Why do black people like this hat? - none of the black people I know can give me an explanation

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have taken to wearing an old beater of a canvas hat for some time now in order to keep off the sun and rain when working outdoors and the weather requires it. It's a pretty unremarkable and ratty hat, but ever since I started to use it, I am regularly having black people coming up to me in the street or in the check-out line or at lunch to tell me some variety of "sheeit, das a real nice hat you got dere".

It's gotten to the point that if I am wearing the hat, there is a 50/50 chance that the next middle aged, lower-class black man or woman I walk past will stop whatever they are doing to come up to me and say that they admire my hat. One time this older black guy even seriously offered to trade a serving of his freshly cooked roasted chicken for the hat. None of the younger (20-30s year old) middle class blacks I know and work with think there is anything remarkable about the hat, but for some reason those middle aged lower class blacks have some special affinity towards it.

Any idea why this hat seems to confer +5 Charisma when interacting with lower-income blacks?

And before you ask, I pinned up the right-hand brim of the hat so that it doesn't obstruct the rear-view mirror when I am driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_171228[1].jpg
    IMG_20190121_171228[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 301

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@millais why tf do you have a had with fucking mao zedong on it
The commies made so many hundreds of millions of those dumb metal badges that they ran out of aluminum for their military aircraft manufacturing in the Cultural Revolution times. One of my relatives picked up a 1967 vintage for a few cents in the 1980s while attending some kind of international human rights conference in Beijing. I just use it to pin up the hat brim since it looks a little nicer than a safety pin, and because it's just a mass-produced commie relic, I don't really mind that it gets all scratched and beaten up in daily wear.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hats like that used to be popular as part of a military-type getup back in mid-to-late '90s rap culture. Everybody wanted to be an Italian mobster, but they all dressed like they shopped at the army-navy surplus.
Thanks, that's probably it then. I don't know anything about hiphop or rap culture from today, much less from the '90s.
Yeah, beanie is not practical for me because the only reason I need the hat in the first place is for the sun and rain, so it would have to have a brim that can shade the neck and face.