Why do Gen Z and Millennials not engage with the past so much?

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

I agree with the KF mods - I support Ukraine
kiwifarms.net
In past generations, you'd have thinkers and philosophers quote the Greek and Roman greats, or playrights, poets, thinkers, so on. You had people reading a wealth of philosophy and history to understand how we got to the ever-present "NOW" from the "THEN." But now Millennials... they don't seem to care much about what happened before their lifetime. They know about WWII, have a vague understanding of the Vietnam war, probably don't even know the Korean war was a thing, and just sort of live in an eternal childhood where their interests are the exact same as they were when they were kids. Grown "men" are playing pokemon and watching anime no less when they were 16 years old, and the content they consume is largely the same quality.

I think since the 80s we've been massively going downhill in most popular forms of music. Movies today are worse than they've ever been, and the literature world is now dominated by the same socially-conscious messages that are repeated ad nauseum despite never containing or saying anything new, or even offering any new insights, just recontextualizing things into the worst and least charitable form of oppression, endlessly.

The best you sometimes get is some nerd that tries to resurrect "natural law" because they have a hard on for Enlightenment-era thinking and think philosophy ended where their high school education left off.

Red Hood

Vote for me
kiwifarms.net
Because the past is RACIST and SEXIST and triggers them too much.

But seriously, consumerist pop culture ultimately cultivates a goldfish mentality. They want you to like NEW THING. How can you spend your pitiful disposable income on NEW THING if you're busy engaging with OLD THING? I wouldn't be surprised if it's all intentional. Destroy the old unless it can prey on nostalgia.

MT Foxtrot

It better be some Mark Twain shit....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't help that we can't even agree on WHAT the past was anymore, when you have not just the usual suspects doing "Hiter/Stalin/Pol Pot/ect DID NUTHIN WRONG!" and "ALIENS DID IT!" but you also get new retards pushing "The Roman Empire didn't exist!" The waters are muddy as fuck. I wouldn't blame any soul not wanting that headache.

Just finding millennials into music, books, and movies prior the 90s that isn't shit like Led Zeppelin or Terminator feels like a rare occurrence. Am I exaggerating?
Yes, but the level of acceptance is still unacceptable.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
Doesn't help that we can't even agree on WHAT the past was anymore, when you have not just the usual suspects doing "Hiter/Stalin/Pol Pot/ect DID NUTHIN WRONG!" and "ALIENS DID IT!" but you also get new retards pushing "The Roman Empire didn't exist!" The waters are muddy as fuck. I wouldn't blame any soul not wanting that headache.

Yes, but the level of acceptance is still unacceptable.

I just have been developing an interest in, well, everything. Music from past generations, history, literature. The stuff you have to dig to find, the truly good stuff. There's so much wealth to choose from.

The one boon my mother did as a child was get me reading and get me reading a LOT when I was young. I was reading sociology, psychology, philosophy (the real stuff) at a young age, partially to resolve discrepancies in the worldviews of different things I was reading. So I've always investigated the past for ideas as well as the present. And in recent times I've entered a semi-retirement due to careful planning in my "younger" years and have used the time to self-educate a bit more. As time goes on, I develop more interests in things outside of what is contemporary. I end up distant from others where I can't connect on a basic level. Imagine, I live among a generation that thought Lady Gaga was avant-garde. Look at my fucking avatar; I know better. Dates, a trip to the bar, whatever; it's always the new "big" thing that has no substance to it. How do you talk to people in this world? They're entirely made up of "the last 10 years." None of them have a personality beyond that. They're soulless reflections of current trends.

MT Foxtrot

It better be some Mark Twain shit....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The stuff you have to dig to find, the truly good stuff. There's so much wealth to choose from.
Oh no doubt, though I confess my digging is piecemeal into niche phenomenon or eras (The Sengoku Jidai, the youth culture gangs and subsequent advent of Punk in the UK, the immigrant gang violence in 19th century America, you get the idea)

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
The average person doesn't really care about things that came before them. Try asking a boomer what their favorite movie from the 1930's was. Most common answer will probably be Wizard of Oz.
If I said I don't have a favorite 1930s movie but I enjoy Cœur fidèle from 1923 for its rather experimental cinematography for the time? Do I get bonus hipster points for it being a subtitled French film too?

Well, I do have Dark Victory (1939) slated to watch.

But seriously, I can give a pass due to the very early nature of the medium on movies. But imagine never reading a classic novel out of personal enjoyment. I couldn't understand that.

Oh no doubt, though I confess my digging is piecemeal into niche phenomenon or eras (The Sengoku Jidai, the youth culture gangs and subsequent advent of Punk in the UK, the immigrant gang violence in 19th century America, you get the idea)

So is mine. It's like we all have the souls of scribes and the torchbearers from generations past, but modern decline of the human spirit has set us without use or purpose, despite how integral our missions are for the human race. I'm being hyperbolic, of course, but I do see that the Farms are surprisingly cultured for being full of right-leaning Millennials. Shockingly so, as what's posted in the music and movie threads is very atypical of many things other Millenials and Gen Zers look into, even supposedly "artsy" liberals.

Red Hood

Vote for me
kiwifarms.net
I suppose there's also, kids today, the oldest generation they know are the boomers. I (a millennial) grew up with grandparents of the WWII generation. I watched 30's monster movies and listened to old time radio programs my grandma had on tape.

What's funny is that this stuff is available at an instant now. I spent a huge chunk of allowance as a teenager hunting down collections of The Shadow on cassette tape. You can go on YouTube or whatever now and find decent recordings of old time radio. Whatever music you want, it's right at your fingertips. You just have to go looking.

But, I think that most people in most generations are unremarkable and only interested in the now. Keep in mind that when we look at older generations we're filtering through the common rube and viewing the most exceptional (in the real sense, not the Kiwi Farms meme sense) people of that generation.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

And he who controls the past, controls the present.

Last edited:

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
I suppose there's also, kids today, the oldest generation they know are the boomers. I (a millennial) grew up with grandparents of the WWII generation. I watched 30's monster movies and listened to old time radio programs my grandma had on tape.

What's funny is that this stuff is available at an instant now. I spent a huge chunk of allowance as a teenager hunting down collections of The Shadow on cassette tape. You can go on YouTube or whatever now and find decent recordings of old time radio. Whatever music you want, it's right at your fingertips. You just have to go looking.

But, I think that most people in most generations are unremarkable and only interested in the now. Keep in mind that when we look at older generations we're filtering through the common rube and viewing the most exceptional (in the real sense, not the Kiwi Farms meme sense) people of that generation.
True, but things today have to be worse. The literature of our generation is Harry Potter and there are probably more good movies in the 80s alone than have come out in the last 20 years.

The Gangster Computer

It just works.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because the past is RACIST and SEXIST and triggers them too much.

But seriously, consumerist pop culture ultimately cultivates a goldfish mentality. They want you to like NEW THING. How can you spend your pitiful disposable income on NEW THING if you're busy engaging with OLD THING? I wouldn't be surprised if it's all intentional. Destroy the old unless it can prey on nostalgia.
This, and much like with half of Gen Y and part of Gen X, they lack the attention span, imagination and patience to read books unless its Harry Potter e-books.

Pixy

Yo, buddy. Still alive
kiwifarms.net
The problem would be the accessibility of too much information via the internet. Society is now capable of producing spergs who hyperfocus on one thing, and never go outside of their bubble, thanks to the internet.

One could spend hours going through some fandom wiki, as we see with the relationship between the 'new wave' of weens and the Cwcki, or even KF's own users, trawling through dozens of pages on threads/subforums for an individual lolcow.

With so much information readily accessible, and so little time, there's a bountiful number of rabbit holes anyone can get sucked into. Sure, you could read about history, watch documentaries and videos of dubious accuracy and truthfulness (hence why there are so many young wehraboos), but you could also read about this super-obscure thing on the internet.

The latter would seem more interesting.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
Everything sucked after the year 2000.
That really feels like the cut off point. The 90s were getting bad already, but by 2000 it was a new world, and the internet starting making its babysteps to the dystopia we have today.

Remember when the Farms would have just been another community on the internet? Now it's one of the largest forums that I know of where you can just discuss shit. Everything has been consolidated.

The problem would be the accessibility of too much information via the internet. Society is now capable of producing spergs who hyperfocus on one thing, and never go outside of their bubble, thanks to the internet.

One could spend hours going through some fandom wiki, as we see with the relationship between the 'new wave' of weens and the Cwcki, or even KF's own users, trawling through dozens of pages on threads/subforums for an individual lolcow.

With so much information readily accessible, and so little time, there's a bountiful number of rabbit holes anyone can get sucked into. Sure, you could read about history, watch documentaries and videos of dubious accuracy and truthfulness (hence why there are so many young wehraboos), but you could also read about this super-obscure thing on the internet.

The latter would seem more interesting.

The problem is, there is so much history and they still seem to focus on the last 10 years. It seems like even Gen Xers engaged with Baby Boomer music. Millennials barely know of any greats past The Beatles and Nirvana (not that I'd say Nirvana is great) and such. Agreed about the wehraboos, that's another symptom--if people know anything of the past, it's WWII or some very popular topic. (Interest in Ancient Romans gets a pass since that really is when the Western tradition starts and I think schools should put greater focus on it).

People mark me as "sperg" and stuff (usually women and anime avatars...but I repeat myself) but I've been thinking a lot about where we are now and where we are headed and struggle as I try to find some streak of optimism, I just find new depths of bleakness. With the internet now we should be having a Renaissance explosion of culture and new ideas--like when the Gutenberg printing press was invented. Instead we've seen the opposite.

Ike Aim

kiwifarms.net
The Internet. There's simply too much media/information, too accessible, all the time. It's particularly bad with the advent of the "feed", with unstructured, poorly-structured, or crypto-structured information being blasted at media-consumers 24/7. The thing is, I don't think those Millennials or Zoomers have much of an understanding of society and culture post-internet, either. I don't think anyone does. It's all part of The End of History, the eternal now. It's just that Millennials and Zoomers get it doubly-bad because unlike Gen-X and the oldest Millennials, they don't have any real experience of a time when there was a unified, coherent cultural and historical canon, either.