Whiskey - It's the water of life!

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I found Angel’s Envy Rye just recently. It was not fucking cheap, let me tell you. It is however pretty damn good. I haven’t had much rye, and this is finished in rum barrels. It has an almost caramel aftertaste, very nice. I’ve only tried it straight, but I think it will be nice in a Manhattan.
I don't want to sound like a snob since I like it a lot, but it's my go to for coffee. Not that it's bad and "needs" a mix it just pairs so well with coffee imho. When I treat my self to a "hotter" coffee I think that works so well.

Tried out Jameson recently. Jameson is good.
I dated a girl who was in the Jameson family, she could out drink me like comical amounts. Before and after dating her Jameson has a bad history with me, it's always a "deal breaker" you know the drink you shouldn't have had? Yea it was always jameson some how.

It's not bad but I won't touch the stuff.

Mr. A. L. Mao

Has the inclinations to...mount women
kiwifarms.net
Usually go for Crown Royal, used to drink the normal one but gave me a weird drunk and bad hangover, go with the vanilla with coke nowadays.
Currently drinking vanilla + maple crown royal with coke, takes the cloying sweetness of the maple flavor down a notch, really good stuff, would recommend.

For myself it was something that I grew into. Also I tend not to get hungover/blind drunk on the stuff because it's expensive to neck and replace.

My preference is for Single Malt Scotch and I'm partial to the flavor of peat, so when I can I try to get my hands on it, the more peat used in the process the better. Johnny Walker Blue Label has a really delicious flavor, as does Talisker, or Isle of Skye scotches. I also enjoy Rye or Bourbon, though I can't honestly say I enjoy Jack Daniels.

I will buy cheap when I have to, but of course I prefer the more expensive kinds. Best Scotch I had was a Suntori that cost 1200 bucks for the bottle, that a friend of mine had been given. That was primo scotch whiskey.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recent travels: Glenfarclas 12 - fantastic sherried goodness from one of the few distilleries that do basically everything right, easily overtaking GlenDronach in my preferences. as good though that is. If you can find their 12 and 18 1 litre bottles still, pick one up. Their latest line of 10, 15 and 17 in 70cl is quite a price-hike (although only because the older ones were crazy low priced for their quality). You can still find the older ones for 50% less per quantity but they're running out.

AnCnoc 12 - apparently ageing does this spirit no favours, and the 18 may be worth skipping. While I agree that this is a complex and interesting single malt, it has a milder form of the scent note that squicks me out in Old Pultney, not sure how to explain that rather seawater-like flavour from the northern coastal distilleries, but it triggers my vomit warning. Purely a personal association and otherwise all signs point towards this being a fine malt.

Springbank 10 - I was foolish to leave this so long, it has a robustness that reminds me somehow of Talisker, though without the heavy smoke and pepper.

Arran 10 - an absolutely perfect creation. Due to the newness of the distillery and its shaky beginning, I'm not confident to invest in their 18 yet, but the stock can only get better as the years pass. For a 10 this is both complex, and remarkably lacking in alcohol nose. It has some of the freshness of Benromach's organic and 10, with crisp pear, vanilla, fruity without a strong citrus edge, and tempered by a mild sourness from the oak and rind type flavours. One of the most complex but also drinkable 10s I have tried and wonderful value for money.

Glengoyne 18 - a distillery that can stand both as an introduction to Scotch single malts, but also something to continue enjoying as you try other things. From the bottles I've tried from this brand, it lacks much of the inconsistency of Glenlivet, or the homogenised blandness of Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. You can buy and enjoy a Glengoyne, then purchase another bottle a year or two later and not encounter bizarrely different flavours as is now so common with Scotch nowadays. The focus on single-source cask maturation and strong age statement is laudable, and the lack of fussiness with the product can give you confidence that their 18s, 21s and more will not have been fiddled with, over-blended or otherwise compromised. Just leave it in the barrel, then bottle it, and enjoy the effects of the ageing process - it should be that simple, right? Seemingly not with the modern Scotch industry.

I dove a little into Bourbon, though am little beyond "compared to Scotch this all tastes like a throat lozenge". Bulleit frontier (red label) and rye (green label) both went down well despite their strength, though I am ill-attuned and can't tell much of a difference between the two. Woodford reserve was more polite and had a hell of an enjoyable soft and lingering aftertaste.

I have a Cask Orkney 18 (Rattray bottling) in the post as stocks seems to be drying up. This is unbranded Highland Park stock, but much cheaper and better (higher volume, less fuckery).

Reactions: Syaoran Li

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
Great stuff, I'll be getting a bottle of yellow spot for St. Paddy's day this year
Now I'm jealous. I can get Green Spot where I live, but not the Yellow. Last time I was in Ireland I had the Yellow, and it is fucking amazing. Also went on the old Jameson distillery tour, and picked up a bottle of the Distiller's Reserve, which was much better than their standard product, which is pretty great to begin with.

I still like the Yellow Spot better though.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net

Since I am the topic creator, I would like to expand the focus of this thread to also include moonshine in addition to proper aged whiskey.

It can be the lame store-bought commercial moonshine sold in liquor stores and consumed by pathetic soyboy hipster pansies LARP'ing as country folk, or it can be authentic good ol' shine from deep back in the hills and hollers of the Appalachian Mountains and elsewhere (I'm sure many of our tracksuit-clad Slav kiwis have experience with Samogon or whatever the Russian version of moonshine is called)

As a hillbilly who grew up where I did, I have experience with moonshine. Glenfiddich 12 was my first experience with an aged commercial whiskey, although I have also had experience with authentic homemade moonshine around that same time and I love it.

I've had moonshine from Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina. There's all sorts of good variants. White Lighting, Mountain Raspberry, Apple Pie, the list goes on.

One of my relatives even made bubblegum moonshine one time, flavored with Dubble Bubble. It was awesome, but I prefer either some mountain raspberry or good old-school white lightning.

Let me tell you, moonshine is strong, tastes like fire, and gives you the best buzz ever. Drink some real quality moonshine and you'll be so wasted that think you can take on an entire army.

Also, if you're buying real moonshine and not commercially produced liquor store shine, be sure you know who it is you're buying from and if possible, how they make it.

On the occasions I drink moonshine, I only get stuff made by close friends and relatives because I know they make quality stuff and aren't allowing any toxic impurities in their shine.

Why am I so picky about this? Because bad moonshine is a lot like good hentai. It can make you go blind.

REGENDarySumanai

Not So Bad Once You Try It, Right?
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Since I am the topic creator, I would like to expand the focus of this thread to also include moonshine in addition to proper aged whiskey.

It can be the lame store-bought commercial moonshine sold in liquor stores and consumed by pathetic soyboy hipster pansies LARP'ing as country folk, or it can be authentic good ol' shine from deep back in the hills and hollers of the Appalachian Mountains and elsewhere (I'm sure many of our tracksuit-clad Slav kiwis have experience with Samogon or whatever the Russian version of moonshine is called)

As a hillbilly who grew up where I did, I have experience with moonshine. Glenfiddich 12 was my first experience with an aged commercial whiskey, although I have also had experience with authentic homemade moonshine around that same time and I love it.

I've had moonshine from Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina. There's all sorts of good variants. White Lighting, Mountain Raspberry, Apple Pie, the list goes on.

One of my relatives even made bubblegum moonshine one time, flavored with Dubble Bubble. It was awesome, but I prefer either some mountain raspberry or good old-school white lightning.

Let me tell you, moonshine is strong, tastes like fire, and gives you the best buzz ever. Drink some real quality moonshine and you'll be so wasted that think you can take on an entire army.

Also, if you're buying real moonshine and not commercially produced liquor store shine, be sure you know who it is you're buying from and if possible, how they make it.

On the occasions I drink moonshine, I only get stuff made by close friends and relatives because I know they make quality stuff and aren't allowing any toxic impurities in their shine.

Why am I so picky about this? Because bad moonshine is a lot like good hentai. It can make you go blind.
It's not just American anymore.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
I might have to try out some of that Yellow Spot then if I can find it.

I'm a huge fan of Irish whiskey, which is why Jameson is my usual go-to for booze.

I've only had Green Spot once at a party, but it was very good. If Yellow Spot is anything like Green Spot, then it should be awesome!

Reactions: vertexwindi

Randall Fragg

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got a 50ml sampler of :bluelabel: a while back and I've been waiting to try it. Goddamn it is good. Very mild peat, there's an initial burst of very mellow sweetness which peaks and trails into smokey peat and a mild, tingling burn. Aftertaste is mild, burning beat. Very smooth, very flavorful. Truth be told though, I preferred the Gold label and it's more floral, honey tones. And above both I preferred The Balveine 14 year Caribbean Cask, with it's fiery, spicy flavor.
(I sound like a tremendous faggot, don't I?)

REGENDarySumanai

Not So Bad Once You Try It, Right?
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got a 50ml sampler of :bluelabel: a while back and I've been waiting to try it. Goddamn it is good. Very mild peat, there's an initial burst of very mellow sweetness which peaks and trails into smokey peat and a mild, tingling burn. Aftertaste is mild, burning beat. Very smooth, very flavorful. Truth be told though, I preferred the Gold label and it's more floral, honey tones. And above both I preferred The Balveine 14 year Caribbean Cask, with it's fiery, spicy flavor.
(I sound like a tremendous faggot, don't I?)
You do sound like a tremendous faggot by posting that. When someone asks me how it tastes, I just say good.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
While I usually go for Irish whiskey and bourbon, I do enjoy a fine single malt Scotch but usually don't drink it due to budget.

However, I decided to go to my local liquor store and I was going to buy a bottle of vodka, but instead I decided to go for a whiskey. Normally I'd buy Jameson (it is my favorite brand and it is close to Saint Patrick's Day) but my local store had a sale on The Glenlivet Founders Reserve.

So, I bought it and I'm currently sipping on it right now and it is very good. Smooth but strong, like any good Scotch should be.

Quoookie

kiwifarms.net
White & Mackay, Bulleit Bourbon, and Johnnie Walker RL or BL are the ways to me lil black heart. Jameson, Jack D, and Wiser's SB if I need a brain transplant. Love all whisky though. Usually neat(90-5% of the time) but I do pussy out with some cold water from time to time especially if I'm eating a lot ex. Thanksgiving and Christmas I tend to eat as much as I drink.

Quoookie

kiwifarms.net
A 40 of Ballatine's is on the menu. I somehow feel like I should be drinking this while begging for money on the street. It makes feel like a bum or a bum's drink. I kinda like that feeling.

Angry Shoes

Red Wire: Right Temple, Black Wire: Left Temple
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Currently sipping some Elijah Craig Small Batch. My favorite is probably Four Roses Single Barrel, but EC is really good too.