Why does my water have a "Best by" date? -

ThinkThankThunk

No longer huffing gamer girl farts due to COVID-19
kiwifarms.net
"Best by" and "Expiration date""are similar but different terms. The bottle itself may have a best by, but the liquid can still be consumed afterwards without any significant risk of having lost it's nutritional content or of causing illness afterward. Something like meat on the other hand expires, which indicates there's a danger of contamination or deterioration of the product.

In this case, the water may have a risk of it's seal breaking but the liquid inside will still be water and it will still serve the dietary purposes it's purchased for. This is the case for a lot of other bottled drinks and canned foods as well.

Because all consumable goods are required to have a best by date
In the U.S., no consumer food product besides baby food is required by the FDA to state an expiration or best by date. Even in Canada, which has more stringent regulations on expiration than much of the Commonwealth, the CFIA only requires an expiry on foods which are primarily used for nutritional purposes which are known to lose their effect with age like meal replacements, supplements and prescribed diets. The date is only present on normal consumer foods by the manufacturers choice to co-ordinate stocking dates and to help shoppers.

Vlinny Chan

Professional holocaust denier, at your service.
kiwifarms.net
Oh... right.

This is the type of shit that makes me want to find a small cabin in the middle of nowhere and live off the land by myself. No fucking wonder that so many people are getting cancer and dying. You can't trust anything these days to not contain small traces of a cancer-causing chemical that will get inside you and fuck up your liver or some shit and give your future children a healthy dose of down syndrome. It's worse when you consider that those same plastics are used fucking everywhere, food and drink most of all. Fuck this post-modern gay earth.

Richard Harrow

“Look, fat, look, here's the deal...”
kiwifarms.net
If I'm not mistaken, it might also have something to do with inevitable bacteria growth inside the bottles. Temps and UV exposure would be variables I'm sure.

ThinkThankThunk

No longer huffing gamer girl farts due to COVID-19
kiwifarms.net
Oh... right.

This is the type of shit that makes me want to find a small cabin in the middle of nowhere and live off the land by myself. No fucking wonder that so many people are getting cancer and dying. You can't trust anything these days to not contain small traces of a cancer-causing chemical that will get inside you and fuck up your liver or some shit and give your future children a healthy dose of down syndrome. It's worse when you consider that those same plastics are used fucking everywhere, food and drink most of all. Fuck this post-modern gay earth.
Most of the chemicals we use daily and rely on for manufacturing have only been synthesized in the last few decades, of course it's all going to be discovered to be awful for us. Early cans were made of raw tin or scrap aluminum, which meant they were impossible to apply sealants to and couldn't be sterilized properly, so anyone alive between 1800 and the early 1900's had a good chance of dying of botulism or salmonella. It's been this way ever since we began producing utensils - I can't imagine sharp rocks were the most sterile thing in the world to cut meat with.

If you're that paranoid about plastics just transfer your food into jars when you buy them. Glass and ceramics are the oldest and most simple storage mediums we have, plus they're the easiest to clean to boot. You should already be doing that with bulk things like sugar and rice to begin with so they can safely circulate their moisture and breathe without needing to own 8000 brown sugar bears.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
Many displays aren't maintained by the shop owner but by the local distribution company. Best buy dates let the beverage delivery guy know when to rotate the stock and get the stuff that doesn't sell out of there.

The Shadow

What a time to be alive.
kiwifarms.net
Water can go bad. Try leaving a few bottles in the back of your car for a while in the desert. It's just enough for bacteria to thrive.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
Oh... right.

Not so much cancer, more like how bisphenols in plastic can act like estrogen.

Reactions: Vlinny Chan

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
It has to do with the bottle and not the water. Water is water is water but the bottle has an expiration date.

Tags
None