Whiskey - It's the water of life!

Pocket_Sand!

The sand is not in my pockets, but in my soul.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for the recommendation. As of now, my plan for september is Benriach Peated CS and a bottle of Arran 10.
If some motherfucker happens to take the last Benriach my go-to store has the Auchentoshan in stock for €50, which sounds is a fair price then. I might make October a double Triple feature with Auchentoshan TW and Laphroaig TW.
Laphroaig is a winter whiskey for me, I love the smoke on a cold day, and sitting around a fire with a dram of a lovely Islay scotch is one of the little pleasures in life that I truly savor.

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
I decided to go with Arran 10 and managed to get a Benriach peated CS.
IMG_20200914_211513.jpg
Interestingly, the latter doesn't have anything about colouration or chill filtering on the sleeve, only the bottle label. Hadn't seen this yet, only the opposite. 56% ABV.

Smells earthy, oaky. Cinnamon, vanilla, baked apple, pinch of vibrant white pepper. The latter three combine into something like salted caramel. Reminds me of Laphroaig QC without the barbecue meat part.

Taste: earthy, with bonfire smoke and white pepper, faint cinnamon, nothing like the butteryness of the non-peated Benriach 10. Still oily and heavy, nice body. Sweet apples and peaches, on the edge of the stronger notes.
Leaves a long-lasting taste of bonfire smoke, faint, but unmistakable honey and barley sweetness with mandarine sprinkled in, shifting between sweet and sour. Goes on for well over ten minutes.
Readily, easily drinkable right after pouring, without any water added. A bit of waiting seems to bring out the sweeter notes without diminishing the peat. Thick and viscous legs.

A wee drop of water added:
Less smoky, or rather, the sweets and fruits are brought into balance, and the peat takes on a more maritime character.
Salted caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon still. Pinch of white pepper, peaches and apricots, sour-ish mandarines. Maybe a hint of white chocolate, higher quality than the nauseating shit that's commonly found in most stores. Smell and finish both sweeter. Good stuff both with and without of water. I wonder if I'll be able to grab a bottle of the second batch, and how much different that's going to be at 60,6% ABV. If I can grab a bottle at all with the re-branding going on at Benriach.

@Pocket_Sand! any luck with the Machrie Moor CS?

Pocket_Sand!

The sand is not in my pockets, but in my soul.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Pocket_Sand! any luck with the Machrie Moor CS?
Unfortunately no, and it's a really stupid reason why. Binny's (the large store chain here in Illinois that I usually go to with my weirder requests), managed to find me a bottle and got it into their Lakeview Chicago store (kind of their main location), just in time for the riots in Chicago to result in 9 Binny's locations being broken into and looted. Nothing says protest and how much black lives matter like breaking into a high end liquor store and making off with a bunch of shit out of the rare and collectables room. As a result of this, my Machrie Moor is lost, assumed smashed or stolen along with hundreds of other bottles that night. So the search is on again.