Whiskey - It's the water of life!

Crass_and_Champ

Herr Mut Krebs, at your service.
kiwifarms.net
So obviously we've all got a go-to Scotch, but what about bourbon or rye? I like Michter's Straight Rye but recently I've been enjoying Slaughter House and Straight Edge. Just tried Heaven Hill the other day and it wasn't bad.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

The Shadow

Hard times and .45's
kiwifarms.net
Clan MacGregor is a good Scotch for mixed drinks. It's cheap enough to justify mixing, and it's decent when consumed neat but it really shines when mixed with sodas or in cocktails.

I can make a mean Rob Roy with Clan MacGregor and Gallo Sweet Vermouth, and it even mixes well with Ginger Ale or Pepsi.

I'm self-employed and make my living mowing lawns, weeding gardens, and doing yard work in the Spring and Summer, and raking leaves in Autumn, so Winter is a bit of a lean time for me.
Clan McGregor's a much better buy than say, Seagram's 7, which I bought to make Old Fashioneds on the cheap once. I should have spent the extra $1.50 for Beam or Evan Williams White label.

McGregor's a real man's drink. It'll turn you into a goddamn sexual tyrranosaurus. Just like me. :lol:

• Agree

Syaoran Li

White Trash Degenerate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So obviously we've all got a go-to Scotch, but what about bourbon or rye? I like Michter's Straight Rye but recently I've been enjoying Slaughter House and Straight Edge. Just tried Heaven Hill the other day and it wasn't bad.
My go-to bourbons are Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels, though Jim Beam is also good too.

Reactions: Crass_and_Champ

The Shadow

Hard times and .45's
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who thinks they're too good for Wild Turkey is a faggot.
Wild Turkey is good, and WT 101 is even better. I think my favorite Bourbon is Basil Hayden's though. It's part of the Beam family, but it's a fantastic value. Better than any of the overrated Buffalo Trace lines (although I enjoy Eagle Rare if it's cheap).

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Knob Creek. I like the sweeter aftertaste it has. And I can buy the 1.75L bottle of it occasionally.

Angel’s Envy for the first drink though, so smooth and nice.

B

BF 388

kiwifarms.net
My local just got in a couple of bottles of Pappy Van Winkle.

Cheapest bottle was $750, second was a 20yr old at $1900.

The shop owner let me hold the 20yr old bottle.

The Shadow

Hard times and .45's
kiwifarms.net
My local just got in a couple of bottles of Pappy Van Winkle.

Cheapest bottle was $750, second was a 20yr old at $1900.

The shop owner let me hold the 20yr old bottle.
Pappy (and most of BT's bourbons) are stupid overrated. Once the hype dies down (which will happen after enough people drink it and are disappointed) it'll go back to being another expensive whiskey for people that can't handle the spice of a bourbon with rye in the mash. People playing at being sophisticated are buying into the hype. Pappy, Blanton's, all of that...just status symbol whiskeys.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
B

BF 388

kiwifarms.net
Pappy (and most of BT's bourbons) are stupid overrated. Once the hype dies down (which will happen after enough people drink it and are disappointed) it'll go back to being another expensive whiskey for people that can't handle the spice of a bourbon with rye in the mash. People playing at being sophisticated are buying into the hype. Pappy, Blanton's, all of that...just status symbol whiskeys.
Oh, I agree. Got no intention of dropping coin on that. Just remarkable to see them all the way out here.

I'm not a huuuge fan of bourbon compared to whisky, but if I do drink it, two of my favourites are Buffalo Trace and Dickel.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My personal opinion about whiskey is that it should have two and only two traits.

It should taste bad and fuck up your memory.

I read this in some book by Tom McGuane, but I agree with it.

The Shadow

Hard times and .45's
kiwifarms.net
Oh, I agree. Got no intention of dropping coin on that. Just remarkable to see them all the way out here.

I'm not a huuuge fan of bourbon compared to whisky, but if I do drink it, two of my favourites are Buffalo Trace and Dickel.
BT is great if your bottle shop isn't price gouging. That whole line is pretty solid, just hyped to hell and back. Dickel is a freaking bargain though. If I can't get Ritttenhouse, Dickel makes my go-to Rye.

I feel like up to about $35, bourbon is the better bargain. From there on up Single Malt scotch has a lot more variety to offer. Especially if you like peat smoke as much as I do.

B

BF 388

kiwifarms.net
BT is great if your bottle shop isn't price gouging. That whole line is pretty solid, just hyped to hell and back. Dickel is a freaking bargain though. If I can't get Ritttenhouse, Dickel makes my go-to Rye.

I feel like up to about $35, bourbon is the better bargain. From there on up Single Malt scotch has a lot more variety to offer. Especially if you like peat smoke as much as I do.
This stuff is great as well if you can get it https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_929116/rollins-tennessee-whiskey-700ml

Reactions: The Shadow

Randall Fragg

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, I'm going to do something a bit different, because I recently got a Heaven Hill tasting set for real cheap. It's got 5 100Ml tubes of various American whiskies, and I'm going to review them.

PIKESVILLE RYE

Price: Around $50 (USD)
Proof: 110.
Palate: Like Satan's delicious, delicious jizz. This is a rye, and it is goddamn spicy. Like, send your mouth to the burn ward spicy. The high proof just adds to the burn, and makes it an inferno of alcoholic pleasure. I made a Manhattan with some of mine, and let met tell you, it makes a great fucking cocktail. The strength helps keep it's distinct flavor when mixed, and it packs a nice punch.

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Price: Around $30 (USD)
Proof: 86.
Palate: Dry, much more so than a lot of bourbons. It has some sweetness, but it's very low key. The difference in flavor was unexpected, but not unpleasant. It works well in a Manhattan, as the dryness helps complement the sweet vermouth. It's very affordable for a single barrel, and I recommend it to anyone who wants something good but relatively cheap.