Whose head has gotten bigger: J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin -

The irony is that even if the Wall doesn't fall and the Night King never moves south, half of Westeros is gonna starve to death anyway because they're going into winter with deeply depleted food reserves. And of those kingdoms that have been relatively untouched by war, the Reach is getting pillaged by Euron and the Stormlands are getting conquered by Aegon. That basically leaves Dorne as the only nation with an intact food supply going into winter (the Vale is struggling with the mountain clans and the Westerlands probably used up a lot of food during the war of the five kings). By the time Dany gets her shit together and rolls into Westeros there's going to be nothing left to conquer. Which is probably a good thing for her, because, aside from her dragons, her army is pathetically unequipped to mount a winter siege against a fortified castle.
That's always been on of the ponderous aspects of GOT that I've wondered on.

As the war drags out, the material and troops for the political infighting will have to reach an end point as well. Stannis was defeated by the Northern climate, more than by fighting Ramsay Bolton.

The North seemingly has been cleared out of available troops by five years of war in the south and essentially civil war at home, even with the wildling refugees, there isn't enough material left to actually equip a strong formal army.

The Riverland's has been cleared out by the insurrection as well, and there isn't a single house outside of the Martell's or Dorne that hasn't suffered larger scale casualties, from the civil war. Even the Lannister have been running the kingdom on borrowed time and money.

The real equalizer will probably be Daenyris with her slave army, dragons, and seemingly endless hordes of Dothraki, (or that fact that everything seemingly just falls into her lap because muh breaker of chains mother of dragons, she really is the most boring character in the books) but again the book never emphasized whether this will be a war fought in the south against Cersei or if she'd come to the north.

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
I'll go with Rowling, but it is a lot closer than most in this thread are making it. The biggest difference being that Rowling embarrasses herself on Twitter, while GRRM does so mostly on his blog. Excuse me, Not A Blog. :roll: Meaning her tweets are potentially seen by millions while GRRM's blog draws at most thousands. Which was on LiveJournal, but he moved it, not because it was so 2007, but (I kid you not) for fear of being spied upon by Russians. And upon which he shills everything, maps, paintings, other books he's editing, maybe only excluding GoT toilet paper. But if it existed? He's worse than Rowling that way to my mind, but, as noted, has a far smaller reach.Oh, and also NY sports teams, this despite living in New Mexico.

BTW, there used to be an entire forum dedicated to doing nothing but trolling both GRRM and fans of ASOIAF/GoT.

Is winter coming? The Not-A-Site waiting for the novelization of GoT. And waiting. And...waiting...

Yeah, it is still there, but is basically on life support. Even they've gotten bored with the whole thing. There used to be an amazing thread listing everything that had come and gone since the first books was published, but if it is still there, I can't find it. :(

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Fatboi can be pretentious sure but I always got the impression he had a more sincere love for what he writes about. I'm not gonna accuse Rowling of being a completely cynical cash grabber, but I don't get the impression her relationship with wizards and broomsticks is the same Gurm has with knights and dragons.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
Yeah we really need a GoT thread. Though I don't hold any hope for the future, for me the series is already deader than disco. The memes are great though!
Jaime and Brienne’s quest? Gone. Immediately, the show, always a bit of a slow burner, took on a blisteringly fast pace and covered what I’m sure will be many, many novels worth of content.
Jaime and Brienne is probably the most important relationship in the series. Of course they axed it.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
So far George isn't going out of the way picking fights with youtubers or making random-ass retcons to his stories (Daenerys was totally black you guys, those racists just whitewashed her for the series!), so he's the superior to jK in every sense of the word.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
J.K. Rowling by far. She is doing everything possible to stay relevant and I have no idea why. She's a billionaire. My reasoning is that she's an airhead attention whore that's addicted to the spotlight and wants to stick in it as long as possible. Which is why she's getting political and running around making as many characters as she can gay or minorities. Over books that are already written. Its pointless other than to have her be talked about.

George R.R. Martin is basically your typical fantasy author that gets popular. I've always wanted to put this on a chart, but you can see exactly where a fantasy, sci-fi author gets mainstream success because the number of books they put out decreases and the time between them increases, almost exponentially. He's also probably going to just kill everyone so he knows how it ends, making it harder to pump up the motivation to write. He looks at his piles of money and then looks at the 450 page descriptions of food, armor, bloodlines and terrain he has to describe along with 450 pages of plot and another 100 pages for food and just goes back to his money. He's like, "Fuck it, I know how it ends. And if I die there are notes so everyone knows whats going to happen anyway." Then he goes swimming in his money. His computer also probably takes 45 minutes to turn on and another 45 minutes to load the fucking book he is working on.

And he's allegedly writing a From Software Game. Its going to have the most amount of words in any From Software game ever made.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
J.K but there are some reasons for that.
1: She wants the fame
2: She's willing to say/do the cringy things that will make the media give her fame
3: R.R seems to genuinely not give a damn about fame so he never goes out looking for attention

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
George RR Martin is, at least in my eyes, the literature equivalent of Gabe Newell. Just like I've felt about HL3, I've accepted that the rest of the books may never come out and I'm content with that. It's been too long and expectations are too great for whatever the end result would be if it was ever completed.

J.K. Rowling is a horny attention goblin and is clearly the worst of the two because she intentionally tries hard to stay relevant instead of just quietly fucking off like Martin.

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just remembered when Rowling caused Martin to sperg out completely. Figured it was apropos to this thread, since it is about both of them, after all.

George R.R. Martin’s 2001 Loss To J.K. Rowling Is Still A Sore Subject < Link is to BusinessInsider. Meaning if you go this way, go incognito. Not ad block friendly.

http://archive.li/bAPGt

George R.R. Martin’s 2001 Loss To J.K. Rowling Is Still A Sore Subject

Thirteen years after George R.R. Martin's "A Storm of Swords" lost to J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" for Best Novel in the 2001 Hugo Awards, Martin's fans and perhaps Martin himself are still bitter.
An old quote from Martin regarding the loss that appeared on a fan site recently went crazy on Reddit:

"Eat your heart out, Rowling," Martin wrote. "Maybe you have billions of dollars and my Hugo, but you don't have readers like these."

In 2012, Martin, author of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (adapted for HBO as "Game of Thrones"), elaborated on his feelings. "I wish I have beaten her, what can I say! I would have liked to win that award and I don't think Rowling cares much about it," Martin told the blog Adria's News. "And she didn't send anyone to accept the award, which is certainly annoying."

Posted by Reddit user gorgagon, the comment spurred a fierce debate generating more than 1,800 comments. Some called Martin's attitude presumptuous.

Screen Shot 2014 07 01 at 1.36.37 PMReddit/thegraaayghostScreen Shot 2014 07 01 at 1.45.59 PMReddit/el_californio
But many stood up for him, like Reddit user greym84:

He's not being petty here. Rowling has outright disowned the fantasy genre, pretending her obvious fantasy series wasn't really fantasy, as if she's some kind of transcendental author too good for a Hugo award, which she never bothered to accept. ... So GRRM as a die hard SFF [science fiction and fantasy] writer, for decades on end, loses a SFF-specific award to a person who has spurned the genre and doesn't even care about the reward. ... So he takes a jab at Rowling, but the main point is to acknowledge that he doesn't write for awards, but for his fans. As for Rowling, I love Harry Potter and I think she's overall a decent person. I just think she was grossly out of line on this issue and GRRM, as a major voice in SFF, was well within his rights to acknowledge his readers at her expense.

For her part, Rowling may not care or even be aware of Martin's criticisms, since she has said in the past that she doesn't read fantasy or science fiction.

Interestingly, Martin doesn't even list his 2001 Hugo nomination for Best Novel on his website, although he lists his 2006 and 2012 Hugo Best Novel nominations for the next two books in his series (which he lost to different authors). Perhaps his loss to Rowling was more upsetting than his loss to subsequent authors, as his comments would suggest. And maybe Martin had high expectations in 2001 because he had already won Hugo awards in 1979 and 1997 for Best Novelette, Short Story, and Novella — and since by most accounts "A Storm Of Swords" is the best book of his epic series.

Screen Shot 2014 07 01 at 1.26.31 PMReddit/RedgrassFieldOfFireSeparate from his comments about the Hugo award, Martin has indicated that he is not particularly fond of "Harry Potter." In 2008, he rejoiced that President Obama collects "Spider-Man" and "Conan the Barbarian" comics. "That's so cool that I'm willing to forgive him for being a Harry Potter fan," wrote Martin in his LiveJournal.
His grudge may have led him to poke fun at "Harry Potter" within the pages of the next book in his series, "A Feast for Crows," The Wire reported. In a passage of that book, Martin described a fight between the female knight Brienne of Tarth and two male knights. "She had ridden over Harry Sawyer and broken Robin Potter's helm, giving him a nasty scar," Martin wrote.

Aside from the obvious reference to Harry Potter by combining those names, Martin took care to mention one of the knights received a scar on his head after she broke his helmet. That brings to mind the forehead scar that distinguishes Rowling's Harry Potter.

But Martin has also made it clear that he respects Rowling for her valuable contributions to the fantasy genre. "She has done great stuff for fantasy and many of my readers are people who started with Harry Potter; they've grown up and she got them to reading, she got them to fantasy," he told Adria's News. "J.K. Rowling has grown up an entire generation of children into the field and for that I applaud her."

Twenty-four million copies of "A Song of Ice and Fire" books had been sold in North America by Random's Bantam Books as of September 2o13, including print, digital, and audio formats, Reuters reported.

As popular as the series is, however, its sales are dwarfed by the "Harry Potter" books, which had sold 450 million copies by mid-2011, publishers Bloomsbury in Britain and Scholastic in the United States told the BBC.[/S]

My understanding is that it was MUCH worse than this article leads one to think. As in, GRRM completely lost it. Sadly this was so long ago I doubt I can find the stuff from that era that came out around the time of the loss.

To add salt to the wound, Rowling has never acknowledged the Hugo win. In fact, she won something a few years AFTER this Hugo and made a speech thanking the presenters for giving her her "first adult literary award." Which trolls both GRRM and the Hugos better than a million years of Sad/Rabid Puppies ever could.

edit: Random strikethrough applied to text, no clue how that happened. :\

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Fatboi can be pretentious sure but I always got the impression he had a more sincere love for what he writes about. I'm not gonna accuse Rowling of being a completely cynical cash grabber, but I don't get the impression her relationship with wizards and broomsticks is the same Gurm has with knights and dragons.
She's said she doesn't believe in magic. I'm not saying magic is real, but one would believe she would at least feel some love for the topic she's writing about, even if not actually believing in it. I write about fantasy because I like fantasy. Honestly, I think HP was nothing but her catharsis after her divorce and the death of her mother, which isn't a bad thing.

Martin's a nerd before a writer. He's into DnD, RPG, miniature modeling, and mythological lore. He's quite a big fan of Tolkien too. He really is very passionate about Westeros in a way JKR isn't about the Wizarding World.

BlastDoors41

kiwifarms.net
She's said she doesn't believe in magic. I'm not saying magic is real, but one would believe she would at least feel some love for the topic she's writing about, even if not actually believing in it. I write about fantasy because I like fantasy. Honestly, I think HP was nothing but her catharsis after her divorce and the death of her mother, which isn't a bad thing.

Martin's a nerd before a writer. He's into DnD, RPG, miniature modeling, and mythological lore. He's quite a big fan of Tolkien too. He really is very passionate about Westeros in a way JKR isn't about the Wizarding World.

Speaking of this.... what the fuck is it with Sci-fi and fantasy debutants saying they don’t read the genre?

When it’s obvious that at least half those claiming they don’t, do?

Do they think it makes them look more like bright eyed bushy tailed ingenues?

Because if they wanted to write actual adult literature they would be.

To me they look like lying twits or pretenders who’d balk at having to read anything approaching Proust or the likes the of The Name of the Rose, Umberto Ecos most accessible work.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of this.... what the fuck is it with Sci-fi and fantasy debutants saying they don’t read the genre?

When it’s obvious that at least half those claiming they don’t, do?

Do they think it makes them look more like bright eyed bushy tailed ingenues?

Because if they wanted to write actual adult literature they would be.

To me they look like lying twits or pretenders who’d balk at having to read anything approaching Proust or the likes the of The Name of the Rose, Umberto Ecos most accessible work.
It's not cool for these future best-selling authors to admit they are pathetic sci-fi/fantasy nerds just like their targeted audience demographic. They are better than the plebs in the audience.

Allanon

kiwifarms.net
I think GRRM is bored, lost his way with what he was writing and has mostly lost interest in it. He wants people to enjoy his cutting edge, no-one-ever-heard-of-it ice breathing dragons (wait til he finds out about the lightning and poison ones), but people keep wanting to hear about his old series instead. But I think he's got a double whammy at this point. Even if he restructures his book in a way he enjoys and gets some inspiration off the shows, the casual viewers have absolutely poisoned his fanbase and their expectations of what is going to happen.

Example: multiple people thinking that he either intends to kill off the main characters, or plans a bad ending. That isn't how ASOIAF is written and it never has been. Yes, there's grim and 'realistic' stuff in it, but it's always a consequence of a poor decision. The Red Wedding and Ned's execution didn't happen because he's a novelist Joss Whedon who thought 'lol let's make the readers suffer', they were necessary plot devices that came from character choices. He mentioned that in a Storm of Swords he wrote the Red Wedding last even though it happens mid-book, because he couldn't bear to write it, as it felt like killing off some of his own family.

My point is, it's quite obvious the ending of ASOIAF will be happy because there's actually a hero/prophesied person, which is almost certainly either Jon or Dany, but might be someone unexpected like Bran. Underneath the layers of political intrigue, raping and pillaging, it's still a fantasy book with those tropes buried in it. I doubt it'll be a clean victory, I suspect the Starks won't meet up in the books until considerably later than the show had them do so, main characters will die - I suspect Dany among them - but they will, ultimately, make it to Spring and resolve the conflicts present in the books. Unfortunately, it's going to disappoint all the le edgy fans who have memed him into some grimdark monster writer that laughs at the pain of readers and kills with no regard for plot or purpose. Doubly so the fans who started with GoT, who will expect Cersei to just blow up the Septem to end the plot, or Stannis to die offscreen and Dorne to be dropped. George probably knows this, and feels trapped by the meme, pressured to either write an inferior product or doomed to write a disappointing one.

But hey, at least he hasn't given up yet and handed the world off to other writers while still taking credit for everything and writing stupid factoids about stuff no one wants to know about on Twitter.

Zersetzung

popular twitch speedrunner edward snowden
kiwifarms.net
They're both master trolls, but Rowling is on the verge of stepping through the veil from mere legendary Trickster to genuinely claiming her place in the halls of the gods as an ascended one.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Marco Fucko
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino