Why do people stay on antidepressants if it makes them feel apathetic? - correct me if I'm using apathetic wrong, don't forget to call me a nigger for it.

RetardedCat

javascript is the future, Josh.
kiwifarms.net
So this might have some amount of powerlevel or whatever but fuck it, I'm still not going to self-dox cause I know you guys would love that.

I've been on antidepressants, anxiolytics and antipsychotics for almost 5 years now. And while they keep me going and stop the thoughts of doing a flip, they also completely stop every other nice good thoughts I could get. My feelings are just a constant stream of absolutely nothing.
And that's kind of my problem with it. I know I can't go on without the meds but the meds don't make me feel good, they just make me feel nothing.
I guess it doesn't help that I work garbage jobs to make ends meet these days — the kind of jobs where you just turn off your brain for ten hours. And I'm sure it plays a part, but even when I worked a nice job I liked, I still didn't feel too much when I lost that.

Meds don't really solve the problem —of doing a flip— it's fairly obvious, but they're such an easy way to at least avoid it. And it seems you can't cure most mental health issues with anything but a shotgun, so why not take the meds if they give you time? Is it realy worth it if the meds turn you into a mindless zombie who doesn't really care about much? Is there a better alternative? Or is it all just an endless cycle of apathy until you give up?

So maybe some of you guys have been on meds for some time and feel the same, and if so, why do you keep using them?
Or maybe you're on meds but doing just fine and you've got an idea of why.
Or maybe you're not on meds but you've got a pretty good idea of why.

Regardless, I honestly wonder if it's just me or if there's something there.

ScamL Likely

IT'S! NOT! EVEN! HOT! OUT! SIDE~!
kiwifarms.net
What you have to understand about psychiatry is that even under the best possible circumstances it's not about making you happy, it's about attempting to make you more functional in the broader context of society. I'm pretty severely fucked in the head myself but I refuse to be medicated because society can eat a bucket of dicks.

RetardedCat

kiwifarms.net
What you have to understand about psychiatry is that even under the best possible circumstances it's not about making you happy, it's about attempting to make you more functional in the broader context of society. I'm pretty severely fucked in the head myself but I refuse to be medicated because society can eat a bucket of dicks.
Why not be functional, what do you gain from not being functional?

What's so bad about being apathetic?
Apathy isn't fun and not having fun isn't nice

Case in point. You don't even know what it is.
Of course you're still on SSRIs.
Are you telling me to trade SSRIs for an anesthetic? How does that not still turn someone into a zombie?

Death Grip

Autistic Shart Botherers
kiwifarms.net
Ketamine infusions have been shown to have good results when used to treat depression. But I don't think the studies have reached a stage three trial but I might be wrong.
The understanding we have of drugs such as anti-depressants and how they balance brain function is not very well understood and will react differently in different people because we all have very different brain chemistry.
Venlafaxine for example is most excellent at triggering mania which it will do for around 1 in 4-5 people who take it. Why it does this, no one really knows.
I am currently trying to get put on something called agomelatine, which is an uphill battle because it is a novel anti-depressant which does not work in the same manner as SSRI's and SNRI's, it targets areas of the brain to do with sleep. I have noticed that if I get good quality sleep, I function a lot better. But as it is a novel drug that doesn't get prescribed very much, they are very reluctant to prescribe it to me. Which is a bit of a catch 22 situation really.
End of power level.

dreamworks face

Model bugman
kiwifarms.net
Anti-depressants will improve mental state in general rather than just zonking you out. - however, in people with mood disorders, this can be a bad thing, as prozac etc. in the hands of a manic-depressive can fuel manic episodes. Anti-anxiolitics cover a wide range of drugs too (like xanex).

Depression is caused by different things in different people, and the medication isn't one size fits all. For instance, I can't tolerate SSRI-type drugs - if I take prozac/zoloft/etc, I will have manic episodes unless I have some kind of mood stabilizer. Wellbutrin operates on the dopamine system and worked much for me - I could take that without a mood stabilizer if I felt really depressed.

I found that the whole deal with anti-depressant + anti-psychotic + anti-anxiolitic deal doesn't really work well for me - I've previously had to take up to four different drugs just to manage my mood, and I definitely remember that zombie feeling. Nowadays, I take a small dose of adderall for the adhd type symptoms and I use a small dose of seroquel off-label so I can sleep. My working guess is that something is a little messed up about how my brain processes dopamine.

I hate anti-psychotics - I hate having my hands shake for no reason, and I hate the haze that goes over my thinking when I take them, and I hate the weight gain that they cause. I feel like their use should be short-term, and that it's possible for an experienced crazy person to know that an episode is coming on and to start taking the anti-psychotics to cool it down, but I imagine doctors aren't going to give you that level of trust and just make you take the drugs every day.

My personal opinion is that sometimes the drugs are necessary, but you should work on trying to get the minimum that works for you. I think the whole take an anti depressant and an anti anxiety and an anti psychotic to cover up the side effects of those two drugs is a bad idea but seems to be a standard practice when dealing with mood disorders, but that regimen can really suck.

That said, don't be that dude that just goes off the meds - talk to your doctors. When I've wanted to change dosages or express feelings about medication or whatever, my psychologists have always been willing to work with me.

RetardedCat

kiwifarms.net
it's possible for an experienced crazy person to know that an episode is coming on and to start taking the anti-psychotics to cool it down, but I imagine doctors aren't going to give you that level of trust and just make you take the drugs every day.
My personal opinion is that sometimes the drugs are necessary, but you should work on trying to get the minimum that works for you.
I'm honestly on the very minimum that works for me (lowest doses I can take without it not working at all), I've attempted to stop a couple times thinking I could handle guessing when the episodes were coming but proved myself wrong almost immediately each time. I wouldn't trust me with taking that stuff without a fixed schedule.
It took a few tries before I got put on the current combo that works, it was especially bad early on when trying to figure out what didn't cause side effects that were too brutal. I guess apathy isn't too brutal compared to feeling like I'm tired all day.

• Feels
Reactions: Chichan

Clop

kiwifarms.net
If you don't wanna be apathetic, stop taking it.

It's going to be one of the worst fucking fights to deal without them, but it's either apathy or the hard way. If your hard way's just you moping around and feeling miserable, it might not be too bad to find something else to feel better about, but some people are legit fucking floored without their pills. The hard way's usually the reason you started taking that stuff in the first place so I wouldn't recommend it. I also wouldn't recommend asking for advice on Kiwi Farms.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino