What is needed, though I don't think it'll happen, is something like this to go down:Because internet is not a fun place anymore.
People are patrolling other people for lynching in case they say "wrong things" and internet lynching are turning to IRL lyinching more often, with the encouraging of media and "influencers" (I hate this word). And internet turned into a Most Miserable Life Contest. Like, you make a post saying you like your life, then a bunch of people come to you to say you have privilege, you're opressing and things like that. Even a dog photo can be target of problematization by bitter people.
- Person says something mildly problematic on twatter
- Outrage mob whipped up
- Outrage mob doxes person and their employer and demands that they be fired.
- Employer is vaguely influential or large, but not necessarily a household name
- Employer tells outrage mob to FRO, and that they do not accept harassment of their staff on or offline
- Outrage mob tries to boycott employer
- Employer sticks to guns, saying they do not negotiate with terrorists
- Employer sues elements of mob over harassment in order to send a message
- Majority of mob, who probably have something to lose, buggers off
Unfortunately it won't happen in my profession, because the Law Society would be more than happy to throw an individual solicitor under the bus over things like this.