Why Do We Treasure Memories?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.
L

LM 697

kiwifarms.net
They're always yours.

No matter what happens in life, good or bad, you can always look back on a good memory and be glad that at least it happened. However distant or short it was, it existed - and with your memories, it still does exist.

KatsuKitty

Stone-Cold Bitch
kiwifarms.net
Memories are tougher to shake off in the age of film, tape, and digital media. Thanks to these wonderful inventions, we get to see firsthand, all the way back to the 40s or so, just what life was like in motion and colour in any given decade. If it makes you feel better, yours and my memories will endure much longer.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because everything is shit and you want to go back to a time when everything wasn't shit, even if it was only for a few moments.
That's been my attitude lately. Why ever since I got a digital camera I bothered to constantly take photos on a daily basis. I find this is therapeutic so I have a recorded memory I could share someone if the bother asking. So while the places I've been to are gone, they'll still be alive in my head and as jpg's.

I think Chris is a good example because he thinks his highschool years were great but he probably wouldn't enjoy reliving it since back then he didn't worry about finding love or even consider that Sonichu wouldn't be a huge success.
Lord knows my high school life sucked looking back on the times I often got excluded out of things or people simply didn't see me for who I am (they now admit how wrong they were as they notice my face around town).

Pikonic

Pre Merge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They're treasured because they are the last remaining remnant of something that can never happen again.
I do agree with you, but I also see the more "practical" use of holding onto good memories.
It's what keeps couples from breaking up over a petty argument. We remember what makes us like the relationship beyond an argument that is meaningless.
It's what compels us to take care of our parents when they become a burden. We remember what they've done for us, so we do the same for them.
It gets us to get on a plane and fly to another part of the world to see our families, it's why you get a new dog when yours passes on, it's what drives us to meet up with old friends, it's why we honor the dead.

Good memories are the driving point to make more good memories.

autisticdragonkin

Eric Borsheim
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would say that "treasuring" memories likely has its origin in an irrational attempt to relive the experience. Since "reliving" a past experience does not reap the benefits of a new one it is thus irrational to "treasure" a memory

The Knife's Husbando

Combat pragmatist
kiwifarms.net
The good memories help you through the bad times. The bad memories help you truly appreciate the good times.

Also, If we didn't have memories, how would we keep up with our keys?

Mark Corrigan

Jeremy's autistic friend
kiwifarms.net
I don't treasure memories. Guess it's a personal thing because I've never been happier in my life than I am now.

Cave

Eyes Without A Face
kiwifarms.net
It's often to help us if we're upset. If you're ever away from someone you care about, it's always nice to remember why you love them.

Asandy31

Even Stingers Can Be Feminine
kiwifarms.net
because we're mammals, they're a delusion that keeps us alive and grounded in reality, most prominent memories we have usually revolve around bonding or trying to bond, that's very much a mammalian trait.