Which philosopher do you dislike the most and why? - Massive ego, autistic levels of verbosity, shallowness, degenerateness or just plain boring.

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
The exceptional demagogue got way better results than Thucydides ever did. Athens was destroyed by Nicias and his friends, not by Alcibiades or Cleon or any of the other blowhards Thucydides got butthurt by. Behind every dead democracy: the Eternal Oligarch.

EDIT: Also two plagues.
I agree - behind any dead democracy is the eternal oligarch. Or plutocrat.
But I seem to recall that the rot in Athens set in with Kleon, who only came to power because Perikles died in about 430bc - Kleon prepared the ground for the military defeats, the rise of the 30 tyrants and so on.
I nice string of posts. And great question, too!

ToroidalBoat

spoopy slime kiwi tuber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not too fond of the old Chinese philosophy of 法家 (legalism, literally "law house"). Introduced alongside other schools of thought, it taught that people are inherently bad and need harsh law and order to keep them in line, or something like that. When 秦始皇 (Qin Shi Huang) came to power as the first emperor of a united China, he mandated that legalism be the only permitted philosophy, IIRC.

By the way, he passed away from taking mercury pills in an effort to obtain immortality. Then he was buried in a tomb with a model of the world, complete with mercury seas and rivers.

Also I've mentioned this before (in funposts), but Immanuel Kant had a pretty crappy worldview IMO. In Kantland, eternal punishment for finite sins is justified, fapping "reduces one to an animal" or something like that, and promises can't be broken no matter what, to name a few that I can recall.

Oh yeah, and Marxism has caused A LOT of problems.

Kant because he basically started the SJW pc culture we see so much of today
How so?

Last edited:

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I agree - behind any dead democracy is the eternal oligarch. Or plutocrat.
But I seem to recall that the rot in Athens set in with Kleon, who only came to power because Perikles died in about 430bc - Kleon prepared the ground for the military defeats, the rise of the 30 tyrants and so on.
I nice string of posts. And great question, too!
Nah Kleon actually had a pretty good military record for Athens. Thucydides just hated the dude. I suppose he prepared the ground for military defeats by actually escalating their investment in the war but the Periclean deterrence strategy was simply not working and the treasury was going to be drained if they didn't do something decisive. Kleon gave them more decisive victories (well, in particular, Demosthenes did, but Kleon helped.)

Bum Driller

Cultural Appropriator & Cowboy Chemist
kiwifarms.net
Immanuel Kant is perhaps highest on my "this is utter crap" list, mainly because his ideas are not in touch with reality, but tertiary because he didn't have any kind of life experience as far as I know. Your opinions are completely worthless if they are grounded only on idle speculation with zero experience to back them up. Karl Marx is almost on par with him, but in his case my dislike is simply due to the fact that Marx had really horrendous ideas about how the world should be governed, based on oversimplification of society and misunderstanding of human nature. Granted, he was a revolutionary spirit going against the grain of his times, but as we can all probably attest, following down that path leads only to greater suffering for common man.

All in all, most philosophers I've read or read about seem to have many good and bad ideas. None of them, ever, has presented a system of thought that wouldn't be without flaws. Still, the above mentioned two are literally worthless, in my opinion.

GrotesqueBushes

kiwifarms.net
Russell Brand - His way of speaking annoys me but most of all the way he pretends to know everything when I don't think he has a clue. I guess everything about him annoys me. Even though he is a rich comedian but still dresses like enlightened hobo.
While he has the prerequisite hobowear, self importance and intelligible babbling, calling Russell Brand a philosopher is quite a stretch. If he counts, then so does basically any Uber driver.

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net
Russell Brand - His way of speaking annoys me but most of all the way he pretends to know everything when I don't think he has a clue. I guess everything about him annoys me. Even though he is a rich comedian but still dresses like enlightened hobo.
It was pretty pleasant for a disabled man to challenge him to put his money where his mouth is and stand for election and for Russell Brand to pussy out.

To be perfectly honest, almost all of them. It takes a special kind of ego and overinflated sense of self-worth to think the way you live your life and view life should be the way everyone does. Of course, not all philosophers think that but a lot of philosophy is just a heap of bullshit with a tone that deeply implies that. Some ideas are reasonable and understandable but they're usually hidden gems of varying quality in a shit pile. Have the same thoughts towards ethics, which are honestly kind of more bullshit. It's all mostly stuff that sounds applicable on paper but is absolutely ruined by the endless complexity of real life.

I like Nietzsche for more or less saying go your own way, you fucking loser.
People who like philosophy have also been, in my experience, human trash. A lot of Commies (for some reason), a lot of narcissists, a lot of guys who don't know anything useful. I don't really have a problem with philosophy, but it attracts insufferable people in a way that no other discipline does.

God of Nothing

kiwifarms.net
People who like philosophy have also been, in my experience, human trash. A lot of Commies (for some reason), a lot of narcissists, a lot of guys who don't know anything useful. I don't really have a problem with philosophy, but it attracts insufferable people in a way that no other discipline does.
When your study is broad enough to even consider things that toss it aside to be part of that study, there is no direction it's actually going. Only real world application it has would be discerning the beliefs of others and advancing your critical thinking in the same way debating endlessly with someone about inane shit that doesn't really effect them would. I kind of like ethics more for striving for something but loathe for how easily it can be tossed away by just mentioning how relative morality actually is. The best argument people can come up with for the "Does good exist?" question Socrates asks in favor of good's existence is an argument from ignorance. My ethics professor could never take moral relativity for an answer largely in part because it invalidated her beliefs and, in many ways, her profession. Also, if Kant is considered your best revolutionary thinker, holy fucking shit.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino