Whose head has gotten bigger: J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin -

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
I think it was about the characters as middle-aged adults.
Hermione was supposed to be late 30s moving into early 40s in Cursed Child is what he's referring to. Play Hermione was very obviously older.

Rowling never said Hermione was black. She said Hermione could be black, because a black actress was cast for the character in a stage production. For fuck's sake, I don't know why I have to keep repeating this. Rowling has said a lot of stupid shit about these books but retroactively changing Hermione's race isn't one of them.
I know I'm late. You're technically correct, but you're missing that her actual comment was that she never said Hermione was white in the books, and thus could be played by a black actress. That's what was called out, because it was a blatant virtue signal when the books clearly describe Hermione as white. Just say it's not accurate but she was the best actress for the role and stage is different and no one would have cared.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
At this point I consider Winds of Winter/Hope for Spring the literary equivalent of Half Life 3. i.e Never gonna get finished out of a combination of authorial ennui/ lack of interest and the impossibility of living up to it's own hype.
I'm 400% sure we'll have a date for their release as soon as the show is over.

The Estatist

kiwifarms.net
It's emabrassingly obvious Martin bit off more than he was able to chew when doing his books. Sure, he might have managed it for awhile, but his many-viewpoint approach damned his pacing as he moved past the third book. The problem that he needs certain characters to be aligned in space and time for plot points of actual significance to occur means that he wastes a staggering amount of focus on on characters sitting in place and doing nothing important, or pursuing dead-end plot points simply meant to eat up time while another character does something of actual significance. This becomes the case more and more as the series drags on.

For example, Tyrion spends about an entire book on a boat going to visit Daenerys, since the two of them can’t meet until Daenerys’ story in Mereen is finished, until she’s rooted out the slaver conspiracy, and that plot had to drag on for two whole books because she couldn’t return to Westeros too early, since the succession war was still going on, and the war of succession needed Stannis to be defeated and go North to the Wall, Balon Greyjoy needed to be killed so Euron could take over and try to steal Daenerys’ dragons, while Robb Stark needed to be killed so that the North fell into the hands of usurpers and also so that Bran had to flee north of the Wall…

Any author who could pull this off would be a goddamn unreachable master. Martin is not one. He wrote himself into corners with too many plot lines going nowhere or not in a direction he can easily rerail, and is not skilled enough to redirect the plot in a believable way. Managing the intersection of too many arcs in a way that still produces a solid story is beyond the abilities of most authors. Many do not try, but Martin had the hubris to think he could do it.

To really back up my point, check the TV show. See, once it caught up to the novels it had to continue since it was too profitable to do otherwise. So the showrunners, consulting with Martin, took a sword to many arcs or subplots. Euron? Thrown away. The Young Dragon, and Dorne? Cut. Jaime and Brienne’s quest? Gone. Immediately, the show, always a bit of a slow burner, took on a blisteringly fast pace and covered what I’m sure will be many, many novels worth of content.

Lioness

SONICHU QUOTE
kiwifarms.net
They kind of are whitewashing, though. Lavender Brown raceshifted when she started fucking Ron.

View attachment 703460
First they made the character with the surname BROWN a black girl and then they quickly made her white so she could be a main character's love interest? Holy shit, I'm actually less mad about current year's forced diversity.

RavenCrow

It's only gay if the balls touch.
kiwifarms.net
George RR Martin just seems worn out. Even before the show.. his last two books just haven't really held up to the first three. I think the show has made things worse and I wouldn't be surprised if he never finishes the series, or even the next book. I don't see much ego though. He isn't a SJW.

J.K. on the other hand has become ridiculous and has to make up bullshit about her characters because she's out of material.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
George RR Martin just seems worn out. Even before the show.. his last two books just haven't really held up to the first three. I think the show has made things worse and I wouldn't be surprised if he never finishes the series, or even the next book. I don't see much ego though. He isn't a SJW.
On Thread: JK. 100%. George is just sad.

I think GRRM started off excited then suddenly remembered that he wrote the books in such a way that you could never truly adapt them. Sure he's going to be remembered because of the popularity of the TV show but that's a double edged sword given the effort that went into the books. As it currently stands, I think seeing the rich tapestry he was writing reduced to a dish towel has mostly killed his desire to write. I don't blame him, it's gotta be hard to have your piece de resistance taken over and parts of your writing rendered out to 'trim the fat' as well as having the ending spoiled. You can see in his interviews from the start of the TV show and onward he got progressively more bitter. Money can't buy you happiness, as the saying goes, and it can't make the fact that you suffocated your literary baby any easier to handle either.

I'll be very surprised if we ever see the next book. Which sucks for the people who gave it the time and interest to get the series picked in the first place. He'll just write off-shoot stories or more world building of the past for coffee table style books until he dies. ?

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
One theory I've heard on YouTube is that we should dispel with the illusion that Martin doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing. That is, an ending has naturally presented itself, but Martin doesn't want to write it, because the logical ending is "the Night King wins." After all, the Nine Kingdoms have spent what, five doorstoppers slaughtering each other's armies, burning each other's crops, and otherwise bleeding themselves dry in the face of oncoming winter and a zombie apocalypse? "Zombies fall, everyone dies" is the perfect Greek tragedy ending for the series, a fitting punishment for the hubris of everyone involved.

ATaxingWoman

Stefannie Lööfven, Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
Based on what little I know about him, George R.R. Martin just seems like a tired old Santa Claus looking fella who has to keep on writing despite wanting to retire. The TV series is boring cockshit fuckery which keeps getting shoved into my face whenever a new season starts, but I don't know how much creative control he has over it or how it compares to the novel series (I own the first book, although I have never bothered opening it).

J.K.Rowling, on the other hand, is still reminiscing about a series that has been over and done with since 2007 when she should have moved on to other literary projects or just retired altogether. Neither her stunning and woke revelations about things like Hermione akchually being black nor the Newton Scammer spin-offs have added anything of value to a canon that was established and concluded over a decade ago. The cow's udder has been empty for twelve years (or eight, if you care about the films), and yet to this day, she does everything she can to stay relevant.
Amazing, she's suffering from the same appearance changing condition as Michael Jackson did!

DanteAlighieri

Anti authoritarian asshole asshole
kiwifarms.net
That is, an ending has naturally presented itself, but Martin doesn't want to write it, because the logical ending is "the Night King wins."
That is the logical ending isn't it? It can't be anything else because there's never a chosen one in reality and in a world where "shit happens" happens daily that's the ultimate shit to happen.

I know a lot of people are upset about Martin's seemingly glacial progress on the sixth book in the series, but I tend to cut him a lot of slack. Just because you know where the story is going doesn't mean you know how it's going to get there or that you can easily find a compelling way to tell it. And it's probably hard not to be self conscious about it when HBO is plowing ahead of you and now you'll have to deal with a swarm of fans saying the series did it better when the next book is finally released. I wouldn't be shocked if the last two books (should they ever see release) differ greatly from the series since a lot of discovery comes out during the process of writing and not necessarily during the planning.
They're already going to differ because of all of the plot contractions that were made for the series. Things like the Golden Company, Young Griff, Huron Greyjoy and the Dragon Horn, Gendry (Baratheon), the Grey Lady and some of the other various side plotlines have already diverged from the series as it was being made, so the books will be valuable to literary GOT fans just to see what's different or divergent from the series.

Based on what little I know about him, George R.R. Martin just seems like a tired old Santa Claus looking fella who has to keep on writing despite wanting to retire. The TV series is boring cockshit fuckery which keeps getting shoved into my face whenever a new season starts, but I don't know how much creative control he has over it or how it compares to the novel series (I own the first book, although I have never bothered opening it).

J.K.Rowling, on the other hand, is still reminiscing about a series that has been over and done with since 2007 when she should have moved on to other literary projects or just retired altogether. Neither her stunning and woke revelations about things like Hermione akchually being black nor the Newton Scammer spin-offs have added anything of value to a canon that was established and concluded over a decade ago. The cow's udder has been empty for twelve years (or eight, if you care about the films), and yet to this day, she does everything she can to stay relevant.
Amazing, she's suffering from the same appearance changing condition as Michael Jackson did!

She has the new Potterverse Fantastic Beast films shit to tard cum out for attention as the main scriptwriter and producer for it. It will probably be a trilogy, and have the great opportunities to add more woke potter facts to the universe, as it's set directly in a period where American isolationism and the rise of Fascist and totalitarian regimes of Europe started to incubate. (Stalin is different because he inherited a regime and made it more totalitarian.) Though it will probably pussy foot around that. Aside from that we have the stage play, which will undoubtedly get a film adaptation as there is a market for it, and it seems Rowling has nothing better to do.

Azovka

I coulda been a contender
kiwifarms.net
She has the new Potterverse Fantastic Beast films shit to tard cum out for attention as the main scriptwriter and producer for it. It will probably be a trilogy, and have the great opportunities to add more woke potter facts to the universe
If by “add more woke facts to the universe” you mean ruin her own shoddily built world, then sure.

Haven’t seen many “woke” points there though so far, unless you count having a main Jewish character that ends up joining literally wizard Hitler, and a sexy Asian lady becoming a slave snake.

1. Some American bowl-cut orphan that literally exploded in the first movie comes back from the dead and turns out to be the 3rd long lost Dumbledore brother.

2. A Lestrange (family of Bellatrix & Death Eaters) raped a black woman for fun. She then died in childbirth.

3. The child resulting of said rape gets her actually wanted half-sibling drowned on the Titanic.

4. Wizard Hitler kills muggles to stop the Holocaust from happening. Yes, you read that right.

5. Woman-on-man magic drugging and rape is played as comic relief, and the man feels bad about it after.

6. Jewish female character that can read minds joins magic Nazis because she thinks they’re the good guys.

7. Dumbledore and magic Hitler have some weird, non-lore friendly pendant with their blood in it that stops them from fighting each other.
JK Rowling just really didn’t want to follow through with her “Dumbles is gay” woke comments, and show him not wanting to fight magic Hitler because of feelings. Hence, convenient magic pendant.

8. Voldemort’s pet snake is actually a sexy Asian lady that has the hots for the long lost American Dumbledore brother in the 2nd movie.

9. Main black character dies for no reason. Secondary black character is doomed to die because of a curse his father put on him ages ago out of spite.

None of these seem very woke to me.

Oh and to answer the thread question - Rowling’s the worst.

Rykel22

kiwifarms.net
If by “add more woke facts to the universe” you mean ruin her own shoddily built world, then sure.

Haven’t seen many “woke” points there though so far, unless you count having a main Jewish character that ends up joining literally wizard Hitler, and a sexy Asian lady becoming a slave snake.

1. Some American bowl-cut orphan that literally exploded in the first movie comes back from the dead and turns out to be the 3rd long lost Dumbledore brother.

2. A Lestrange (family of Bellatrix & Death Eaters) raped a black woman for fun. She then died in childbirth.

3. The child resulting of said rape gets her actually wanted half-sibling drowned on the Titanic.

4. Wizard Hitler kills muggles to stop the Holocaust from happening. Yes, you read that right.

5. Woman-on-man magic drugging and rape is played as comic relief, and the man feels bad about it after.

6. Jewish female character that can read minds joins magic Nazis because she thinks they’re the good guys.

7. Dumbledore and magic Hitler have some weird, non-lore friendly pendant with their blood in it that stops them from fighting each other.
JK Rowling just really didn’t want to follow through with her “Dumbles is gay” woke comments, and show him not wanting to fight magic Hitler because of feelings. Hence, convenient magic pendant.

8. Voldemort’s pet snake is actually a sexy Asian lady that has the hots for the long lost American Dumbledore brother in the 2nd movie.

9. Main black character dies for no reason. Secondary black character is doomed to die because of a curse his father put on him ages ago out of spite.

None of these seem very woke to me.

Oh and to answer the thread question - Rowling’s the worst.
Yikes. That's, wow.

Reactions: Marco Fucko

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
One theory I've heard on YouTube is that we should dispel with the illusion that Martin doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing. That is, an ending has naturally presented itself, but Martin doesn't want to write it, because the logical ending is "the Night King wins." After all, the Nine Kingdoms have spent what, five doorstoppers slaughtering each other's armies, burning each other's crops, and otherwise bleeding themselves dry in the face of oncoming winter and a zombie apocalypse? "Zombies fall, everyone dies" is the perfect Greek tragedy ending for the series, a fitting punishment for the hubris of everyone involved.
The irony is that even if the Wall doesn't fall and the Night King never moves south, half of Westeros is gonna starve to death anyway because they're going into winter with deeply depleted food reserves. And of those kingdoms that have been relatively untouched by war, the Reach is getting pillaged by Euron and the Stormlands are getting conquered by Aegon. That basically leaves Dorne as the only nation with an intact food supply going into winter (the Vale is struggling with the mountain clans and the Westerlands probably used up a lot of food during the war of the five kings). By the time Dany gets her shit together and rolls into Westeros there's going to be nothing left to conquer. Which is probably a good thing for her, because, aside from her dragons, her army is pathetically unequipped to mount a winter siege against a fortified castle.

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
The irony is that even if the Wall doesn't fall and the Night King never moves south, half of Westeros is gonna starve to death anyway because they're going into winter with deeply depleted food reserves. And of those kingdoms that have been relatively untouched by war, the Reach is getting pillaged by Euron and the Stormlands are getting conquered by Aegon. That basically leaves Dorne as the only nation with an intact food supply going into winter (the Vale is struggling with the mountain clans and the Westerlands probably used up a lot of food during the war of the five kings). By the time Dany gets her shit together and rolls into Westeros there's going to be nothing left to conquer. Which is probably a good thing for her, because, aside from her dragons, her army is pathetically unequipped to mount a winter siege against a fortified castle.
Makes the whitewalkers seem kind of unnecessary. Winter killing everyone would be metaphor enough.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino