Will the 2020s be better? -

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

Return of the Freaker

【FOREVER FORNEVER】
kiwifarms.net
Expanding on my last post, the 2010s could very well be a long cultural decade like the 50s. I'd argue the 50s began in 1949 after the transition events of the Berlin blockade/airlift, the fall of Nationalist China, and the first Soviet nuclear test. The 50s were a pretty steady decade of du-wop and early rock along with greaser and beatnik cultures. Lots of technological progress but also cold war paranoia and intensification. Also successful Soviet subversion and bubbling race tensions. The decade would end in 1963 after the building of the Berlin wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam, and of course the Kennedy assassination. I think a Long 2010s is not out of the question.

Aidan

kiwifarms.net
Expanding on my last post, the 2010s could very well be a long cultural decade like the 50s. I'd argue the 50s began in 1949 after the transition events of the Berlin blockade/airlift, the fall of Nationalist China, and the first Soviet nuclear test. The 50s were a pretty steady decade of du-wop and early rock along with greaser and beatnik cultures. Lots of technological progress but also cold war paranoia and intensification. Also successful Soviet subversion and bubbling race tensions. The decade would end in 1963 after the building of the Berlin wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam, and of course the Kennedy assassination. I think a Long 2010s is not out of the question.
Please stop saying things I don't like to read but begrudgingly agree with.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dunno, I think the 2010's might already be a long cultural decade that actually began at the tail end of the 2000's with Obama and the Great Recession. That more or less set the stage for the culture going to shit and for the political moonbat lunacy of "Current Year" since neither Occupy nor the Woke Left that followed in its wake could not happen without the Great Recession while the Great Recession's global effects on the EU and the Arab Spring in 2011 set the stage for the big shitshow in Europe right now.

You know the meme of "2007 was the year the internet went to shit" right? I think there's several reasons why 2007 gets focused on aside from the obvious technological changes like the iPhone and the proliferation of the Seventh Generation gaming consoles or the launch of Facebook and Twitter in earnest.

@Dom Cruise and I have both mentioned the fact that there was a weird aura to 2007, like you could literally feel the change in the air and it was obvious we were headed in an entirely new direction.

The 2000's was really one of the shortest cultural decades in the post-WWII era, more or less stretching from the latter half of 2001 to about the end of 2007 or so.

I'm hoping the 2010's aren't an ultra-long cultural decade like the 1950's were, but who knows?

Return of the Freaker

【FOREVER FORNEVER】
kiwifarms.net
You know the meme of "2007 was the year the internet went to shit" right? I think there's several reasons why 2007 gets focused on aside from the obvious technological changes like the iPhone and the proliferation of the Seventh Generation gaming consoles or the launch of Facebook and Twitter in earnest.

@Dom Cruise and I have both mentioned the fact that there was a weird aura to 2007, like you could literally feel the change in the air and it was obvious we were headed in an entirely new direction.
2007 was definitely odd. Aside from all of that, I recall noticing in 06-08 that there were increasing amounts of TV ads for debt consolidation services, mortgage conversion services, and refinancing services. In hindsight, it was very obviously the lead-in to the 2008 crash with so many borrowing outside their means, especially with the Clinton home lending policies. At the time, it seemed weird and like something was coming, but I couldn't really figure out what it was.

Return of the Freaker

【FOREVER FORNEVER】
kiwifarms.net
The recent COD trailer just dropped a big bombshell by featuring our boy Yuri Bezemov. Apparently search interest in the man has increased. This is a surprising development in the culture war and one that I think will prove to be advantageous.

Holy fucking shit.

The comments are pretty fucking based. I can only hope the COD team don't have their heads in their rectums and twist Yuri's warnings and Agent Perseus into "le drumpft" shit

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net

Holy fucking shit.

The comments are pretty fucking based. I can only hope the COD team don't have their heads in their rectums and twist Yuri's warnings and Agent Perseus into "le drumpft" shit
I honestly think Trump's election has thrown the subversion model off track in the US (same with the internet which has simultaenously helped and hurt it. and what we're seeing is a panicked rush to pull off the subversion while they still can. The problem is that in their panic they are getting sloppy So even if they do get to the normalization stage itll be in a rushed and sloppy manner that renders it vulnerable

Nasty Old Person

I dox myself when I think about you
kiwifarms.net
Old person perspective:

1960s: Nuclear war / pot will kill us all
1970s: Inflation / Disco / cocaine will kill us all
1980s: AIDS will kill us all
1990s: Arabs will kill us all if Y2K doesn't kill us first
2000s: Arabs will kill us all again and mean it this time
2010s: North Korea / Opiates / Global Warming will kill us all and we deserve it
2020s: COVID-19 / China / asteroid strike / liberals will kill us all

0 - 2020s: God / Allah will kill us all unless you send money.

Every generation believes the world will end in their lifetime so they may as well party like it's 1999. The next generation blames the previous generation. Party's still happening.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
I want to believe that there is a good chance that 2020 can be a great decade. We are in a rut at the moment, but I do believe that we can climb out and are already set to. The 2010s had the potential to be a great decade, but was crushed under the weight of everyone trying to stretch it into something it is not. People stuck in the past really hurt the 2010s, more specifically the Millenial 90s kids and Gen X 80s kids. Surprisingly, Boomers had little to do with issues of the previous decade.

I think the 90s-80s revival period is quickly on the way out. Especially the 80s portion that had a stronghold on the 2010 since at least 2014. The 80s have been so milked to death that I cannot see things continuing as most are not base-consumers. The MovieBob types are losing their strongholds with the downfall of Star Wars, Disney, Comics, etc.. Even Nintendo, which started the decade very old-school, has pretty much stopped playing to this crowd with the New Super Mario Bros. and other nostalgia fests. As for the 90s, at best they will get some cartoons. Most projects centered around that nostalgia seem done or are trying to move into something new (Take FF7 Remake). With these two decades no longer having a stranglehold on entertainment, I see more original stuff to pop up and get popular. The only issue is a 2000s, early 2010s resurgence, but I do not believe those eras have enough to actually overtake anything as other than super heroes, those are the time periods of cult classics and not much else. At best, we see Nickelodeon cartoons, some CN shows like Adventure Time and Samurai Jack, and some cartoon platformer mascots come back.

As for superheroes, I see a decline happening soon. The MCU is definitely going to lose its hold on film this decade, and I am personally betting it will come before the half-way point. Some heroes will remain, but it will be like Batman and Spider-Man.

The final would be politics, and... Yeah, how far can it possibly go? The left is essentially destroying itself currently, so we are due to finally be rid of the woke folk who have latched onto the already annoying 80s-90s trend just to suck the soul out of all entertainment. Companies are already getting rid of the wokens, which will drastically reshape our culture. As for the big movements, I doubt the riots can easily be justified to most, so groups like BLM and Antifa are going to have a harder time recruiting after this. Trump exposed the left greatly over these past few years, and while a vocal group will have massive TDS and SJW worship, I think he has killed off the bulk by making them go off the rails so hard that they look crazy. Being woke will likely end up like being emo in the early 2010s. You are a loser banking on a dead trend. SJW stuff was always just a trend. A destructive one, but one none-the-less, and as such it is bound to be replaced in a year or two.

Honestly, just getting rid of wokeness, superheroes, and nostalgia bait will bring this decade up way above the 2010s. The only thing that can make it better is more competition on the web, so that normies can be left to their YouTube and Twitter, while the rest of us have classic internet somewhere else, but that may just be hopeful thinking. Overall, 2020 has a chance. Let the year play out and let’s see how much better things get.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to believe that there is a good chance that 2020 can be a great decade. We are in a rut at the moment, but I do believe that we can climb out and are already set to. The 2010s had the potential to be a great decade, but was crushed under the weight of everyone trying to stretch it into something it is not. People stuck in the past really hurt the 2010s, more specifically the Millenial 90s kids and Gen X 80s kids. Surprisingly, Boomers had little to do with issues of the previous decade.

I think the 90s-80s revival period is quickly on the way out. Especially the 80s portion that had a stronghold on the 2010 since at least 2014. The 80s have been so milked to death that I cannot see things continuing as most are not base-consumers. The MovieBob types are losing their strongholds with the downfall of Star Wars, Disney, Comics, etc.. Even Nintendo, which started the decade very old-school, has pretty much stopped playing to this crowd with the New Super Mario Bros. and other nostalgia fests. As for the 90s, at best they will get some cartoons. Most projects centered around that nostalgia seem done or are trying to move into something new (Take FF7 Remake). With these two decades no longer having a stranglehold on entertainment, I see more original stuff to pop up and get popular. The only issue is a 2000s, early 2010s resurgence, but I do not believe those eras have enough to actually overtake anything as other than super heroes, those are the time periods of cult classics and not much else. At best, we see Nickelodeon cartoons, some CN shows like Adventure Time and Samurai Jack, and some cartoon platformer mascots come back.

As for superheroes, I see a decline happening soon. The MCU is definitely going to lose its hold on film this decade, and I am personally betting it will come before the half-way point. Some heroes will remain, but it will be like Batman and Spider-Man.

The final would be politics, and... Yeah, how far can it possibly go? The left is essentially destroying itself currently, so we are due to finally be rid of the woke folk who have latched onto the already annoying 80s-90s trend just to suck the soul out of all entertainment. Companies are already getting rid of the wokens, which will drastically reshape our culture. As for the big movements, I doubt the riots can easily be justified to most, so groups like BLM and Antifa are going to have a harder time recruiting after this. Trump exposed the left greatly over these past few years, and while a vocal group will have massive TDS and SJW worship, I think he has killed off the bulk by making them go off the rails so hard that they look crazy. Being woke will likely end up like being emo in the early 2010s. You are a loser banking on a dead trend. SJW stuff was always just a trend. A destructive one, but one none-the-less, and as such it is bound to be replaced in a year or two.

Honestly, just getting rid of wokeness, superheroes, and nostalgia bait will bring this decade up way above the 2010s. The only thing that can make it better is more competition on the web, so that normies can be left to their YouTube and Twitter, while the rest of us have classic internet somewhere else, but that may just be hopeful thinking. Overall, 2020 has a chance. Let the year play out and let’s see how much better things get.
Amen to that, and I think we'll still see a lot of nostalgia bait in the 2020's but it won't be hyper-dominant like it was in the 2010's and the 80's/early 90's stuff is going to be dead as a doornail after 2020. The nostalgia we're seeing slowly start to emerge and I think will be the big trend in the 2020's is nostalgia for the late 90's and the 2000's. The remakes in video gaming are a sign of where it could be heading, where the remakes themselves are the basis for a new era entirely but aren't soulless woke rehashes that shit all over the source material.

The Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon trilogy remakes for the PS4 are a good example of this trend, especially since they spent most of the 2000's and 2010's in decline. The Resident Evil 2 remake is another acclaimed return to form that is not a rehash and even the Final Fantasy VII remake despite it's "Love It Or Hate It" story changes is a great example of using nostalgia to both pay homage to an older work while also moving forward.

I think we'll probably see another anime boom, both as a response to the dominance of capeshit and woke culture in the 2010's and as part of an early 2000's nostalgia thing. Disney and Warner can only try to rig the game against it for so long before the backlash against Marvel and DC gets too much to ignore.

I also think the 2020's will see "geek culture" revert to a state that's more what it was like in the 2000's, where it was not mainstream but it also didn't automatically make you a pariah unless you were a total obsessive sperg about it.

Most of the nostalgic elements from the late 90's and 2000's (and maybe early 2010's) will be less in the line of empty remakes and woke reboots and more like the Resident Evil 2, FF7, and Crash Bandicoot remakes where they use the remake as a springboard into an entirely new era that's true to the spirit of the old days but is still original as well.

It'll be more focused on video gaming and anime from the way things are starting to trend, and this applies for geek culture and nostalgia in general.

On a more mainstream front, I think mid-budget movies and AA titles might be due for a second wind since Joker proved mid-budget movies can still be viable and the COVID-19 pandemic has made expensive blockbusters more risky.

I think the parallel "grindhouse" movie market could come back via streaming, DVD and Blu-Ray releases, and independent theaters if enough people are willing to take the plunge and make the low-budget "problematic" genre movies as an alternative to the bland and corporate stuff from the studios like Disney, Warner, and Sony. I think the chain multiplexes are doomed, although I can see the studios owning multiplex chains and keeping them open in specific markets for the "big event" movies, both of the "summer blockbuster" and "prestige picture" kind.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
Most of the nostalgic elements from the late 90's and 2000's (and maybe early 2010's)
I still believe the early 2010s, more specifically 2010-2012 will comeback. Adventure Time has been renewed, Young Justice got renewed, The Legend of Korra is being brought back along with Victorious and Big Time Rush (it was 2009, but yeah), and that new show Close Enough is trying to play to Regular Show nostalgia. I fully expect the early 2010s to comeback since it got snubbed by the later part of the decade. Adventure Time, Gumball, Regular Show, Korra, Victorious, BTR, Young Justice, Panty & Stocking, MLP FIM, and probably some video games like Portal 2, Batman Arkham City, MineCraft, etc.. The early 2010s was its own thing, but has slowly just turned into an extension of the 2000s and 90s.

will be less in the line of empty remakes and woke reboots
Sometimes, I am not sure if that is the problem. It is more of the constant pandering in all forms than just reboots. Take Despicable Me 3, where the villain is just 80s man, or Gaurdians of the Galaxy where all music is 70s/80s, or Stanger Things, a show that slowly became a commercial for 80s products. I think Ready Player One is the ultimate nostalgia hub. These franchises are basically just plopping 80s in everywhere. Some are smart like Gaurdians, but ones like RPO just have 80s for 80s. Most of the 80s stuff is nothing even remotely new, and usually feels like it has no business being there. I will give 90s and 2000s stuff credit, it feels like creators actually want to transform them into something new, sort of like Batman. Updated, but retains the original feel in a non-cheap way.

I should also say, out of all the 80s comebacks, I think TMNT can stay. Nickelodeon seems to be doing a decent job reinventing them for the modern era unlike their adaptations from previous decades. They are probably one of the few “superheroes” that can stay in 2020.

Resident Evil 2, FF7, and Crash Bandicoot remakes where they use the remake as a springboard into an entirely new era that's true to the spirit of the old days but is still original as well.
Kinda hope SpongeBob falls into this category given the Battle for Bikini Bottom remake.

It'll be more focused on video gaming and anime from the way things are starting to trend, and this applies for geek culture and nostalgia in general.
I would not be surprised if video game movies start replacing superheroes after Sonic was such a success.

Disney and Warner can only try to rig the game against it for so long before the backlash against Marvel and DC gets too much to ignore.
Honest question, does DC really have that much backlash? Maybe comics, but their movies are starting to be seen as better again after WW, Shazam, AquaMan, and Joker made it big. Honestly, out of all the superhero stuff, I see DC being the most likely to stick around. Warner has never been to afraid to really let people have fun with the characters and try new things. I truly believe they will still see success in 2020 with Injustice 3, RockSteady Suicide Squad, LEGO DC 5, Young Justice, and TTG. Their characters will probably become more limited again like in the 2000s (Batman, Superman, Teen Titans, Justice League, and maybe Wonder Woman), but far from dead.

Disney, Warner, and Sony. I think the chain multiplexes are doomed, although I can see the studios owning multiplex chains and keeping them open in specific markets for the "big event" movies, both of the "summer blockbuster" and "prestige picture" kind.
Disney is likely to end up in a position like they had in the 80s. They will be an non-entity while still big in the media space. They just lack anything to really get them up in the top ranks in 2020. Star Wars and Marvel are likely to fall, Pixar is not the hit machine that kept Disney relevant in the 2000s anymore, and their animation and live action departments are dead.
As for Sony, they may have a chance. Spider-Verse is likely to be a huge influence on animation. Sony also has tons of video game icons that they can maybe make movies of. Sly being a big one.
Warner will be fine. They make so much that it will be very difficult to kill them.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still believe the early 2010s, more specifically 2010-2012 will comeback. Adventure Time has been renewed, Young Justice got renewed, The Legend of Korra is being brought back along with Victorious and Big Time Rush (it was 2009, but yeah), and that new show Close Enough is trying to play to Regular Show nostalgia. I fully expect the early 2010s to comeback since it got snubbed by the later part of the decade. Adventure Time, Gumball, Regular Show, Korra, Victorious, BTR, Young Justice, Panty & Stocking, MLP FIM, and probably some video games like Portal 2, Batman Arkham City, MineCraft, etc.. The early 2010s was its own thing, but has slowly just turned into an extension of the 2000s and 90s.

Sometimes, I am not sure if that is the problem. It is more of the constant pandering in all forms than just reboots. Take Despicable Me 3, where the villain is just 80s man, or Gaursians of the Galaxy where all music is 70s/80s, or Stanger Things, a show that slowly became a commercial for 80s products. I think Ready Player One is the ultimate nostalgia hub. These franchises are basically just plopping 80s in everywhere. Some are smart like Gaurdians, but ones like RPO just have 80s for 80s. Most of the 80s stuff is nothing even remotely new, and usually feels like it has no business being there. I will give 90s and 2000s stuff credit, it feels like creators actually want to transform them into something new, sort of like Batman. Updated, but retains the original feel in a non-cheap way.

I should also say, out of all the 80s comebacks, I think TMNT can stay. Nickelodeon seems to be doing a decent job reinventing them for the modern era unlike their adaptations from previous decades. They are probably one of the few “superheroes” that can stay in 2020.

Kinda hope SpongeBob falls into this category given the Battle for Bikini Bottom remake.

I would not be surprised if video game movies start replacing superheroes after Sonic was such a success.

Honest question, does DC really have that much backlash? Maybe comics, but their movies are starting to be seen as better again after WW, Shazam, AquaMan, and Joker made it big. Honestly, out of all the superhero stuff, I see DC being the most likely to stick around. Warner has never been to afraid to really let people have fun with the characters and try new things. I truly believe they will still see success in 2020 with Injustice 3, RockSteady Suicide Squad, LEGO DC 5, Young Justice, and TTG. Their characters will probably become more limited again like in the 2000s (Batman, Superman, Teen Titans, Justice League, and maybe Wonder Woman), but far from dead.

Disney is likely to end up in a position like they had in the 80s. They will be an non-entity while still big in the media space. They just lack anything to really get them up in the top ranks in 2020. Star Wars and Marvel are likely to fall, Pixar is not the hit machine that kept Disney relevant in the 2000s anymore, and their animation and live action departments are dead.
As for Sony, they may have a chance. Spider-Verse is likely to be a huge influence on animation. Sony also has tons of video game icons that they can maybe make movies of. Sly being a big one.
Warner will be fine. They make so much that it will be very difficult to kill them.

I can definitely see the early 2010's coming back as part of a wider 2000's revival since 2010-2012 is increasingly being seen as part of the late 2000's culturally (the whole era of 2008-2012 was sort of its own weird thing, sort of an "era within an era" deal)

I think TMNT is the only 80's nostalgia thing that will stay because it never fully went away to begin with. The Turtles are one of those "evergreen" comic book properties that will always be around like Batman and Spider-Man. I also agree the soulless pandering is another key issue to the 80's/early 90's nostalgia movement of the 2010's.

The late 90's/2000's/early 2010's nostalgia movement is looking like it will be a more genuine appreciation of the older works and making them work in a new context that isn't just woke shit or "how do you do, fellow kids?" pandering.

A lot of the video game remakes from the PS1 and PS2 eras seem to be indicating this, and even the "bad" remakes like the Resident Evil 3 remake aren't all that bad, just more of a "so okay it's average" case compared to stuff like Resident Evil 2 Remake or the Destroy All Humans remake.

Spongebob will definitely be given this nostalgic treatment considering Spongebob is one of those icons of early 2000's pop culture.

Disney's probably still going to be a big monolith but I don't think they'll be the invincible and unstoppable force they were in the 2010's, especially if we see some MCU box office bombs before the X-Men can enter the picture.

Bob Iger and his megalomania will no longer be a big issue after 2020 is over, and I think Chapek won't be as eager to buy up everything and depending on how bad Disney is hurting financially, might even sell off some of their IP's from the Fox merger to other companies or sell off some of the smaller subsidiaries like A&E and History Channel.

DC will still be a thing but they usually played second fiddle to Marvel in movies for most of the 2000's and 2010's, and any DC properties that will be successful in a post-DCU/MCU world will likely focus around Batman and maybe Wonder Woman.

I also think video game movies might be a more viable thing in the 2020's now that Detective Pikachu and Sonic seem to have "broken the curse" and proved video game movies can be both good and financially successful.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
I think TMNT is the only 80's nostalgia thing that will stay because it never fully went away to begin with. The Turtles are one of those "evergreen" comic book properties that will always be around like Batman and Spider-Man. I also agree the soulless pandering is another key issue to the 80's/early 90's nostalgia movement of the 2010's.
It never went away, but their popularity did. I cannot remember if they were used for anything in the 90s, but the 2000s were sort of a “death period.” They had content, but nothing to exceptional. There was just an overly-edgy cartoon and some animated film. The 2010s Nickelodeon tv series definitely made them big again in the public eye, so hopefully Nickelodeon can continue with it.
As for other heroes, I think the 2010s sort of solidified Teen Titans as an evergreen property. The 2000s did wonders, but the 2010s gave us three adaptations, not counting cameos, so I think they are here to stay. Personally, I am fine with TT being an evergreen. They are the perfect teen heroes that seem very relatable to both boys and girls.
I guess Ben 10 and Power Puff Girls are also evergreen now, if you count them as superheroes. Maybe ThunderCats as well?

I guess superhero evergreens will likely be Batman, Spider-Man, TMNT, Teen Titans, Justice League, Superman, Ben 10, Power Puff Girls, and Thunder Cats in 2020. There could be some more Marvel, but I kinda doubt it. X-Men have been destroyed both by overuse at FOX and Disney just trashing the brand. As for the Avengers, I wonder if the constant stream of non-stop movies will hurt their brand in the long run, not to mention the dwindling comic sales and the tv shows being downgraded MCU adaptations. I think DC is smart in using their characters for niche material such as animation, tv and video games, it really keeps them around longer. Marvel is going to fall because the movies are everything to them. If the movies fail, they have nothing else to fall back on.

The late 90's/2000's/early 2010's nostalgia movement is looking like it will be a more genuine appreciation of the older works and making them work in a new context that isn't just woke shit or "how do you do, fellow kids?" pandering.
The only thing that would contradict this is the Battle Toads reboot. I feel that the TTG style will be around for a little longer, but it is certainly wearing its time. I almost feel like a hypocrite as I actually liked TTG and thought it was surprisingly well written while being the biggest middle finger ever, but it’s spawns are god awful.

I also think video game movies might be a more viable thing in the 2020's now that Detective Pikachu and Sonic seem to have "broken the curse" and proved video game movies can be both good and financially successful.
I am really expecting a Kingdom Hearts franchise to be built. Disney is starting to funnel a lot into projects for that series.

I also expect Nintendo to play their hands more, I know Mario is getting a film, but I could see Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon, maybe Fire Emblem, all getting movies if not tv series.

Spongebob will definitely be given this nostalgic treatment considering Spongebob is one of those icons of early 2000's pop culture.
SpongeBob, Avatar, Invader Zim, Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, Rugrats, Jimmy Neutron, Rocko’s Modern Life, Korra, Ren & Stimpy, Nick is bringing back a lot. To bad Cartoon Network seems to be done. All they have is Ben 10, Adventure Time, and Samurai Jack.

DC will still be a thing but they usually played second fiddle to Marvel in movies for most of the 2000's and 2010's, and any DC properties that will be successful in a post-DCU/MCU world will likely focus around Batman and maybe Wonder Woman.
DC could probably be successful with a Titans movie, and they will definitely bring out Superman.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Xerxes IX

Neko Atsume cat named Sargon of Aclawed next?
kiwifarms.net
Early 2010s nostalgia will definitely become a bigger trend. Last summer was the Minecraft revival, where people who played the game as kids in the early 2010s came back to celebrate the game (and even the song parodies, cringy or not). I think that's just the beginning of early 2010 game nostalgia because a big part of the Minecraft revival was dislike of Fortnite and the decline in quality of what games are popular among kids these days due to things like the games as services model, microtransactions, and mobile apps. That era of gaming was basically the last before mobile games and the games as service monetization model really started taking off and changed things forever.

And it might be an example of the Nintendo fanbase being autistic again, but the support for a Mario 3D All Stars that includes a port/remake of both Mario Galaxy games is an indicator of the trend. Those games are old enough to be revisited and there is fan support for revisiting them.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net

I sympathize a lot with why we seem to have such difficulty letting the 1980s go, I love the 80s, I've been obsessed with the 80s ever since I was a kid, but it's also a fact that we have to stop sucking that teat eventually, one thing I miss about the 2000s is back then people still sometimes tried to give us something new instead of endless rehashes.

Early 2010s nostalgia will definitely become a bigger trend. Last summer was the Minecraft revival, where people who played the game as kids in the early 2010s came back to celebrate the game (and even the song parodies, cringy or not). I think that's just the beginning of early 2010 game nostalgia because a big part of the Minecraft revival was dislike of Fortnite and the decline in quality of what games are popular among kids these days due to things like the games as services model, microtransactions, and mobile apps. That era of gaming was basically the last before mobile games and the games as service monetization model really started taking off and changed things forever.

And it might be an example of the Nintendo fanbase being autistic again, but the support for a Mario 3D All Stars that includes a port/remake of both Mario Galaxy games is an indicator of the trend. Those games are old enough to be revisited and there is fan support for revisiting them.
The thought of early 2010s nostalgia makes me feel so fucking old but at the same time I totally get it, it was long enough ago now that I feel genuine nostalgia for it too.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
I hope so. The start of the 20's has kinda been a crapshoot so far, but I sincerely hope that it's just the tail end of the utter crap the 2010's were.

A LOT is going to depend on the November election results. That'll be the mark that guides the rest of this decade. Generation Z is looking like it's going to trend massively conservative. Even if Biden wins, we are going to see a big swell in the GOP. 2024 and beyond will also be really interesting. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the "Republicans will never hold power again" Democratic talking point from 2008 was the worst kind of self fellating bunk.

We are seeing some signs of hope. SJW/woke nonsense is increasingly being called out and recognized for what it is. Several major franchises that were thought evergreen have tanked because of it, but the silver lining is that it opens the door to actual creatives getting control again. People are starting to notice just how milquetoast and sexless storytelling has become.

We still have some major societal issues to solve. Wage stagnation has reached the point where actual take home pay is at an all time low. The middle class has been on a really scary downward trend. Most just don't make enough despite putting out x10 the productivity of the same job in the 80s/90s. This is going to be a severe problem in a few decades when the millennial generation reaches retirement and have nothing to retire on. As we've seen, around 70-80% of the population doesn't have enough savings to cover a sudden $500 expense anymore.

Electronic goods are also quickly reaching a reckoning. Certain industries (cellphones) have had prices shoot through the roof the last decade. That just isn't going to be sustainable barring massive predatory sub prime loan systems.

Housing is going to have another big crash in a few years. The boomers have begun to mass retire, but housing costs are still WAY too high to be accessible to your average joe. We will see big jumps in properties becoming Airbnb rentals and foreign entities buying up land. (I guarantee that this is eventually going to become a national problem. Several major Chinese corporations own scary amounts of land in major cities.)

Culture wise I'm wondering how relationships/sex will change. The 90's to about 2007 had a really open hookup culture. It was basically the 60's free love movement all over again. Condoms and birth control became easily accessible for most and the trends shifted around that. The 2010's saw a big "sex is bad, androgany good" trend in pop culture. This lead to a massive increase in both men and women having less romantic relationships and remaining celebate into their early 30's. There are going to be fallouts from that.

Last edited:
Tags
None