Will the 2020s be better? -

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

The Last Stand

13 - Joan Crawford Special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
#newnormal propaganda
How is a "new normal" a propaganda?

COVID-19 proved that if we just go back to the way things were, we are prone to repeat the same mistakes we did now.

The new normal would hopefully be a reform in health care, essential workers, the economy and how we treat each other.

The death of the toxic MeToo movement you could argue is how we view social issues for now on.

Stuck in Corners

Yonkers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How is a "new normal" a propaganda?

COVID-19 proved that if we just go back to the way things were, we are prone to repeat the same mistakes we did now.
The term just has me skeptical about the future policies that will come about once this is all over. Forced vaccinations that even a religious exemption can't save you from could be a possibility. Some people don't want there rights infringed upon.

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, the 2020s aren't so bad. Volatile yes, but certainly eventful and in a genuinely world shaking way. It's like a manic catharsis after the bitter depresiveness of the mid-late 2010s.
Part of it is just how sluggish politics have been since 2000 and I dont mean just in America but the world over, lots of jostling and saber rattling but very little movement; a world held in political arrest. In that regard I share your catharsis, its like we discovered realpolitik all over again and suddenly we're doing away with the facade of global civility and cooperation.

Also this thread aged amazingly and we're only about halfway into year 1. amazing!

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
COVID-19 will bring about massive changes and in how we go about living for the rest of the upcoming years in the same fashion that 9/11 brought about the Patriot act. We're already seeing the effects already with businesses losing money overnight and going out of business, food shortages, an economy that is probably on the verge of a collapse, #newnormal propaganda and China. I expect a lot of social and especially financial hardships down the road.

On the pop culture side of things, this is bringing the cumulative death of the metoo movement. The movement is reaching it's endpoint with Weinstein going to jail along with them disrespecting Kobe Bryant's death serving as red flags. Joe Bidens situation with Tara Reade will probably be the nail in the coffin with it all because at the end of the day, they always eat after their own.

With a Trump re-election the SJW fad will either go two ways. Either 1). They triple down on their outrage and go out in a blaze of glory or 2). Go underground and accept the fact that 2016 wasn't no joke. If he doesn't get re-elected, they're still gonna have a hard time grabbing attention due to individual financial difficulty along with the companies that pander to them losing money due to the virus. Also keep into mind with their video game blunders like TLOS 2 leaks and Sony damage control crusade, people are starting to wake up and take note of how vapid most of them are.

My feelings are still mixed though. For every negative there's always a positive I guess.
They're going to keep cancelling people and institutions will keep listening. They already created the #metoo policies, it's too late.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
There are several troubling confluences that, if left unchecked, promise to make the 2020s the most turbulent decade of the late 20th- early 21st centuries.

1.) Income stagnation & instability- makes it harder for people to live comfortably and ignore politics
2.) Far-left pervasion & partisanship through society, academia, & society- tearing apart society and again, making it harder for people to avoid politics (i.e. even with Nascar)
3.) The spread of evil knowledge- Refining of political and agitation/psychological techniques (i.e. with BLM, Antifa, and professional bad faith protestors)
4.) The widening information panopticon- as increasing amounts of information are collected online, it becomes harder to hide

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are several troubling confluences that, if left unchecked, promise to make the 2020s the most turbulent decade of the late 20th- early 21st centuries.

1.) Income stagnation & instability- makes it harder for people to live comfortably and ignore politics
2.) Far-left pervasion & partisanship through society, academia, & society- tearing apart society and again, making it harder for people to avoid politics (i.e. even with Nascar)
3.) The spread of evil knowledge- Refining of political and agitation/psychological techniques (i.e. with BLM, Antifa, and professional bad faith protestors)
4.) The widening information panopticon- as increasing amounts of information are collected online, it becomes harder to hide
You do bring up good points, but at the same time things have become so turbulent in 2020 by itself that it's likely the tipping point year. The last two weeks alone may have caused the far left to overplay its hand. We'll see how things play out in the summer and the fall.

If Trump wins a second term AND the college debt bubble finally bursts under his watch, then it really is game over for the far left. A Trump victory in 2020 alone is enough of a severe blow to the American Left to slow it down, but if the academic debt bubble bursts in 2021-2023, then I'd expect academia to be completely crippled and be forced to restructure.

All those worthless "grievance studies" majors will be the first to get axed in that scenario.

@Dom Cruise pointed something out in a few threads and I'm inclined to agree with him on it.

He said that 2010 was an extremely chill and fun year and a lot of people had an optimistic view that things could finally get better when the worst of the Great Recession was finally behind us.

It wasn't until 2011 that things started to go haywire with Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring and ultimately culminating in the pretentious woke malaise that dominated most of the 2010's and got us to where we are now.

There's a possibility that the 2020's might be like a bizarro mirror image of the 2010's, where it starts out batshit insane and full of apocalyptic dread but then starts to slowly but surely get better or at least more stable and calm.

Looking back on 2010 and comparing it to the 2010's as a whole, 2010 was a pretty uneventful and quiet year compared to 2011-2019. The only things I can really remember on a national scale that were a big deal were the midterms, the WikiLeaks scandals, and the BP Deepwater Horizon disaster.

Again, I'm probably being a bit too optimistic on this, but anything can happen.

Personally, I think 2020 will keep being a shitshow of a year but the 2020's as a whole will be a lot more calm or at least quiet and anodyne.

Best case scenario is that it becomes a more "based" cultural decade where pop culture decides to become edgy as a backlash to the pretentious wokeness of the 2010's and it becomes so over the top that it puts the 90's and 2000's to shame, and a lot of funny fandom lolcows and spergs emerge from it.

Most likely scenario is that 2020 will have been such a horrifying year for most people that the era of 2021-2029 will be a lot more sedate by comparison barring some unforeseen event like a giant meteor or World War III.

Again, this is going on the assumption that Trump can somehow pull a win in 2020 and the DNC fully cuts the line and disavows the wokesters to save their sorry asses.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
You do bring up good points, but at the same time things have become so turbulent in 2020 by itself that it's likely the tipping point year. The last two weeks alone may have caused the far left to overplay its hand. We'll see how things play out in the summer and the fall.

If Trump wins a second term AND the college debt bubble finally bursts under his watch, then it really is game over for the far left. A Trump victory in 2020 alone is enough of a severe blow to the American Left to slow it down, but if the academic debt bubble bursts in 2021-2023, then I'd expect academia to be completely crippled and be forced to restructure.

All those worthless "grievance studies" majors will be the first to get axed in that scenario.

@Dom Cruise pointed something out in a few threads and I'm inclined to agree with him on it.

He said that 2010 was an extremely chill and fun year and a lot of people had an optimistic view that things could finally get better when the worst of the Great Recession was finally behind us.

It wasn't until 2011 that things started to go haywire with Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring and ultimately culminating in the pretentious woke malaise that dominated most of the 2010's and got us to where we are now.

There's a possibility that the 2020's might be like a bizarro mirror image of the 2010's, where it starts out batshit insane and full of apocalyptic dread but then starts to slowly but surely get better or at least more stable and calm.

Looking back on 2010 and comparing it to the 2010's as a whole, 2010 was a pretty uneventful and quiet year compared to 2011-2019. The only things I can really remember on a national scale that were a big deal were the midterms, the WikiLeaks scandals, and the BP Deepwater Horizon disaster.

Again, I'm probably being a bit too optimistic on this, but anything can happen.

Personally, I think 2020 will keep being a shitshow of a year but the 2020's as a whole will be a lot more calm or at least quiet and anodyne.

Best case scenario is that it becomes a more "based" cultural decade where pop culture decides to become edgy as a backlash to the pretentious wokeness of the 2010's and it becomes so over the top that it puts the 90's and 2000's to shame, and a lot of funny fandom lolcows and spergs emerge from it.

Most likely scenario is that 2020 will have been such a horrifying year for most people that the era of 2021-2029 will be a lot more sedate by comparison barring some unforeseen event like a giant meteor or World War III.

Again, this is going on the assumption that Trump can somehow pull a win in 2020 and the DNC fully cuts the line and disavows the wokesters to save their sorry asses.
Yup, it's all dependent on the election results and the education bubble popping. I could see things becoming more calm with a Biden victory as the subversion returns to the shadows (though the heat isn't turned off and things just get worse gradually), or a violent final stand with a Trump victory.

IMO, the culture war isn't over until the education system is fixed. Funding needs to be cut for the most extreme of universities and colleges, and nation-wide school choice needs to be implemented to start dismantling the public school-union juggernaut. Same goes with the internet and social media.

Otherwise, you're still going to be fighting against new generations of indoctrinated individuals who are still firmly in the liberal info bubble, which will make it a losing battle.

The Last Stand

13 - Joan Crawford Special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I doubt Trump would care that the debt bubble would burst under his presidency.

With how some people are reacting to BLM and the riots, this MAY be the final nail in the coffin with the identity politics.

That can't come fast enough.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
At the start of the whole Kung Flu fiasco, I was actually optimistic about the future, that the world was finally seeing China's incompetence unfolded and maybe over time their power would weaken and destabilize the globohomo idiocy. But now, between the lockdowns, the riots, MeToo coming back with a vengeance, the very recent and swift shutdowns of any political dissent, no. We're fucked. Just these past few months alone my positive outlook on life and the future has been pummeled repeatedly into an unrecognizable pile of goo.

It's all I can do anymore to walk that tightrope of maintaining sanity while keeping an eye on developments without falling off into the pool of blackpills...

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net

2010 really was a magical year looking back, I enjoyed it at the time, I had a great time that year, but I still didn't appreciate it enough because I didn't know how bad things would get afterward.

But yeah, 2010, there was a real feeling that we were moving past the post 9/11 era and that it was soon enough that the 90s vision of the "new millennium" being a wonderful thing still felt within our grasp.

But 2010 turned out to only be the eye of the storm.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2010 really was a magical year looking back, I enjoyed it at the time, I had a great time that year, but I still didn't appreciate it enough because I didn't know how bad things would get afterward.

But yeah, 2010, there was a real feeling that we were moving past the post 9/11 era and that it was soon enough that the 90s vision of the "new millennium" being a wonderful thing still felt within our grasp.

But 2010 turned out to only be the eye of the storm.
Agreed, and looking back on 2010, I've noticed a few things.

The whole "90's Kids" memes and genuine nostalgia for the 90's was HUGE back in 2010 and it even carried over into 2011 and 2012 before becoming completely played out, and while a lot of that had to do with the Late Millennials finally entering adulthood en masse along with the Core Millennials entering their early-mid 20's "quarter life crisis" years and looking back on a simpler and generally more vibrant and prosperous time, I also think there was a little more to it as well in America,

I think a lot of that brief optimism and sincere 90's nostalgia at the start of the 2010's probably was because people thought the turbulence of the late 2000's was finally over.

Looking back, I get the impression that a lot of people had naively assumed that things would slowly turn back to a late 90's/early 2000's mindset now that the worst of the Great Recession was officially over and the Democrats controlled all three of the branches of government.

But it was also becoming more obvious that Obama was a neoliberal corporatist who continued all of Bush's worst policies but with a proto-woke veneer and while the recession was officially over in 2010, there was a lot of economic stagnation and a lot of people in the lower and middle classes were still struggling financially, and by 2011 a lot of that initial optimism was starting to wane but I don't think it truly died until around 2013 or so.

Really, I think the GOP taking control of Congress in the 2010 midterms followed by the rather unexpected Arab Spring and rise of Occupy Wall Street scared the fuck out of the DNC and the corporate bigwigs, and that's when "Current Year" woke culture really started slowly creeping in

Occupy got quickly co-opted and became more or less the focal point and breeding ground for the wider SJW movement of the 2010's to coalesce into what it is now, and when both the 2014 and 2016 midterms were Democrat losses (with 2016 being won by a populist outsider no less) and the "Blue Wave" of 2018 turned out to be a blueish-purple splash at best, I think that's when it got really bad.

2020 is the proverbial 11th Hour, and it's to be seen whether or not it's going to be the darkest hour just before the dawn or the dim twilight before the real nightmare begins.

I think we'll have a more clear idea of what to expect after 4th of July weekend is over and done with and we get closer to November, with the election being the big moment of truth.

If Biden wins, it's over. The neoliberal bigwigs will have won and achieved their goal of making sure 2016 was a fluke. The Woke Left will be kept around as useful idiots and attack dogs for the corporate elites. Game over, man! Game over!

If Trump wins, I get the feeling the Woke Left will do something really stupid even for them and finally piss away any corporate goodwill they might have (assuming they won't have already done it before the election) and the neoliberals will have no choice but to privately admit they missed their shot and 2016 was not a fluke.

Expect memory-holing corporate support of Black Lives Matter and major crackdowns on far left activists. Certain major academic bigwigs who were too visible might get declared persona non grata unofficially, particularly if they're white (or at least not black) and really egregious like Tim Wise or irrelevant but infamous like Anita Sarkeesian (since she's broke and probably used up the last remaining influences she had in the gaming industry to gain audience with Neil for The Last of Us Part 2)

The neoliberals will retreat, try to recoup financial losses since COVID-19 also took a baseball bat to their foreign assets (and because Trump will likely accelerate his trade war if he secures four more years) and try to subtly disavow the SJW's to pacify the angry silent majority while the big shots come up with another plan for 2022 and 2024.

Again, that's IF Trump can win a second term. So don't go counting your chickens before they hatch because we're not out of the woods just yet.

The absolute best case full whitepill bloomer outcome is Trump winning a second term and more or less cramming as many executive orders and legislation through before the 2022 mid-terms and while that goes on, the academic debt bubble bursting under his watch (bonus points if it happens after the 2022 midterms so it doesn't affect the outcome of that too much)

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Agreed, and looking back on 2010, I've noticed a few things.

The whole "90's Kids" memes and genuine nostalgia for the 90's was HUGE back in 2010 and it even carried over into 2011 and 2012 before becoming completely played out, and while a lot of that had to do with the Late Millennials finally entering adulthood en masse along with the Core Millennials entering their early-mid 20's "quarter life crisis" years and looking back on a simpler and generally more vibrant and prosperous time, I also think there was a little more to it as well in America,

I think a lot of that brief optimism and sincere 90's nostalgia at the start of the 2010's probably was because people thought the turbulence of the late 2000's was finally over.

Looking back, I get the impression that a lot of people had naively assumed that things would slowly turn back to a late 90's/early 2000's mindset now that the worst of the Great Recession was officially over and the Democrats controlled all three of the branches of government.

But it was also becoming more obvious that Obama was a neoliberal corporatist who continued all of Bush's worst policies but with a proto-woke veneer and while the recession was officially over in 2010, there was a lot of economic stagnation and a lot of people in the lower and middle classes were still struggling financially, and by 2011 a lot of that initial optimism was starting to wane but I don't think it truly died until around 2013 or so.

Really, I think the GOP taking control of Congress in the 2010 midterms followed by the rather unexpected Arab Spring and rise of Occupy Wall Street scared the fuck out of the DNC and the corporate bigwigs, and that's when "Current Year" woke culture really started slowly creeping in

Occupy got quickly co-opted and became more or less the focal point and breeding ground for the wider SJW movement of the 2010's to coalesce into what it is now, and when both the 2014 and 2016 midterms were Democrat losses (with 2016 being won by a populist outsider no less) and the "Blue Wave" of 2018 turned out to be a blueish-purple splash at best, I think that's when it got really bad.

2020 is the proverbial 11th Hour, and it's to be seen whether or not it's going to be the darkest hour just before the dawn or the dim twilight before the real nightmare begins.

I think we'll have a more clear idea of what to expect after 4th of July weekend is over and done with and we get closer to November, with the election being the big moment of truth.

If Biden wins, it's over. The neoliberal bigwigs will have won and achieved their goal of making sure 2016 was a fluke. The Woke Left will be kept around as useful idiots and attack dogs for the corporate elites. Game over, man! Game over!

If Trump wins, I get the feeling the Woke Left will do something really stupid even for them and finally piss away any corporate goodwill they might have (assuming they won't have already done it before the election) and the neoliberals will have no choice but to privately admit they missed their shot and 2016 was not a fluke.

Expect memory-holing corporate support of Black Lives Matter and major crackdowns on far left activists. Certain major academic bigwigs who were too visible might get declared persona non grata unofficially, particularly if they're white (or at least not black) and really egregious like Tim Wise or irrelevant but infamous like Anita Sarkeesian (since she's broke and probably used up the last remaining influences she had in the gaming industry to gain audience with Neil for The Last of Us Part 2)

The neoliberals will retreat, try to recoup financial losses since COVID-19 also took a baseball bat to their foreign assets (and because Trump will likely accelerate his trade war if he secures four more years) and try to subtly disavow the SJW's to pacify the angry silent majority while the big shots come up with another plan for 2022 and 2024.

Again, that's IF Trump can win a second term. So don't go counting your chickens before they hatch because we're not out of the woods just yet.

The absolute best case full whitepill bloomer outcome is Trump winning a second term and more or less cramming as many executive orders and legislation through before the 2022 mid-terms and while that goes on, the academic debt bubble bursting under his watch (bonus points if it happens after the 2022 midterms so it doesn't affect the outcome of that too much)
I’m personally of the opinion that the woke left is dying regardless of who becomes president... all the election will decide is how long it takes. If Biden wins then the woke left will get a life extension. It will continue to be around for some years but during this time period it will gradually fade out (kind of like the reverse of 2012–2020.) If trump wins then things will get very bad very fast. The woke left will quadruple down and the next few months after the election if not all of 2021 will be an absolute nightmare. However it will burn out a lot quicker due to the mask finally managing to fullymslip off the woke left face showing everyone around it just how ugly It really is

Tags
None