Will the 2020s be better? -

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

FuckedUp

kiwifarms.net
My dearest hope is that this pandemic serves as a uniting factor, ironically enough, for the country. When an immediate problem like this tears through a nation without discriminating on race or class lines, and people have to worry about day-to-day life over politics, generally we see everyone but the truly die-hards bleed away from fringe politics.
Nah dude, it's gonna be a bloodbath of epic proportions. Fuck toilet paper, hoard popcorn instead.

Reactions: Dr W

Wonderful Id

kiwifarms.net
My dearest hope is that this pandemic serves as a uniting factor, ironically enough, for the country. When an immediate problem like this tears through a nation without discriminating on race or class lines, and people have to worry about day-to-day life over politics, generally we see everyone but the truly die-hards bleed away from fringe politics.
The Dr. Manhattan approach eh. Here's hoping.

It'd be great to get the extremes out of both sides of politics so people could actually work together for the country like normal human beings.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Almost May already... Idk, looking pretty shitty atm.
Agreed.

Hopefully, just 2020 will be shitty and the 2020's will be okay, but I'm not holding my breath.

HELL FUCKING NO.
I've always believed that things would get massively worse before they can begin to get better and this was even before COVID-19.

If we're lucky, then the ongoing shitshow of a year that is 2020 is just the darkest hour before the dawn and this is merely the excruciating death throes of the 2010's.

If we're not lucky, then we're all turbo-fucked and @ToroidalBoat was right about the culture wars and the SJW zeitgeist of the 2010's being ended by cataclysmic catastrophe instead of mere social and cultural backlash.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If we're not lucky, then we're all turbo-fucked and @ToroidalBoat was right about the culture wars and the SJW zeitgeist of the 2010's being ended by cataclysmic catastrophe instead of mere social and cultural backlash.
I mentioned earlier that I seem to be stuck at a public school level of knowledge of it -- so hopefully I'm wrong there.

But at least the silver lining of a cataclysm is that anyone emerging from it could cast off "Current Year" once and for all. Really optimistically, it could even make the endless shitshow that has been human history finally start to really improve.

Last edited:

no_mad_johnny

not mad just disappointed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kiwifarms.net
It will only get worse

Keep in mind that I've a bit of a doomer mindset tho.

Personally, I do believe that the IDpol bubble will burst and woke media will become increasingly unpopular.

Besides these positive developments there's plenty of reason to believe that we're about to face a global economic crisis of rising unemployment numbers. The expansion of unopposed government and corporative overreach and public surveillance doesn't paint a bright picture of the future either.

Tech industry hasn't been particularly interesting in a while and I'm not seeing a significant outcry against closed source technology, DMCA, DRM and copyright excesses which only leads me to believe that the internet may become even more of a walled garden for corporative shilling.

Facebook hasn't died yet and Twitter will exist for as long as politicians use it and that in itself is already proof that the 2020's won't be any better.

Maybe synthetic meat will finally reach grocery stores and nuclear and solar energy will go mainstream.

I guess the only good thing about this decade is that it's a lot easier to be autonomous and develop your own web platform or 3D print whatever nonsense you want. Also streaming —it's pretty neat.

Unog

My political affiliation is "rétard"
kiwifarms.net
It'd be great to get the extremes out of both sides of politics so people could actually work together for the country like normal human beings.
While I agree with the sentiment, it's important to remember that the concepts of democracy and personal liberty were once considered extreme.

That said, to get OT this decade's off to the start I kinda figured it would have.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

kūhaku

I've become bored of a world like that.
kiwifarms.net
I never understood people who make jokes about how bad the current year is, as if implying previous years were good. The world was never good, it was always shitty - so why complain how hard each year is kicking your ass? Celebrities die, economies crash, shit happens, and it’s going to happen every year for as long as society exists. It’s optimistic to assume there will be any “good years.”

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never understood people who make jokes about how bad the current year is, as if implying previous years were good.
Earth has always been a hellish place, since at least the dawn of civilization. But at least in the past there wasn't a seemingly endless cyberpunk dystopia of identity politics and coronavirus.

Before Current Year, you could always enjoy nature and talk in person. Now we live in isolating mechanistic cities -- which have become like giant drive-thrus -- full of smartphone zombies.

And before Current Year, people had a lot more privacy. Governments were limited by lack of technology. You could freely gather without "social distancing." And of course, healthy and natural behaviors weren't endlessly demonized as "problematic."

So I guess "good years" can be relative.

Last edited:

The Crow

Forever Changed
kiwifarms.net
I, for one, look forward to the inevitable worldwide economic collapse that will cause millions of people, worldwide, to go absolutely insane, while the smart people who have been preparing for said collapse, lock themselves indoors from the rest of the world, since those pieces of paper we call money will only be good for toilet paper, or perhaps, to keep a fire going to keep yourself from freezing during the winter, when you won't even be able to afford to pay your utilities anymore. So working a 9-5 will be completely pointless during this period anyway, even if you were to find one during the upcoming depression...

Ryotaro Dojima

Now on PC!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's been so many times the world should have gone to shit, let's be real. Cuban missile crisis, Stanislav Petrov, the 46 cent computer chip, aids and such. We've managed to skate by far too long. This is just a culling. You die, you die.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

5ever a crab

kiwifarms.net
I understand the doomer thoughts of the Orwellian dystopia, but I'm seeing basically everyone agree that the pandemic was caused due to extreme censorships. There are automated china bots spouting misinformation, so its just a small minority.

Overall I'm approaching it assertively, hoping not to get too extreme on both ends (blissful ignorance vs full on suicidal blackpill).

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I never understood people who make jokes about how bad the current year is, as if implying previous years were good. The world was never good, it was always shitty - so why complain how hard each year is kicking your ass? Celebrities die, economies crash, shit happens, and it’s going to happen every year for as long as society exists. It’s optimistic to assume there will be any “good years.”
There really was a period of time there in the 1990s where it seemed like things were getting good.

It was in hindsight hilariously short lived, those that live through it can't help but wonder what happened to it and if we could get back to it.

Tags
None