Why do we give objects names? - Are we just that lonely?

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

UptownRuckus

My Kiwishirt came! I feel retarted
kiwifarms.net
So I recently finished a purchase for a Glock 19 and I was told by all my co workers that it needs a good name.

It made me beg the question "Why do we as humans name objects?"

There must be a reason, or a plethora of mixed reasons. I noticed that mostly men name objects female names, and that females typically don't care.

Is it male insecurities? Loneliness? Or does everything we own have to become a Waifu?

gachacunt

BOO, ASSHOLE.
kiwifarms.net
Everybody can call a ship a ship, but calling it a name represents your love and appreciation of it. It's like family heirlooms and family keepsakes — what seems like your typical object possesses a story unique to your family, or it has a special meaning that makes it stand out.

My mother refers to her car as ' she ' and ' her ' because it was the one thing that she could own that is, in some way, related to her mother. It's just another way to appreciate what you have, I guess?

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
d06c8e3cea1e53cc01f52fec2102e69e.png

Because this would be confusing as shit.

Draza

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because it gives objects a sense of meaning,importance, and history behind it. Ex. A-10 Thunderbolt was nickname the "Warthog" because of the sounds it gives after every devasting air run and airstrike.

Maiden-TieJuan

Your roving Californialand reporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because it amuses us and places ownership on it. Think about it, when you get an animal, you have to name it as part of taking ownership of it. When you give birth to a child, you name it as part of the "I made a thing" process. Naming a thing shows that you own it and that you take pride in the ownership of said object.

I have a cat named Taco. See? Ownership in the useage of "Have". Same with a boat or car. "I named the car Shibby". Again, "I named" showing ownership.

Or, I can just be talking out of my ass. I named my ass Bethany. (Ownership again)

UptownRuckus

My Kiwishirt came! I feel retarted
kiwifarms.net
Because it amuses us and places ownership on it. Think about it, when you get an animal, you have to name it as part of taking ownership of it. When you give birth to a child, you name it as part of the "I made a thing" process. Naming a thing shows that you own it and that you take pride in the ownership of said object.

I have a cat named Taco. See? Ownership in the useage of "Have". Same with a boat or car. "I named the car Shibby". Again, "I named" showing ownership.

Or, I can just be talking out of my ass. I named my ass Bethany. (Ownership again)

Question. Did you name your cat when you were hungry?

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Dogs actually care what you call them, though. They even take offense if you don't name them properly. Cats don't give a flying fuck what you call them. All they care about is what you feed them.

Maiden-TieJuan

Your roving Californialand reporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dogs actually care what you call them, though. They even take offense if you don't name them properly. Cats don't give a flying fuck what you call them. All they care about is what you feed them.
Which is why when people introduce their dogs they say stuff like "This is Beau, and he is a German Shepard Collie mix." And people with cats go "this is Taco the cat. She is an asshole."

Bad Times

kiwifarms.net
It gives sentimentality and something to remember in this cold world. We name women even though they are objects for this very reason!

Bord

kiwifarms.net
Having stuff of value feels good. Naming stuff makes them more personal and valuable, that's why some people do it.

Scharführer Cat

ℌ𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔞𝔤𝔦𝔠. 𝔇𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲?
kiwifarms.net
Because it gives objects a sense of meaning,importance, and history behind it. Ex. A-10 Thunderbolt was nickname the "Warthog" because of the sounds it gives after every devasting air run and airstrike.

A fart of bullets = dead people before they figure out what was happening.