Why does everyone hate math instead of English? - >not science or math

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There was a college algebra course I took where the teacher just got visually exasperated and loudly sighed any time someone asked a question. He also didn't grade on a curve, and something like 80% of the entire class (including me) failed his course.

Later on, when I retook that same class at a different college, I had a much better teacher and cleared it with an A, because the teacher actually cared, and used practical examples to explain the material.

Just have math taught by people who aren't total fucking autists and we'd be alright.

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm way better at science, writing & grammar. Math is just terrible. It has very few practical applications unless you're an engineer ot accountant.

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
Math class was also one of the leading causes of anxiety and feelings of inadequacy I saw. I could forget about English class if I wanted to and then spring right back in whenever I wanted. This is not the case with math. I had a surgery that kept me out of school for over a month at one time, and when I went back to English class I was up to speed on almost everything within a few days. I was totally lost in math class, and that has a snowball effect of lagging behind and being unable to catch up. After a while many people will just give up because they feel that they are stupid or unworthy unless they make special arrangements to catch up.

I personally didn't dislike math class as much as my fellow students, and I certainly don't dislike math itself (I actually find it rather cathartic) but to waste so much time on things most people won't utilize is one of the worst things you could have in an education system.
This is the reason people hate maths. Maths is like building a pyramid, you have your foundation that needs to be solid, then another layer, then another, and another and so on. Everything builds on the work done in the previous year. Miss school/don't keep up and you are screwed. Combine with weak teaching of the basics, and its no wonder people hate it, especially when they are forced to do it.

Dr W

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.
kiwifarms.net
I always hated English more, even though I got equal or better grades in it than math. With math, there was at least a right and wrong answer, and it was, if not easy, at least possible to get the empirically correct choice every single time. Of course, I didn't have amazing teachers most of the time and don't really remember much of anything beyond basic algebra, but it's still doable. I had a shitty time with math in my younger years because I wasn't ever using it for anything at all, but once I took my first chemistry course and started to see math applied, it clicked and I started working harder on it.

With English, it was about bullshitting the teacher correctly to get your A. So I would spend most of my class observing the instructor and trying to determine what they liked and didn't like, then I would tailor my essays and shit to that, unless it was later in my academic career, where I would just get bored and try to make the most unnerving and uncomfortable essays I possibly could while still getting high grades. Once I started doing that, English became fun.

The point is that both, in my opinion, are taught wrong. English should be about clearly expressing yourself and for inspiring thought in others. Math should be a practical skill applied to the sciences for the purpose of determining something important. Both can be used in some capacity by anyone in any field, but they are taught in such a manner as to make them both feel useless.

Reactions: Assman

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
I always hated English more, even though I got equal or better grades in it than math. With math, there was at least a right and wrong answer, and it was, if not easy, at least possible to get the empirically correct choice every single time. Of course, I didn't have amazing teachers most of the time and don't really remember much of anything beyond basic algebra, but it's still doable. I had a shitty time with math in my younger years because I wasn't ever using it for anything at all, but once I took my first chemistry course and started to see math applied, it clicked and I started working harder on it.

With English, it was about bullshitting the teacher correctly to get your A. So I would spend most of my class observing the instructor and trying to determine what they liked and didn't like, then I would tailor my essays and shit to that, unless it was later in my academic career, where I would just get bored and try to make the most unnerving and uncomfortable essays I possibly could while still getting high grades. Once I started doing that, English became fun.

The point is that both, in my opinion, are taught wrong. English should be about clearly expressing yourself and for inspiring thought in others. Math should be a practical skill applied to the sciences for the purpose of determining something important. Both can be used in some capacity by anyone in any field, but they are taught in such a manner as to make them both feel useless.
Tbh some of this is good stuff to learn.

Being able to identify your audience and craft your work to be best understood/received by them is one of the requirements for being a successful writer of anything.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think its the way our brains are wired. Most humans are wired for abstract thinking, not the kind of linear thinking that math tends to demand. Its no accident people who are good at math are often very eccentric and socially awkward. The type of mind wired to do complex equations is fundamentally abnormal. Not in a bad way mind you, but in a general "humans as social creatures" sort of way. English is a subject more suited for baseline human cognition. As such its more popular.

of course, the very best Mathematicians are freaks capable of both linear and abstract thinking. They also tend to be very crazy in some or many ways.

Reactions: PsychoNerd054

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m going with lack of interest and lack of confidence.

I think it’s because there’s this whole idea some people have that you inherently have to be some kind of genius or that you have to have the “right brain” (At birth that is) to understand math. Granted, the very best in the field are freakishly intelligent. But as a skill, absolutely anybody can be adept at it. It just takes lots and lots of practice to do it right.

Even then, there are plenty of websites and resources that can help you build your understanding of various topics in Math.

Some of my favorite would be Wolfram Alpha, Stack Exchange, and Brilliant.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think its the way our brains are wired. Most humans are wired for abstract thinking, not the kind of linear thinking that math tends to demand. Its no accident people who are good at math are often very eccentric and socially awkward. The type of mind wired to do complex equations is fundamentally abnormal. Not in a bad way mind you, but in a general "humans as social creatures" sort of way. English is a subject more suited for baseline human cognition. As such its more popular.

of course, the very best Mathematicians are freaks capable of both linear and abstract thinking. They also tend to be very crazy in some or many ways.
It's not a coincidence that most western Jihadis have math/engineering degrees. They're smart but learn the Quran on their own instead of in a traditional moderate mosque that filters everything through culture.

Dr W

kiwifarms.net
Tbh some of this is good stuff to learn.

Being able to identify your audience and craft your work to be best understood/received by them is one of the requirements for being a successful writer of anything.
That was never taught to me directly, it just pissed me off that at random I would at first get good or bad grades, and then, only when I thought about cheating the system in the most absurd way possible, did I learn the valuable life lesson that pleasing authority figures gets you places. I'm sure there are people who never figured that shit out.

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
That was never taught to me directly, it just pissed me off that at random I would at first get good or bad grades, and then, only when I thought about cheating the system in the most absurd way possible, did I learn the valuable life lesson that pleasing authority figures gets you places. I'm sure there are people who never figured that shit out.
It's not about "Pleasing authority figures" its about being able to consider who you're writing for, in any given situation. If you want your message to be heard you have to deliver it in a way where people will A: want to listen and B: comprehend your meaning.

All writers are whores my friend, whats even the point if people just shrug their shoulders and go "TL:biggrin:R!?"

• Agree
Reactions: PsychoNerd054

Dr W

kiwifarms.net
It's not about "Pleasing authority figures" its about being able to consider who you're writing for, in any given situation. If you want your message to be heard you have to deliver it in a way where people will A: want to listen and B: comprehend your meaning.

All writers are whores my friend, whats even the point if people just shrug their shoulders and go "TL:biggrin:R!?"
I suck at reading audiences. Before I would say things that were way too controversial, now I feel like I'm playing it too safe in most places.

Tags
None