Why do people hate Margaret Thatcher? -

Barry Scott

kiwifarms.net
As most of this thread concerns her handling of the north of Great Britain, driving it into a massive recession, I thought I'd chime in with something different, her handling of the ongoing Troubles in Northern Ireland which was was nothing short of disastrous.

Loyalist paramilitaries were receiving funding from her government in secret. The British Army sent bunch of barely trained young soldiers to try keep the peace, which ended with support for the IRA growing amongst Catholic Nationalist communities due to the constant oppression committed by the Army. Also y'know, the war crimes committed primarily by the actually highly trained and ruthless Parachute Regiment both before and during her tenure.

Hunger Strikes taken by IRA prisoners led by Bobby Sands, who wanted to be recognised as PoW, were ignored by her, resulting in ten men dying, divisions worsening and the British embassy in Dublin being burned out on the night of Bobby Sands death.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1315086
Margaret Thatcher puppet gave me endless nightmares.
But on a side note, wasn't her cabinet also problematic? As well as been taken photos with Jimmy Savile who's like an alleged pedo?
She was extremely corrupt and willing to work outside the system.

1590261386217.png

What I find more weird is how Reagan is beloved despite shit like Iran/Contra, offshoring and funding the Taliban.

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
Didn't Thatcher roll back the decriminalization of cannabis that happened during the 1970's, causing drug related crime to spike?

Seed Pod Tits

kiwifarms.net
Destroyed the North, esp industry, just look what she did to Wales engaged a policy of "managed decline" for major cities, shacked up with Murdoch. I could do a text wall but instead I'll just finish with "cunt".
And she was a shopkeeper's daughter so also class traitor.

Fin.

I'd love to do one more on what she ordered on the Falkland's but no......

Also ginger

Kornheiser

kiwifarms.net
I can answer the last question. Modernizing an industry necessities adding new blood, new blood that will be far more important than anyone before (and likely justifies firing large chunks of the old blood). This will severely weaken the Union members who'd rather have the whole company go down than let go an iota of power.
I never understood why so many people in Britain after the war did not want to come to terms on improving the country. I get the upper classes not being willing but why were the working classes so deadset against improving their own positions that didn’t involve getting back at the upper class. Was wanting to have your kids do better than you working in a factory or mine frowned upon by the working class and if so why?

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I never understood why so many people in Britain after the war did not want to come to terms on improving the country. I get the upper classes not being willing but why were the working classes so deadset against improving their own positions that didn’t involve getting back at the upper class. Was wanting to have your kids do better than you working in a factory or mine frowned upon by the working class and if so why?
I think the Brits have some derangement where they pick shitty leaders and follow them all the way to the grave despite every warning sign. So all the lower class workers blindly followed the union leaders who rejected technological advancement because they were afraid of losing their position and bargaining power. The end result was inefficent bodies who could never compete against countries that did advance, so were doomed to extinction.

There is an episode of James May's Cars of the People that talks about it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3oe1yo (I wish it could embed).
I recommend the series in general.

jellycar

I thought I knew whose lies I was telling...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to say something controversial. I think as a woman in power she definitely made history. But she was a horrid asshole. She apparently cut milk from school lunches. She also covered up the pedophilia at the BBC. So yes, she's currently rotting in damnation, but you can see she was a part of history despite being a bitch.

• Agree
Reactions: Mrs Paul

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
De-industrialization is a exceptional policy. Sure she stood up to Argentina but she kowtowed to China.
She kowtowed to China because British trade unions were so unrealistically inflexible that negotiating any kind of change with them was more or less impossible. They were unable to grasp that modernizing industries usually results in job losses so they refused to allow it to happen. British industry therefore fell behind and became noncompetitive. The same has happened with our railways, the London Docks (where unloading a ship took up to 3 weeks because of union negotiations) and British Telecom.

ICametoLurk

SCREW YOUR OPTICS, I'M GOING IN
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The attitude of punk rock was a lot easier to churn up and sustain under Thatcher and Reagan. Keeping things shitty, or making them worse is necessary to the brand.

Bass

kiwifarms.net
So here is a question for you guys, how do you think a Labour government would have delt with things in the 80's?

I ask because everything I see says she was some kind of a monster, yet she didn't lose an elextion during her tenure. If she was so terrible, why is that?

ICametoLurk

SCREW YOUR OPTICS, I'M GOING IN
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So here is a question for you guys, how do you think a Labour government would have delt with things in the 80's?
Falklands War would be viewed as good since it led to a government that killed anyone left of Pinochet resigning instead of viewed as bad solely cause Maggie did it that led to a government that killed anyone left of Pinochet resigning.

Kinda like Iraq War is viewed as bad cause Bush when Al Gore wanted to

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Michael Jacks0n

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
I never understood why so many people in Britain after the war did not want to come to terms on improving the country.
Mostly because it's debtable if she actually improved the country, most of the people who don't like her don't actually believe she made things better and may have proactively made thinks worse. The fact the countries slowly sliding into oblivion gives this idea clout.

Last edited:

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
This thread should have been created for Theresa May instead. Thatcher was a bitch and had plenty of detractors but she was not booted out as P.M after just three short years like May. Margaret was Prime Minister for more than a decade. We know she was hated by many but the fact that remained on for so long demonstrates she had many supporters. I truly hated politician exits as quickly as they came in.

Theresa May sits forgotten like yesterdays news on the other hand.

Tags
None