Will the 2020s be better? -

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
We're not done yet. I still see the same old shit all over social media. Coronavirus is the 9/11 event, but there's still an Iraqi Freedom coming to finally wash the previous decade's shit away.
Attitudes may remain but actual day to day life has changed completely thanks to the Coronavirus.

But you're right that there's probably still an Iraqi Freedom coming our way, which is a scary thought.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

darkwingosonichugorl

Let me tell you the potential of my balls.
kiwifarms.net
I'm excited to get the Wu Flu shit over and see how society is going to change in many ways. Immigration, border control, SJWs, even social groups in general. Summer/Fall 2020 could really be fun.

A negative I do think is inevitable in the next few years is true incel backlash. Incel communities continue to grow rapidly. It's a matter of time before there's well-constructed mass murders in schools, colleges, and anywhere like Elliot Rodger did. The problem with lost males needs to be seriously addressed eventually.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Attitudes may remain but actual day to day life has changed completely thanks to the Coronavirus.

But you're right that there's probably still an Iraqi Freedom coming our way, which is a scary thought.

I've noticed a specific three-event structure when it comes to the end of cultural decades has been a somewhat recurring thing in American history since the end of the Cold War.

The three events usually follow this same structure...

1. The first event suggests change is imminent but the current cultural zeitgeist and paradigm is still very much in place
2. The second event is a massive black swan event that effectively resets the cultural zeitgeist in the long term
3. The third event effectively kills whatever was left of the previous cultural decade and the rules are completely changed, so to speak.

Granted, this is not a hard rule or anything. It's just a pattern I noticed when looking back at the last three cultural decades of American history.

1980's to 1990's: Fall of Berlin Wall (1989), Fall of the Soviet Union (1991), and the rise of dark horse candidate Bill Clinton (1992)

1990's to 2000's: Columbine (1999), 9/11 (2001), and Iraqi Freedom (2003)

2000's to 2010's: Great Recession (2008.), Occupy Wall Street (2011), and Zimmerman Trial (2013)

2010's to 2020's: Brett Kavanaugh Hearings (2018.), COVID-19 Pandemic (2020), and ??? (202X)

You could also use any number of events in 2019 as the first event in the chain as well, but it's still too early to tell. COVID-19 is too big to ignore and it's clearly the big "9/11" or "Soviet Union Falls" event of the 2020's.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
2010's to 2020's: Brett Kavanaugh Hearings (2018.), COVID-19 Pandemic (2020), and ??? (202X)
War with Iran would seem like the likeliest next step to me, people have already forgotten how close we came thanks to the virus, but that doesn't mean the threat has gone away.

The synchronicity of what you're describing is really weird, why do things always change so drastically decade to decade in modern times? Dates are supposed to just be arbitrary numbers, right? So why does it seem like reality itself operates on human rules, when even something not directly in our control like a virus comes about at the end and start of a decade?

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
War with Iran would seem like the likeliest next step to me, people have already forgotten how close we came thanks to the virus, but that doesn't mean the threat has gone away.

The synchronicity of what you're describing is really weird, why do things always change so drastically decade to decade in modern times? Dates are supposed to just be arbitrary numbers, right? So why does it seem like reality itself operates on human rules, when even something not directly in our control like a virus comes about at the end and start of a decade?
Honestly, I'd say it's due to technology.

We're more connected than ever, not just in the online sense of the word but also physically with things like global trade and air travel. Even earlier mass media like TV and Radio in the 20th Century rapidly sped up the changing of cultural zeitgeists.

The phenomenon of the cultural decades is a recent one, going back to the 20th Century as far as I can tell.

World War I was a huge game changer that effectively ended the status quo that was established at the end of the Napoleonic era and come to define the Victorian/Edwardian and Belle Epoque eras of the 19th Century and early 20th Century. Then came the Roaring 20's in North America and the widespread cynicism and nihilism in Europe, both of which ended with the Great Depression and eventually World War II.

From World War II onward, there was a massive boom in mass media and rapidly developing new technologies in the Western world that has largely gone unchecked, especially in the United States.

Combine that with extreme economic globalism, and you get a constantly changing cultural paradigm.

Tellingly, the longest "cultural decade" is also the earliest, the 1950's.

The 1950's cultural zeitgeist had its roots in post-WWII economic prosperity and the beginning of the Cold War in the late 1940's and continued up until the Kennedy years, coming to an end in 1963 with the JFK assassination, the military escalation in Vietnam, and also pop culture events like the British Invasion and the decline of the Hays Code (the code was officially abolished in 1968, but was unenforced for most of the 1960's)

As the world became more interconnected and mass communication began to expand in its reach and access, the culture began to shift ever more rapidly.

Last edited:

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I'd say it's due to technology.

We're more connected than ever, not just in the online sense of the word but also physically with things like global trade and air travel. Even earlier mass media like TV and Radio in the 20th Century rapidly sped up the changing of cultural zeitgeists.

The phenomenon of the cultural decades is a recent one, going back to the 20th Century as far as I can tell.

World War I was a huge game changer that effectively ended the status quo that was established at the end of the Napoleonic era and come to define the Victorian/Edwardian and Belle Epoque eras of the 19th Century and early 20th Century. Then came the Roaring 20's in North America and the widespread cynicism and nihilism in Europe, both of which ended with the Great Depression and eventually World War II.

From World War II onward, there was a massive boom in mass media and rapidly developing new technologies in the Western world that has largely gone unchecked, especially in the United States.

Combine that with extreme economic globalism, and you get a constantly changing cultural paradigm.

Tellingly, the longest "cultural decade" is also the earliest, the 1950's.

The 1950's cultural zeitgeist had its roots in post-WWII economic prosperity and the beginning of the Cold War in the late 1940's and continued up until the Kennedy years, coming to an end in 1963 with the JFK assassination, the military escalation in Vietnam, and also pop culture events the British Invasion and the decline of the Hays Code (the code was officially abolished in 1968, but was unenforced for most of the 1960's)

As the world became more interconnected and mass communication began to expand in its reach and access, the culture began to shift ever more rapidly.
So will the world spin every 5 years at some point? The way it trembles by the decade is already worrisome enough from the perspective of someone born in the late 90s let alone what kids will grow up with now.

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So will the world spin every 5 years at some point? The way it trembles by the decade is already worrisome enough from the perspective of someone born in the late 90s let alone what kids will grow up with now.
Possibly, and you could make the argument that the 2010's cultural zeitgeist was actually two mini-cultural decades lasting approximately half a decade each, the first being around 2008-2013 or so and coinciding with Obama's first term and the Great Recession and then followed by the "Current Year" SJW zeitgeist of 2014 onward.

But I think the 2020's are going to be the point where the trend either breaks or doesn't get any more rapid. Events like the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the growing backlash against the economic globalism and neoliberalism will probably change things up in a massive way.

Technology will still be big and globalism will still have some presence, but depending on how things play out in the coming months and years, there could be a lot of major shifts on all levels.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone at all thinks that this derangement and twitter wokefest will die with Trumps administration you are completely wrong. Doesn't matter who it is, the next Republican frontrunner is going to be hitler 4.0 like Trump was 3.0 and Dubya 2.0. It isnt going to stop if they get their way on this one. Look how the left has already been demanding a mile every time someone gives them an inch. This momentum cannot be reversed so long as the same people are in power, Trump or no Trump.
Dubya got plenty of hate, but it was more like "lol look at this idiot". It was much, much more light hearted, and a lot of his criticism was about the war on terror, not a bunch of accusations of racism or the "grab 'em" comment.

Trump Derangement Syndrome drove countless people completely insane, driving friends and family apart and causing countless celebrities to openly ask for his murder, which is supposed to be illegal, but I guess that's just not being enforced?

It's a night and day difference, and I don't think anyone's ever seen so many people lose their minds over a president before.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Possibly, and you could make the argument that the 2010's cultural zeitgeist was actually two mini-cultural decades lasting approximately half a decade each, the first being around 2008-2013 or so and coinciding with Obama's first term and the Great Recession and then followed by the "Current Year" SJW zeitgeist of 2014 onward.

But I think the 2020's are going to be the point where the trend either breaks or doesn't get any more rapid. Events like the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the growing backlash against the economic globalism and neoliberalism will probably change things up in a massive way.

Technology will still be big and globalism will still have some presence, but depending on how things play out in the coming months and years, there could be a lot of major shifts on all levels.
The 2010s was indeed a very bifurcated decade, the first chunk was completely different than the latter half, to where it really was almost like two decades rolled into one.

Dubya got plenty of hate, but it was more like "lol look at this idiot". It was much, much more light hearted, and a lot of his criticism was about the war on terror, not a bunch of accusations of racism or the "grab 'em" comment.

Trump Derangement Syndrome drove countless people completely insane, driving friends and family apart and causing countless celebrities to openly ask for his murder, which is supposed to be illegal, but I guess that's just not being enforced?

It's a night and day difference, and I don't think anyone's ever seen so many people lose their minds over a president before.
Some people did take their hatred of Bush to levels that mirror today's Trump derangement syndrome, but it was a lot rarer, the majority of it was like you said a lot more light hearted and a lot more grounded in reality than today's smearing shit on the walls level of insanity.

The irony is if liberals still acted today like they acted under Bush things would be a lot harder for Trump, it would be easier to laugh at him and see him as "uncool" like Bush was.

Because let's face it, in a surface level way the idea of Donald Trump as President sounds like it should be a bad thing, provided you remove any and all context, in context however you learn it's actually a good thing, especially when he's compared to what the left has become.

Because if you're going to approach politics from the simple angle of what's "cool" and "uncool" nothing in history has ever been more uncool than a fat, ugly, shrieking dyed hair feminist.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 2010s was indeed a very bifurcated decade, the first chunk was completely different than the latter half, to where it really was almost like two decades rolled into one.

Some people did take their hatred of Bush to levels that mirror today's Trump derangement syndrome, but it was a lot rarer, the majority of it was like you said a lot more light hearted and a lot more grounded in reality than today's smearing shit on the walls level of insanity.

The irony is if liberals still acted today like they acted under Bush things would be a lot harder for Trump, it would be easier to laugh at him and see him as "uncool" like Bush was.

Because let's face it, in a surface level way the idea of Donald Trump as President sounds like it should be a bad thing, provided you remove any and all context, in context however you learn it's actually a good thing, especially when he's compared to what the left has become.

Because if you're going to approach politics from the simple angle of what's "cool" and "uncool" nothing in history has ever been more uncool than a fat, ugly, shrieking dyed hair feminist.
Liberals generally hated on Bush for being pro-big business and pro-war. Now they want more war and adore big business.

Just look at Maddow, The Kressensteins and Eric Garland.

Hell, liberals have literally embraced Max Boot as a key thinker.

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
If Trump gets 4 more years, it could turn the rest of this disappointing year.

I've been having better luck this year than last, at last, so despite all this, it's a slight win for me, at least.

A negative I do think is inevitable in the next few years is true incel backlash. Incel communities continue to grow rapidly. It's a matter of time before there's well-constructed mass murders in schools, colleges, and anywhere like Elliot Rodger did. The problem with lost males needs to be seriously addressed eventually.
You give incels far, far too much credit, my friend.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've mentioned this before as have several others, but it bears repeating that COVID-19 is a game changer and it's going to be one of those things that will set the tone for the cultural zeitgeist of the 2020's. I don't know if the 2020's will be better, but they will definitely be less woke.

@Ashy the Angel is wrong in his predictions of society perpetually trending leftward and so are all the /pol/ doomers who think that the lefty zeitgeist of "Current Year" will be dominant forever.

We're not going to get more woke after this and all those trannies are bound to lose along with most of the other SJW pet causes and ideologies, since the average person stops giving a shit about some neon-haired Millennial's pronouns when there's a goddamn plague going on and it's causing a massive economic shutdown.

Even if you want to blame capitalism and wypipo/The Tribe of Judah for all the world's ills these days, capitalism is here to stay but the hyper-global corporatism of the post-Cold War era might not be (or at least it might not be as prevalent as it was before)

I think the real issue is going to be how intense this pandemic is going to get and how long the intensity will last. We're already in a deep dark spot as it is, but is this merely the peak of it or is it going to get worse? And how long is this going to go on?

There's also the issue of what happens after it's all said and done. The American media shilling for China is not going to go over well once this pandemic finally pans out.

Even the European and Australian media outlets are calling out the Chinese government for their role in COVID-19's severity, and the Chinese money that underpinned the woke media titans can't be relied on right now, which will cause massive changes in Hollywood, the media, and pop culture. I don't think we'll see the complete death of movie theaters or the film studios, but we'll definitely see a major change.

It's fairly obvious at this point that this pandemic will be a cultural and political game changer like 9/11 and the Great Recession were. I doubt it will be the end of the world, but we will feel an impact even after it's over and done with. The change is very real, but will it be a change for the better? Who knows?

Last edited:

The Last Stand

Kiwi Farms Popularity Judge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've mentioned this before as have several others, but it bears repeating that COVID-19 is a game changer and it's going to be one of those things that will set the tone for the cultural zeitgeist of the 2020's. I don't know if the 2020's will be better, but they will definitely be less woke.
Case in point, "influencers" on social media doing "pranks" by contaminating public places, dismissing legitimate criticism about COVID-19 as "racist", several "woke" media being commerical failures, the severe victim mentality of how COVID-19 affects MY sexuality, race, lifestyle the most.

People are getting sick of being lied to. They are getting sick of being lectured. They are sick of pandering idiots being just as bigoted and disrespectful as the opposition.

Literally people are getting sick and dying. I hate to say it, but people are more concerned about how to pay their bills or whether their loved ones will make it than whatever fringe politics are "popular" nowadays.

If it takes a epidemic like THIS for modern society to hit the reset button, then clearly we have gone too far.

Senior Lexmechanic

Now Senior Lexmaniac
kiwifarms.net
Case in point, "influencers" on social media doing "pranks" by contaminating public places, dismissing legitimate criticism about COVID-19 as "racist", several "woke" media being commerical failures, the severe victim mentality of how COVID-19 affects MY sexuality, race, lifestyle the most.

People are getting sick of being lied to. They are getting sick of being lectured. They are sick of pandering idiots being just as bigoted and disrespectful as the opposition.

Literally people are getting sick and dying. I hate to say it, but people are more concerned about how to pay their bills or whether their loved ones will make it than whatever fringe politics are "popular" nowadays.

If it takes a epidemic like THIS for modern society to hit the reset button, then clearly we have gone too far.
My dearest hope is that this pandemic serves as a uniting factor, ironically enough, for the country. When an immediate problem like this tears through a nation without discriminating on race or class lines, and people have to worry about day-to-day life over politics, generally we see everyone but the truly die-hards bleed away from fringe politics.

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My dearest hope is that this pandemic serves as a uniting factor, ironically enough, for the country. When an immediate problem like this tears through a nation without discriminating on race or class lines, and people have to worry about day-to-day life over politics, generally we see everyone but the truly die-hards bleed away from fringe politics.
It is absolutely discriminsting on race and class lines though: It is raping through Cities while half of the rural areas still don't even have a single case yet; New York City has more cases than most countries while Upsate New York is only starting to get cases.

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
The Pluto TV internet and mobile app have a channel dedicated to fully remastered HD version of Baywatch so maybe it is getting better. Its so much more better than the movie lol.

Reactions: Syaoran Li
Tags
None