Which Eastern Bloc Country Would You Live In? - GO TO GULAG

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
If, for some implausible reason, you were compelled to be sent back in time and live in any one of the Eastern Bloc countries of your choosing, which one would it be?

I would probably choose Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia.

Only a suicidal maniac would choose to live in the Soviet Union, Ceaușescu's Romania or Hoxha's Albania. All of those places seemed like sheer hell.

No idea what Kádár's Hungary was like.

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic. I've been there before. Prague is breath-takingly beautiful, and so is the surrounding countryside and towns. It's repressive measures and police state were relatively weak and mild, especially compared to places like East Germany, or Hungary. Also, it wouldn't have been too difficult to defect from there, or set up a crazy profitable smuggling ring linked to the West.

Chonburi Flaps

But if not see boob shape? How know is woman?
kiwifarms.net
I only have experience of Yugoslavia, when it was just Yugoslavia so there I guess.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
Yugoslavia wasn't really Eastern Bloc though. Them and Albania were non-aligned.

Probably the Slovakia part of Czechoslovakia for me. I like mountains and hate hot humid summers.

• Agree
Reactions: Draza and Tookie

crocodilian

K. K. K. Rool
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic. I've been there before. Prague is breath-takingly beautiful, and so is the surrounding countryside and towns. It's repressive measures and police state were relatively weak and mild, especially compared to places like East Germany, or Hungary. Also, it wouldn't have been too difficult to defect from there, or set up a crazy profitable smuggling ring linked to the West.
This. The Czechs were notable for being a pain in the Soviets' asses, they constantly tried to bend the rules and retain their way of life. I think eventually Russia gave up on trying to get them to do anything other than the bare minimum of compliance.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not really the same eastern bloc but I'd love to experience life as a high ranking party member in Pol Pot's Cambodia.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
East Germany but only because you made me and I know German so I wouldn't be completely lost. I really wouldn't want to live in any Eastern Bloc country.

Duke Nukem

Leader of the Anti-Chad Extermination Squad
kiwifarms.net
I'd go for East Germany so that I could formulate a plan to jump across the Berlin Wall. Fuck communism.

Reactions: Foltest

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like many have said, East Germany or Czech Republic. Poland as a joke option so I can stare angrily at the Soviets imagining ways to murder them.

Romania only if I get to be part of the squad who guns down Ceaușescu and his cunt wife. (Consequently, life in Romania was so bad, it was the only Soviet Bloc country that was violently overthrown. So never choose Romania.

Also funny story about Romania. Ceaușescu outlawed abortion completely in Romania, where previously it was a form of birth control. This lead to massive unemployment as the population skyrocketed. University students experienced no jobs and shitty conditions. When they protested, Ceaușescu gunned a lot of them up. This resulted in massive protests, leading to riots and the resulting revolution lead to Ceaușescu being killed by the very people who would have been aborted, if he hadn't outlawed abortion. Karma works in funny ways).

Not really the same eastern bloc but I'd love to experience life as a high ranking party member in Pol Pot's Cambodia.
Just admit all you really want to do is shoot college professors, its ok.

Liber Pater

Your darling ❤
kiwifarms.net
Probably the USSR, due to the variety of different regions, universities, occupations, were available (given how large and diverse of a country it was).
Assuming that the USSR is not an option, I would have to agree on 1960s/1970s Czechoslovakia. They had a more developed economy and higher standard of living than any other Communist country at the time.
I would have to consider Bulgaria or East Germany as well, because of the well-developed (by Communist standards) high-tech economy of the former and the greater availability of imported goods in both countries.
However, the Czechoslovakian government seemed to be the least repressive of the three, and East Germany possessed one of the most extensive and frightening surveillance states ever devised (even by Eastern Bloc standards).

Just don't make me live in Albania pls

Tags
None