Why does the internet feel less special and interesting now than it did in the mid 00s -

Slappy McGherkin

Let me introduce you to coulrophobia.
kiwifarms.net
Yes this the most fun website I remember from the old days was stileproject and its forum. It was just a guy as far as I know. He wrote up his own posts and had wierd videos from the internet. The forum was mostly unmoderated, the internet didnt really seem to need moderation back then. I think the most likely culprit is just corporations just wanting websites sanitized to make the most off ad revenue.
Stileproject was a lot of fun back in the day, as was the early SomethingAwful. Stuff you could read and laugh at on a daily basis. I know SA is still around but is nothing like it used to be. SA used to have the best and funniest Photoshop competitions. They'd post a pic and then everyone would go to work on it and post the results to vote at the end of the week. There were some truly talented choppers there, creative as hell.

Rick Pratt

Whiny poet
kiwifarms.net
I think it's mainly because of Nostalgia, Age, drama, Corporations taking over certain sites or some sites being removed completely, the fact the internet is everywhere now compared to back then when it was all new to us and maybe Aesthetics too,

in the early Myspace/Youtube days there was more customization for the users until the layouts changed, nowadays barely anyone uses myspace and nowadays they go for facebook or other sites instead.

there's more corporate stuff than there is quality content when it comes to videos on the internet, there was all the sjw/skeptic/"gate" drama going on, Blip.tv is dead and not every youtube "network" works for everyone.

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's mainly because of Nostalgia, Age, drama, Corporations taking over certain sites or some sites being removed completely, the fact the internet is everywhere now compared to back then when it was all new to us and maybe Aesthetics too,

in the early Myspace/Youtube days there was more customization for the users until the layouts changed, nowadays barely anyone uses myspace and nowadays they go for facebook or other sites instead.

there's more corporate stuff than there is quality content when it comes to videos on the internet, there was all the sjw/skeptic/"gate" drama going on, Blip.tv is dead and not every youtube "network" works for everyone.
This, absolutely this.

I thought I'd do a little graphical thing to express how the internet has changed over time in terms of its congeniality in general.

webshites.png

Maxliam

Professional Niggo
kiwifarms.net
You would sorta stumble on to stuff. I don't remember how I got on newgrounds when they had the assassin section but after columbine they blew up because of the news coverage. The net grew up and became more than am obscure nerd place to where Chad can use his phone to bang bitches.

I avoid Facebook like the plague it is. The Web to me is better if you don't worry about the dumb shit you don't like. Just like irl. Getting worked up about shit like that will make you hate life.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Piss

kiwifarms.net
everyone apparently wants Bland Boring Modern Designs and Sodas that focus more on calling it “Zero Sugar” rather than actual Great Taste, Naturally Websites while pleasing to the Next Generation Lack Quirkiness and Differentiation mostly Reserving to Flat bland Boring hues of White or Black.
Oh fuck me running I could complain about modern designs and the complete lack of talent within until I've written a novel.

I don't think people actually like modern designs. They're boring and generic. Look at this garbage:

apple SF font.JPG

Newer Apple products use the "San Francisco" font, because apparently fucking Helvetica is too stylized. Congratulations, Apple, you've made the most generic looking operating system ever made. It goes along great with all of my other generic goods:

Generic products.jpg

And considering how so many things follow Apple design cues in bigger or smaller ways, I blame them for the whole lack of style we've been seeing for years and years. Minimalism is lazy and pretentious. I want shit to look more like it belongs in Pee Wee's Playhouse rather than yet another glossy black/white/silver thing. It's about time for exceptional, gaudy designs to come back.

Crichax

Professional Degree in Jadeology
kiwifarms.net
Oh fuck me running I could complain about modern designs and the complete lack of talent within until I've written a novel.

I don't think people actually like modern designs. They're boring and generic. Look at this garbage:

View attachment 758892

Newer Apple products use the "San Francisco" font, because apparently fucking Helvetica is too stylized. Congratulations, Apple, you've made the most generic looking operating system ever made. It goes along great with all of my other generic goods:

View attachment 758894

And considering how so many things follow Apple design cues in bigger or smaller ways, I blame them for the whole lack of style we've been seeing for years and years. Minimalism is lazy and pretentious. I want shit to look more like it belongs in Pee Wee's Playhouse rather than yet another glossy black/white/silver thing. It's about time for exceptional, gaudy designs to come back.
DA Eclipse (new DeviantArt redesign) also looks BAD. I like the old site better, TBH. At least it's not just BLACK and MINIMALISTIC oooh.

• Informative
Reactions: Piss

Monsieur Guillotine

Arrogant and standoffish
kiwifarms.net
People don't show up to interact and share common interests anymore, they build their own social media portfolios catered to whichever master sites they end up on.
This is the correct answer.

Back in the day, if you were interested in a topic, you'd find a community somewhere with a shitty socket-based chatroom and a guestbook and a gallery and shit like that. It was modest but you'd find maybe 10-15 cool people that you talked to every day. Now everything is streamlined; you go to the big social media site like Reddit or Facebook or w/e and just find the topic of your choice, then just "react" to whatever shitpost appears in front of you. It's very generic and you don't get that same sense of community.

Even if you didn't give a shit about chatrooms or forums, there were still lots of interesting sites for every little thing, and having your own site was the shit. Now you just visit the same 7 or 8 sites for whatever, and people who would aspire to be webmasters will just create a subreddit or Facebook group instead.

• Winner
Reactions: Piss
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino