Disaster Wikipedia Is Now Banned in China in All Languages - Don’t upset Big Brother by learning

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Wikipedia Is Now Banned in China in All Languages
China has expanded its ban on Wikipedia to block the community-edited online encyclopedia in all available languages, the BBC reports.

An earlier enforced ban barred Internet users from viewing the Chinese version, as well as the pages for sensitive search terms such as Dalai Lama and the Tiananmen massacre.

According to Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI), an internet censorship research group, the block has been in place since late April.

The Wikimedia foundation said in a statement that it did not receive any notice of the censorship.

Wikipedia joins a growing list of websites that cannot be accessed in China, which in recent years has tightened its grip on access to information online. Google, Facebook and LinkedIn are among the sites already banned, forcing Internet users to use virtual private networks, or VPN, to bypass what has become known as the “Great Firewall” of China.

Reporters Without Border’s 2019 World Press Freedom index ranks China at 177 on a list of 180 countries analyzed. According to a separate study conducted by the watchdog group, China is not just issuing censorships locally, but is also attempting to infiltrate foreign media in an attempt to deter criticism and spread propaganda.

Wikipedia is also blocked in Turkey.
That sucks. The smart and tech savvy Chinese people will use VPNs, but they were never the target of propaganda to begin with. A significant portion of the population will continue to eat up China’s propaganda as fact.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net

That sucks. The smart and tech savvy Chinese people will use VPNs, but they were never the target of propaganda to begin with. A significant portion of the population will continue to eat up China’s propaganda as fact.
To some extent that's a choice they're making, and I could see why they're making it even if I can't really relate.

Sexy Senior Citizen

What's the big deal? It's called a fetish!
kiwifarms.net
And nothing of value was lost.
Assuming you're referring to the political slant of Wikipedia's editors, I'd say that depends upon what you're looking up. If you're looking up something apolitical, like molecular structure or rocket science, you aren't likely to find politics inserted into it. On the other hand, if you're looking up Donald Trump, then you'll find a political slant (putting it very, very mildly.)

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Assuming you're referring to the political slant of Wikipedia's editors, I'd say that depends upon what you're looking up. If you're looking up something apolitical, like molecular structure or rocket science, you aren't likely to find politics inserted into it. On the other hand, if you're looking up Donald Trump, then you'll find a political slant (putting it very, very mildly.)
Also the fact that there will be less Chinese Communist Party Bugmen plaguing everything China related on the wiki.

Honestly though, Wikipedia is the lowest forum for internet knowledge. It doesn't tend to explain shit well, and when it does it tends to be unverified.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Also the fact that there will be less Chinese Communist Party Bugmen plaguing everything China related on the wiki.

Honestly though, Wikipedia is the lowest forum for internet knowledge. It doesn't tend to explain shit well, and when it does it tends to be unverified.
It used to make an ok jumping-off spot for following citation links and then I guess they decided they didn't need to pick decent sources anymore for certain subjects and that kind of fell off a fucking cliff.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I'm puzzled it wasn't already.
I'm inclined to think the Chinese government decided it wasn't worth it to lean on Wikipedia to self-censor to a Party-Approved state because of the ever-present possibility of an "article vandal" sneaking through and putting inconvenient shit in every now and then. I anticipate Chinkapedia being a thing within a year.

Clop

kiwifarms.net
I'm inclined to think the Chinese government decided it wasn't worth it to lean on Wikipedia to self-censor to a Party-Approved state because of the ever-present possibility of an "article vandal" sneaking through and putting inconvenient shit in every now and then. I anticipate Chinkapedia being a thing within a year.
Wanted to go check if such a thing existed already and got some good laughs.

So... This really means Google is building them their own party approved Wikipedia right? It doesn't seem right, the Chinese getting fucked by their government and Google doesn't get a piece when they work so hard to push their propoganda.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Unog
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino