Will the 2020s be better? -

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I can definitely see the early 2010's coming back as part of a wider 2000's revival since 2010-2012 is increasingly being seen as part of the late 2000's culturally (the whole era of 2008-2012 was sort of its own weird thing, sort of an "era within an era" deal)

I think TMNT is the only 80's nostalgia thing that will stay because it never fully went away to begin with. The Turtles are one of those "evergreen" comic book properties that will always be around like Batman and Spider-Man. I also agree the soulless pandering is another key issue to the 80's/early 90's nostalgia movement of the 2010's.

The late 90's/2000's/early 2010's nostalgia movement is looking like it will be a more genuine appreciation of the older works and making them work in a new context that isn't just woke shit or "how do you do, fellow kids?" pandering.

A lot of the video game remakes from the PS1 and PS2 eras seem to be indicating this, and even the "bad" remakes like the Resident Evil 3 remake aren't all that bad, just more of a "so okay it's average" case compared to stuff like Resident Evil 2 Remake or the Destroy All Humans remake.

Spongebob will definitely be given this nostalgic treatment considering Spongebob is one of those icons of early 2000's pop culture.

Disney's probably still going to be a big monolith but I don't think they'll be the invincible and unstoppable force they were in the 2010's, especially if we see some MCU box office bombs before the X-Men can enter the picture.

Bob Iger and his megalomania will no longer be a big issue after 2020 is over, and I think Chapek won't be as eager to buy up everything and depending on how bad Disney is hurting financially, might even sell off some of their IP's from the Fox merger to other companies or sell off some of the smaller subsidiaries like A&E and History Channel.

DC will still be a thing but they usually played second fiddle to Marvel in movies for most of the 2000's and 2010's, and any DC properties that will be successful in a post-DCU/MCU world will likely focus around Batman and maybe Wonder Woman.

I also think video game movies might be a more viable thing in the 2020's now that Detective Pikachu and Sonic seem to have "broken the curse" and proved video game movies can be both good and financially successful.
I think we have a ways to go before videogame movies reach the current heights that capeshit is currently experiencing. I'd say that they are currently at the "superman" state where it has been proven that the concept can work. The next step is for videogame movies to have their "Batman": A film that in addition to being a critical and financial success also had a hugely succesfull marketing campaign and merchandise (though unlike Batman it likely won't change the game for blockbuster movies)

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
If this Chink fakedemnic panic doesn't stop anytime soon then nothing's going to get better. And the scary part is the powers that be have effectively locked us in indefinitely. Everyone's either been brainwashed enough or scared into compliance under threat of fines/arrest/whatever and any attempt to say enough is enough is broken down thanks to public opinion being completely and effectively swayed to stay in pod mode until Daddy Government says it's over (which will be never).

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If this Chink fakedemnic panic doesn't stop anytime soon then nothing's going to get better. And the scary part is the powers that be have effectively locked us in indefinitely. Everyone's either been brainwashed enough or scared into compliance under threat of fines/arrest/whatever and any attempt to say enough is enough is broken down thanks to public opinion being completely and effectively swayed to stay in pod mode until Daddy Government says it's over (which will be never).
Pressing X to doubt on the "lockdown will never end" part. If this weren't a major election year, I honestly think the lockdowns would've completely ended by late May, 4th of July weekend at the absolute latest.

Not saying there wasn't some merit to the threat of the virus, especially in the earlier phases of the pandemic but if it weren't for the election year, the powers that be wouldn't have tried to keep the lockdowns as prolonged as they have because the economy simply cannot sustain it at all.

The lockdowns will end after the election no matter who wins since it will be a moot point by then. Only the absolute worst hit areas like NYC would even entertain the notion of continuing it after January 2021.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wanna believe the 2020s will get better, but ‘rona and the constant civil unrest say otherwise.
Part of me thinks the 2020's will be worse than the 2010's, and another part of me also thinks that 2020 is going to be more of a grand finale to the 2010's the same way 2001 was the grand finale for the 90's. I'm hoping it's the latter where 2020 is simply the darkness before dawn while the 2020's as a whole turn out to be a pretty decent decade.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Been thinking about this more, but does anyone else foresee a movement backwards for technology?

When I say this, I am not speaking about stuff like PS6 having PS3 graphics, rather that most online and luxury products will kinda die out. For some reason I see the Streaming bubble bursting and us all going back to DVDs, Movie theaters, and maybe even tv. I think concerns over data collection will drive issues in huge tech companies like FaceBook, minimizing the user base. I can also see streaming having issues with media preservation and ownership rights as Disney is already getting flak for pricing Mulan at $30 when you cannot even own it.

Also, I kinda feel like a purge on devices like Alexa is going to be a thing. Thoughts?

Pickle Dick

boy do i wish it was 2016 again
kiwifarms.net
Also, I kinda feel like a purge on devices like Alexa is going to be a thing. Thoughts?
Does anyone really use Alexa/Amazon Echo devices these days? I've only really used it as an alarm clock and nighttime noise player.

Aidan

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone really use Alexa/Amazon Echo devices these days? I've only really used it as an alarm clock and nighttime noise player.
I know people who create amazon playlists for different events they do and then they say "Alexa, play [PLAYLISTNAME]" to have background music or whatever for a get together or drunk partying.

I hope @-4ZURE- is on to something with this, though. I'd love a purge of IoT shit in the household. I know we're a far cry from people hating big tech in their homes, but that sentiment has grown over the past few years.

Saklas

The retarded cousin of your favorite deities.
kiwifarms.net
I stopped using mine awhile ago. I didn't like that thing always listening. It was a very good alarm clock. Nothing gets you out of bed like metal blaring at 7AM.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Things are difficult now but I think it might be the start of something beautiful. Might die, but it'll be exciting at least.
It's always darkest before dawn and there is a part of me that truly believes that the 2020s might turn out to be an incredible decade.

I wanna believe the 2020s will get better, but ‘rona and the constant civil unrest say otherwise.
We're off to a hell of a start, even I didn't expect things to change so much in 2020, to where 2019 now seems like a bygone era.

The rest of the 2020's will probably be every dystopian/tragedy movie mixed into a big ass one
I always think of the movie Children of Men, which if you remove the part about infertility, seems to depict a situation where the influx of immigrants and refugees causes a civil war in Europe.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
My household has about 3-4. I hate the thing, but my parents are very big on them for conveniency as they have them play their Spotify playlists or answer questions. I originally got one as a present and wanted to get rid of it, especially because it just became an annoyance as every member of the house wanted to test it, but they got me to keep it.

Honestly, after college, I am probably never to going to have one in my house. It is just creepy and annoying whenever it goes off. I feel like the older generations are more into it though, so maybe I will not be the minority.

I hope @-4ZURE- is on to something with this, though. I'd love a purge of IoT shit in the household. I know we're a far cry from people hating big tech in their homes, but that sentiment has grown over the past few years.
I love technology and am trying to get a job in the field, but I feel it has gone too far. Kinda miss when phones were not listening and Alexa did not exist. Of course, I also miss when the internet was sort of still a foreign land as well.

I see a reverse happening at some point. I think people will get tired of technology after the Zoom year, and I think a stream of things will take place to get us back to a 2010s point in tech. We will probably have a downsizing of Home technology and a return of physical media in some form. As for the internet, I just feel a social media purge is bound to happen. It is clear that most of these sites were incapable of taking on everyone, and I think just a push or two could make them collapse.

I personally think FaceBook will be one of the first to go, outside of Tik Tok. FaceBook has a very old base now, if the Boomers go, then so does half their audience. Tik Tok will likely die out in a similar vein to Vine or Tumblr. Either there will be a replacement or the user base will get so bad no one uses it, something that is getting more present. The real question will be wether Twitter starts to die down or not. I think it and YouTube are safe, but I can see some downsizing in overall usage and appeal.

Saklas

The retarded cousin of your favorite deities.
kiwifarms.net
I always think of the movie Children of Men, which if you remove the part about infertility, seems to depict a situation where the influx of immigrants and refugees causes a civil war in Europe.
As far as I know, fertility is pretty low in a lot of places. If I had to bet on who's gonna have the next Civil War, I'd bet on the US. It does seem pretty possible in Europe too though.

UselessIdiot

Time Waits For No Ma'am
kiwifarms.net
Been thinking about this more, but does anyone else foresee a movement backwards for technology?

When I say this, I am not speaking about stuff like PS6 having PS3 graphics, rather that most online and luxury products will kinda die out. For some reason I see the Streaming bubble bursting and us all going back to DVDs, Movie theaters, and maybe even tv. I think concerns over data collection will drive issues in huge tech companies like FaceBook, minimizing the user base. I can also see streaming having issues with media preservation and ownership rights as Disney is already getting flak for pricing Mulan at $30 when you cannot even own it.

I love physical media and still have cable, so I hope so.

Reactions: Syaoran Li
Tags
None