Who really invented the internet? - Because YouTube told me it was the French

Rabidcolombian

kiwifarms.net
The internet may be the greatest invention in history, so I have a patriotic stake in this.

Did American's, for the most part, invent the internet?

This video pisses me off

It fails to mention TCP/IP protocols, which is practically what makes the internet possible, which was invented by Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf, both Americans. It ignores almost completely ARPANET.

Please don't sugarcoat the answer, I really do want to know. Also, who do you think was the real MAIN guy who invented the internet.

TalmudSperg

New Zealander & Agriculturalist
kiwifarms.net
I kind of think if it wasn't for tim berners lee, normies (that is, non computer scientists, academics, government agents) wouldn't care about the net.
It would still be here, but almost impossible to navigate, and almost impossible to upload content onto.
Not only would it be hard to use, but there would be almost no content on the internet. Do you remember internet content from 1976 to 1986?

• Agree
Reactions: totse

BingBong

Pls don't take my 4skin. :(
kiwifarms.net
I kind of think if it wasn't for tim berners lee, normies (that is, non computer scientists, academics, government agents) wouldn't care about the net.
It would still be here, but almost impossible to navigate, and almost impossible to upload content onto.
Not only would it be hard to use, but there would be almost no content on the internet. Do you remember internet content from 1976 to 1986?
I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net

I think your average internet sperg like most of us here would be bouncing between BBSes. I dunno. It might have been fun.

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
I think your average internet sperg like most of us here would be bouncing between BBSes. I dunno. It might have been fun.
Usenet had some interesting groups. Also, censorship was completely impossible there, unlike the modern, megacorp dominated, Internet. And you didn't need an always-on connection, just sync once a day.

Faber

inherently violent
kiwifarms.net
Rabidcolombian said:
Did American's, for the most part, invent the internet?
Hello, I am a Eurofag who doesn't particularly like Americans and is exasperated by their tendency to (a) be extremely full of themselves and (b) constantly take credit for other nation's accomplishments.

Americans did, for the most part, invent the Internet.

Virtually everything that created the internet (the TCP/IP protocol stack, etc.) or that made it interesting (telnet, email, FTP, etc.) was originally envisioned and implemented by Americans. In fact, much of it was originally developed specifically on behalf of the US government, with US government money, or by people working for the US defense industry.

TalmugSperg said:
if it wasn't for tim berners lee
I have no doubt that Berners Lee was a highly competent coder and I don't want to diminish his accomplishemt, but all things considered he was basically just the guy who was in the right place at the right time. He is a Columbus, not an Einstein. Good at his job, yes. Visionary, also yes. But in the end, his work is a semi-obvious continuation – an incremental improvement on – stuff started by others. The basic paradigm of the web, hypertext, was first envisioned by Vannevar Bush, an American. The HTTP protocol was kind of a logical next step once we had Gopher and Veronica, written by Americans.

Rabidcolombian said:
Also, who do you think was the real MAIN guy who invented the internet.
There really, genuinely was no main guy who invented the internet. If you want to be accurate, the internet was gradually pieced together by a massive dogpile of US computer scientists and US defense industry engineers. If you want to be pithy, the internet was invented by, well, America.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are a lot of things that spergs claim America invented that we didn't actually invent. However, we can fairly take credit for this one.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
BBS's were a shitload of fun, they just raped your phone bill.
With better billing structures in place? I'd sign on for a stint in BBS only world.

Reactions: Never Scored

Dysnomia

Absolutely AFABulous
kiwifarms.net
There are a lot of things that spergs claim America invented that we didn't actually invent. However, we can fairly take credit for this one.
As a 'Murrican I love feeling smug about this. :biggrin:

I read Australia invented wi-fi though. And I love me some wi-fi.

Rabidcolombian

kiwifarms.net
For the most part, I think we didn't invent the most basic things but we did make them better and they would look incredibly different today if we hadn't done anything. A German invented the car, but an American made it affordable to own one. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The Concord is a great British invention, but no one could afford to go on it, making the product almost a footnote in history and useless.

A product also needs to be available to the layman if it's to make an impact in history.

• Agree
Reactions: c-no

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A product also needs to be available to the layman if it's to make an impact in history.
This is one of the ways something does get a spot in history if it wasn't given wide use in say a war. Quoting an Aussie acquaintance but the internet itself at least did start off as something from the US military. Were it not for the things that made it available to the civilian market and general public, what the military had would of been confined to them.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For the most part, I think we didn't invent the most basic things but we did make them better and they would look incredibly different today if we hadn't done anything. A German invented the car, but an American made it affordable to own one. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The Concord is a great British invention, but no one could afford to go on it, making the product almost a footnote in history and useless.

Americans have invented a fair amount of things, there's a few wikipedia pages on it. But you are right. For instance, we really didn't invent helicopters or submarines. But we did show the value in using them.

AnAccount

kiwifarms.net
I think the soviets almost created some bootleg russian computer network called OGAS before the internet was a thing

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the soviets almost created some bootleg russian computer network called OGAS before the internet was a thing
From what I recall, they were onto making it until it got shot down thanks to not getting the funding it needed. Had the Soviet government given it the funding it needed, the Russians could of been making his own shitpost long before we did.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino