Whose head has gotten bigger: J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin -

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
What's even weirder than GRRM using DOS and WordPerfect is that his main web presence is still his Livejournal.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
GRRM: loves Delicious feasts, sex, having his own movie theatre. Despite being old as dirt and fat as hell, displays a certain lustiness, vitality. Enjoys his life. Wrote books read by people who have read other books. Gross, horny and weirdly endearing.

JKR: Weird shitlib billionaire. No fun. No apparent zest for life. Sits in mansion and tweets out retcons and paranoid fantasies that the perfidous Coybyn is going to send all the Jews to Azkaban. Wrote the only books most of her fans have ever read. Sterile, sexless, oddly menacing.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GRRM: loves Delicious feasts, sex, having his own movie theatre. Despite being old as dirt and fat as hell, displays a certain lustiness, vitality. Enjoys his life. Wrote books read by people who have read other books. Gross, horny and weirdly endearing.

JKR: Weird shitlib billionaire. No fun. No apparent zest for life. Sits in mansion and tweets out retcons and paranoid fantasies that the perfidous Coybyn is going to send all the Jews to Azkaban. Wrote the only books most of her fans have ever read. Sterile, sexless, oddly menacing.
GRRM used Fat Pink Mast. It's super effective! JKR exploded!

I can't say ASOIAF is massively well written. It has way too much filler for my liking as I've said already. But at least it's, for the most part, competent. Harry Potter, however, is just dreck. And shittily plotted dreck at that.

Also, GRRM actually is quite a good literary critic as well, and reads other people's books and can appreciate them (he is reportedly a huge fan of Bernard Cornwell.) JKR... doesn't.

Oh, and Harry Potter was stolen from Neil Gaiman's comic "The Books of Magic."

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
JKR has also done a huge amount of damage to the world of written fiction in general by nitrous boosting the YA market and riding roughshod over things like "books for grown ups" and "Post Middle School Literacy." JKR has made culture objectively worse and lowered the bar for everyone.

Though I suppose a lot of the blame rests on the shoulders of her publisher's marketing people, and she certainly never set out with any ill intent, but she's spent a lot of time and money and posting chipping away at whatever residual good will was left for her, so fuck her.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
JKR has made culture objectively worse and lowered the bar for everyone.
Grownups of my generation (I have the misfortune to be a millennial, just about) still fanboy over Harry fucking Potter like they were still teenagers. In fact, I'm pretty sure the first time I saw the nu-male grimace ever was when a teenage fan had got a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on day one and was waving it and posing with it with his gob levered fully open.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
Grownups of my generation (I have the misfortune to be a millennial, just about) still fanboy over Harry fucking Potter like they were still teenagers. In fact, I'm pretty sure the first time I saw the nu-male grimace ever was when a teenage fan had got a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on day one and was waving it and posing with it with his gob levered fully open.
early 30s millenial here and yeah, was right there for it. I'm glad to see at least that the late teen and early 20s kids coming up now missed the worst of it and from what I can tell, Harry Potter isn't really that special to them. At least not anything like it was for our peers.

Hopefully in a few years they'll have some mid 20s youth culture rebellion thing and all turn into a bunch of Pynchon freaks or something cool.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hopefully in a few years they'll have some mid 20s youth culture rebellion thing and all turn into a bunch of Pynchon freaks or something cool.
Most folks younger than us have been brainwashed by Instacrap and "influencers" and Love fucking Island. I can't see them extolling the virtues of anything vaguely heavyweight. Their attention span is too eroded. If I ever have children, they will be refused social media until age 16 and smartphones or tablets until age 18. They will share a desktop PC in the living room where everyone else can see it like I had to growing up.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
Kinda cool how Farenheiht 451 was right about the death of books and reading but completely got the why and how wrong. No one took the books away. Nothing was forbidden, burned or banned. We should be so lucky, for it to be that dramatic. They didn't try to make us stupid by taking the books away. We made ourselves stupid, and they just kept shoving books at us, desperate to give us as much as we wanted of what we demanded. Kind of. We were just kids. It wasn't our fault. There's really nothing wrong with Harry Potter per se. It's a cute fun adventure for kids. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. But this ties into a massive caremad rant about how we're treated like babies all the time and if you can't just shrug and accept it, welcome to the 24/7 screaming brain party.

I think the kids are a little savvier than you think. They seem to at least have a healthy lack of respect for the last two generations. The fact that they came into very little cultural inheritance, and that they don't have much use for the little they did get, is one thing that gives me hope. It's gonna suck for them, but I think in a lot of ways they're better equipped mentally to navigate Hellworld and do something worthwhile than we were at their age.

Might as well put my hope in the yoots to avenge us poor, unfairly maligned, prematurely obsolete early model millennials. Cursed with the memory of a world before 9/11 and before the internet, like some horrible parasitic bug, leapt from our desks and got into our pockets and on our bodies. Too young to identify with the Xers and Boomers, but old enough to know that our future was stolen and to recognize that there are some stark differences between us and out little siblings and cousins and nieces and nephews.

Thanks, Rowling.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Reminder we owe JKR the existence of Twilight, 50 Shades, and Hunger Games, books that are spectacularly way more mediocre than Potter.

Also, I'm quite certain than the Potter fandom was the first big fandom of the Internet once it exploded as it did about 15 years ago. I like Potter, but that wasn't as healthy as people think. It became a Bible for people growing without any kind of moral guidance.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Twilight, 50 Shades, and Hunger Games, books that are spectacularly way more mediocre than Potter.
Oh god yes. Twiglet is sub-fanfic tier, and 50SOG is even worse. 50SOG also started life as a Twiglet fan fiction. No seriously. She originally called it "Masters of the Universe" and it was Bella and Edward. She just changed the names around after it started to get popular on Fanfiction.net using MS Word's Find and Replace, deleted it from same, and charged money for it.

Hunger Games is all stolen from Battle Royale. I think it got popular during the early days of SJWism because the protagonist was a STRONG WAMEN.

It became a Bible for people growing without any kind of moral guidance.
This explains a hell of a lot.

Might as well put my hope in the yoots to avenge us poor, unfairly maligned, prematurely obsolete early model millennials. Cursed with the memory of a world before 9/11 and before the internet, like some horrible parasitic bug, leapt from our desks and got into our pockets and on our bodies.
I wish Web 1.0 was back. Forums and MSN Messenger and web pages that prioritised content and suchlike. It was an anthill of autism, yes, but it was our anthill. Not Mark fucking Zuckerberg's.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
50SoG gets a little unfairly maligned. I've never read it (Or twilight) but it's just some shameless spank fiction for really vanilla chicks that wanna feel kinky. It's kinda cute. And I always got kind of annoyed at all the BDSM kinksters and annoying sex nerds in general getting in an an indignant huff that some pulpy smut for wine moms wasn't a faithful and meticulously researched depiction of their particular flesh hobbies.

Cause sex nerds are tedious.
Kinda gross a lot of the time too.

Tabtar

My bones hurt...
kiwifarms.net
They don't really compare. JK Rowling is a shrill SJW. GRRM seems likes he really wishes he just retired so he could putter around in Santa Fe and resents being in too deep with HBO to completely bail out at this point.
Epesode 3 of the final season of game of thrones aired and its a dumpster fire according to YouTube. George couldn’t be bothered to tweet at all about the epesode. I think your right, he’s ready to be done with this shit.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Epesode 3 of the final season of game of thrones aired and its a dumpster fire according to YouTube. George couldn’t be bothered to tweet at all about the epesode. I think your right, he’s ready to be done with this shit.
He's not done with the books, only HBO. He stopped caring about it some time ago.

Whenever he posts about tv shows in his blog, he constantly praises other shows he enjoys, especially fantasy shows. He gave some praising to Outlander, whici is based on a series of books written by a friend of him. But GoT? He's very "meh" about it. He even said something quite similar to "meh" when someone asked him in a comment about the show, and that happened around season five.

It's not just that he doesn't care about the show. He dislikes everything related to it, me thinks. Money isn't even the issue because the reason he stopped working on tv years ago was that he wanted to have more creative freedom. not more money.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Deadpool

There's still a lot of darkness in this old noggin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stopped caring about AoFaI after waiting four or five years of waiting for the WoW. I still look forward to reading it but I've found a new favorite author in Joe Ambercrombie and his First Law universe. The books are a bit shorter with less pointless filler, and they do a good job of making a gritty story without being grimdark and killing characters just to kill characters.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stopped caring about AoFaI after waiting four or five years of waiting for the WoW. I still look forward to reading it but I've found a new favorite author in Joe Ambercrombie and his First Law universe. The books are a bit shorter with less pointless filler, and they do a good job of making a gritty story without being grimdark and killing characters just to kill characters.
Body found floating by the docks...

Yeah, Abercrombie's fucking awesome. And for "a bit" read "a lot." Daily reminded that A Dance with Dragons covered 2000 pages and advanced the plot roughly six inches.

• Feels
Reactions: Deadpool

Marco Fucko

Freak a flow and flow fancy free.
kiwifarms.net
While we're still vaguely on the subject of Rowling serving as inspiration for irredeemable dreck, I'd like to draw your attention to the The Shadowhunters series. It literally started off as an HP fanfiction trilogy and was changed into urban fantasy with angels and demons to sell. I don't think I could accurately describe how terribly it's written, so I'll just spoiler a section available on the official site.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest. He stared down at the boy in the red zip-up jacket and shook his shaved head. “You can’t bring that thing in here.”

The fifty or so teenagers in line outside the Pandemonium Club leaned forward to eavesdrop. It was a long wait to get into the all-ages club, especially on a Sunday, and not much generally happened in line. The bouncers were fierce and would come down instantly on anyone who looked like they were going to start trouble. Fifteen-year-old Clary Fray, standing in line with her best friend, Simon, leaned forward along with everyone else, hoping for some excitement.

“Aw, come on.” The kid hoisted the thing up over his head. It looked like a wooden beam, pointed at one end. “It’s part of my costume.”

The bouncer raised an eyebrow. “Which is what?”

The boy grinned. He was normal-enough-looking, Clary thought, for Pandemonium. He had electric blue dyed hair that stuck up around his head like the tendrils of a startled octopus, but no elaborate facial tattoos or big metal bars through his ears or lips. “I’m a vampire slayer.” He pushed down on the wooden thing. It bent as easily as a blade of grass bending sideways. “It’s fake. Foam rubber. See?”

The boy’s wide eyes were way too bright a green, Clary noticed: the color of antifreeze, spring grass. Colored contact lenses, probably. The bouncer shrugged, abruptly bored.

“Whatever. Go on in.”

The boy slid past him, quick as an eel. Clary liked the lilt to his shoulders, the way he tossed his hair as he went. There was a word for him that her mother would have used — insouciant.

“You thought he was cute,” said Simon, sounding resigned. “Didn’t you?”

Clary dug her elbow into his ribs, but didn’t answer.

Inside, the club was full of dry-ice smoke. Colored lights played over the dance floor, turning it into a multicolored fairyland of blues and acid greens, hot pinks and golds.

The boy in the red jacket stroked the long razor-sharp blade in his hands, an idle smile playing over his lips. It had been so easy — a little bit of a glamour on the blade, to make it look harmless. Another glamour on his eyes, and the moment the bouncer had looked straight at him, he was in. Of course, he could probably have gotten by without all that trouble, but it was part of the fun — fooling the mundies, doing it all out in the open right in front of them, getting off on the blank looks on their sheeplike faces.

Not that the humans didn’t have their uses. The boy’s green eyes scanned the dance floor, where slender limbs clad in scraps of silk and black leather appeared and disappeared inside the revolving columns of smoke as the mundies danced.

Girls tossed their long hair, boys swung their leather-clad hips, and bare skin glittered with sweat. Vitality just poured off them, waves of energy that filled him with a drunken dizziness. Hisn lip curled. They didn’t know how lucky they were. They didn’t know what it was like to eke out life in a dead world, where the sun hung limp in the sky like a burned cinder. Their lives burned as brightly as candle flames — and were as easy to snuff out.

early 30s millenial here and yeah, was right there for it. I'm glad to see at least that the late teen and early 20s kids coming up now missed the worst of it and from what I can tell, Harry Potter isn't really that special to them. At least not anything like it was for our peers.

We're already here, dog. I got into weird shit in my teens because all of the books I perceived as 'post-Potter' were derivative and lame. Might not be the majority, but there's certainly a subset of late Millenials or even Zoomers that don't give a shit about Potter and a lot of conventional YA.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
While we're still vaguely on the subject of Rowling serving as inspiration for irredeemable dreck, I'd like to draw your attention to the The Shadowhunters series. It literally started off as an HP fanfiction trilogy and was changed into urban fantasy with angels and demons to sell. I don't think I could accurately describe how terribly it's written, so I'll just spoiler a section available on the official site.
These books are full of stereotypes, but as the chracters also defy "gender conventions", they'are given a pass.

"A QUEER MAN WEARING MAKE UP AND FANCY CLOTHES, OMG WE'RE AVERTING GENDER CONVENTIONS, ASIAN MEN NEVER WORE MAKE UP BEFORE, GUYS."

Most of these books (Hunger Games, Twilight, SH, Percy Jackson) have no more purpose than being fangirl material for them to say "OMG I FUCKING LOVE BOOKS".

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
We're already here, dog. I got into weird shit in my teens because all of the books I perceived as 'post-Potter' were derivative and lame. Might not be the majority, but there's certainly a subset of late Millenials or even Zoomers that don't give a shit about Potter and a lot of conventional YA.
Good. I've maintained for a while that the kids these days are badass and I hope you avenge the millenials for what this exceptional society stole from us. I hate this baby shit where people write emotional thinkpieces about how Avengers Endgame helped them cope with how they feel hopeless. Like holy shit, grow up.

My biggest fear for y'all is you guys will start healing the world until the first millenial president decides to launch the nukes because they rewatched Avengers and got "feels" from Thanos.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino