Whiskey - It's the water of life!

• Stealth is back for people browsing at work (it's jank as shit but whatever).
    The email should be working now.

Pocket_Sand!

The sand is not in my pockets, but in my soul.
True & Honest Fan
Tomatin Caribbean Rum Cask Finish

If you decide to go with that, please review it here as soon as you crack open the bottle. I've been on a serious rum cask finish kick lately, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Tullamore Dew, and I've loved every single one. I wasn't aware Tomatin had a rum cask finish out, it can be tougher to find in general than some other brands here in the Midwest USA.

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
If you decide to go with that, please review it here as soon as you crack open the bottle. I've been on a serious rum cask finish kick lately, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Tullamore Dew, and I've loved every single one. I wasn't aware Tomatin had a rum cask finish out, it can be tougher to find in general than some other brands here in the Midwest USA.
Sure, will do. Unfortunately it's a limited run of 7200 bottles, but Tomatin isn't very well known in my experience.

Pocket_Sand!

True & Honest Fan
Sure, will do. Unfortunately it's a limited run of 7200 bottles, but Tomatin isn't very well known in my experience.

I'm commencing the search here, but I don't hold out much hope, you're absolutely right, Tomatin isn't terribly well known at all, particularly outside of Europe in my experience. It's a shame really, I've quite enjoyed the few offerings from Tomatin I've had, but they're a rare treat for sure.

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
^Speaking of...

I picked up some Skrewball peanut butter whiskey on a lark. Very sweet, but tasty, and offers interesting prospects for mixing.

Skrewball and Bailey's. (Or probably any Irish cream liqueur.) Nice little boozy dessert.

The auchentoshan 3 wood and 18 yr are sublime but fuck me the latter is pricey even without export. Paid for it by the scottish dram, fortunately landlord was an enthusiast and wantes to share his collection. Bang on about the talisker, i love the smoke but the salt doesnt sit well. Aside from the usual talisker storm i had this xmas, was gifted with a 10yr glenmorangie which uve always been suspect of. Turns out actually quite nice, creamy and fruity, doesn't rock the boat.

horrorfan89

Now I'm Playing With Power!
dad gave me a bottle of gentleman jack for christmas still haven't opened it yet though though I'm almost through my regular bottle of jack. gonna save the double mellowed gentleman for something special...like maybe if biden and thee new demo run congress passes the 2000 stimuls bill. The only reason ill ever have to toast old joe

Boris Blank's glass eye

January order: Tomatin triple - 2009 rum cask, Cu Bocan Creation #2, a 18 mini - and a Glenallachie 15 mini.
IMG_20210111_191408.jpgIMG_20210111_191448.jpg

To my eyes the Glenallachie is the darkest, it's like Auchentoshan Three Wood on steroids. While the distillery's page doesn't specify, it uses the same kind of maturation scheme: ex-bourbon finished in Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez casks for a total of 15 years. Presented at 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered, it's a veritable sherry bomb. The distillery has an interesting history: established in 1967, predominantly used for blending, acquired by a trio of industry veterans - Trisha Savage, Billy Walker, and Graham Stevenson - in 2017 who scaled back production in order to focus on quality instead.

Neat:
Fat, lazy, slow legs.
Smells like what you'd expect: raisins, plum, prune, butterscotch, brown sugar, and then spices: cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
Tastes like what you'd expect as well: cherry, plum, raisins, high quality dark chocolate in the background, spices. In addition to this, faint citrus notes and Gros Michel bananas.
Finish: the spices and the dark chocolate go on, the vegetal, green taste of slightly unripe bananas.

A dash of water relaxes, mellowes it all out: the scent is the same, but softer.
Tastes sweeter and introduces fresh fruits: sweet orange, plum, figs. The dark chocolate loses some of its cocoa content, the cinnamon comes forward, and that Gros Michel ripens a couple of days.
The finish shortens. Easier to drink, but loses some of its initial character.

After 20 or so minutes pass, it takes on a whole new character: slightly overripe strawberries, the rest of the aforementioned fruits got fresher, the chocolate and the butterscotch got completely pushed into the background. Cinnamon and nuttiness, green apple peel in the finish. Wonderful experience from start to finish.

Superb. This is definitely older stock, so get it while it's available. $80 isn't cheap, so get a miniature instead if you don't want to shell that much out.
I suspect the distillery isn't very well known for now, though.

IMG_20210111_204731.jpg

Tomatin 2009 Rum Cask
IMG_20210111_191503.jpgIMG_20210111_191556.jpg
Overall 10 years old - 9 years in traditional ex-bourbon barrels plus 1 year in ex-Caribbean rum barrels. Presented at 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered.
This gives exactly what the box and the site promises: rummy aromas and flavours of various tropical fruits - mango, pineapple, coconuts, bananas - with salted caramel leading and mocha lingering in the background. Long, sweet finish with slightly bitter and vegetal accents. Lovely dram from a distillery which has the decency of not making any promises it can't keep. I wonder just how much of this character comes from the rum barrel influence and how much of it is the innate quality of the spirit.

Adding the tinyest bit of water... doesn't make much, if any difference.

It's a limited run of 7200 bottles, but they might make it a permanent addition to the range if it performs well. At least I hope so.
IMG_20210112_201900.jpg

While I usually don't open new bottles while there's still booze in the old ones, I'm curious about the Cu Bocan, so that'll come tomorrow. The 18 will have to wait until I have enough time in the evening to let it fully open.

Pocket_Sand!

True & Honest Fan
January order: Tomatin triple - 2009 rum cask, Cu Bocan Creation #2, a 18 mini - and a Glenallachie 15 mini.
View attachment 1843552View attachment 1843555

To my eyes the Glenallachie is the darkest, it's like Auchentoshan Three Wood on steroids. While the distillery's page doesn't specify, it uses the same kind of maturation scheme: ex-bourbon finished in Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez casks for a total of 15 years. Presented at 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered, it's a veritable sherry bomb. The distillery has an interesting history: established in 1967, predominantly used for blending, acquired by a trio of industry veterans - Trisha Savage, Billy Walker, and Graham Stevenson - in 2017 who scaled back production in order to focus on quality instead.

Neat:
Fat, lazy, slow legs.
Smells like what you'd expect: raisins, plum, prune, butterscotch, brown sugar, and then spices: cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
Tastes like what you'd expect as well: cherry, plum, raisins, high quality dark chocolate in the background, spices. In addition to this, faint citrus notes and Gros Michel bananas.
Finish: the spices and the dark chocolate go on, the vegetal, green taste of slightly unripe bananas.

A dash of water relaxes, mellowes it all out: the scent is the same, but softer.
Tastes sweeter and introduces fresh fruits: sweet orange, plum, figs. The dark chocolate loses some of its cocoa content, the cinnamon comes forward, and that Gros Michel ripens a couple of days.
The finish shortens. Easier to drink, but loses some of its initial character.

After 20 or so minutes pass, it takes on a whole new character: slightly overripe strawberries, the rest of the aforementioned fruits got fresher, the chocolate and the butterscotch got completely pushed into the background. Cinnamon and nuttiness, green apple peel in the finish. Wonderful experience from start to finish.

Superb. This is definitely older stock, so get it while it's available. $80 isn't cheap, so get a miniature instead if you don't want to shell that much out.
I suspect the distillery isn't very well known for now, though.

View attachment 1843595

Tomatin 2009 Rum Cask
View attachment 1843611View attachment 1843614
Overall 10 years old - 9 years in traditional ex-bourbon barrels plus 1 year in ex-Caribbean rum barrels. Presented at 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered.
This gives exactly what the box and the site promises: rummy aromas and flavours of various tropical fruits - mango, pineapple, coconuts, bananas - with salted caramel leading and mocha lingering in the background. Long, sweet finish with slightly bitter and vegetal accents. Lovely dram from a distillery which has the decency of not making any promises it can't keep. I wonder just how much of this character comes from the rum barrel influence and how much of it is the innate quality of the spirit.

Adding the tinyest bit of water... doesn't make much, if any difference.

It's a limited run of 7200 bottles, but they might make it a permanent addition to the range if it performs well. At least I hope so.
View attachment 1843618

While I usually don't open new bottles while there's still booze in the old ones, I'm curious about the Cu Bocan, so that'll come tomorrow. The 18 will have to wait until I have enough time in the evening to let it fully open.

Read your review of the Glenallachie, and it sounds exactly like a bottle I'd like to add to my collection. Checked my local distributor, and whaddya know it's in stock up in the Lakeview Chicago area store for $70 USD. I just called to see if they can get it down to the store close to me, and it'll be on it's way tomorrow morning. It will NOT end up like my Cask Strength Machrie Moor.

Wasteland Ranger

WELCOME TO THE WASTELAND HERETIC
^Speaking of...

Skrewball and Bailey's. (Or probably any Irish cream liqueur.) Nice little boozy dessert.
That could be fun. Bailey's is remarkably expensive for no good reason I find, there are some pretty good alternatives but Bailey's does occasionally roll out alternate flavors and some of them are actually... pretty tasty.

Boris Blank's glass eye

(Tomatin) Cu Bocan - excuse me, Cù Bòcan Creation #2. 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered, NAS, only the cask types are specified: Japanese Shochu casks and European Virgin Oak casks. According to whisky blogger Thijs Klaverstijn (Words of Whisky) it's
  • 83% ex-bourbon single malt from 2005, finished for 7 years in ex-shochu casks
  • 17% 5-year-old single malt matured in European virgin oak
(source)

Clear, thin, fast legs.

The nose is very ethereal, almost non-existent. It's definitely there, but hard to define. Needs a bit of time to manifest. Butter, almonds, lime, faint cantaloupe. Traces of earthy, mineraly peat. I had to push my nose quite deep into the glencairn to find any aromas, even after swirling it around.
Buttery mouthfeel. Mild earthy, mineraly peat in the background, almost like a toned-down Talisker 10. Green apples, pears, lime, spices. Slightly bitter.
The finish is a lot sweeter, though. Mostly cantaloupes, maybe a bit of apricot.

This is an interesting whisky, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would.
I'm going to need a bit more time.
IMG_20210113_211457.jpgIMG_20210113_211532.jpg

The visual presentation, however, is 10/10. The old expressions looked dull with the boring bottle shape and the vaguely canine smoke-skull, and this one's on a whole another level.

Pocket_Sand!

True & Honest Fan
(Tomatin) Cu Bocan - excuse me, Cù Bòcan Creation #2. 46% ABV, non-coloured and non chill filtered, NAS, only the cask types are specified: Japanese Shochu casks and European Virgin Oak casks. According to whisky blogger Thijs Klaverstijn (Words of Whisky) it's
  • 83% ex-bourbon single malt from 2005, finished for 7 years in ex-shochu casks
  • 17% 5-year-old single malt matured in European virgin oak
(source)

Clear, thin, fast legs.

The nose is very ethereal, almost non-existent. It's definitely there, but hard to define. Needs a bit of time to manifest. Butter, almonds, lime, faint cantaloupe. Traces of earthy, mineraly peat. I had to push my nose quite deep into the glencairn to find any aromas, even after swirling it around.
Buttery mouthfeel. Mild earthy, mineraly peat in the background, almost like a toned-down Talisker 10. Green apples, pears, lime, spices. Slightly bitter.
The finish is a lot sweeter, though. Mostly cantaloupes, maybe a bit of apricot.

This is an interesting whisky, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would.
I'm going to need a bit more time.
View attachment 1845680View attachment 1845681

The visual presentation, however, is 10/10. The old expressions looked dull with the boring bottle shape and the vaguely canine smoke-skull, and this one's on a whole another level.

That is some very impressive glass work to be sure. A bit of a shame the whiskey wasn't as likeable as you hoped. Give it a few more, sometimes I find I have to get a decent way into the bottle before I can appreciate what's in it.

Boris Blank's glass eye

Tomatin 18

Matured in ex-bourbon ("traditional", as per the site) casks and finished in first-fill Oloroso casks for a total of at least 18 years.
46% ABV, all natural - AFAIK everything above their entry single malts, Legacy/Dualchas and 12 are like this. Very fat, oily, slow legs, they need a good couple of seconds to start flowing.
IMG_20210116_204710.jpg
Neat:
Intense, deep, fruity and sherried nose. There's the usual fresh citrus character, oak, some of the expected sherry notes: cherries and raisins. Fresh, slightly sour plums, a bit of sweeter dark chocolate. I've read a reviewer pondering whether or not to buy the 30yro on its store page calling this "definitely younger than 18 years old", and I suspect the poor sod might be used to whisky matured in old, tired casks. According to Ralfy's Tomatin 30yro review, even that expression is still spirit-driven; while I can't comment on that, it's definitely true for this one.
Small sips lead with citrus and apricot with a dark chocolate backing, followed by a finish of oak and caramel. Larger sips however have a darker sherry lead: prune, dried cherry, dark chocolate, tropical fruit, with a mellow, honeyed butterscotch finish. It might have something to do with the spirit leaving completely different kinds of impressions when making contact with different parts of the tongue. On the sides it's a lot more tropical fruit and honey than anything, finishes with oak and sour green apples. Always full bodied with a long finish. Marvelous.

With a wee bit of water:
The nose loses most of its freshness, taking on a mostly sherried character. The taste is "unified": full-bodied, rich, smooth Oloroso. Walnuts, nougat, honey sweetness, dark chocolate in the background. Raisins, soft, sweet plum, cinnamon, faint ginger and cloves. A little bit of mango. The finish is drier this time. It lost some of its freshness, but it still isn't tired.
A bit more time brings back some of the citrus and apricot flavours. Surprisingly, some vanilla appears.

As opposed to the Glenallachie, this is not a sherry monster, rather, it's an oloroso spin on the distillery character. The 14yro Port Finish had much more of a transformation than this.
Pretty damn good. Lovely, lovely dram. I'd love to keep a full bottle of this as daily sipper, but this is where it starts getting too expensive for me. A mini every once in a while should be fine, though. It would be interesting to compare this to the Cask Strength expression which is matured using the same scheme - ex-bouron with Oloroso finish, only for a shorter time and bottled at 57,5% ABV.

Wasteland Ranger

WELCOME TO THE WASTELAND HERETIC
So with all the talk about Tomatin and tonight definitely being a night for scotch I went out and snagged a bottle of Dualchas for 32 bucks.
IMG_20210118_190905967.jpg

Given how much I liked the Glenfarclas (another Highland scotch iirc) I am optimistic about this. Nose is certainly pleasant.

Followup - the Dualchas is absolutely gorgeous. New favorite scotch and honestly like it more than some of my bourbons. Oh my god it's so nice.

Last edited by a moderator: