Careercow Wil Wheaton + Felicia Day - The "Man" who soy'd the World and the Fakest of Geek Girls, SJW sexual harassment fence-sitters

Pick a side

• Wil "Soyboy" Wheaton

• Felicia "Crybaby" Day

• That shotgun’s looking pretty good right about now...

• Just shut the fuck up Wesley

• Felicia blew me for this vote

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ghostse

Gorilla Channel Executive Producer
kiwifarms.net
How autistic do you have to be to think TTRPGS should be a spectator sport?

Real talk, if you have a good group of funny improv actors doing it for an audience, it can be pretty fun. But honestly that's more like its fun DESPITE the elfgame instead of because of it. I also watch the occasional game stream to see how a system runs, and one-offs can be good if there's a good group with a fun dymanic. But that's like an hour or two tops, not 4 goddamn hours.

However, CR from what I saw is like hours and hours of talking and trying to manufacture drama as they drone on about their characters feelings or w/e. I think I saw them touch their dice one time the stream my friend showed me that I was sort of watching. Which, to be fair, not every session of D&D needs to involve rolls and combat, but I got this feeling this was the rule and the not the exception.
(It didn't seem to be a race to be the most woke, so at least there is that.)

Chancroid

Am sure your pussy is massive.
kiwifarms.net
I emphasize the G in RPG. When I did DM, it was fun to have music and sound effects and ambience, but it's still a game. That's why the rulebooks exist. Sure, toss the redundant rules and homebrew all you want, even fudge DM rolls behind the screen to keep the pace going...but the "acting" and drama just does not appeal to me. It's why I would play something like Grimrock over The Witcher. I don't even play crunchy rolemaster style games. Can't go wrong with a good old D6. If you want to act out drama, play Amber or larp some Vampire.

Ghostse

kiwifarms.net
If you want to act out drama, play Amber or larp some Vampire.

Exactly. Or if you don't want to full freeform, FATE or Exalted.
I guess that's my thing, CR should be using another system. There was some other podcast that started out with D&D and eventually moved to a system that better supported the "talky and intra-party drama shit" they wanted to do.
(fe: The Adventure Zone was what I was thinking of)

RX-78NT-1 Alex Gundam

The Autist who unironically studied Klingon
kiwifarms.net
I can't bring myself to actually watch it either. I like stealing ideas from other DMs, but the idea-to-time-investment of CR is abysmal. Matt Mercer seems like a pretty cool guy, and there's like one or two normies, but its always the slavic chick and on of the male danger hairs who seem to hog the spotlight.
And...I don't dislike Mercer, but I absolutely despise the concept of him because, as @RX-78NT-1 Alex Gundam said, you get people show up and expect the game to BE this podcast. They want to be their fanfiction version of their favorite CR character (which isn't always bad), and then get unhappy when the game isn't CR.
In my last game I attempted. I had a player walk out. She was quite confused at DnD. Which is fair enough. We all were when we first started. But the convo just got weird.

"Have you played DnD before? It's cool if you haven't. 5E is pretty easy to learn."
"Oh, I thought you just did whatever?"
"No. It's a game. It has rules. They're pretty easy to wrap your head around compared to other editions. No judgements I'm happy to teach you."
"But on CR they just said stuff. And that looked pretty fun."
"I'm pretty sure they rolled dice occasionally when they remembered to."
"But Matt Mercer said you can play the game however you like."
"Um, yes and no. You can play how you like within the rules and framework of DnD. If you don't like DnD that's cool there's games like VtM. Loads of games with different rules."
"I just want to be a character. This stuff looks too complicated."

And then they just walked off. I realise I can be a bit anal and autistic when it comes to this stuff, but it's important to accurately describe the kind of experience you can expect from any RPG. Unfortunetly I have similar conversations with nearly every person my age who's interested in pen and paper games. Maybe it's easier for Millenials and Gen X folks who had groups before the madness. In my experience they tend to stick together and rarely let new people in. Can't fault them for that considering who's around now but it leaves me with no one sensible to play with. Even online.

Ghostse

kiwifarms.net
In my last game I attempted. I had a player walk out. She was quite confused at DnD. Which is fair enough. We all were when we first started. But the convo just got weird.

"Have you played DnD before? It's cool if you haven't. 5E is pretty easy to learn."
"No. It's a game. It has rules. They're pretty easy to wrap your head around compared to other editions. No judgements I'm happy to teach you."
"Um, yes and no. You can play how you like within the rules and framework of DnD. If you don't like DnD that's cool there's games like VtM. Loads of games with different rules."

And then they just walked off. I realise I can be a bit anal and autistic when it comes to this stuff, but it's important to accurately describe the kind of experience you can expect from any RPG. Unfortunetly I have similar conversations with nearly every person my age who's interested in pen and paper games. Maybe it's easier for Millenials and Gen X folks who had groups before the madness. In my experience they tend to stick together and rarely let new people in. Can't fault them for that considering who's around now but it leaves me with no one sensible to play with. Even online.

Yeah, I've had quite a few "math is too hards". I try to make sure my game of battle taxes doesn't get bogged down in needless drudgery.
My stance has always been "Expect everything to be compliant to the rules. DM might let you exceed those rules because of divine intervention, but be prepared to roll for anything you say you're going to do, and don't get salty when A) you have to B) the DC isn't what you thought, and C) the dice don't show what you want"

I don't think this would help your latest encounter, but I have found for new players, having a folder of pregens and basically doing a generally silly multiple choice "Personality Quiz" to help them select one has helped trim down new players getting information overload. It also helps sometimes where they play a character that isn't their mary-sue Yumiaria Fatima Wisen-Datilo - if they are looking to personalize the pre-gen, it gets them used to negotiating character traits, which they probably never had to do when schlicking off to their Game of Thrones John Snow double on discord or w/e it is kids use instead AIM these days.
If you know what a new player is going to be before hand, having a print out of the class page from PHB "Here's just the things relevant for your class & race" can help, as well as a "Quick Reference" character sheet with just the numbers they need.
Even if they have the PHB, having a fast reference will help them focus on relevant information and not feel over whelmed. Most people say they don't like math or all those numbers usually actually mean "I'm not proficient with this and don't like it when I feel like I'm not good at something"; when they can start replying as quickly as the more experienced players, they feel accomplished and they are more likely to continue.

Basically limit their options without just completely railroading them until they find their feet. Present them with options and then explain why they might want to take those options; once they start taking or suggesting options that aren't on the list, they're usually ready for you to start taking off the training wheels.

I've also found shoving them into combat very quickly, but not instantly, helps. Though TBF I've also never run a full newbie group, there has always been at least one other seasoned player there to act as example.

I knew of Matt before CR. I generally like him. But he's got his schtick of being a "Showcase DM": streamline the rules, prioritize audience experience, lots of player spotlight (because they are there to see whatever niche celeb they like, not him), very few player rolls (since you can't fudge those), rather tight scripting that leaves room for improv but enough flow to keep the cats herded. And that's fine for what he runs.
But the D&D he runs on stage is not kitchen table D&D.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

Just as well not to have people like this. This is why you don't let shit slide right at the outset. Let people like this in and their outrageous demands are neverending.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Even if they have the PHB, having a fast reference will help them focus on relevant information and not feel over whelmed. Most people say they don't like math or all those numbers usually actually mean "I'm not proficient with this and don't like it when I feel like I'm not good at something"; when they can start replying as quickly as the more experienced players, they feel accomplished and they are more likely to continue.

this. I mostly do boardgames these days which are even easier to get into with more structure but it applies even there. if you give them enough to work with to have fun without getting overwhelmed it's usually easy.

also you DND nerds should've seen it coming after he was doing boardgames and the effect it had.

I think the only backbone to avoid that fate are the Universal Monsters, when they rebooted the Mummy in 2017 is still starred a WHITE MALE actor.

it was euthanized by executive meddling before it became popular enough to be infested and the white male was tom cruise. anyone trying to cancel it probably would get a visit from a sea org hit squad.
(they went with cruise because universal wanted a big name to spearhead their "dark universe" franchise that puts asses in the seat, completely missing that a) tom cruise only does tom cruise movies and b) you start low and go up, if they had gone through with their universe they would have to pay through the nose for every follow up film with cruise, and they did plan their own MCU after all. just compare who got hired in the beginning and what he got paid compared to 10 years later for infinity war. and personally tom cruise doesn't work as not!nathan drake for me. at all).

otoh it was a kurtzman movie, keeping him busy shitting up classic horror monsters might've saved star trek... nah, who am I kidding.

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Real talk, if you have a good group of funny improv actors doing it for an audience, it can be pretty fun. But honestly that's more like its fun DESPITE the elfgame instead of because of it. I also watch the occasional game stream to see how a system runs, and one-offs can be good if there's a good group with a fun dymanic. But that's like an hour or two tops, not 4 goddamn hours.

However, CR from what I saw is like hours and hours of talking and trying to manufacture drama as they drone on about their characters feelings or w/e. I think I saw them touch their dice one time the stream my friend showed me that I was sort of watching. Which, to be fair, not every session of D&D needs to involve rolls and combat, but I got this feeling this was the rule and the not the exception.
(It didn't seem to be a race to be the most woke, so at least there is that.)

I have a friend that likes CR but they already played RPGs before so it didn’t negatively impact anything since they didn’t have sky high expectations. Imo the issue is that they’re all professional voice actors so some newbies have sky high expectations.

I’ve only seen one episode -it was with my friend- in which they were fighting a Beholder. I haven’t seen the rest of the series so I can’t say how much rolling they do or don’t have since it was a small sample size but it felt like an average number of rolls to me. I didn’t get much because it seemed to be the middle of an arc but I think a NPC died but I don’t remember much else. Oh and one of the guys was kinda salty, I think he was a Wizard or Sorceror, but I could be misremembering it. I didn’t feel like the actors were unfamiliar with the rules but it didn’t come up much, there were occasional disagreements but I’ve seen worse, so I don’t think it’s great for someone trying to learn.

My friend told me that this was an older campaign and apparently they were playing pathfinder previously and ported the campaign over to 5e, which required some home brew. My wild guess is that they were sponsored by Wizards or thought that 5e had more broad appeal. Maybe Matt thought it was easier to DM? Personally I wouldn’t switch systems mid campaign, especially from pathfinder to 5e since pathfinder has more options. Overall I thought it was ok, it’s not my thing and I’m not interested in watching it on my own, but I can see why some people like it, especially if they were fans of the voice actors to begin with.

Last edited:

Doctor Placebo

Somebody asked for brains?
kiwifarms.net

You were perfectly reasonable, and I say that as someone who's not as into the numbers side of tabletop RPG's. You can't have a player who thinks it's drama class and they can just make up anything. It would either end up with you fighting them later, or you indulge them which is unfair to all the other players and would eventually ruin the whole game.

it was euthanized by executive meddling before it became popular enough to be infested and the white male was tom cruise. anyone trying to cancel it probably would get a visit from a sea org hit squad.
(they went with cruise because universal wanted a big name to spearhead their "dark universe" franchise that puts asses in the seat, completely missing that a) tom cruise only does tom cruise movies and b) you start low and go up, if they had gone through with their universe they would have to pay through the nose for every follow up film with cruise, and they did plan their own MCU after all. just compare who got hired in the beginning and what he got paid compared to 10 years later for infinity war. and personally tom cruise doesn't work as not!nathan drake for me. at all).

otoh it was a kurtzman movie, keeping him busy shitting up classic horror monsters might've saved star trek... nah, who am I kidding.
I saw the Mummy remake and all I remember about it is that Cruise's character was just Ethan Hunt after raiding Indiana Jones's wardrobe, and the Mummy has never been more fuckable. It was bad in an extremely generic and forgettable way. The actress who played the Mummy really was hot though, and didn't do a bad job with the little she was given to work with. Pity she didn't get a better movie to be in.

Jigglyjogglers

The Doctor Bashir guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thing is, and I've mentioned before, there are tons of narrative-focused RPGs that you could play if you only wanted to roll dice occasionally. FATE, most White Wolf systems, there's a system that's built entirely around being able to easily recreate action-drama TV shows...

The only reason to play D&D like that is name recognition. It's the tabletop system that every non-gamer knows and probably made fun of until the Brands'™ Spokesrebels™ informed them that cool hip people like it.

Ghostse

kiwifarms.net
I saw the Mummy remake and all I remember about it is that Cruise's character was just Ethan Hunt after raiding Indiana Jones's wardrobe, and the Mummy has never been more fuckable. It was bad in an extremely generic and forgettable way. The actress who played the Mummy really was hot though, and didn't do a bad job with the little she was given to work with. Pity she didn't get a better movie to be in.

As someone said earlier, they tried to bootstrap their own MCU without trying to figure out how the MCU works.
The Mummy was the first woke gender-swap reboot were in the lead up I was thinking "That might actually work," and it could have. The real problem with the Movie was they tried to shoehorn in their "monster hunter club" (Monster Shield and Russel Crow's Jeckel/Hyde as combination org head & monster was actually an interesting idea they did a truly piss-poor job of making me care about) - completely missing the point about the mid-credits SHIELD reveal. Ironman wouldn't have done as well as if it was about Stark trying to navigate SHIELD's structure.

There is almost no individual aspect of the movie that isn't pretty good, but somehow managed to fuck up combining them.

It was like someone bought A5 Kobe steak to grind up and make Hamburger Helper with, and then also ended up burning it.

You were perfectly reasonable, and I say that as someone who's not as into the numbers side of tabletop RPG's. You can't have a player who thinks it's drama class and they can just make up anything. It would either end up with you fighting them later, or you indulge them which is unfair to all the other players and would eventually ruin the whole game.

He was completely reasonable and in that case gave the answer that was best for everyone. My blah blah was more about in general, since he was saying he had trouble recruiting folks.

There's shit that isn't D&D. Do FATE. Do Exalted or CoC if you want to feel cool rolling dice but hate math. It doesn't need to be D&D.

Parthenos

Why hast thou let me see this, Lucifer?
kiwifarms.net
How autistic do you have to be to think TTRPGS should be a spectator sport?

To be completely fair, the thing that got me into RPGs was reading my dad's Knights of the Dinner Table comics, which was essentially reading about a fictional group of players, a DM, and their hijinks. "Watching" other people play is nearly as old as the game itself, this stuff ran in Dragon magazine back in the day. Even back then, there was a lot of poking fun at RPG stereotypes in and out of character. Though it probably helped that it never took itself too seriously and had a healthy dose of satire about the whole thing.

Thing is, and I've mentioned before, there are tons of narrative-focused RPGs that you could play if you only wanted to roll dice occasionally. FATE, most White Wolf systems, there's a system that's built entirely around being able to easily recreate action-drama TV shows...

The only reason to play D&D like that is name recognition. It's the tabletop system that every non-gamer knows and probably made fun of until the Brands'™ Spokesrebels™ informed them that cool hip people like it.

Entirely true, though the only White Wolf game I'd remotely consider playing with former D&D players is Hunter. In general, though I'm more of a roleplayer RPGs are fun because of the limitations, not despite them. The first thing to ask a group is what they want out of a game, then find a RPG to match. There are a couple of systems that I consider roughly equivalent to D&D in terms of complexity that would be good fits for people looking to get into RPGs. (Say what you will about nu-Star Wars but Edge of the Empire is a pretty enjoyable game).

Unfortunately, though, for the moment D&D is now a containment game for better or worse...until the next big "geek" trend comes along. In the meantime, I'd argue that playing a different system is the best way to avoid Critical Role fans. (That said, if any of them find they genuinely enjoy RPGs and want to try something different/more complex I've got nothing against them.)

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
... I knew of Matt before CR. I generally like him. But he's got his schtick of being a "Showcase DM": streamline the rules, prioritize audience experience, lots of player spotlight (because they are there to see whatever niche celeb they like, not him), very few player rolls (since you can't fudge those), rather tight scripting that leaves room for improv but enough flow to keep the cats herded. And that's fine for what he runs.
But the D&D he runs on stage is not kitchen table D&D.
That's why I always shake my head when I hear people say how good Mercer is. The DM's worth is in many ways made by how they handle catastrophic dice results. It's not all about cutesy voice shtick.

Also, as others have said, this is a game. Players generally like rolling dice. Sure I've had plenty of sessions in our 20 year campaign where the dice weren't touched - all character interaction. But by and large having them roll skill checks and the like keeps them engaged.

I incentivize successful skill checks by having a player hand out little tokens to players for successful skill checks. Every 5 tokens can be turned in for a larger one which provides advantage on a dice roll. This lets them know that there are no "wasted successes", so to speak. Being the lowest success on a group perception check still has value. "20's" get you two tokens.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Fabulous Old man
kiwifarms.net
At this point it would be fair to tell the player that she's not playing at Matt Mercer's table. Insufferable CR fans got me to give up D&D for good. They're usually that player that makes the game all about themselves and their super unique special character and their feelings rather than the group experience.

Meanwhile my vigilante dwarf fighter's sword thirsts for gnoll blood and has to sit in the back stewing while I watch the D&D equivalent of hippie interpretive dance therapy.

Last edited:

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
At this point it would be fair to tell the player that she's not playing at Matt Mercer's table. Insufferable CR fans got me to give up D&D for good. They're usually that player that makes the game all about themselves and their super unique special character and their feelings rather than the group experience.

Meanwhile my vigilante dwarf fighter's sword thirsts for knoll blood and has to sit in the back stewing while I watch the D&D equivalent of hippie interpretive dance therapy.

The way all this tabletop shit has shaken out is so funny to me. We all hate improv, but at least with improv you need a stage and an audience and maybe some props or something. Usually years of workshopping and experience.
This is like 2 levels below improv but it attracts the exact same type of person, and even if they joined an improv troupe they would be kicked the fuck out because they could see from a mile away that this person just wants to put on all the wacky hats and do the most extreme shit nobody actually finds funny. They invented the tabletop version of slam poetry.

RX-78NT-1 Alex Gundam

The Autist who unironically studied Klingon
kiwifarms.net
The way all this tabletop shit has shaken out is so funny to me. We all hate improv, but at least with improv you need a stage and an audience and maybe some props or something. Usually years of workshopping and experience.
This is like 2 levels below improv but it attracts the exact same type of person, and even if they joined an improv troupe they would be kicked the fuck out because they could see from a mile away that this person just wants to put on all the wacky hats and do the most extreme shit nobody actually finds funny. They invented the tabletop version of slam poetry.

Meanwhile my vigilante dwarf fighter's sword thirsts for knoll blood and has to sit in the back stewing while I watch the D&D equivalent of hippie interpretive dance therapy.

Okay, so at the cost of revealing my power level, I am a former actor IRL. Not AmDram bollocks either. Classically trained with a specialisation in Shakespeare and other contemporary theatre. With a little improv and musical theatre thrown in. I know drama kids. Part of the reason I left acting was despite the fact I love acting, I love entertaining on stage and having an audience's attention, I could not fucking stand drama kids. They are insufferable. They go on about their favourite musical. Which always happens to be the popular box office hit for the season. But also Rent. They must emulate the characters from Rent. Hence why many actors you will find are despicable degenerates. They're emulating Rent. I wanted to act, to immerse myself in a character and entertain people. Be true to the role and do as good a job as my talent allows. Drama kids want everything to revolve around them. Shakespeare is boring and not to be taken seriously, they want to imitate that one scene from that mainstream slop they like. They want to go straight to TV and ignore theatre completely unless they get that role they like in that musical they like this season. And above all, never tell them to improvise from scratch. They can't do it. They all freeze up. They cannot do anything creative. Everything is derivative of something else. And improv is "not what I signed up for". This isn't from Secondary school drama class by the way. This is the mentality of students from top professional drama schools and actors in the industry right now.

What's the relevance here? A lot of the Critical Role zoomers are drama kids. In fact I'd say all of them are. Even if they only do it as a hobby. They saw Critical Role and thought it was a great stage for their self indulgent bullshit. They don't understand that it's a game. Because it is presented to them as theatre. And they are surprised when autists like me expect them to play a game. Because everyone else runs it like dumb community theatre because there are no neck-beards left in the hobby. I am the anomaly to them. Because I expect them to respect the rules. I expect them to improvise a new character from scratch and not a clone of someone from Critical Role. I have expectations and that is all wrong in their eyes. Because I get in the way of their community theatre bullshit. I want to be a nice GM. I don't want to rail road. I mostly run sandbox style games with a narrative and I improv from there. At first, I found if I sort of laid out my map like an MMO. With quests revealed and marked on the map as the PCs became aware of them, I could entice the gamers who played 4th ed. Even though I mostly played 3.5 at the time. Or Traveller, Or VtM, or something that wasn't just DnD. It worked until the Critical Role kiddies came in. They just want to derail everything so they can force through Gay Marriage and Cutting Off Dick rights. And me trying to get them to do anything at all including actually play the game is "railroading" and "gatekeeping". Hell, just putting down a book that isn't DnD in my LGS like Traveller or Dark Heresy is "gatekeeping." My role as GM is essentially irrelevant.

This could have been fixed if Matt Mercer was just honest about his livestream being a reality television show. It's not DnD. That's all he has to say. But he won't because he knows he'll lose money. So he has to say cop out statements like "Play DnD how you like."

No fuck off, you don't play it how you like. You play DnD with it's rules. Maybe you house rule one or two things here and there. But if you don't like DnD rules you play something else with rules you do like. Which people used to do. Games in general from ancient times to now, had rules. Those rules dictated how you played the game. And differentiated one game from another.

Imagine you're playing a game of Football. But all the players insist on playing with Hockey Sticks. And then they don't even push the ball around. They just mill about. Wack each other with sticks, do funny dances and quote livestreamers. If you point out that maybe it's time to play the game, you get called a gatekeeper.

"Matt Mercer said we could play Football however we liked. Everyone plays Football differently. Stop being so restrictive. Lots of people play football with hockey sticks. We just do whatever. That's the point of games. "

And because you're now in the minority, you can't play Football the proper way at all. You can't even play different games like Cricket, Rounders, or Rugby. Because those games "look too hard" and people have a fit if you even mention something other than their version of Football. So you just leave. That hobby you really like just can't be played at all. And it's filled with arseholes anyway. It's not the worst thing in the world. There's an increasingly shrinking list of other hobbies you like. But it still hurts that something you spent a lot of time on and made friends with has been so thoroughly perverted and destroyed.

No seriously, fuck Matt Mercer. People who constantly tell people how "nice" they are and constantly talk about the "nice" things they do for people are not nice. This should be obvious for the people on this board.

Fuck, I wrote a lot of shit. I'll stop now.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They just want to derail everything so they can force through Gay Marriage and Cutting Off Dick rights. And me trying to get them to do anything at all including actually play the game is "railroading" and "gatekeeping".

I'm glad I got to play RPGs back when they were age appropriate and these fags weren't around.

The Shadow

Fabulous Old man
kiwifarms.net
Okay, so at the cost of revealing my power level, I am a former actor IRL. Not AmDram bollocks either. Classically trained with a specialisation in Shakespeare and other contemporary theatre. With a little improv and musical theatre thrown in. I know drama kids. Part of the reason I left acting was despite the fact I love acting, I love entertaining on stage and having an audience's attention, I could not fucking stand drama kids. They are insufferable. They go on about their favourite musical. Which always happens to be the popular box office hit for the season. But also Rent. They must emulate the characters from Rent. Hence why many actors you will find are despicable degenerates. They're emulating Rent. I wanted to act, to immerse myself in a character and entertain people. Be true to the role and do as good a job as my talent allows. Drama kids want everything to revolve around them. Shakespeare is boring and not to be taken seriously, they want to imitate that one scene from that mainstream slop they like. They want to go straight to TV and ignore theatre completely unless they get that role they like in that musical they like this season. And above all, never tell them to improvise from scratch. They can't do it. They all freeze up. They cannot do anything creative. Everything is derivative of something else. And improv is "not what I signed up for". This isn't from Secondary school drama class by the way. This is the mentality of students from top professional drama schools and actors in the industry right now.

What's the relevance here? A lot of the Critical Role zoomers are drama kids. In fact I'd say all of them are. Even if they only do it as a hobby. They saw Critical Role and thought it was a great stage for their self indulgent bullshit. They don't understand that it's a game. Because it is presented to them as theatre. And they are surprised when autists like me expect them to play a game. Because everyone else runs it like dumb community theatre because there are no neck-beards left in the hobby. I am the anomaly to them. Because I expect them to respect the rules. I expect them to improvise a new character from scratch and not a clone of someone from Critical Role. I have expectations and that is all wrong in their eyes. Because I get in the way of their community theatre bullshit. I want to be a nice GM. I don't want to rail road. I mostly run sandbox style games with a narrative and I improv from there. At first, I found if I sort of laid out my map like an MMO. With quests revealed and marked on the map as the PCs became aware of them, I could entice the gamers who played 4th ed. Even though I mostly played 3.5 at the time. Or Traveller, Or VtM, or something that wasn't just DnD. It worked until the Critical Role kiddies came in. They just want to derail everything so they can force through Gay Marriage and Cutting Off Dick rights. And me trying to get them to do anything at all including actually play the game is "railroading" and "gatekeeping". Hell, just putting down a book that isn't DnD in my LGS like Traveller or Dark Heresy is "gatekeeping." My role as GM is essentially irrelevant.

This could have been fixed if Matt Mercer was just honest about his livestream being a reality television show. It's not DnD. That's all he has to say. But he won't because he knows he'll lose money. So he has to say cop out statements like "Play DnD how you like."

No fuck off, you don't play it how you like. You play DnD with it's rules. Maybe you house rule one or two things here and there. But if you don't like DnD rules you play something else with rules you do like. Which people used to do. Games in general from ancient times to now, had rules. Those rules dictated how you played the game. And differentiated one game from another.

Imagine you're playing a game of Football. But all the players insist on playing with Hockey Sticks. And then they don't even push the ball around. They just mill about. Wack each other with sticks, do funny dances and quote livestreamers. If you point out that maybe it's time to play the game, you get called a gatekeeper.

"Matt Mercer said we could play Football however we liked. Everyone plays Football differently. Stop being so restrictive. Lots of people play football with hockey sticks. We just do whatever. That's the point of games. "

And because you're now in the minority, you can't play Football the proper way at all. You can't even play different games like Cricket, Rounders, or Rugby. Because those games "look too hard" and people have a fit if you even mention something other than their version of Football. So you just leave. That hobby you really like just can't be played at all. And it's filled with arseholes anyway. It's not the worst thing in the world. There's an increasingly shrinking list of other hobbies you like. But it still hurts that something you spent a lot of time on and made friends with has been so thoroughly perverted and destroyed.

No seriously, fuck Matt Mercer. People who constantly tell people how "nice" they are and constantly talk about the "nice" things they do for people are not nice. This should be obvious for the people on this board.

Fuck, I wrote a lot of shit. I'll stop now.
You know, I feel that. I was acquainted with some of the drama kids at my high school. Some of them seemed like genuinely nice, well meaning people...but all of them were obnoxious, self-important, self-absorbed, and thought they were the star of the show (and I was in the emo clique, they were beyond the pale even by our standards). One dude we kind of had a trial run of hanging out with us. Dude started randomly and without warning belting out a show tune when we were standing in line for the midnight showing of X-Men 3. We pretty much excommunicated him permanently, that shit was embarrassing.