Why do you like anime? - And why is it popular

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net
I like anything from any genre, so long as the writing appeals to me.

Anime thinks outside the box most of the time and does things I can never dream of in anything else, is the biggest reason I was drawn to it.

Like with anything, there are good animes and bad ones, so I like to check out anything regardless of genre or what it's classified as.

Agent Abe Caprine

I have a feeling we're about to become very close.
kiwifarms.net
I love animation and comics in general. Anime and manga just has more variety in terms of topics and settings. Mostly stick with the older stuff. There's something about pre-2000's anime that draws me in. There's good modern stuff, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To fill a void in my life.

:|

Okay, no actually, I like anime because the character designs are just all over the place. Yeah, Western animation can be like that, too, but there's something about anime just going all-out with character designs and although there's a basic foundation of how anime looks, it's so diverse that unless you're paying close attention to the design, you can look at a line-up of characters and know their personalities, the style, if they're from the same series or not, you know how creative the designer can be. There's a certain allure to it that while you can trace it back to Disney and MGM's animation unit (Tom & Jerry, mostly), the Japanese understand the general appeal of beauty. And there's a noticeable evolution of style over decades, and I love it.

Plots are also so diversified that you can pick just one genre and you will be satisfied for a good long while checking off the listed shows. Imagination is off the charts because the sky's not even the limit, it's something sorely missed in the West because we're too scared to take risks. Japan's more willing to take risks, although after the bubble burst that's definitely been put in a harness, but they still manage to work around it. But nevertheless, you'll find yourself expanding on other genres you might've never thought you'd like because of how interconnected many of them have become over time. It's almost like an endless mine of twisting and converging tunnels where you'll find gems and duds of all kind, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure I haven't seen the metaphorical light of day for over a decade now even though I can still watch Western animation (especially when it comes to franchises), but it needs to catch my attention or have been a carryover from my childhood. Think the last original one that really caught me in its vice grip was Gravity Falls, now that I think about it.

Learning about another country's culture (or learning I have interest in learning another country's culture, so having to do personal research on my own time has been fun) is a big appeal, but ever since I was a kid, I latched on to anything that was animated at the time, and anime was just different to me before I even knew it was called anime. The eyes I think were what attracted me, they're so big and sparkly and beautiful and come in all shapes and colors and oh my God I love eyes. But that's too simple and silly an answer even though I would say that was my stepping stone.

Orion Balls

This is Candy Cane calling Rusty Nails...
kiwifarms.net
Because my dad liked Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi, and it was something we could do together.
E- Robot Carnival is still our jam.
Avatar and The Boondocks are the only so called anime shows that are worth watching. Other than those, i think the whole anime craze is gay and overrated.
So, the only anime worth watching are Western cartoons? Okay.

Reactions: Guts Gets Some

Bloitzhole

OH RUSTY ANCHOR
kiwifarms.net
Medium is irrelevant. Story matters. Character development matters. If "The Count of Monte Cristo" had first been told in that insane sci fi interpretation "Gankutsuou" rather than in the wonderful book by Dumas, it'd still be a great story. Some of the tropes are horrible, but if you can look past them, just like you might in any other medium (I've always hated how easily men fall for the femme fatale in Film Noir), you might find some great stories you could've missed otherwise. Here's a couple of examples

Naoki Urasawa's "Monster" is a masterpiece of crime fiction that could be (and Guillermo del Toro wanted to, for HBO) adapted into a TV show or book with no major trouble (in fact, aside from a briefly overemotional woman in the first episode, it lacks any typical anime-ish aspect in nearly 80 episodes. Also no filler aside from episode 13, which is largely just minor character development. Might be the reason why the writer/artist was taken serious enough to collaborate with the Louvre). At its core is a very interesting question about morality: If you alone were responsible for saving someone's life, are you also partially responsible for the consequences of their actions in the life they go on to lead?

"Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin" is the most bromantic story of 7 delinquents trying to make it through the horrors of a juvenile correction facility in the aftermath of World war II, where the guard is a sadist and the director/"doctor" a pedophile. It's like the anime version of the Prison Break TV show, except the characters are slightly more believable.

"Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni" is 50% slice of life weeb drivel that utterly drains the spirit with all of its horrible anime tropes, and then 50% hauntingly occult murder mystery that cleverly blends an unreliable narrator with paranoia a lá Rosemary's baby. Every episode is 15 minutes of "why am I watching this. What is this meaningless bullshit" followed by 6 minutes of "what the christ is happening and why are the first 15 minutes suddenly so meaningful". It goes from a couple of teens playing card games in a shitty school to someone being literally crucified or beaten to death with a baseball bat. Never found another show that can do that without seeming utterly incoherent.

Last edited:

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
I got into anime simply because it was easier to get my hands on when I was a broke kid. Comics weren't worth the price considering how small they were and all the popular cartoons were on cable.

Imo manga simply has more variety and innovation. I tend to read gimmicky and edutainment manga, which there is a lot. I like being able to read absolute trash when I want to, and how manga doesn't feel like its necessary to have a modern sense of morality shoved in so people feel safe. That, and anime animation is simply better.

Last edited:

5ever a crab

kiwifarms.net
It's my personal Michael Bay. But if I were to convince others that some of my bug-eyed uguu kawaiis are deep and thought-provoking, I'd use manga and not anime.
SaikyōDensetsuKurosawaVol1.jpg

Syaoran Li

Boomer Sympathizer and Self-Hating Late Millennial
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing I've wondered about for years is why anime-styled shows aren't widely accepted as proper anime if they're not specifically from Japan. Like, RWBY and The Boondocks.

The Boondocks is an ongoing story that peeks into the lives of a family in America, and the dealings with the people around them and America-centric views on racial conflict (pre-Clown World). So... it can't be classified as an anime entirely because it's made by an American? What? Then just call it Japanimation like it's 1998 again.

Speaking of which, I've always wondered if The Boondocks has a following in Japan. For all their shows and games that show off Japanese life, I'd like to think they'd be interested to see a show with a bit of American life.

I mentioned this earlier, but King of the Hill has a pretty decent sized following in Japan (cue the memes) precisely because it's more or less a slice-of-life comedy and it doesn't really have the otaku stigma either for obvious reasons, so it's got a cult following among both otaku and some normies too.

There was even an official dub of the show.

The Boondocks might not be as big of a thing in Japan since a lot of its humor is very American and is from the view of American racial politics and pop culture. Japanese racism towards blacks aside, there's a lot of the jokes that just don't make sense to the average non-American unless they've done the research.

It's sort of like how a lot of Americans don't get the satire in most Monty Python sketches since they were mainly satire of politics and current events in late 60's/early 70's Britain.

The more memorable Monty Python stuff in America tends to be the really goofball gonzo stuff (Dead Parrot, The Lumberjack Song, Self Defense Against Fruit, Spanish Inquisition) since it's not dependent on British pop culture and current events from nearly fifty years ago.

The Bovinian Derivative

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Generally unlike mainstream American comics manga, and their anime adaptions, do a single long form story, or interconnected arcs, and I prefer that over rebooting every so often but reusing 95% of the ideas and then still writing filler anyway. 90% of manga is still trash though, just as everything else, but Japs generally tend to come across more honest and upfront about their work and I admire that about them and they never try to preach to me unless I catch the occasional shonen somewhere where they tell me how to use the power of friendship to kill God.

• Agree
Reactions: I Love Beef

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
They take place in Japan where school clubs are (mandatory?) which lead to kids developing interesting hobbies and then wanting to pursue those. Here in the EU, we're just give a ball and told to fuck off for 50 minutes once a week. The only thing being older mattered in public school was which kids you could harass. In the three-year system of Japan, there's seniority and a level of responsibilities. If a dude starts season 1 as a first year, he'll respect the third years and eventually become one.

What the fuck do western TV shows offer? 8 people who make couples in different ways?

Spit bucket

Hey, would you like to join the way of Jashin?
kiwifarms.net
I have this weird relationship with animu where I'd play games based off the shows more than watching the shows themselves. I saw dragon ball once a few times as a kid then my dad bought me DBZ budokai 1 for ps2 and I played it to death and bought 2 and 3. Watched the 4kids dub of one piece and got the fist Grand battle and again played it to death, didn't watch the funi dub till 2016. I was autisticly obsessed with naruto as soon as it started airing in 2004 I played every ultimate ninja game, both uzumaki chronicals and all the storm games besides 4 because I hated it at that point. My profile pic is the only character I still like from the show. Since then I've seen a ton of shit. From Berserk to Bleach from Kill La Kill to Trigun and a bunch of other's. Nowadays I narrowed my taste down to a few.

tldr: I played games of animu shows then formed my own taste for it.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
I don't know that I do like anime.

It could be said that there are certainly anime that I enjoy and I have seen quite a lot of different genres and individual shows within the medium. However, I believe that the vast majority of anime is mindless garbage without any merit or quality. The fact that there are real people that not only enjoy HunterxHunter but actually believe it's an intelligent series with a gripping plot is enough to make me understand that the anime community is afloat in a sea of slobbering retards that will endlessly and autistically consume any media you set in front of them so long as you can craft a narrative that satiates their vapid and egocentric sensibilities.

• Agree
Reactions: Tree

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
Depends. I've basically stopped watching newer shows. The only stuff I've seen from the 2010's are SAO (enjoyable but flawed) and Cells at Work (fascinating and fun concept).

The 80's and 90's had tons of sci-fi and fantasy stuff that I enjoyed the hell out of. Record of Lodoss War is still to this day the most faithful European based traditional fantasy Japan has put out. Universal Century Gundam is a fantastic hard sci-fi setting. (Robots being military hardware is an inspired and likely accurate in the future concept.)

One of the major reasons anime caught my eye was because it was doing stories/concepts that modern US tv just wouldn't touch. (Especially in the early half of the 00's when everything was a procedural or reality show.) Letting a story have complex themes, violence, and sex/nudity when appropriate really went a long way to creating more thrilling and interesting stories that caught my attention and dollar.

I cooled off greatly to the medium once the digital switch over happened and the massive wave of slice of life and high school shows started. (FMA 2003 was the last show I really really enjoyed.) It honestly seems to me that the current industry is in the early phases of what happened to squaresoft and Japanese rpg's. Overly designed, scared to make any bold story choices, and lacking on actual compelling story. I dearly hope it doesn't head down the same disastrous road US comics did.

Also, all the harem shit just doesn't appeal to me. Especially now that I'm older and have been through real romance/relationships. Occasional fanservice is all well and good but I just never got that particular self insert fantasy. (And I have no idea why stuff like monster girls are so popular.)

make_it_so

Just watching all this shit
kiwifarms.net
Of the ones I do watch, I like for the same reason I'd like any other film or series - it has a story or characters that are appealing to me.

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Had

"fuck Had kick him" - PPP
kiwifarms.net
As far as anime goes it's pretty good whereas "western media" has been on a big decline as far as producing quality content
for example
Cartoon network 2020 vs
1602399251735.png

1602399304748.png

Anime is pretty good in of its own right but really western animation at least as far as anything coming out of a studio is horrible.
I want to hear interesting stories with interesting characters in interesting worlds with interesting plots.
western cartoons have given up on this, I don't know if there's a soul factor I can blame it on it just seems the entire industry has decided to throw itself down the shitter.

I know a lot of people who grew up watching anime and liked it for that reason.
But I mostly like it because they are making good stuff and it's a good way to meet people.

Tags
None