Why do Gen Z and Millennials not engage with the past so much?

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Because the world is SO BAD, like diet soda.
kiwifarms.net
In past generations, you'd have thinkers and philosophers quote the Greek and Roman greats, or playrights, poets, thinkers, so on. You had people reading a wealth of philosophy and history to understand how we got to the ever-present "NOW" from the "THEN." But now Millennials... they don't seem to care much about what happened before their lifetime. They know about WWII, have a vague understanding of the Vietnam war, probably don't even know the Korean war was a thing, and just sort of live in an eternal childhood where their interests are the exact same as they were when they were kids. Grown "men" are playing pokemon and watching anime no less when they were 16 years old, and the content they consume is largely the same quality.

I think since the 80s we've been massively going downhill in most popular forms of music. Movies today are worse than they've ever been, and the literature world is now dominated by the same socially-conscious messages that are repeated ad nauseum despite never containing or saying anything new, or even offering any new insights, just recontextualizing things into the worst and least charitable form of oppression, endlessly.

The best you sometimes get is some nerd that tries to resurrect "natural law" because they have a hard on for Enlightenment-era thinking and think philosophy ended where their high school education left off.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Because the world is SO BAD, like diet soda.
kiwifarms.net
"EvErYhInG GoT WoRsE SiNcE tHe 80'Z"
Holy shit, people need to stop nostalgiafagging for the 80's so hard. Every generation has had corruption and clownery to the point it seemed like the world is ending. Now that everybody's dumb ass is plugged into the Internetz all the time the bad things get hyperfocused because that's how (((they))) get you. Stop wallowing in what you see as all the insurmountable problems of the world and live your gay ass life while blasting whatever garbage fucking generic dadrock it is you like.
I barely post on the internet anymore, it's too shit. I come to KF basically to get away from the wokeness and surface-level pop culture that I see everyday in a red state (with a very blue city). Everyone fucking knows movies, music, and so many other things started getting worse in the 80s, and everyone knows things are now about the Perpetual Now moreso than they've ever been. Unless you want to defend the endless reboots, Marvel shit, and autotune rap music that has dominated everything the past 20 years then you have to admit--things are just not good right now. Will they be better sometime? I doubt it, but I hope so. Millennials never grew up.

It's probably an end result of being able to look up facts on the internet. You don't figure anything out yourself. You just regurgitate when you read. Made worse with algorithmic echo-chambers and bubbles.

It is complex though. The whole, "party of science" shit did come about in large part because of science denial over issues like climate change. The problem is, where we are now is not where we were 15 years ago. Now we have so many people that look online and glance at any opinion of fact as to what to know. Not what to think, there is no thinking. The same way one may look up the date of a historical event on Wikipedia. Then assume that is 100% correct. People look up opinions and world views. Uncritically assume that is what they must know.

I find it insane, I am a generation half in / half out of this change. I know so many people who are passionate about issues, yet know fuck all about them. They know literally nothing besides what opinion to have and be passionate about.
The problem is we have gone back to teaching things with a sense of institutional privilege and not teaching people how to be engaged, active, critical thinkers. That's why the same people who wear lucky energy stones or whatever go "HAH, SCIENCE!" when an unusual weather pattern can be blamed on climate change (the inverse of what conservatives do on the same topic, I'd add). We've taught people they need to be activists--not in terms of self-discipline or self-improvement and bettering the world that way, but by literally going out and combatting other people.

What's really disturbing is this distorted sense of history. They barely know what happened in their own country, and they're so passionate and Dunning-Kreuger that they think their passion is wisdom. They literally cannot see the difference between Nazis and Trump supporters. Some demagogue makes a lame simile comparing the two and these dimwits clap like seals and Listen and Believe the Revealed scripture. They're so fucking stupid, tasteless, and ignorant, and once the economy crumbles these fucking maniacs are gonna get violent.

Commander Panic

Your excellence is wasted on the enemy.
kiwifarms.net
Hah. Gotcha, kiddo. Better think twice before you come at yer betters, ha ha. You see that? I gotcha with the good old fashioned hat reaction emoji. Just like the system that brainwashed and actively controls my existence explicitly permits. Whatcha gonna do? Poopies in your diapers, kiddo? Ha. Ha. I sure gotten! Mary Lou!? Look at mah internet post! I sure did own this kiddo! I still got it! Ha. Ha. Teach you about the ranch, punk. Ha. Ha. You even have an account made after 1986. What a l o s e r.

Solar Eclipse Paradox

Niggers from Achernar
kiwifarms.net
Because the past isn't as dumbed down or autistic enough for them and anything that does challenge them overwhelms them with complex topics they'll never be able to understand. They lived a life neglected by their parents where all they hear are authoritative news and McDonald's music and anything considered complex or critical is perceived by them as white supremacy. That's why those who don't yearn for the past want to rewrite it.