Disaster Wikipedia Is Now Banned in China in All Languages - Don’t upset Big Brother by learning

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Chinese students must be furious they have to look up actual sources.
Are Chinese professors so exceptional they allowed Wikipedia as a source in the first place? I mean, every institution of higher learning I've been through considers a Wikipedia citation to be an instant mark-down for grade. Write a great paper, but cited fucking Wikipedia? B+, you dumb faggot, what the fuck is wrong with you.

Reactions: JambledUpWords

Equivocal_Iki

kiwifarms.net
Are Chinese professors so exceptional they allowed Wikipedia as a source in the first place? I mean, every institution of higher learning I've been through considers a Wikipedia citation to be an instant mark-down for grade. Write a great paper, but cited fucking Wikipedia? B+, you dumb faggot, what the fuck is wrong with you.
That's why you don't cite wikipedia but use it as a jumping off point or cross-reference its sources.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Also the fact that there will be less Chinese Communist Party Bugmen plaguing everything China related on the wiki.
Nope, if you're part of the 50 Cent Army you get unfiltered internet access so you can tell all the people on Wikipedia and Reddit or wherever about how great China really is.
Well that sucks. I mean, I'm also kind of surprised that it wasn't already banned. Seems like anything that mentions the shit that the Chinese government has done gets blocked in that country.
It gets banned and unbanned periodically.
So... This really means Google is building them their own party approved Wikipedia right? It doesn't seem right, the Chinese getting fucked by their government and Google doesn't get a piece when they work so hard to push their propoganda.
Google? Nah, in classic Chinaman style their own knockoff of Google Baidu built it for them.

There's also Hudong.

Bad Headspace

kiwifarms.net
I am amazed that they didn't banned that place like a decade ago.
Wikipedia is propaganda anyway, at least there will be less chinese shitposters.
Imagine what a free for all the internet would be if there were 500 million more angry chinamen posting everywhere.
Actually that would have been fun, think of the potential lolcows lost during the great leap forward. sadface

Shaved Kiwis

Gran Autismo 3: A-Sped
kiwifarms.net
I am amazed that they didn't banned that place like a decade ago.
Wikipedia is propaganda anyway, at least there will be less chinese shitposters.
Imagine what a free for all the internet would be if there were 500 million more angry chinamen posting everywhere.
Actually that would have been fun, think of the potential lolcows lost during the great leap forward. sadface
China is slacking, man. The Russkies banned Wikipedia back in 2o13 for their article on jazz cigarettes.

Bunny Tracks

Addicted to a certain kind of sadness
kiwifarms.net
I'm more shocked that it wasn't just straight-up perma-banned before. It seemed obvious that it would be. Upon looking further into it, however, the guidelines for what does and doesn't get banned in China seems almost random. 1984 isn't, but Alice in Wonderland is.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Believe many would be surprised to see just how much in the way of resources (people, equipment, buildings, etc.) Beijing devotes to quashing dissent. Can you imagine how many people work as censors, even of approved Chinese social media networks? You can bet there are a number of print censors, on top of the self-censorship practiced by the people who put out publications/books. And there are also many film censors. Then add in the various police organizations, secret and otherwise, and you have a huge apparatus to suppress dissent.

However, for every measure there's a countermeasure. People are endlessly inventive in finding ways around any obstacle. The Chinese Government surely must realize their strategy of suppressing dissent will not work in the long run. And when the next recession hits, and we see bubbles (credit, housing, debt) bursting in the Chinese economy, believe dissent will far outpace the Chinese Government's ability to suppress it. The lid blows off the pressure cooker, and who knows what will happen.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
It used to make an ok jumping-off spot for following citation links and then I guess they decided they didn't need to pick decent sources anymore for certain subjects and that kind of fell off a fucking cliff.
It is still ok as long as what you are looking up isn't current event or pop culture related. Like if I wanna know how many guns HMS Warspite carried or something.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slayer Regiment
kiwifarms.net
Most Honorable Glorious People's Republic is very wise truly. I cannot wait for honorable government's approved information pamphlets dictating glorious ancestral land as most wonderful place in world and proud honorable government as highest authority in universe! Truly most honorable and glorious Paramount Leader Xi Jinpooh knows what is best for People's Republic!

Ding Dong Bannu - Xi Jinping

Assuming you're referring to the political slant of Wikipedia's editors, I'd say that depends upon what you're looking up. If you're looking up something apolitical, like molecular structure or rocket science, you aren't likely to find politics inserted into it. On the other hand, if you're looking up Donald Trump, then you'll find a political slant (putting it very, very mildly.)
It all depends on what you're looking up. Political articles are biased, science articles range from well informed to severely lacking depending on the subject (and should be taken with a grain of salt unless you're familiar with the subject) especially if it has a tie to politics (thankfully rocket science has no political ties), sports articles seem even more well informed than any other, media articles can be biased or ill-informed, demographic articles and many other kinds rely too much on "according to some" with plenty of "[citations needed]", and articles about 90s/2000s cartoons are a bit too detailed at times to almost exceptional degrees. It's hit or miss depending on the subject and how much you know about the subject you're looking up. There's a reason why most educational institutes don't like it when students use Wikipedia as a reference, and its not just because of the fear of lazy research methods. However China's banning of it is no excuse since it is purely just to control the minds of its people even more, a better alternative would've been to simply make a PSA stating the truth: "take what you read online with a grain or spoonful of salt", but that's not possible with China since that would make people start questioning Chinese propaganda.

Although one thing that interests me is how this will affect some particularly obnoxious Wikipedians I know who claim to be from China. This one in particular was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, going from moderately normal and sociable chinese dude to proud male feminist ally, then finally to full on generic crazy SJW troon fedoralord#408.

Last edited:

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
That sucks. The smart and tech savvy Chinese people will use VPNs, but they were never the target of propaganda to begin with. A significant portion of the population will continue to eat up China’s propaganda as fact.
wikipedia is it's own propaganda.

Assuming you're referring to the political slant of Wikipedia's editors, I'd say that depends upon what you're looking up. If you're looking up something apolitical, like molecular structure or rocket science, you aren't likely to find politics inserted into it. On the other hand, if you're looking up Donald Trump, then you'll find a political slant (putting it very, very mildly.)
Not quite, for example I can go to something as simple as biological sex dimorphism in humans check the history, and you regularly see people pushing fringe studies, unsourced claims or even just using opinions from a book to push their own viewpoint, because they aren't liking what they are reading. And theres people tirelessly reverting these changes constantly. But eventually they get enough people on side to split the page up, now there is sexual assignment article, now there is a gender roles article, places where they have editors sympathetic to their viewpoints.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino