Why are movies and TV shows so bland?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Resident Evil

kiwifarms.net
I've noticed shit has gotten really bland and lifeless in recent years, it isn't just a matter of good and bad, there's always been good and bad media, it's that in the past it seems like stuff had more of a sense of style, more life to it, even if it was stupid, there was still a certain energy that seems missing today, I don't just mean media but even stuff like advertising and fashion.

For one random example look at Victoria's Secret, have you seen the models recently? They're no longer the larger than life "goddesses" that they were in the 2000s, there's more "body diversity" than before but even those women are hot compared to most of the women being featured in advertising now.

Everything's got to be brought down to a banal, boring reality, nothing can be better than reality, the fun, sexy and exciting world of advertising has been replaced with something that just reminds you of the bland, boring and lame reality you live in now.

And look at fashion, people look exactly the same as they did 5 years ago, for women it's the shaved on the side haircut, the hair dye, the nose piercings, same as it today, it's all so boring and played out now.

The last decade to have a real sense of style was the 2000s, seriously, go back and look at a lot of stuff in the 2000s and it often seems like you are going further into the "future" than today, one random example of that is compare vinyl toys in the 2000s and their wild, colorful designs to today's "Funko Pop" garbage, those 2000s vinyl toys still looking cutting edge to me, we have regressed.

2009 in particular is a year that aesthetically speaking seems more "futuristic" in some ways than today.

tl;dr pop culture died in the 2000s and all we've been doing is regressing ever since.
I think the word of the day is sterility. People seem to think that controversy is bad, and it’s a bad thing for business and creative drive, when it’s really the opposite. When you have everyone agreeing with you on a stance of any kind, from all walks of life, you have done something wrong artistically. It is flavorless, barely palatable, and much like spaghetti without sauce, a fucking tragedy and waste of time. The most beloved pieces of media had controversial and radical stances on anything from the system of education to the system of God in his Kingdom of heaven to what it meant to be a man at all when it seemed the world was only filled with monsters in war times.

You can see this in recent years with the oversimplification in terms of graphic design and ideas for creative properties being recycled from older years, turned into rehash cash grabs rather then a Wild West idea chucking.

Now, I’m not going to generalize all movies in recent years, that’d be fucking stupid, nothing is certain in the world besides excuses. But I will say that I too, and many other people too, notice this spineless stance on creativity and artistic existence. In an effort to please everyone, you either leave no impression at all or piss everyone off.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
I think the word of the day is sterility. People seem to think that controversy is bad, and it’s a bad thing for business and creative drive, when it’s really the opposite. When you have everyone agreeing with you on a stance of any kind, from all walks of life, you have done something wrong artistically. It is flavorless, barely palatable, and much like spaghetti without sauce, a fucking tragedy and waste of time. The most beloved pieces of media had controversial and radical stances on anything from the system of education to the system of God in his Kingdom of heaven to what it meant to be a man at all when it seemed the world was only filled with monsters in war times.

You can see this in recent years with the oversimplification in terms of graphic design and ideas for creative properties being recycled from older years, turned into rehash cash grabs rather then a Wild West idea chucking.

Now, I’m not going to generalize all movies in recent years, that’d be fucking stupid, nothing is certain in the world besides excuses. But I will say that I too, and many other people too, notice this spineless stance on creativity and artistic existence. In an effort to please everyone, you either leave no impression at all or piss everyone off.
I think a lot of media today is created deliberately bland because those who make it don't want it to be kicked out of the public sphere. Just look at the recent censorship of Dr. Seuss. You can expect media from here on to get a lot more boring as the Ministry of Truth starts combing through books, movies and TV series and eliminating everything that doesn't toe the current SJW line. Soon they'll have "consultants" going to every MSM outlet and actively censoring all of the media it produces, so it doesn't offend the snowflakes. (Or the major corporations who are pandering to the wokeshit artists.) If you look back at film in the Soviet Union during Stalin's era, you'll find some gems here and there, but you'll also find a lot of bland pabulum and propaganda. The art of filmmaking also suffered: )

"Stalin micro-managed the film industry. He made "recommendations" on what should be included, edited, or deleted entirely. If ignored, similar consequences to those that befell Margarita were meted out. However, while he was obsessed with films, Stalin was uneducated on film production. Due to this ignorance, Stalin thought of the director as a mere technician who carried out instructions. Therefore, he dictated that camera angles should not be shot from below, or above the actor, but always at eye level. Stalin's callowness over the importance of the director's work was of great benefit to the filmmakers since, "with few exceptions, they survived."[13] "

Of course, the people doing the censoring don't think they're evil. They think they're "protecting the people's revolution" or "fighting racism and homophobia." There is no appealing to reason with these people. If you want to save media, conserve physical copies of the media that exists, and start creating your own movie/gaming studios.

Resident Evil

kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of media today is created deliberately bland because those who make it don't want it to be kicked out of the public sphere. Just look at the recent censorship of Dr. Seuss. You can expect media from here on to get a lot more boring as the Ministry of Truth starts combing through books, movies and TV series and eliminating everything that doesn't toe the current SJW line. Soon they'll have "consultants" going to every MSM outlet and actively censoring all of the media it produces, so it doesn't offend the snowflakes. (Or the major corporations who are pandering to the wokeshit artists.) If you look back at film in the Soviet Union during Stalin's era, you'll find some gems here and there, but you'll also find a lot of bland pabulum and propaganda. The art of filmmaking also suffered: )

"Stalin micro-managed the film industry. He made "recommendations" on what should be included, edited, or deleted entirely. If ignored, similar consequences to those that befell Margarita were meted out. However, while he was obsessed with films, Stalin was uneducated on film production. Due to this ignorance, Stalin thought of the director as a mere technician who carried out instructions. Therefore, he dictated that camera angles should not be shot from below, or above the actor, but always at eye level. Stalin's callowness over the importance of the director's work was of great benefit to the filmmakers since, "with few exceptions, they survived."[13] "

Of course, the people doing the censoring don't think they're evil. They think they're "protecting the people's revolution" or "fighting racism and homophobia." There is no appealing to reason with these people. If you want to save media, conserve physical copies of the media that exists, and start creating your own movie/gaming studios.
All they’re really doing is erasing history, which allows mistakes to repeat themselves. In my honest opinion, I’d say keep those books for kids to read, kids aren’t going to know that the Asian caricature is meant to be a stereotype, if anything, if I read these books as a kid, I’d just think they were long-stached whos from whoville. My immediate thought wouldn’t be, “Oh, that’s a chinamen!”. That’s stupid.

I think kids later on should definitely understand why certain caricatures and stereotypes are harmful later on, in late elementary and early middle, but to remove a historical piece from existence simply because it showed a version of a race that isn’t immediately recognizable for a target audience of like, 5 year old children, is foolish and reactionary.

I do agree that media preservation is incredibly important. With how cultures constantly change, and their ideological stances shifting like sands in the dunes of time, there are bound to be films (and ofc books) not yet on this list that have potential to disrupt their ’ideal’ world, and will also stop circulation and production. Even cinema and story from terrible dog-shit people I feel should be preserved, because if there’s nothing to reference for our past mistakes, it‘ll happen again. No matter how much you censor and for what reasons, it will come out sideways, and whatever piece of art/media you tried to seal away will just pop up under a different banner.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
All the titles you've listed are mainstream Hollywood shit.
Here's an idea: stop watching Hollywood content.

There's more out there being made, Hollywood only accounts for about 12% of the worldwide movie industry.
Yes, you might have to watch movies with subtitles every now and then, big fucking deal.

a terminal posture

kiwifarms.net
Nobody has groundbreaking ideas anymore, the last good movie I saw was Joker and I can't think of anything before that except for maybe Godzilla.
First you should ask yourself why, at your age, are you are getting anything out a giant lizard movie, then watch Taxi Driver (1976) which the very inferior Joker borrowed heavily from. Then realize there are enough worthwhile movies made before 2000 to fill a lifetime and you don't have to bother with modern clownworld trash. (the reason why most modern movies suck is that millennial manchildren have aged into running productions, and you can't expect them to make anything good. This applies equally to major Hollywood studio, indie and a lot of foreign film too).

Carlos Weston Chantor

Experienced For Barb's Pleasure
kiwifarms.net
Everywhere I look, all I see is LGBTQ this and black that, and everything in between or prior is also severely bland. Nobody has groundbreaking ideas anymore, the last good movie I saw was Joker and I can't think of anything before that except for maybe Godzilla. Anything science fiction is either tedious or childish (West World, Rick and Morty, ect). Almost everything I see on TV feels exceptionally out of pocket and Young Sheldon is the only exception I can find. Everything else is just Cali-trash like Birds of Prey or one of a billion cop dramas.

Why must it be this way?

It's because all "american" movies & tv shows are made by jews

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First you should ask yourself why, at your age, are you are getting anything out a giant lizard movie,
Because watching 100 foot monsters beat each other up is metal.
then watch Taxi Driver (1976) which the very inferior Joker borrowed heavily from.
I know that Joker is derivative of other movies from the 70's, it's a homage to a collection of them. I admit I haven't seen Taxi Driver yet despite how good I heard it was, and the summary is that some dude goes Punisher on a group of pimps and drug dealers, and the movie is more about how delusional he is to make himself a vigilante than about any of the good he's doing by being one. Am I on beat on the general vibe of Taxi Driver?

The Bovinian Derivative

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gary from Nerdrotic brought up a point that I can agree with: There's only so much talent that can go around. Since everyone and their mother is jumping on the streaming bandwagon to produce massive amounts of content that talent gets spread pretty thin. So for most things you get this beige mass of content that looks nice, the writing is okay, and the acting is probably okay too with one or two standout actors but there's not enough soul behind it.

Companies doesn't seem to care that much though, the Lord of the Rings TV show, which is going to be one of the most expensive tv shows, has two showrunners that have one (1) writing credit (which according to IMDB is uncredited).

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Gary from Nerdrotic brought up a point that I can agree with: There's only so much talent that can go around. Since everyone and their mother is jumping on the streaming bandwagon to produce massive amounts of content that talent gets spread pretty thin. So for most things you get this beige mass of content that looks nice, the writing is okay, and the acting is probably okay too with one or two standout actors but there's not enough soul behind it.

Companies doesn't seem to care that much though, the Lord of the Rings TV show, which is going to be one of the most expensive tv shows, has two showrunners that have one (1) writing credit (which according to IMDB is uncredited).

while that is true, you don't really need talent (or not much) to crap out something generic or at least serviceable for entertainment. even b-movies can have their value.
these days it feels more like they go out of their way to produce shit, back then they at least tried (and even the failures could be great in itself).

now, the LOTR show sounds like it will be entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Most entertainment these days wants to be gruel. That is, it wants every demographic available from 8-85. That means, it needs to be appealing to everyone, non-controversial and simplistic.

Its a matter of money. Everyone wants an MCU universe. Everyone wants that Disney cash. And everyone wants to capture every demographic available. I mean, this isn't with movies and TV. All major forms of entertainment have taken to it, with maybe the exception of literature. (Western comics don't actually exist anymore. Their corpse is being used to market the movies).

My suggestions: don't look at Hollywood, ignore network television and hunt streaming services. If you want something decent these days and not just flavorless gruel that exists to be eaten by everyone, you're gonna have to put the work in to find it.

Erika Furudo

Me an intellectual 🎶
kiwifarms.net
Also John Carpenter's the Thing. Hek I heard Good Fellows wasn't, financially anyway, a hit either which I find hard to believe.
GATTACA
Budget $36 million
Box office $12.5 million

Fucking plebs. Also I know The Fountain bombed, so that's another "cult classic". If only they included more CGI fight scenes and sky lasers.

Honestly, I didn’t even like Game Of Thrones. For as much supposed effort was put into it there’s really know life or soul there. I feel like that about a lot of shows. Shows aren’t made to just tell a story anymore, it’s about selling an idea, making a profit, pushing a product, and inflating the viewer’s ego.

Rick & Morty for instance is a perfect example of everything wrong with modern television. What is the show’s goal? To create merchandise and hashtags off the backs of easily influenced egotists. Every scene is carefully plotted to make the viewer feel smart despite the actual content and context of any given episode being incredibly basic and heavily laden with tropes which they lampshade in an attempt to say “We’re making fun of this stupid trope and the people that like it not doing it ourselves, despite the fact that we are doing it and you’re watching and enjoying it.”
Thank fuck more people are hating on GoT. Maybe it's being traped in normie central, but I hated the books I tried forcing myself to read, and I hated hearing about the show that came out years later. You see a person writing a story filled with over the top swearing and sex, and you assume it's an edgy 14 year old who just learned a few swear words. No, it's actually an old man, and his work is like really dark and mature duys. It's so fucking dark talking about a gross sex scene involving sibling, and talking about a girl shitting after drinking some unclean water.
ASOIAF/GoT was tryhard as fuck and I hated it, I'm glad GRRM will never finish it because he knows he can't write a satisfying ending and deep down the normies know it too.

I am not even allowed to enjoy costume dramas anymore. Hollywitz is now finding creative ways of shoehorning in black characters in medieval England, or even worse, trying to convince me the same period had black 'nobility'.
I wish it were only Hollywood.
This is the future of all documentaries.

Meat Target

I'm what you call a professional
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It just comes across as Martin's (and the showrunners) puerile attempt to "subvert" certain tropes all the while utilizing some of those same tropes and creating some of their own all the while failing to tell a concise story.
Everything's got to be brought down to a banal, boring reality, nothing can be better than reality, the fun, sexy and exciting world of advertising has been replaced with something that just reminds you of the bland, boring and lame reality you live in now.
This is why I gave up midway through the third ASOIAF book. If I wanted stories where the villains win, the heroes lose, and every endeavor to make things better ends in a wet fart, I'd just go over to A&H.

Fantasy is supposed to be unrealistic. There's a difference between a story where characters have setbacks, trade-offs, and complications, and one that's just blackpill after blackpill.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
This is why I gave up midway through the third ASOIAF book. If I wanted stories where the villains win, the heroes lose, and every endeavor to make things better ends in a wet fart, I'd just go over to A&H.
Dragon Heart 2 was pretty dope though. First time I ever saw the villain win in anything and it blew me away as I kid.

Erika Furudo

Me an intellectual 🎶
kiwifarms.net

Fantasy is supposed to be unrealistic. There's a difference between a story where characters have setbacks, trade-offs, and complications, and one that's just blackpill after blackpill.
Elder scrolls is kinda like this now. People who only know about Skyrim and maybe Oblivion probably don't realise that this is the same universe where the gods responded to humans being genocided, by sending back a psychotic, gay, demigod-cyborg crusader who had regular mental brakdowns. He did good though, elves got wrecked, as a bonus he even saw Khajiit had pointy ears, therefore they must be elves, so he killed a bunch of them too.

Alas Skyrim was pretty low fantasy outside of dragons. They didn't even have fun shit like Shivering Isles, it was all dark and gloomy, very serious.

Meat Target

I'm what you call a professional
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alas Skyrim was pretty low fantasy outside of dragons. They didn't even have fun shit like Shivering Isles, it was all dark and gloomy, very serious.
Technically, Elder Scrolls still high fantasy because it is in a secondary world (Nirn). Low fantasy is when magic or fantastical elements encroach upon the primary (real) world, such as Harry Potter. (I've heard some say LOTR counts as low fantasy, because Middle-Earth is actually supposed to be prehistoric Europe).

Erika Furudo

Me an intellectual 🎶
kiwifarms.net
Technically, Elder Scrolls still high fantasy because it is in a secondary world (Nirn). Low fantasy is when magic or fantastical elements encroach upon the primary (real) world, such as Harry Potter. (I've heard some say LOTR counts as low fantasy, because Middle-Earth is actually supposed to be prehistoric Europe).
LOTR literally has a reality warping god as an antagonist.
He literally fucks over Turin's entire life via a cruse to make pretty much everything go wrong in the worst possible way, and makes his father immortal so he can watch it all happen. Add in the fact that the entire world is just a song created by God and I would say it's high fantasy.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
while that is true, you don't really need talent (or not much) to crap out something generic or at least serviceable for entertainment. even b-movies can have their value.
these days it feels more like they go out of their way to produce shit, back then they at least tried (and even the failures could be great in itself).

now, the LOTR show sounds like it will be entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
Exactly, even the bad stuff from yesteryear now has newfound charm because they were at least trying and they were at least just wanting to entertain you, not brainwash you.

Most entertainment these days wants to be gruel. That is, it wants every demographic available from 8-85. That means, it needs to be appealing to everyone, non-controversial and simplistic.

Its a matter of money. Everyone wants an MCU universe. Everyone wants that Disney cash. And everyone wants to capture every demographic available. I mean, this isn't with movies and TV. All major forms of entertainment have taken to it, with maybe the exception of literature. (Western comics don't actually exist anymore. Their corpse is being used to market the movies).

My suggestions: don't look at Hollywood, ignore network television and hunt streaming services. If you want something decent these days and not just flavorless gruel that exists to be eaten by everyone, you're gonna have to put the work in to find it.
It's really not about money anymore, it's about your submission to their ideology, making money or your entertainment is a distant second and third.

Everywhere you look now from movies, TV and advertisement the message is loud and clear and it's "SUBMIT, STOP QUESTIONING, JUST ACCEPT DIVERSITY AND SUBMIT"

I am not even allowed to enjoy costume dramas anymore. Hollywitz is now finding creative ways of shoehorning in black characters in medieval England, or even worse, trying to convince me the same period had black 'nobility'.
The best words to describe it is "scrambling" and "panicking"

They are scrambling and panicking right now because they know people are starting to wake up, this is why they are so bald faced with the propaganda now and ignoring any semblance of objective reality.

Like I said the message is "SUBMIT, ACCEPT DIVERSITY, THE WORLD HAS ALWAYS BEEN DIVERSE, DIVERSITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIFE ITSELF, JUST SUBMIT"

I wish it were only Hollywood.
This is the future of all documentaries.
It's terrifying when you realize that the concepts of truth and objective reality mattering are dying.

If this keeps up future generations will literally not know the truth about history, stop and think about the implications of that.

The scale of this conflict is mind boggling sometimes, because it isn't just about Hollywood and entertainment being bland, it's literally about life itself and the future of the human race.

If we let them kill the very concept of truth, we are simply singing our death warrant as a species, sooner or later.

Dragon Heart 2 was pretty dope though. First time I ever saw the villain win in anything and it blew me away as I kid.
The first time I saw something that ended in a really dark way was the Sean Penn directed movie The Pledge, it blew my mind, I couldn't believe how that movie ended.

Punished “Venom” pH

Trash gremlin, got sentience as a cosmic joke :U
kiwifarms.net
It’s not an identity politics thing, mainstream media has to be as bland and unchallenging as possible to make sure grandma and grandkid can watch/listen/play together and the gay is in vogue right now so it makes sense for that to be what they want to appeal to so they can squeeze every dollar out from our cultural zeitgeist. Same for whatever else is trending and might bother the discerning audience member as few and far between as we may be.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
It’s not an identity politics thing, mainstream media has to be as bland and unchallenging as possible to make sure grandma and grandkid can watch/listen/play together and the gay is in vogue right now so it makes sense for that to be what they want to appeal to so they can squeeze every dollar out from our cultural zeitgeist. Same for whatever else is trending and might bother the discerning audience member as few and far between as we may be.
This. Thankfully, there's always gold buried in the dirt so if you put in the effort you'll usually find something unique