Why are supply chains borked? -

DeadFish

I've may have made some mistakes...
kiwifarms.net
I keep reading about issues about supply chains. From wood becoming a volatile community (price wise) to gas shortages due to trucking industry having issues with drivers.

Whats going on and why?

DumbDude42

kiwifarms.net
tl;dr covid and how the governments around the world react to it

it did lots of wacky things to lots of industries, many of the issues covid has caused will cause more issues in other fields or at a later time.
for example the microchip shortage, it affects all sorts of businesses, from obvious ones like pc hardware manufacturers to not so obvious ones like automobile industry.
theres also the issue of quantitative easing, it's been pushed up to insane levels by several central banks around the world, and the financial markets are all distorted as a result.

basically the economy in general is krangled in so many different way right now, it's impossible to make predictions or tell what's causing what. maybe in 50 years people will be able to tell with certainty "X policy caused Y shortage which killed Z sector" but for now nobody can really see through the mess

Last edited:

Milkis

New feeling of soda beverage
kiwifarms.net
tl;dr covid and how the governments around the world react to it

it did lots of wacky things to lots of industries, many of the issues covid has caused will cause more issues in other fields or at a later time.
for example the microchip shortage, it affects all sorts of businesses, from obvious ones like pc hardware manufacturers to not so obvious ones like automobile industry.
theres also the issue of quantitative easing, it's been pushed up to insane levels by several central banks around the world, and the financial markets are all distorted as a result.

basically the economy in general is krangled in so many different way right now, it's impossible to make predictions or tell what's causing what. maybe in 50 years people will be able to tell with certainty "X policy caused Y shortage which killed Z sector" but for now nobody can really see through the mess
I am far from an ancap but I concur that our economy is generally over-krangled at the moment

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Disruptions from shutting down the economy for a year (blame the governors), and massive inflation from overspending.
It has absolutely jackshit to do with governors. Its about plants having shut down for months, both here and abroad, and then started up again, and companies not knowing whether 2021 was going to be a boom or a bust. Its now looking like a boom in the US, which is leaving people scrambling due to the lead times associated with ordering, manufacturing and shipping items.

Neigh

Glue factory enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
It has absolutely jackshit to do with governors. Its about plants having shut down for months, both here and abroad, and then started up again, and companies not knowing whether 2021 was going to be a boom or a bust. Its now looking like a boom in the US, which is leaving people scrambling due to the lead times associated with ordering, manufacturing and shipping items.
The factory workers here have talked about parts shortages due to factories abroad shutting down or slowing. One car factory was running out of engines because the engine factory in europe was partially shut down. I don't think people understand how complex and global economies are.