of independent thought, the right embraces it. The right believes that sunlight is the best disinfectant and that people will reach their own conclusions, the left believes that without thought control a utopian society is not possible.

This all, imo, stems from the fall of Communism and the effect it had on the left's psyche. For the entire previous century before the USSR's fall, Marxists believed (as per Marx's writings) that mankind would inevitably embrace Communism because that was the logical conclusion of the history of economics and society. When that all fell apart they went the other way, believing that unless leftist ideas were agitated for 24/7/365 they might die out. I think they might be right. So for the leftist, art is part of that campaign to try to manually shift society.

Also, a lot of right-wing art is underground or countercultural. The right has taken over meme culture and the internet's sense of humour in general. Openly right-wing bands and artists are underground and subversive. You don't see openly right-wing creative works in the mainstream because that's not where it's creators put it and that's not where its audience look for it.

Jabroni

King of Jerky
kiwifarms.net
The only 'right-leaning' entertainer i find amusing is AvE. He has a great way of speaking and his content heavily appeals to my interests. In his more serious videos everything he says I can agree with.

Zero0

kiwifarms.net
Yeah trying to be right wing on artistic circles is a death sentence.

Either way, the main guy behind Factorio isn't exactly left leaning.

The entire team is also entirely white men (And one women in office management,lol).

Rich Evans Apologist

And thanks for all the braps
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are some people that still think "My gender is an attack hellicopter" is fresh, original, funny. Why would those people need anything new? These old jokes and these old references are still good. This old art - it's still good; this old music is still good, all this new music is crap. I don't need all those bells and whistles; I just need a little bit.

"Things are fine the way they are, or actually, they were better for me a couple of years ago, let's go back to that" also doesn't bleed into artistic passions quite like the burning (if often naive) desire to change the world for the better does. Sure, empty, soulless corporate art doesn't really involve those passions - but both sides produce plenty of empty corpo art. It's the people doing shit in their spare time, and the huge market for people doing shit in their spare time, that gives art its definitively left-wing tinge.

Plus, the right tends to be the ones making big pushes to take music and video games and art more generally in a more limited, censored direction. It's only recently you see a lot of this neopuritanical 'woke' shit from the left stepping up to the plate to do it, but here's a secret: plenty on the left fucking hate them, and the woke's ire is mostly fixated on big pop culture. Plenty of smaller scenes are still experimenting, political tinges or not, and still innovating and creative. But if you only ever look at "conservative-friendly" media, how would you ever find them? Especially not when so many of these scenes operate based on physical locales, not some show you throw on cable tv subscriptions that people under 30 don't purchase.

We live in an era where there’s not much room for nuance, so unless you are completely self sufficient (as in you make a livable salary on Patreon or something) there is too much risk going against group think. You’ll get blackballed from networking events, passed over for roles, etc

there are a lot more conservative creative types than people realize but few are in a position to be open about it and most have decided it’s simply smarter/more pragmatic to not rock the boat because it could impact your ability to provide for your family

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
At this point any creative person you know that hasn't explicitly expressed their political alignment is probably right wing.
Precisely. If you see someone who's doing the bare minimum of virtue signaling or being mysteriously quiet on Twitter, it's possible that they might be the elusive conservative creative.

As the YA Bookgate thread shows, it's absurdly easy to get attacked over the most random shit these days. If you have a family and livelihood to protect, you lie low.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
It's absolutely fucking retarded to think that a difference in mentality or worldview causes one political side (especially with the current political side being almost entirely left to Stalin) to have 99% of the artistic works. Heck, you just need to point to Japan who have works like GATE that's near entirely wanking on how awesome the Japanese are.

The problem is that from day one the game is set against right wingers. If they go to university or college for a degree they'll need to go through years of brainwashing on the virtues of buttsex and abortion, and when reaching the market any mention of wrongthink will absolutely be used to make sure they will never work again in their industry, whether its by zealots or jealous people.

The most important thing about reaching it big in our world is being able to get promoted by more well known people. And since there is so much competition, even if you are the best writer in the world, no one will know your work unless you suck dick, and the easiest way for that is running in the same political groups.

And we now see how much its damaging because western media is fucking dead because the tiny group of nigger faggots can only tell two stories. Shit, even if you were a right winger in the past your work is being stolen and ruined in the hope your name will be replaced.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that there is no creative middle class these days. You're either a dirt slave or a star having your 15 minutes of fame, and those are both left-favoring demographics.

This has always been true to an extent - the stereotype of waitressing in LA while you wait for your big break is age-old - but the ghost-ship culture created by the internet has amplified this many times over.

JokahBaybee

kiwifarms.net
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that there is no creative middle class these days. You're either a dirt slave or a star having your 15 minutes of fame, and those are both left-favoring demographics.

This has always been true to an extent - the stereotype of waitressing in LA while you wait for your big break is age-old - but the ghost-ship culture created by the internet has amplified this many times over.
"Ghost ship culture"
That's an interesting term, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?