Whiskey - It's the water of life!

Syaoran Li

The Man In Black
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, any fans of whiskey around here?

Bourbon, Scotch, Canadian, Rye, Irish, it doesn't matter so long as it's whiskey. Figured I'd get a thread started around here.

Personally, I love whiskey and usually drink it neat. I mostly drink the cheaper stuff though. My favorite whiskey is Jameson, with Jack Daniels in a close second. Wild Turkey and Black Velvet are decent too. I'm weird in the sense that I like Scotch and bourbon equally, but I tend to drink bourbon more often because it's usually cheaper. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are awesome Scotch brands, as is Johnnie Walker Black Label, but the former two are rather pricey to regularly consume, so I just save those for special occasions like birthdays or New Years parties. As for Johnnie Walker, I've never bought it myself, but I did have a few shots of Black Label at a party once and it was good.

As stated before, I usually drink whiskey neat, but some of the really cheap low-end whiskeys like Early Times or Clan MacGregor are okay to mix with Pepsi or ginger ale in my book. Otherwise, I drink the whiskey straight. To mix Jameson with soda is just terrible in my book.

Feel free to share your whiskey experiences.

ADN_VIII

My legs are OK
kiwifarms.net
I usually stick to Johnnie Walker Black Label, partially because it was the most available at my grandad's bar, but also in homage. One of the voices that nudged me to deconversion was Christopher Hitchens and he drank Black Label, so I took it up too.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Whiskey is probably the reason I'm alive, not just in the fact it gives me enough reason to not kill myself, but also probably how on earth my parents got along enough to create me.

I'm kinda a scotch snob, while I don't turn my nose up to any drink that's given to me, I was lucky enough to make friendly with some rather well off people.

I was legit under age at scotch taste fund rasiers where it was a 4 figure affair so wasn't exactly checking IDs. I was still in the age (still today) just happy to get drunk. But getting tasting notes on why XYZ 25 is better than ABC 25.

I enjoy my bourbons and rye. But Scotch my word is my weakness. It's not really well known or supplied keep an eye out for George Dickle #12, do not get the 8. lol. But the 12 bests out the big makers for a lot less. It mixes fine and price is ok you don't feel that bad, but it also goes darned well with just an ice cube or chilled stone.

My "daily" (lets be honest all kiwis are borderline aklys) is either the Dalwhinnie or Highland park 18. Sometimes I oddly get a craving for bad scotch mostly in winter and depressed, but I jump on some J&B for that.

Johnnie Walker line is not a bad scotch per say but the cost of name makes it not worth it imho. One time for his 21st a friend of mine got a bottle of blue label it's about 200 in my area... he and I got drunk as fuck drank it out of coffee mugs because only cups he owned as a young single man, and we played scary video games. Was a good night. For cost though, I'd rather my go toos for a quarter or less than half respectively.

Also for those who want to know or pretend to be snobs, most of JW's label is mixed not a single like a proper scotch should be.

I oddly dated a girl related to the Jameson family, I don't touch that stuff anymore. She was a tiny little thing and I had roughly 50lbs on her, she could put me under the table and drive me home just saying.

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
I like Maker's Mark as a go-to, but lately I've really been enjoying the Maker's 46. It's smoother and has more depth than regular Makers but is just as potent at 47%.

I've also got a bottle of Maker's Cask Strength that I'm saving for either celebrating still being alive in 40-years or at the very least for my friends to remember me with. Neat with a drop of water to open it up and that shit is magnificent.

Last edited:

Ravelord

How quickly the tide turns
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm more of Whiskey and Coke myself, but I also like to drink shots too. My brands are Jack Daniels and Cardhu (but it's rare for me to drink it, because it's not cheap). If there's none of those, I'll take either Johnny Walker or JB. But that's more for when I hang out tbh.

Syaoran Li

The Man In Black
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd drink Scotch more often than I currently do, but most of the Scotch I can afford is cheap blended stuff like Clan MacGregor or Johnnie Walker Red Label. I prefer single malts (in fact, Glenfiddich 12 Year was my first whiskey ever), but those are too pricey to drink on any day that's not a major special occasion. So I tend to drink more Bourbon and Irish whiskey.

But as stated before, I like Bourbon and Scotch equally. It really depends on my mood.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have shit taste in whiskey. I drink rum as a rule, but when I drink whiskey I tend do something like Old Crow.
Old Crow used to be high end.
After a breakup and I spent a good few months going deep in handle of handle of old Crow I don't even like being in the room of it.

Andrew Jackson's fav whiskey, oddly I never burnt any injuawns, just my own internal organs on that stuff.

Whiskey is also proof Canadians are useless. Even the Japs can produce solid whiskey.
Yamazaka 18 is fucking stellar. I'd put that against some serious high dollar, like Macallen 18. The 12 is much more reasonable in price (the 18 is a steal for quality tho). I have a bottle of Nikka coffee whiskey, Japan got a blessing from the Scotch gods and are allowed to call a few of theirs scotches.

Any man who drinks dickle is always welcome to share a glass with me :drink:

Syaoran Li

The Man In Black
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Black Velvet is a decent Canadian whiskey given its low price. It's about $10 for a fifth where I live and it actually tastes good neat despite its low price. While not as good as Jameson, Johnnie Walker, or Wild Turkey, Black Velvet is a good whiskey in its own right. It's good enough to drink neat (as I usually drink it) but cheap enough that you can use it in mixed drinks without feeling like you wasted good money and good whiskey.

I can make a mean Seven & Seven using Black Velvet instead of the more expensive Seagram's Seven. While technically not a "true" Seven & Seven, it tastes just as good and is cheaper.

InactionMan

Not a man in action
kiwifarms.net
My cheap go-to bourbon is Old Heaven Hill. It's aged 8 years, is 86 proof and is never more than 10 or 11 dollars per liter.

Reactions: Syaoran Li