Why do so many people these days tie their sense of self-worth to fictional media? - The phenomenon of consooming man children

Kiwifarmsname

I cant game
kiwifarms.net
Well shit what else is there to feel worthy of. Most adults revert to be like children or teens because stuff like childrape and murder being real is to much for them to handle. So what more is there to feel pride about then the deep philosophical questions brought up by your stupid larp.
> implying 80% to 100% of the site doesn't consume media
>"liking things makes you soy"
>"real people don't like anything"

Fucking doomers.

Also Breaking Bad is shit. Neck yourself.
its more how people are PROUD of watching another persons achievement. If you're really good at csgo or something you have the right to be proud, if you made something you have the right to be proud. Someone throwing a ball that you picked the number of isnt an achievement.

Reactions: I Love Beef

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
From an artistic perspective, I blame both public education, a dearth in artistic interest by civil functions, and complete indifference and even far removed out of touch disdain shown by modern day "high art" figures for this. I put "high art" in quotations because you can't believe that shit that some closet assholes and faggots who smell their own farts and don't share with the public direct the world on trends and such anymore, unless they were like Jeffery Epstein.

All of this I blame for failing to prompt people to care about art, be it from the past or in the long run, because the perspectives are made to be extreme. Art is not focused on nowadays in how it inspires, how it is used to communicate ideas, aesthetics, stories, etc., and how it can also build self motivation. You have oldfag diehard asshole hipster boomers who are angry that the world isn't jerking them off for being such a fan of Mozart or Van Gogh or Liberache, are stiffer than a fossilized constipated piece of shit who are stalwarts for "tradition", to hipster faggots hosting their own art shows and exclusively reserving them for "exclusive guests" (ie drug addict acquaintances), to how guilty of being consuumers are much of the public by being swayed by political bullshit, left and right, and to how everyone is made to be more hard work and "rational" minded for the workforce machine.

All of this boils down to a complete lack of use of creative parts of the mind and internal development over "keeping it real" and "being rational" (ie putting your zeal into the material than the spiritual, which is just as bad). Hypothetically, the restraint and starvation of artistic expression is why it slingshots back into a fanatical expression of realistic attainment than to showcase abstract inspirations and ideas. You don't think this happened before? Hitler's Ghost Command and Madame Blavatsky based their beliefs of Hyperborean superhuman ubermench predecessors and vital energy theories on a fictional book series called Vril: The Power of the Coming Race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Yes, some of the first fucking otherkin and soulbonders lolcows in the world were fucking Nazis by its repressed artist dictator leader. Go fucking figure.

An edit for further elaboration: This is why art, be it from the past, present, or the future, of all forms, is not appreciated just for what it is and what comprises it by these people. There's always some faggot egotripping going on with these people who tie themselves with popular media. There's no interest in what inspirations what the creators had to create a series. There's no want to share common ground of the mass thematic world of art mankind has built up throughout its existence. There's no study going on of why it is so popular and compelling to warrant its massive appeal. I've been on Wikia- All of its most asstight and regulated places aren't run out of standard; it's run out of a want to look like "good consuumers fans".

Now, where's my fucking puzzle pieces?

Last edited:

Gangster Talk

kiwifarms.net
Tbh, I don't think it's any less pathetic and gay to tie your entire identity to fanaticism for a sports team.

Here's something though
Roger Ebert said:
A lot of fans are basically fans of fandom itself. It's all about them. They have mastered the "Star Wars" or "Star Trek" universes or whatever, but their objects of veneration are useful mainly as a backdrop to their own devotion. Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies.

Extreme fandom may serve as a security blanket for the socially inept, who use its extreme structure as a substitute for social skills. If you are Luke Skywalker and she is Princess Leia, you already know what to say to each other, which is so much safer than having to ad-lib it. Your fannish obsession is your beard. If you know absolutely all the trivia about your cubbyhole of pop culture, it saves you from having to know anything about anything else. That's why it's excruciatingly boring to talk to such people: They're always asking you questions they know the answer to.

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you are Luke Skywalker and she is Princess Leia, you already know what to say to each other, which is so much safer than having to ad-lib it.
Probably should have gone with Han Solo and Leia, unless he meant 'I know we deep throated each other, but it turns out we're siblings!'

🤮

Medical Hawaii

Whatever it is, I'm against it!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With the advent of the Internet and, more recently, the diversification of online socialization platforms that offer someone the ability to personalize their own profile, people are now able to construct a new identity for the entire world to see. They choose what to show, how to present themselves, who to "follow" and who to let follow them back, etc. Their online persona becomes a sort of escape, should they see it that way, and at the very least, it becomes an extension of themselves, even if they do not afford it great import. It's another source of validation from the largest group of people possible (the entire Web).
The more invested in this identity they become, i.e. the more they build it up, the greater its link to their sense of self; as such, just like any other situation in which a person feels challenged or threatened, they will become understandably distressed.
They may start to wonder why their pictures don't get as many likes as they once did, or worry when they don't have as many "followers" as their peers (both IRL and online).

most social media is cancer

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
It's simply a replacement for the community that is either non-existant in many places or that those people actively avoid.
So those people use pop culture as their community identity, and when that community goes to shit they either break down or immediately flock to the next community.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
With the advent of the Internet and, more recently, the diversification of online socialization platforms that offer someone the ability to personalize their own profile, people are now able to construct a new identity for the entire world to see. They choose what to show, how to present themselves, who to "follow" and who to let follow them back, etc. Their online persona becomes a sort of escape, should they see it that way, and at the very least, it becomes an extension of themselves, even if they do not afford it great import. It's another source of validation from the largest group of people possible (the entire Web).
The more invested in this identity they become, i.e. the more they build it up, the greater its link to their sense of self; as such, just like any other situation in which a person feels challenged or threatened, they will become understandably distressed.
They may start to wonder why their pictures don't get as many likes as they once did, or worry when they don't have as many "followers" as their peers (both IRL and online).

most social media is cancer
And as already pointed out in earlier posts, such a concept is extremely tantalizing for the losers of society. Those who don't have any real notable strengths, talents, or otherwise interesting personality traits in reality can suddenly find themselves some level of fame on the internet due to both the sheer odds of finding others who'd be impressed by mediocrity and the ability to grossly exaggerate (if not outright lie about) who they are as a person.

Basement dwelling Jimmy who hasn't seen sunlight in months and has the intelligence of an earthworm can suddenly find himself as a well-respected paragon of knowledge due to his autistic memory of (insert pop-culture icon here).

Ugly fatass Betty who was never popular in school finds herself surrounded online due to either be able to transform her appearance into something more attractive for zero effort or (increasingly so nowadays) actually find others who will force themselves to like and defend her because "Everyone is beautiful" or whatever.

Medical Hawaii

Whatever it is, I'm against it!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And as already pointed out in earlier posts, such a concept is extremely tantalizing for the losers of society. Those who don't have any real notable strengths, talents, or otherwise interesting personality traits in reality can suddenly find themselves some level of fame on the internet due to both the sheer odds of finding others who'd be impressed by mediocrity and the ability to grossly exaggerate (if not outright lie about) who they are as a person.

Basement dwelling Jimmy who hasn't seen sunlight in months and has the intelligence of an earthworm can suddenly find himself as a well-respected paragon of knowledge due to his autistic memory of (insert pop-culture icon here).

Ugly fatass Betty who was never popular in school finds herself surrounded online due to either be able to transform her appearance into something more attractive for zero effort or (increasingly so nowadays) actually find others who will force themselves to like and defend her because "Everyone is beautiful" or whatever.
Yes, exactly! People can LARP as their ideal self, no matter how far from reality that may actually be.

Sweet and Savoury

Null-like homunculus
kiwifarms.net
Whenever I think about the Millennials TS Elliot alway comes into my mind

We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us-if at all-not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men

They are hollow. No purpose, no drive, no direction. Empty of morality except for what is convenient and popular.

I feel for them, having lived a life so protected then pushed out into the harsh reality of life unprepared as a newborn.

I don't place them blame on them but their parents instead, who wanted them to have the super childhood they never had by not realizing that said childhood was just a product of their own fantasy. Childhood is not about a carefree hedonistic experience but rather a learning one to understand the world and your place in in.

Yes you will get hurt, that's life. You will fail and get crushed, that's life. You will have to learn to fall and get up again and again and again.

This is the experience that all those boomer parents did their best to avoid do there offspring had a stunted and grossly unrealistic childhood full of no responsibility, no cares and no effort.

And now we are all paying the price as these immature individuals are trying now to shape the world so that they can go back to a childhood that should not have existed so that they can continue to live a bland, challengeless life full of bright colors and banality.

Life is the road taken, the challenges overcome on the path you choose. A life without failure is a life not lived well.

Tachibana

kiwifarms.net
I don't know man, sourcing Paul Joseph Watson and some guy who bases his opinion from people who really seems to like Sargon of Akkad and the skeptics.

What is it with skeptics and the overt attachment to "history" and SJWs not touching it? My local universities deny professors from talking about history because it might offend students. I believe understanding where we come from and the situations our ancestors were put in is important, but to base your self-worth and trying to identify with history figures is autistic.

A large part of that history was written in paradigms with their own political and moral strife. Napoleon comes from a time when "degeneracy theory" was a thing. The British, Germans, and French believed that Africans were retarded due to the climate. British ambassadors would "cleanse" themselves in saunas/special baths to wash the "degeneracy" off them in order to avoid devolving into Africans.

As for media, not everything a brand does is bad. Harley Owners Group chapters come to mind. They foster a community between bikers, and there is a strong sense of loyalty to the Harley-Davidson brand. However, Harley doesn't own these people's lifestyles. Nerd culture is weird though.

It's one thing to go towards a product to enable your lifestyle, it's another one entirely to base your identity/lifestyle around the product. I think this is especially nasty in your formative years. I have seen plenty people in their late teens and early twenties get enamored by some Tumblr thing, like Homestuck or superwholock whatever shit. They never quite recover from it and their world view is entirely based around these franchises' characters. It's a strange form of parasocial relationship with fictional characters. I think some people just have very poor self-concept. I don't think it's much different from people obsessively watching streamers and virtual youtubers.

Besides, what the fuck are these character building "hobbies" I see brought up in these conversations all the time? Hobbies come up in these conversations as a silver bullet of sorts. I used to do a lot of hiking and rock climbing, and I've met some of the most vapid fucks like women "looking for adventure" as an aside from "watching netflix" and "traveling", and men who are just regular dudebros who play xbox.

Tags
None