Why are movies and TV shows so bland? -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Everywhere I look, all I see is LGBTQ this and black that, and everything in between or prior is also severely bland. Nobody has groundbreaking ideas anymore, the last good movie I saw was Joker and I can't think of anything before that except for maybe Godzilla. Anything science fiction is either tedious or childish (West World, Rick and Morty, ect). Almost everything I see on TV feels exceptionally out of pocket and Young Sheldon is the only exception I can find. Everything else is just Cali-trash like Birds of Prey or one of a billion cop dramas.

Why must it be this way?

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
Too much publicity marketing, virtue signaling and shortage of creative originality.

It doesn't help that a lot of movies nowadays are designed to appeal to teenage and adult women because Chris Hemsworth just happens to be in it.

Back then, it wasn't as oversaturated as it is now. The current political climate doesn't help matters. Legit, Adam Sandler movies are beginning to look appealing in comparison to today's slop.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I didn’t even like Game Of Thrones. For as much supposed effort was put into it there’s really know life or soul there. I feel like that about a lot of shows. Shows aren’t made to just tell a story anymore, it’s about selling an idea, making a profit, pushing a product, and inflating the viewer’s ego.

Rick & Morty for instance is a perfect example of everything wrong with modern television. What is the show’s goal? To create merchandise and hashtags off the backs of easily influenced egotists. Every scene is carefully plotted to make the viewer feel smart despite the actual content and context of any given episode being incredibly basic and heavily laden with tropes which they lampshade in an attempt to say “We’re making fun of this stupid trope and the people that like it not doing it ourselves, despite the fact that we are doing it and you’re watching and enjoying it.”

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Too much publicity marketing, virtue signaling and shortage of creative originality.

It doesn't help that a lot of movies nowadays are designed to appeal to teenage and adult women because Chris Hemsworth just happens to be in it.

Back then, it wasn't as oversaturated as it is now. The current political climate doesn't help matters. Legit, Adam Sandler movies are beginning to look appealing in comparison to today's slop.

Also

1) It's cheaper and less risky to make something generic
2) Why go out of your way to make something that could be expensive and risky when it can both flop or be pirated.

Honestly, I didn’t even like Game Of Thrones. For as much supposed effort was put into it there’s really know life or soul there. I feel like that about a lot of shows.

A freaking men. Though I can't say I never liked the show (it had it's moments here and there and also had great performances and production value), I cannot understand what was the point of the story. It just comes across as Martin's (and the showrunners) puerile attempt to "subvert" certain tropes all the while utilizing some of those same tropes and creating some of their own all the while failing to tell a concise story.

Last edited:

Coolio55

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> KIRBY DANCE
kiwifarms.net
It's a screenwriting book called "Save the Cat". It's used by every single fucking movie on the big screen these days.
It outlines a formula for a boring average movie that all the directors follow to a T. It talks about how interesting films like Memento are bad.

All this from the awesome director of Blank Check!

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Lowest common denominator.

But its always been like this, barring the truly legendary movies like Jaws and Terminator and shit, most of what's regarded as "classic" today flopped on release. Blade Runner? Flop. Shawshank? Tanked. The Big Lebowski barely made back it's budget during its theatrical run. You've almost always had to find anything worth a damn to watch.

Also John Carpenter's the Thing. Hek I heard Good Fellows wasn't, financially anyway, a hit either which I find hard to believe.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The big problem today in a lot of media (including video games) is that studios perfected the act of creating a film/series to have as wide appeal as possible, which makes them have the cultural value of a happy meals.
You add PG-13 action for the menchildren, shirtless men for the women, shitty humour for the redditors and a lot of bad cgi to make people feel like it is something they couldn't see at home and that's it, at best there will be some sci-fi twist that was only revolutionary a century ago. You can change those around for woke, nudity and gratuitous violence for tv shows, and 3d action cinematographic action adventure game with RPG elements and crafting for video games.

So for movies, the action is uninteresting and even the exception of visceral violence (John Wick) is already overdone.
The plot is boring since braindead Americans and chinks need to follow it.
There are no real ideas since that can offend people, or worse, make the CCP ban the media.
Sound design is fucked since who cares.
Twists seems to be a thing of the past since why bother when you can have a five second post credits scene where someone namesdrop a plot point connected to other property the studio owns and YOU'VE GOT TO SEE IT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Of course it's not all films but if you try to argue the Hollywood blockbuster hasn't died in the last two decades then you are a moron.

Resident Evil

kiwifarms.net
I don’t know, haven’t watch a lot of movies and tv shows in awhile.
Well, besides Borat. And what little I see through Half in the Bag RLM reviews.
Borat’s funny in that childish classic way. Maybe you’ll like it.

Dom Cruise

Spooky!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've noticed shit has gotten really bland and lifeless in recent years, it isn't just a matter of good and bad, there's always been good and bad media, it's that in the past it seems like stuff had more of a sense of style, more life to it, even if it was stupid, there was still a certain energy that seems missing today, I don't just mean media but even stuff like advertising and fashion.

For one random example look at Victoria's Secret, have you seen the models recently? They're no longer the larger than life "goddesses" that they were in the 2000s, there's more "body diversity" than before but even those women are hot compared to most of the women being featured in advertising now.

Everything's got to be brought down to a banal, boring reality, nothing can be better than reality, the fun, sexy and exciting world of advertising has been replaced with something that just reminds you of the bland, boring and lame reality you live in now.

And look at fashion, people look exactly the same as they did 5 years ago, for women it's the shaved on the side haircut, the hair dye, the nose piercings, same as it today, it's all so boring and played out now.

The last decade to have a real sense of style was the 2000s, seriously, go back and look at a lot of stuff in the 2000s and it often seems like you are going further into the "future" than today, one random example of that is compare vinyl toys in the 2000s and their wild, colorful designs to today's "Funko Pop" garbage, those 2000s vinyl toys still looking cutting edge to me, we have regressed.

2009 in particular is a year that aesthetically speaking seems more "futuristic" in some ways than today.

tl;dr pop culture died in the 2000s and all we've been doing is regressing ever since.