Why are the British seen as "cultured"?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
If I had to give my reasons, it could be because of the sheer volume of literature their authors have contributed starting from Chaucer right down to Tolkein and C.S. Lewis. Also I do thoroughly respect their line of actors or types of actors represented by the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Charles Dance, Patrick Stewart (ignoring his politics of course), Brian Blessed, and many others.

Kacho

brb moving to flo rida
kiwifarms.net
I don't know. Personally I've never understood why people associate British accents with intelligence either. The only British people who sound intelligent, like in any other population, are the upper class. 99% of British people speak with accents that rival the worst southern drawls in terms of making the person speaking sound like an inbred genetic malformation. Scouse maybe being the worst.

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
It's basically an old cliché from the 19th century. When Britain ruled the waves and had it's empire her colonies were starting up and basically looked up at Britain as the model to follow.

It's like when people say that the Germans are militant or the French are romantics. Maybe those would have been true at one time but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Slimy Time

Foot Fetish 2: Electric Boogaloo.
kiwifarms.net
Years of film and media - The old British gentleman - well dressed and unflappable in the face of danger.

Yeah...it's horseshit. That image died a long time ago. Maybe Jacob Rees Mogg holds onto that image, but the rest of the country hasn't. Now it's the chav, the loisence police, the muslim rape gang or Norf FC when you think of modern British stereotypes.

Doctor Placebo

Bloody, bloody 2020.
kiwifarms.net
Cool sounding accent and Hollywood usually makes Brit characters more sophisticated and intelligent than their American counterparts in their quest to make people think Londonistan is something to emulate. TBH Hollywood has had a Brit fetish for a long time due to them being foreign, and therefore exotic, but not too foreign, and therefore easy to understand.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Fun fact about Shakespeare--his dialect sounds more American than British.

This video describes "Original Pronunciation" of Shakespeare. It's pretty rough, like a lot of regional English accents instead of posh British nonsense. Or American for that matter. People would laugh at Shakespeare performed in standard American English yet Shakespeare in Received Pronunciation is just as nonsensical.

But really, it's because the Anglophiles outside of England kept winning culturally and politically. Only in the United States did they ever successfully defeat the Anglophiles and make their own country, yet the US shamefully fell right back under their cultural domination even though we had the heritage of those who opposed the bastards in charge of the UK, lots of cool Native American heritage (from Powhatan and Squanto to Cahokia), African heritage (where do you think the banjo comes from and music like the blues, jazz, rock, and rap which the world has been enamored with for so many decades), and the Europeans we incorporated like all the immigrants to the US. The elite didn't want to cultivate a true American identity, they just allied with the British imperialists.

But the British repeatedly won in Canada (including in the War of 1812 and the Canadian Revolution of 1837) and the US never fought them. American elites cultivated a British accent, the Transatlantic accent. Anglophile American elites decided to force the United States into World War I on the side of the Entente even though neutrality or even joining the Central Powers was better for the United States (freeing Canada from British oppression and dismantling their Caribbean Empire). At least there are nice counter-examples like the original Star Wars trilogy where the bad guys speak in British accents and the good guys speak in American accents (aside from Obi-Wan I guess).

Modern Anglophiles don't realize that so much of Britain has been preserved in the United States, like the ideal of freedom from the king and the essence of English common law. Shit, New England is what England should aspire to be (and suffers from the same shit), enjoy your fish and chips and obnoxious yet distinctive accent (still sounds nicer than a Southern or Texas accent) and sports riots (beat up Yankees fans at Fenway, but that's vengeance for the shit that goes on at Yankee Stadium). But in New England there's a real sense of what England used to be with the shops, the architecture, and hard-working people. Or that's what New England was 30-40 years ago, although it held on longer (and still barely holds on in some parts) in New Hampshire, parts of Vermont, and Maine. Boston and its suburbs are a shitty version of London now, with all the immigrant crime and dumb politicians that implies. The rest of New England (Springfield MA, Hartford CT, Providence RI) is like the plagued suburbs of Birmingham/Manchester (but with Puerto Ricans/Dominicans) or like parts of Scotland with the insane amounts of heroin, fentanyl and other drugs. Just check Fall River or New Bedford for lots of white criminals in one place.
I don't know. Personally I've never understood why people associate British accents with intelligence either. The only British people who sound intelligent, like in any other population, are the upper class. 99% of British people speak with accents that rival the worst southern drawls in terms of making the person speaking sound like an inbred genetic malformation. Scouse maybe being the worst.
Only Brits I'll approve of are those narrating documentaries. But I hate how they choose Brits for narration because they sound "intelligent". Most British accents are pretentious at best and obnoxious at worst. There's plenty of British accents like Southern English and Texas English that make the speaker sound dumb.
Because Americans idolized them as such, for pretty superficial reasons like their class system and the fact that they speak the English language properly. No one else was ever under any illusion that Great Britain was anything more than a perfidious overgrown leper colony.
British influence is so pernicious in culture that it even affects how people sing in English. Notice how Americans rarely pronounce their "r's" when singing?

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
99% of British people speak with accents that rival the worst southern drawls in terms of making the person speaking sound like an inbred genetic malformation. Scouse maybe being the worst.
Shut up, faggot. Pottery, Black Country and old school Yorkshire are the closest connections to Middle English and therefore are national treasures.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
Probably because just about every successful culture in existence today owes it's success, at least in part, to Britain and it's history. The industrial revolution started in Britain, the Magna Carta was created in Britain, the original bill of rights was written in Britain, and the British Empire spread civilization to more corners of the globe than arguably any other power in history.

It's natural that people would look up to that, and associate it with high culture.

Xarpho

plz no bully
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a cultural romanticization of "jolly old London". I remember distinctly walking into a British-themed store in my hometown with all sorts of imported candies, teas, books, and other items, only to be reminded of "real" Britain at the counter with a book featuring the "diversity" of the country.

It's the same way Hollywood depicts Californian cities is as fun, pleasant, and predominantly white.