Why do you like anime? - And why is it popular

Niggernerd

Idolm@ster has all my big tiddy waifus
kiwifarms.net
got into it while i was young and during the late 90s and 00s, a lot of good shit came out. also thanks too the internet, it got alot easier too get a hold on so you didint have to watch tv with terrible dub, having too wait for new seasons too come out or pay 10-15 dollars for a dvd with only 2 or 3 episodes on it. now days i have trouble watching anime more and more since i find most of it to be boring or sub-par to the shows that i watched in the past.
My older cousin was rambling on about the new AoT but all I could think about was the Guyver the bioboosted armor op
Good shit back then.

Reactions: Mazinkaiser

Gravityqueen4life

may or may not collect her garbage
kiwifarms.net
My older cousin was rambling on about the new AoT but all I could think about was the Guyver the bioboosted armor op
Good shit back then.
tried reading AOT but i lost interest very quickly. seems to be held as the second coming off animation by the normalfags. the same people who watches my hero academia that looks like naruto: the zoomer edition to me.

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I remember when I was a kid that I loved to draw but hated the cartoons at the time (would draw comics based on the video games I played). Nicklelodian's foundation was pretty much ugly as fuck cartoons that felt beneath me (Rugrats) or was just gross for the sake of being gross (Ren and Stimpy). All I remember from early Cartoon Network was Hannah-Barbara cartoons until it's original content rolled out and I'd fucking hang myself if I had to sit through another Disney sing along. What little adult animation we had was edgelord central (did like Aeon Flux).

So when Toonami first appeared around when I was 10 and it had Robotech, that shit blew me away. A cartoon with an engrossing story that takes itself seriously, characters with personalities and problems that carry over each episode, cinematograpy like that found in live action movies and beautiful art that looks like the stuff I enjoyed drawing? Sign me up.

The closest western animated show I experienced at that point was maybe Beast Wars or later seasons of ReBoot but even then those were ugly CGI shows. I'm sure I saw Voltron or G-Force before that, and Pokemon and Sailor Moon was a thing (at hours I couldn't watch) but I never got too into those.

Once the late 90's/early 00's rolled around and our cable service would air things like the Golgo 13 movies, Hellsing, Bubblegum Crsis, Area 88 and Wicked City I've been pretty much a fan since.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
kiwifarms.net
For me, I love anime for several reasons.

One reason is nostalgia.

As a kid, I loved watching the kiddie anime dubs that were on American TV back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Stuff like Digimon, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Monster Rancher, etc.

As I got older and I was entering adolescence, I started getting into "mature" titles like the stuff that was popular on Adult Swim like Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, FMA 2003, Stand Alone Complex, and Trigun.

I also got into the older VHS-era anime from the 1980's and 1990's (my uncle was a fan of those back when he was a teenager) and I'm talking the violent edgy stuff like Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, AKIRA, and Legend of the Overfiend.

As a teenager, I also got really big into edgy seinen titles like Black Lagoon, Elfen Lied, and Hellsing.

The second reason I like anime is due to the fact that it's honest entertainment with a wide variety of genres and styles, which is a refreshing relief in the 2010's.

Even the blatant creepy fanservice shows are more enjoyable than a lot of the typically bland fare of 2010's American TV. At least the creepy fanservice anime are honest about what they are and you can enjoy them in a "turn your brain off" sort of way.

American animation is mostly dominated by ugly "CalArts" style designs and is either kiddie stuff or preachy pandering dangerhair bait like Steven Universe. There are a few exceptions in the 2010's such as Voltron: Legendary Defender, although that has an infamously insane fandom.

As for "adult animation" in the West? It's all raunchy crude humor sitcoms or raunchy crude humor Adult Swim shorts.

The problem is that The Simpsons was the first cartoon meant for older audiences that actually caught on in America, and most of the animated shows that followed in its wake were usually greenlit to "outdo" The Simpsons, with Family Guy being the most egregious example.

The one major example of American adult animation that is an exception to the rule would be King of the Hill, which ended in 2010. King of the Hill is a sitcom, but it's less of a raunchy goofball comedy and more like the closest American equivalent of a "Slice of Life" anime comedy. In fact, King of the Hill is very popular in Japan for precisely that reason.

(No joke, there is actually a "Subbed vs. Dubbed" debate in the Japanese King of the Hill fanbase)

Niggernerd

Idolm@ster has all my big tiddy waifus
kiwifarms.net
same people who watches my hero academia that looks like naruto: the zoomer edition to me.
The only good thing about MHA are tsuyu lewds.
I couldn't get into AoT because of how normie as fuck it was. The edgy factor isn't shocking just redundant. If it wanted to blow me away with edginess it should of taken notes from Violence Jack.
3rd ova (2nd? Idr) is literally hot girls need to escape underground from roving rapists/murderers and most get raped and murdered before escaping.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because Jojo is amazing:

In all seriousness, I was out of anime for a very long time. I used to watch it in the 1990s, but anime was way different back then. You basically didn't have series as such coming to the states, but movies. When the Sci-Fi channel was still Sci-Fi, it had all this great fucking anime on it. Project A-Ko, Lodoss War, Macross, all classic shit. Around college I got into it because of Hellsing, but I was more used to US schedules for TV, so I fell out of it. Anime, until relatively recently, was usually relegated to one or two series. This is because of the massive costs involved and sometimes you wouldn't get another series until YEARS after the first, because of how ridiculously expensive it was. This still happens today, the gap between AoT seasons was so excessive that many forgot it even existed. That's probably my biggest gripe with anime, is that it is so costly that sometimes good anime won't get another season or just stop mid-arc. Or it takes a VERY long time to get another series.

But its getting better. So I got more into it. The thing for me is multi-faceted: The way that anime tells stories is different than Western shows. The unique cultural aspect and its pure Japanese-ness is so different its attractive. A lot of times, the art is fucking beautiful. You can't even compare it to Western cartoons. That's because the West has not evolved.

Check out the Real Ghostbusters (1980s, 1990s):

GhostbustersvsBoogiemaninTheBoogiemanComethepisodeCollage.png

real-ghostbusters-season-1-3-mrs-rogers-neighborhood-peter-venkman-possessed-by-what-review-ep...jpg

Now:

Steven_Universe-all_characters.jpg

51b65954-898c-4732-ad53-2d4626a4ab37.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Art has gone backwards from the 1980s and 1990s in the West. Even the cheapest shows have better art than the shows now. Also the 'Real Ghostbusters' for kids, had scary and terrifying stories and each character was good and unique on their own. Shit was good. But animation in the West has largely been relegated to dogshit. Everything is either badly drawn comedy or badly drawn for little children. The exceptions are Avatar and The Boondocks. But that's about it. And even the Boondocks is comedy. There's nothing really 'serious'. Maybe Avatar. Even that was more aimed at children. And then, its still fucking UGLY. Its not appealing to look at.

But there's really nothing that can compare to it. Especially since the art style in the West has rapidly been degenerating. When in anime there's tons of different ways to do art. Some is simplistic to a point, then gets complex. Good anime can tell its stories through its own artistry and visuals. Even anime with simple drawing style can get complex when it wants to do unique emotions or story-telling. The reverse is also true, well-drawn animation can go simplistic. There's also the music too.

There's also cases where you're basically looking at your own culture through the lens of another. Like in anime that is set in the US you get the unique perspective of how someone from Japan views the United States. Or even your own culture. I'm a spaghetti nigger, and this season of JoJo was set in Italy. So it was fun for me to see how the Japanese interpret Italian culture.

Another thing others have mentioned is that anime is generally free from the restrictions of the West in terms of creators. They don't have to worry about including this, or that. Or offending anyone. They tell the story they want to. And a lot of it can be fucking strange, weird, abstract. And that's fascinating. Its also the reason why Manga is raping American comics in its asshole. Its because Manga has no creator restrictions. It does what it wants and that's appealing. You don't really get a sense of a political message or being lectured to, if it even has one. Its trying to entertain you. The characters are also all typically visually appealing. Sure, there's fan service, but who gives a fuck? Is that really terrible? I think its better than nowadays where they're trying to pass off ugly, fat dumpy women as 'beautiful' and covering every beautiful woman in the equivalent of a burka. I mean, I don't watch a lot of fan service anime, so maybe that's it.

I mean, there's all sorts of dumb shit too, but there's dumb shit in every form of entertainment. But in anime and manga, you can get stories that Western creators are too fucking terrified to tell. And I'm generally getting tired of cowardly entertainment. Its why people have left American comics behind. They're not daring. They're not compelling. They're dumb, boring dogshit. With manga, there's so much out there and its so simple to follow. I also don't have to be afraid of being lectured to, or being dressed down for liking something or faced with SJW power fantasies that no one else has. My patience has ended and I no longer buy entertainment that tries to lecture me, has diversity in it for no reason or insults its audience in any fashion. I'm done. If someone wants my dollar, don't fucking talk down to me. Don't try to teach me anything. I don't need your faggot lessons. I work hard enough, intellectually and work wise. I want to be entertained, told compelling and thrilling stories and see beautiful art, animation, people, etc. I'm tired of being told those are 'bad' things to want. Anime provides them. The West no longer does.

Basically, Western pop-culture has a dulled edge that's made it way too safe and a lot of time lectures to, dismisses and insults its audience. Even when it tries, you can still feel the hesitation and need to compromise because of inter-sectional culture and the fear of Twitter. The East is more daring, stranger and more appreciative of its audience and doesn't care what Baizuo Western faggots think and isn't afraid to tell them to go fuck themselves. That's really what it comes down to, and why I've gotten back into anime.

Last edited:

dreamworks face

Model bugman
kiwifarms.net
Art has gone backwards from the 1980s and 1990s in the West. Even the cheapest shows have better art than the shows now. Also the 'Real Ghostbusters' for kids, had scary and terrifying stories and each character was good and unique on their own. Shit was good. But animation in the West has largely been relegated to dogshit. Everything is either badly drawn comedy or badly drawn for little children. The exceptions are Avatar and The Boondocks. But that's about it. And even the Boondocks is comedy. There's nothing really 'serious'. Maybe Avatar. Even that was more aimed at children. And then, its still fucking UGLY. Its not appealing to look at.
umb, boring dogshit. With manga, there's so much out there and its so simple to follow. I also don't have to be afraid of being lectured to, or being dressed down for liking something or faced with SJW power fantasies that no one else has. My patience is limited.
Dragon Ball Super isn't drawn half as well as any random episode in Dragon Ball Z, and you have new shows like Baki that have the audacity to do their fucking fight scenes in incredibly terrible CG. Granted, One Punch Man and Mob Psycho have fucking amazing animation, but I'd argue the average show has gotten worse since the late nineties.

I Love Beef

お前はもう。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
Some autism from me, but I like anime because despite it being from Japan.... Well, as everyone said before, there's freedom to it. And for me, it comes also from a place of patriotism, as strange as that sounds. Obvious Murica man here, obviously.

Like, the FCC and the Morality in Media faggots were already targeting Beavis and Butthead and anything that didn't fit the description of Apocalypse Readying Conversion Therapy in Cartoon form at the time, and despite the DC Animated Universe, the Comics Book Crash of '96 already marked some sort of creative dearth that has evidently shown its damage into the future. I'm only one man, by the way, and if you want cringe as fuck embarrassment to national identity, I sure wouldn't want to be around either of them, except Beavis and Butthead. So when anime came in and filled in the cracks and got a fandom with everything that American animation was deprived of at the time, you obviously have a champion. A real industry provides not just for kids but adults and the growing, not just the mainstream but the alternative and underground, and not just the multimillion franchises but the budding and independent. It's a real inspiration to look up to, and that energy is still there, even if for most they have to research it and dig it out of the ground. Plenty of people though know it deep down, as I can tell.

But now for the fun part.

Who is "you"? Anybody on this site? Surely not, because I hate and despise anime, but I love American animation, though some Eurofag stuff is okay too. My favourite franchise is the Disney Duck universe.

Anime is just exceptional and anime profile pics are for politispergs.

To me, that is really creepy, because most animefags are adult men while those characters to whom they fap off are often underage school girls.
In b4 i fire this up like it's a flame war in the early 2000s

Because everytime I've encountered someone like Webby's Boyfriend, they're usually some attention starved contrarian who wants to fag up shit for attention. We get it, you don't like anime, have your gold snowflake and fuck off. Stand next to the ponyfuckers and furries, please. Don't even get me started on how Disney now shits on its founder's grave. Have fun explaining to me about Uncanny Valley: The Movie, AKA "Live Action Lion King", and tell me how that will go over post opening week. I have a lot of ammo, and you just got me started. Stand up or sit back down. I got all night.

>Deepthoughts

This should be in Multimedia section well, sure whatever. But I guess since it's anime it just gets a pass. Hooray for weeb hugbox.

I hate the vast majority of anime. I hate the annoying over-sexualized tropes. I hate the high school tropes. I hate cutesy animes. I hate fan service. What I like are a few select shows that fall into the anime category, and it is usually despite it being an anime, certainly not because of it like a lot weeb faggots.

Things like Dragon Ball and One Piece are great. Dragon Ball has a lot of interesting concepts, but they are (somewhat unfortunately) not delved too far into, but the badass action and the general satisfying nature of watching Goku whoop the breaks off people never fails to entertain. I can't speak too hard for One Piece because I'm not super far into it (They are on a prehistoric island and there are two giants fighting currently, not sure of arc names), but it has a similar feel, while also offering a VERY unique cast of characters, power, and scenery.

I even like SOME of the more wholesome cutesy stuff. I like My Neighbor Totoro for instance, but it's really hard to compare Miyazaki to what anime is today.

Anyone who says that they just like "anime" is a faggot. You wouldn't go around telling everyone you just love "cartoons". You would have specific shows that you enjoy. Though, I guess since the majority of the shit the chinks in Japan shell out is more-or-less the same thing shoved out over and over again, I suppose it isn't TOO inaccurate
Wow Sean O'Mara, obvious post is obvious. Was "Japtoon" too ineffective for you? Are you that much of a pussy to restore Colony Drop? I mean you guys obviously did post on 4chan.

Just exercising my rights. You want to strike back, feel free.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Different story structure than what we usually have in the US, different types of characters culturally, and most important, less faggotry...unless its Jojos Faggot fest.
The most fucking hilarious thing to me is that Araki was giving an interview where the interviewer asked him if he was ashamed that JoJo had become an icon for the gay community and he said yes and he says that he doesn't intend for JoJo to be gay in any way.

Untitled.png

Jojo is so masculine it makes you do a complete 180. Gay pose? Yes. But...going to blow some fucker's head off? Yes. But the guy is also wearing hearts. Also yes. And that's how Jojo is so masculine it makes you homosexual and its fucking beautiful.

How kadoink feels whenever me, Secret Asshole, and BILLY MAYS discuss jojo
And this how we feel:

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
Jojo is so masculine it makes you do a complete 180. Gay pose? Yes. But...going to blow some fucker's head off? Yes. But the guy is also wearing hearts. Also yes. And that's how Jojo is so masculine it makes you homosexual and its fucking beautiful.
Proof that all anime fans want to get pounded in the ass.

• Informative
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
The most fucking hilarious thing to me is that Araki was giving an interview where the interviewer asked him if he was ashamed that JoJo had become an icon for the gay community and he said yes and he says that he doesn't intend for JoJo to be gay in any way.
Apparently that was a hoax, he’s never actually addressed whether or not Jojo is gay.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apparently that was a hoax, he’s never actually addressed whether or not Jojo is gay
Ah, I didn't realize that. I just found that hilarious considering how JoJo is. I honestly don't give a shit either way.

Proof that all anime fans want to get pounded in the ass.
If you don't like Jojo, you're a faggot. And if you like Jojo, you're a faggot too apparently. So there's no escaping homosexuality for you son. (This argument is foolproof and has no holes whatsoever. HAH)

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm completely apathetic about jojo which makes me an asexual or something so HAH
FUUUUUUUU

Correction: he did address it in a different interview, but it was more him being confused by the thought of gay pucci rather than outright dismissive
View attachment 844982View attachment 844983View attachment 844984View attachment 844985View attachment 844986View attachment 844987View attachment 844988
Ah, gotcha. I mean, most people joke about it because of his relationship with Dio, but I don't really think it was. Pucci was more driven to 'create heaven', so relationships other than that goal-driven thought would probably be irrelevant to him.

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
Modern anime is trash. I love manga mostly because it enjoys more artistic freedom and has a more raw approach to traditional anime cliches and storytelling. (See: One Piece anime vs the manga.)

But the culture of anime today is what turns me off from it all the most. It's so vapid and fucking tiring. When I got told by some normie-fag that HeroAca was an example of a good Shonen series because the main character hurts themselves to "get powered up", I asked them if they had read Claymore or Trigun to which their response was "Uhhh what's that?" I'm not impressed by modern shows, especially because the subversive shit people are constantly praising in them have existed for ages and it's annoying to constantly be told to be impressed by shit that's so ordinary.

Obviously I display my love for Panty and Stocking in my profile pic, but that's because it's basically everything I care about in manga and anime on display: "Fuck it, here's some wild and insane idea that you'll never see from the West or anyone else." Shits why I also have a ton of respect for One Piece. Oda knows what the fuck he wants and fuck everyone who tells him what to do. The only thing that sucks is that he got one of the worst anime adaptations of all time to show for it.

• Feels
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Fek and Syaoran Li
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino