Why does kiwifarms abhor the doublepost? -

Lemmingwise

"artists need to be stopped" ~Jordan Peterson 2019
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of course I see the benefit of a rule that prevents spamming and self-bumping.

I've run into something that I think could be improved and I am curious to hear if others run into it or maybe that I'm not seeing the full picture.

Sometimes I have two completely different thoughts that don't seem to belong in the same post. Like one is a short oneline joke and the other thoughts on a developing situation.

There is interesting feedback from people's ratings, you want to know if the joke was funny or corny, if the thoughts were shallow or thought provoking.

By collapsing the thoughts into one post you don't know what people respond to.

Also, since I'm in non-us time zone, the farms are pretty quiet during my waking hours. Sometimes I post something in the morning and have a new thought about something else in the thread that I want to reply to in the early evening.

But since the barrage of activity usually starts just after that I find that an active topic has no new posts and I either have to wait to make the post until someone else posts, or edit my post (and end up not notifying the person I quotes).

So in short, is it time to re-evaluate policy on doubleposting? Do we want to be able to rate seperate thoughts?

Romper Stomper

How do you do, my fellow whites?
kiwifarms.net
Usually a lot of other forums I would use just automerged double posts with a break between the two saying 'edit:'
Though I don't really see what the big problem with double posting would be, seems pretty harmless.

Clown Baby

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's because multiple posts in a short period of time are associated with overexcited newfags spamming threads with nothing of value. Think up one good thing to say and say it, then shut up.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
kiwifarms.net
It's most forums that will scold you for double/triple/multiposting, not just KF, in my experience. As to why, it probably has something to do with how posts are formatted and the repetition of avatar/title. You can easily fill up the browser's whole viewport with just yourself, as evidenced in this thread...

I liken it to talking to someone when they can't finish a thought concisely, so they keep blathering more and more while you're just trying to process what they're talking about. It can be annoying.

Edit..
Lemmingwise said:
Sometimes I have two completely different thoughts that don't seem to belong in the same post. Like one is a short oneline joke and the other thoughts on a developing situation.

There is interesting feedback from people's ratings, you want to know if the joke was funny or corny, if the thoughts were shallow or thought provoking.

By collapsing the thoughts into one post you don't know what people respond to.
Putting multiple points in one post can muddy the waters for post ratings. In practice someone will post something I :agree: with, but then one quote later in the same post I'll have a change of heart so I'll go with :like: or :feels: instead. All the same I prefer collapsing it into one post.

• Informative
Reactions: Lemmingwise

LazloChalos

Shitty photoshopper
kiwifarms.net
Here is my proposal.

Once a consecutive post is detected by the same user, they can only receive one of two ratings throughout the thread.

The ratings are "Faggot!" and "Fuck your rating farming!"

Reactions: Lemmingwise

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Double posting seemed to become the norm on shit forums like Reddit and Twitter because their userbases have the attention span of a moth but that's not really an issue here

Tags
None