Why are people who consume media pussies these days? - Weak minds breed weak people

Logical Fallacies

Harmless Internet User
kiwifarms.net
Good writing is a delicate balance.

I'm a very firm believer in notions such as "There's no such thing as bad characters, just bad writing" or "No idea is too small."

Any character, regardless if YOU can relate or even agree with them, so long as they have a purpose and the why's to them add up, that's a good character. Might not be a FAVORITE character, but a good one.

I don't know where this started lately, but I can't stand this notion of "People have to RELATE" and then taken a step further "THEY CAN ONLY RELATE TO THEMSELVES!1111" Bullshit. Sheer bullshit.

Black people can like any character. Women can like any character. Men can. Attack helicopters can. We've lost focus. And to these goddamn crybabies, who don't GET it completely tailor made to them alone, instead of just "Oh, not for me" they have to complain or cry foul. Me and OP are both sick of that shit, apparently. Political correctness is the death of art.

And for the latter, I believe a good writer can make any idea worthwhile, and a bad one can ruin even the most obvious, haha. A good writer knows how to balance the elements to their story, and I feel the best stories naturally appeal to almost everyone, simply because of the themes of a great human story are something anyone can relate to. More than "Oh, this is mostly for women" or "This is mostly for men."

It's great when everyone can just like something for being a good story. Guys and girls will obviously like different parts, but overall, the love for it will be the same.
I agree.

I just want point out one thing. I think maybe people who demand characters similar to themselves do not do so because they are unable to relate to other characters, but because they no longer want to. Seeing someone similar to yourself portrayed positively in the media (or society) you consume (live in) is important for the development of self-esteem.

I have no problem relating to male characters, or black characters or whatever, but I don't always want to. Sometimes I just wanna see a tv show with a white, female protagonist doing awesome stuff. And of course you always have some deranged SJW/Tumblerinas in the mix these days, but in general I believe it's a normal human desire to want to see characters portrayed who reflect who you are. :)

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
I agree.

I just want point out one thing. I think maybe people who demand characters similar to themselves do not do so because they are unable to relate to other characters, but because they no longer want to. Seeing someone similar to yourself portrayed positively in the media (or society) you consume (live in) is important for the development of self-esteem.

I have no problem relating to male characters, or black characters or whatever, but I don't always want to. Sometimes I just wanna see a tv show with a white, female protagonist doing awesome stuff. And of course you always have some deranged SJW/Tumblerinas in the mix these days, but in general I believe it's a normal human desire to want to see characters portrayed who reflect who you are. :)
It's so sad to me that people seek out validation from forms of media. Like, in the most superficial of ways too, in that "OH THEY'RE LIKE ME ON THE SURFACE" and nothing deeper than that. Exactly to me what racism and all other kinds of bullshit are, that ironically, the left claims to hate, they just embody the other side of it.

The reason why anyone can be inspired by a story or character, and it doesn't matter if they're the same or different, is because all the stuff that matters is beyond the surface. Women can like a male character if there's something about him that resonates. I myself absolutely love a good female character too, in anything; I care more about them as characters than if they're like me.

But we all have our preferences. If, say, given an opportunity to make a self-insert character in a game or something, like you, I will generally design a guy who's sort of an idealized me (or at the very least, just someone cool I'd like to play as), more similiar than different. Every character I want to play as will obviously have traits I find appealing to get into the role of; the same way every character by a writer is *some* part of them deep down. (You write what you know, after all). But that's not a requirement, and it's different each time; moods change.

The same way you might want to make a girl character like you, or maybe play a boy this one time or whatever else might be relevant to you at the moment. My point is, outside elements of anyone are the traits that matter the least.

You're German, so I'm sure you're tired of hearing NAZI talk, but for a side that is quick to use that as THE scapegoat excuse for people they disagree with, they are living embodiment of what Hitler stood for; only caring about superficial traits that don't actually matter. Oh how thick the irony runs.

This PC culture is so backwards, it's almost unbelievable there are people who genuinely push this bullshit and are this oblivious to the hypocrisy.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."
-G. Michael Hoph.

We're at that last one right now.
Hopefully we'll get back to the good stuff soon.

Twinkletard

kiwifarms.net
Shit, all of this SWJ and woke 'culture' can be traced back to the Something Awful forums.
I think it can be traced back even further to the mid 90s and all the "alternative" crap. The underlying hugbox hippie subculture that was underground prior to the 90s suddenly became mainstream.

Masculine traits (like being unselfish) became unfashionable and the world became more effeminate.

Dysnomia

Save trees. Wipe your ass with Corona-chan
kiwifarms.net
Many of the people moaning about "muh reprensentation" won't even bother consuming the media they demanded representation in. So the pandering is pretty much worthless. Those companies aren't making much money off the blue checkmarks and their minions. But they are alienating and pissing off the fans who pay their bills. It's all a stupid waste of effort. Get woke go broke. I hope Corona-chan shajes things up a bit. People have more to worry about than chainmail bikinis and the main character not being a transwoman of color.

LordofTendons

Don't pull it FFS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Part of this is just plain selfishness, self-centeredness and ego. The world revolves around me, so I have to be represented in all this media, media has to cater to my needs and sensitivities and can't ever offend me. I know all this is true because look at all the likes I get on my tik tok posts and instagrams.

Look at how they expect the everyone to cater to them with spoilers. No one should talk about a show to coddle the people who haven't seen it-- the onus is never on the person to avoid show/movie/book discussion. We even do it right here on this forum. They expect people in office and friend/family settings to protect them from spoilers weeks and months after the fact, and they do this with classic literature hundreds of years old. And before you know it, it's a cultural norm to never discuss entertainment lest a shrieking idiot scream that you ruined last year's run of American Idol.

They take zero responsibility even for turning the TV on and off. It's only natural that they would also make demands about the entertainment itself to the point that it has become homogenized slop.

frozenrunner

Salt supply chains have been interrupted.
kiwifarms.net
I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Western culture has been taken over by a kind of obnoxious, shrill, hysterical, malfunctioning femininity (women, but also neurotic men) that we haven't seen since the fundamentalist soccer moms of the 80s and 90s. It's the kind of mindset nobody wants to deal with, and because of that too much cultural territory has been been abandoned by people who don't want to engage with hysteria. Instead of laughing at these people and telling them to fuck off, everyone else has avoided them because they're crazy.

This reminds me of nothing else more than the kind of fundies I grew up around... except now the fundies are all on the Left. It's all there: weird, evidence-free beliefs that nominally make them "compassionate," "good" people, authoritarianism, endless purity spiraling, stock (absurd) answers for the supposed sources of all evil in the world, a total lack of critical thinking, aggression and appeals to mobbing as an answer to hard questions, etc.

And just like fundies in the 90s hated violent movies, rap music, sex depicted or even referred to in anything, and so on... the left is exactly the same way now. It originates from the same kind of mindset and, in my opinion, from the same kinds of people with the same personality types. In fact, a lot of the assholes on the Left now are the same people who were loud Evangelical Christians before.

gata

kiwifarms.net
Maybe if people stop being triggered by woman parts (puritan feminists) or manly parts (people who get triggered that a male gets sexualized lmao yeah we get it u not a fag alright), or get easily pissed off by anything there won't be this dumb bullshit going on.

#SexualizeWomenAndMen
#EqualDegeneracy2020

Hux

kiwifarms.net
I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Western culture has been taken over by a kind of obnoxious, shrill, hysterical, malfunctioning femininity (women, but also neurotic men) that we haven't seen since the fundamentalist soccer moms of the 80s and 90s. It's the kind of mindset nobody wants to deal with, and because of that too much cultural territory has been been abandoned by people who don't want to engage with hysteria. Instead of laughing at these people and telling them to fuck off, everyone else has avoided them because they're crazy.

This reminds me of nothing else more than the kind of fundies I grew up around... except now the fundies are all on the Left. It's all there: weird, evidence-free beliefs that nominally make them "compassionate," "good" people, authoritarianism, endless purity spiraling, stock (absurd) answers for the supposed sources of all evil in the world, a total lack of critical thinking, aggression and appeals to mobbing as an answer to hard questions, etc.

And just like fundies in the 90s hated violent movies, rap music, sex depicted or even referred to in anything, and so on... the left is exactly the same way now. It originates from the same kind of mindset and, in my opinion, from the same kinds of people with the same personality types. In fact, a lot of the assholes on the Left now are the same people who were loud Evangelical Christians before.
That's because you have to remember that a lot of these people today are like this because they practically are the children of the religious Fundie parents/communities of yesteryear. They may have made their transition during their adolescent rebellion phase, but the apple never really fell all that far from the tree considering they're just as big of unlikable killjoys as them.

Razorfist may be a lolcow, but he was still pretty right on the money when he told these people that they ran so hard from their parents that they became them on crack

Lemmingwise

Adorable
kiwifarms.net
The world revolves around me, so I have to be represented in all this media, media has to cater to my needs and sensitivities and can't ever offend me. I know all this is true because look at all the likes I get on my tik tok posts and instagrams
I don't even think it is about being right to most "influencers", I think it's more blatantly just about being popular.

Who needs to be right when they're popular?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I was already slightly politically adrift, but the real era of all this shit started in 2008. Occupy Wallstreet. A fucking cancer, replicating in the organs of society to this fucking day. I was ecstatic at first, but then I saw what was there. Progressive stacks. Harping about war. Gay rights. Trans Rights. Literally anything BUT Wallstreet. My family was deeply affected by the crisis and I just broke with hate at that point. I fucking hated all of them. They were hypocrites. They were using the crisis for their own petty, selfish ends and complete ignorance. This was the chance to fight against the rich, to take them down, and what the fuck did they do? Drum circles, idiotic clothing and signs that made it impossible to take them seriously.
This fucking shit. Frankly, worthless stoned idiots in drum circles did more to disillusion me with OWS and the rest of the proto-SJW shit than any number of words of rhetoric on the other side. God I hate that fucking shit and hate every one of those goddamn idiots.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I was ecstatic at first, but then I saw what was there. Progressive stacks. Harping about war. Gay rights. Trans Rights. Literally anything BUT Wallstreet. My family was deeply affected by the crisis and I just broke with hate at that point. I fucking hated all of them. They were hypocrites. They were using the crisis for their own petty, selfish ends and complete ignorance. This was the chance to fight against the rich, to take them down, and what the fuck did they do? Drum circles, idiotic clothing and signs that made it impossible to take them seriously. I saw them for what they were, and I guess you could say I basically wanted the progressive movement dead and the true liberal movement revived. We all know how that turned out.
I can't help but wonder whether that was an intentional subversion by rich, power people to prevent OWS from making actual meaningful change.

Divide up the lower classes by race and gender and suddenly they're at each other's throats and no longer looking at the man behind the curtain, it worked like gang busters, they compositely turbo fucked left wing politics.

I think there used to be things of value to left wing culture and politics, but not anymore, it's been completely corrupted.

Many of the people moaning about "muh reprensentation" won't even bother consuming the media they demanded representation in. So the pandering is pretty much worthless. Those companies aren't making much money off the blue checkmarks and their minions. But they are alienating and pissing off the fans who pay their bills. It's all a stupid waste of effort. Get woke go broke. I hope Corona-chan shajes things up a bit. People have more to worry about than chainmail bikinis and the main character not being a transwoman of color.
Every once in a blue moon something woke does hit it big though, like Get Out, Wonder Woman and Black Panther.

But it's still a far riskier prospect and more often than not "get woke, go broke" happens but still, that's why they're doing this, everyone wants to be the next Black Panther.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
Every once in a blue moon something woke does hit it big though, like Get Out, Wonder Woman and Black Panther.

But it's still a far riskier prospect and more often than not "get woke, go broke" happens but still, that's why they're doing this, everyone wants to be the next Black Panther.
True, but those were the exceptions to the rule alongside Captain Marvel.

Also, all three of them were from the earlier part of Current Year, with Get Out being released at the start of 2017, right as Trump was starting his term and everything was ramping up. 2017 was the very height of the SJW zeitgeist, at least up until now. You had the Me Too movement start, the rise of Antifa, and the massive uproar over the Charlottesville rally.

Wonder Woman was also in 2017 and Black Panther was in early 2018, riding on its status as an MCU flick to really make the big bucks and then the pandering to SJW's and black supremacists was just a mix of virtue signalling and gaining a few extra millions to top off the hundreds of millions they were going to make anyway.

Captain Marvel is the only one of the successful woke movies that was made after Summer 2018 and it mainly coasted on tying itself to the big Infinity War/Endgame two-part event that looked like the grand finale of the MCU, with the second MCU Spider-Man movie and the Black Widow prequel meant as a sort of epilogue.

Captain Marvel mainly grossed a billion dollars because it was part of the MCU hype and a lot of the commercials and ads made it look like seeing it was crucial to understanding the plot of the big Endgame movie later that year.

The MCU hype is finally slowing down and Corona-chan has been taking a baseball bat to The Rat's fortunes as of late.

I think what's different between now and then is that before 2019, you had plenty of movies that went woke and got broke, but you didn't have any major examples that proved the opposite as well. Enter Joker.

While a lot of people overstate Joker's importance in the culture war BS, it was worth taking note of. Joker is a largely apolitical movie, a dramatic tragedy and a Scorsese throwback disguised as a capeshit film. Even then, Todd Philips envisioned the movie to be an original movie at first, but had to tie it into DC Comics as a way to secure the funding from Warner Brothers.

In many ways, Joker is the antithesis of 2010's capeshit. It's not preachy even if it does hammer the point home on the tragedy of mental illness, there's no real agenda or any flashy big budget special effects, there is no black and white morality, only dark shades of gray, and no Whedon-esque snark or irony.

Before the movie was released, Joker was hit with a massive cancel culture campaign and was subject to a moral hysteria over incels and mass shootings for no real reason at all, save for the fact it had a white male protagonist and the movie is dark and morally ambiguous. Even the FBI and the US Army released official statements about it. Personally, I think Disney did some shady astroturfing to try and preemptively sink the movie and used Woke Twitter as their main tool.

But then the movie made a billion dollars at the box office despite the R rating and the online hysteria, and on a much lower budget than any MCU flick. There were also no mass shootings or any major incidents of violence at the theaters that were showing it.

And then it got nominated for eleven Oscars despite the Academy Awards being very lefty and often dismissive of anything even superficially resembling a genre film, and even won Best Actor that year.

Sonic The Hedgehog should've been even less significant in this, but it served as a good counter-example solely because Paramount listened to the criticism of the fans instead of insulting them and because it thrashed Birds of Prey at the box office despite its dark horse status.

Sonic is a goofball children's movie and not much else, but it doesn't try to put on airs and act as if it's self-aware or deep.

There's no irony, no preachy agenda, no lofty goals of trying to be artsy, no attempt at subverting expectations, and no snark beyond what's expected in a comedy. Sonic is a children's comedy and doesn't try to be anything beyond that. It's honest about what it is and just rolls with it. The kids liked it, and even the parents and older siblings probably enjoyed it a bit. And that was good enough.

As expected, Woke Twitter seethed, with MovieBob and Renegade Cut having the most idiotic hot takes of the lot. Everyone else just shrugged and went on with their lives.

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Adorable
kiwifarms.net
Unlike most of the internet, I actually do like Tina from Bob's Burgers. And trust me on this much.... THAT. IS. An unpopular to have anywhere.

However, while I so believe we need more female characters who aren't afraid to express themselves in a way that means something like Tina mostly succeeds in doing (hence why I can't dislike her.), Louise is the real best character on that show. We DEFINITELY need more female characters who stand out like Louise does, not just that of Tina - both Tina and Louise, IMHO.

If only for one simple enough reason we're covering here in this thread: neither Tina nor Louise fit the criteria for being SJWBS, which is a GOOD thing. Just one more reason I love Bob's Burgers so much, despite my concerns about it going on for too long like most animated US sitcoms tend to unfortunately do.
Nah, we should have fewer female characters overall and the remaining female characters should be voiced or played by men and troons.

Bring back shakesperean theatre times.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
One of the primary reasons people are such pussies these days is because we're so far removed from genuine racism and sexism that any sort of slight against women or minorities is seen as this big horrible act.

I had to read Casino Royale recently for a class, and what was fascinating was that James Bond was genuinely sexist. There was a line that stated that he believed that women were for recreation, not work. And of course, that's his thought process at the idea of having to work with a woman during the first part of the book. Meanwhile in this other class I'm taking, the professor directed the class' attention to a specific line in a different book and pointed out how unbelievably sexist it was. The line? The teenage protagonist not wanting to be seen shaking "like a girl" in front of his friends. That's not even close to being unbelievably sexist. If I were being charitable, I'd put it at really mild at best.

It's not quite a 1:1 comparison since Casino Royale was written in the 50s so some of Bond's thought processes were commonplace at the time, but when looked at through a modern lens it comes off as sexist. It's just that if any of the people in that other class read Casino Royale they would have had a stroke from reading from the perspective of someone who is genuinely sexist and not this pussy "like a girl" shit. People have become so sensitive that anything that might be sexist is considered as such and they lost sight on what true sexism actually is.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's not quite a 1:1 comparison since Casino Royale was written in the 50s so some of Bond's thought processes were commonplace at the time, but when looked at through a modern lens it comes off as sexist.
Bond was considered chauvinist even then, but it wasn't considered to be the most heinous crime imaginable. Even today much boomer humor is centered around vaguely misogynist "wife bad" jokes. Normal people really don't give a shit about harmless banter between the sexes, of which there are two.

Lemmingwise

Adorable
kiwifarms.net
Bond was considered chauvinist even then, but it wasn't considered to be the most heinous crime imaginable. Even today much boomer humor is centered around vaguely misogynist "wife bad" jokes. Normal people really don't give a shit about harmless banter between the sexes, of which there are two.
Part of it is that the older you get, the more experience you have, the more likely you see the inherent differences between men and women. But this can never be said out loud in polite company. So the "misogynist jokes" are a way to blow of steamy and tell the truth once in a while.

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Adorable
kiwifarms.net
I honest to God don't understand what the hell you're blabbering about. What do you mean it isn't about the money? These are businesses after-all. Everything they do is to get money from your pocket.
There is a difference between "it isn't all about the money" and "it isn't about money at all". I said the former, you interpreted the latter.

Though even if one would take the position that it's all only about the money, then still would there be value in say, "wasting money" to affect the marketplace to get more money. So a business can sell a certain product at a loss to undercut and destroy competitors, if they have a large enough warchest.

Similarly cultural products, such as movies, can be leveraged in a culture war to high emotion experiences towards certain attitudes. As Andrew Breitbart once said; politics is downstream from culture. How much money are people spending to affect voting patterns? How much money are people spending at creating adverts to sell toys? You don't think it's even possible for a single movie to be made where a primary goal isn't the money gained from ticketsales?

Somehow the whole multitude of human ambitions is suddenly focused on only one singular thing?

Last edited:
Tags
None