Opinion Why Trump Voters Stick With Him - An imagined conversation with Flyover Man.

How accurate is this literally imaginary interview?

• Very accurate

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Mostly Accurate

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Equally accurate and inaccurate

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Mostly Inaccurate

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Very Inaccurate

Votes: 27 19.9%
  • Unintentionally Accurate / Accurate, but not in the way David Brooks thinks

Votes: 86 63.2%

• Total voters

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone is wondering what's wrong with current day political discourse, just point to this article. He could actually find a Trump supporter, ask these questions, have a discussion and maybe have a better understanding of what people are feeling. Instead he just makes up his own idea of what a Trump supporter is so he can "win".

Most political fights are two people arguing over what they think the other believes rather than what they actually believe.
Heres the thing. For a looooooooooong ass time one of the favoured dirty tricks for smearing political enemies, especially if they were fairly small, was to find the biggest, ugliest, sketchiest looking exceptional individual imaginable vaguely associated with them or easily influenced to become vaguely associated with them, and then conduct an interview with them in which they are portrayed as "the average [INSERT GROUP I HATE HERE] supporter" if not a straight up leading figure in their ranks.

In recent years the media has been pulling this technique with bigger and bigger groups with the result usually being a fizzle or a backfire given how much more blatantly horseshit this tactic is when dealing with bigass blocks of people who can more easily refute the smear.

The fact they are testing out a new "this is a literal strawman I built. please believe me when I say he is the average [INSERT GROUP I HATE HERE] supporter" tactic shows either some form of desperation with the former tactic not working, or nigh unseen levels of self important smug in that they expect people to trust them when they say that their strawman is super real.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
The fact they are testing out a new "this is a literal strawman I built. please believe me when I say he is the average [INSERT GROUP I HATE HERE] supporter" tactic shows either some form of desperation with the former tactic not working, or nigh unseen levels of self important smug in that they expect people to trust them when they say that their strawman is super real.
I'll take option "B", your Honor.

They aren't smart enough to self reflect on if their tactics work or not, or how to make them work better/suck less. All they know for sure is that THEY are the media, and the media is NOT TO BE MOCKED.

Vorhtbame

The prettiest zombie-slayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mr. Bame proposed a different version of this conversation:

Urban Guy: I hope you read the rough transcript of that Trump phone call with the Ukrainian president.

Flyover Man: Yes. Did you?

Urban Guy: Uh...no...but I watched CNN's report about it.

Flyover Man: Go away.

Iwasamwillbe

The Black Man, The Crawling Chaos
kiwifarms.net
Some of the smarmier Twitter responses to this article, from those who have totally known flyover people and have totally lived in red/flyover states:

I'm an eastern elite, but wasn't always. I know lots of poor, miserable flyover people. They refuse to move to where good jobs are, and refuse to retrain. They loathe the nice, quiet hardworking immigrant neighbors bec they're racists. Nursing their grievances is their hobby.

I don’t think it immoral to understand what they are saying, but I do think they are immoral. I grew up in flyover country in a poor state and a working class family. You give them too much credit. They are racists and arrogant and uneducated and want what they want.

I live in a red state. I hear what they actually say about why they support him. They hate the rest of us. People of color, LGBTQ, non Christians, poor people, people who live in cities, people with college educations, feminists...they see themselves as the only real Americans.

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net
Like, how fucking hard is it to just talk to someone who supports the guy?
Are they... literally incapable of finding a real person to talk to? Is that below their dignity or what? What possible value is there in an "interview" conducted entirely in your head?
It's pretty fucking hard to talk to MAGA's when you've deleted all republican facebook friends and family. And then when you try to find new ones, they have learned time and time again that media will twist their words and report inaccurately on purpose.

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
Denigrating those places to just "flyover" states is a deciptive misnomer from the start.
Sometimes, people have to drive through them too.
After living in NY for a long time I came to the conclusion that people who live in NY and unironically use terms like that are generally recent transplants from one of the states they are shitting on or they are just terribly insecure in all respects.

Just to add to others: Nothing in that transcript violates any law. If it did Schiff wouldn't have to make up things that Trump said and there would have been a vote to make the impeachment inquiry official. The DNC is scratching hard because they know none of their clownidates can beat Trump.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
The idea for the article is quite good, the execution is terrible. Looks like tumblr fanfiction.

Thing is, you need some self-awareness to pull out something like this and these people don't have any. It reads like a strawman rather than whatever it was meant to be.

• DRINK!
Reactions: ConfederateIrishman

thx1138

Are you now, or have you ever been?
kiwifarms.net
This reminds me of an article from cracked.com. The article's title was "6 Reasons for Trump's Rise No-One Talks About". That's fairly innocuous, and actually pretty even handed and the link maintained the published title. The editors at that "comedy" website changed it to "How half the country lost it's fucking mind". But, despite the editorial bullshit, the article evenly explained the how and the why of Trump's election from a ground-level, and pointed out, we get it. And they did, apparently.

The point is not the article itself. It's pretty well thought out. The point is that one, the editors changed the title (too balanced for a "comedy" website, I guess), and the comments section, predictably, went bonkers. Lots of "Yes, but - !" or "Lol this is an alt-right nazi website now" and so on.

These dipshits are really going to get Trump elected again and they don't even realize it.

Here we go, here's the article...

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
After living in NY for a long time I came to the conclusion that people who live in NY and unironically use terms like that are generally recent transplants from one of the states they are shitting on or they are just terribly insecure in all respects.

Just to add to others: Nothing in that transcript violates any law. If it did Schiff wouldn't have to make up things that Trump said and there would have been a vote to make the impeachment inquiry official. The DNC is scratching hard because they know none of their clownidates can beat Trump.
I drove through the flyover states to get to NYC and now i wished I had stayed in one, either in North Texas or Oklahoma. The Longhorn steaks alone are worth it not to mention everyone is polite, pleasant and loves their gunz. Mind you I wasn't anywhere near Okie City or Tulsa, places everyone told me to steer clear of.

The entire trip was worth it, the Southern US is beautiful and full of historical sites. Driving through the mountains in Tennessee was incredible. I'd do it again if I could.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino