Will the 2020s be better?

Will the 2020s be a better decade than the 2010s?

• Total voters

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
Why the sheer obsession with the 2000s? It's time to move on.
Practically the last stop before the trip through the Great Recession and Clownworld. Not everything was hunky dory back then, but man, shit got done and there was still something of a semblance of a world you could work your way honest through, plus it was after the whole hype for the new millennium and everyone who still had that fire going that this would be the stepping stone for a new clean sweep for a better tomorrow had the grounds to do so. The 90s also weren't a distant memory and that influence kept going on a bit longer than the past decades.

We should keep going on strong, and memories are memories, but tomorrow is an uncertain thing, and something should remind us that good things still can happen, or that we should be grateful that they did happen and we'd be assed to do something ourselves as people.

Keep on truckin'.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's hard to move on if what lies after is Clown World. And nostalgia isn't always bad.

Despite everything I remain hopeful because decades don't really started to take shape until a few years into one.
I hope so. The insanity of the woke left seems to be increasing exponentially, and it seems to be shoved into everything. Like I said, they think they can force a "utopia" by silencing "wrongthink" and shoving woke bullshit everywhere. And the powers that shouldn't be find Clown World and The New Normal very useful to increase control.

Then again, "go woke go broke" is a thing...

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
We should keep going on strong, and memories are memories, but tomorrow is an uncertain thing, and something should remind us that good things still can happen, or that we should be grateful that they did happen and we'd be assed to do something ourselves as people.
That's a good point to make right there. Memories are what make a person. The good memories of a time where people could achieve anything and saw dreams come true are proof that a world like that could exist. What kind of person do you make with an upbringing like that vs what you would get if all their life experience and understanding of the world came from the past few years? We only need to look at Zoomers and Gen A being stunted before out eyes to see how bland and miserable such a person is.

Duck Fuckem

gotta keep the gay out
kiwifarms.net
Covid appears to have forced 2021 into being the 11th year of the 10s, so hopefully 2022 can become its own thing. Hopefully we can take more steps towards reaching mankind's endgame of fucking about in space for shits and giggles, I wanna plant Mpreg shit on the moon so visiting aylmaos get confused. That or start a colony of blues guitarists and have political debates done with guitar solos.

Last edited:

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Practically the last stop before the trip through the Great Recession and Clownworld. Not everything was hunky dory back then, but man, shit got done and there was still something of a semblance of a world you could work your way honest through, plus it was after the whole hype for the new millennium and everyone who still had that fire going that this would be the stepping stone for a new clean sweep for a better tomorrow had the grounds to do so. The 90s also weren't a distant memory and that influence kept going on a bit longer than the past decades.

Keep on truckin'.
It's hard to move on if what lies after is Clown World. And nostalgia isn't always bad.

I hope so. The insanity of the woke left seems to be increasing exponentially, and it seems to be shoved into everything. Like I said, they think they can force a "utopia" by silencing "wrongthink" and shoving woke bullshit everywhere. And the powers that shouldn't be find Clown World and The New Normal very useful to increase control.

History has a way of repeating itself. People have been through shitty times before and we always somehow come out of it stronger and more prosperous. If the West as we know it crumbles, eventually, something better will come out from the rubble.

Not sure if I personally will live to see that day, but I'll be damned if I didn't at least try to work towards a better tomorrow. Especially if I had kids.

Besides, what else can you do? All I know is, I'm tired of fearing for the future and feeling miserable about it. And the past nearly two years has made me realize that I was much more capable than I thought I was.

RussianParasite

Не ходи на выборы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If the West as we know it crumbles, eventually, something better will come out from the rubble.
I agree, the world isn’t ending really, it is just doing what has done before. Still, the rebuild might take awhile like it did last time (collapse of Rome). Dark ages part II, electric boogaloo. I still think we are a ways out from that though.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's simply hard to when you know things used to objectively be better, that's all.

Things usually hit their peak before they decline, don't they?

The fact that the left, year by year, just keeps ramping up their Woke insanity means that eventually things are going to hit a breaking point where they simply go too far and normies finally tell them to fuck off.

I think we're already starting to see this with shit like them making the word "woman" politically incorrect.

Erich Honecker

General Secretary of Dance Dance Revolution
kiwifarms.net
I don't even think the 2000s and the 2010s are singular coherent decades. Personally I would categorise the 21st century so far like this:
2001-2008 = War on Terror, pre-Great Recession
2008-2016 = Post-Great Recession, War on Terror rumbles on in the background
2016-Now = Blumpf, SJWs, alt-right, woke culture, and now covid

To me, the 2010s hold a lot of good memories because I remember the first half of that decade as being pretty comfy. In the early 10s most economies started to slowly but surely recover from the great recession and there was a brief period of optimism for the future 2011-2014 when there weren't too many cataclysmic world events going on. Things first started to shift in 2014 when ISIS cropped up and it was clear the War on Terror might not have been won at all, and coincidentally this is also the year where "SJW" entered the public lexicon in a big way. 2016 with Brexit and the US election was the big shift that started a new era altogether. But pre-2016 I honestly don't think things were that bad, as SJWism was more of just a fucking annoying and extremely loud minority, rather than controlling entire industries and the sway of western politics. I'm not American but the Obama presidency felt far preferable to the Biden one as there seemed to be a genuine attempt to create a "post-racial" form of liberalism back then, at least before BLM kicked off (coincidentally also in 2014). Obama did play up the Trayvon Martin fiasco before that, but if you look back on the discussion then it doesn't even hold a candle to the kind of incendiary rhetoric we heard around George Floyd in 2020.

If we consider the Current Year era as beginning in about 2016, then we're probably right in the middle of it now, which feels about right. Things probably won't start to change in a big way again until 2023 or 2024 at the earliest (Maybe the US election will again have something to do with it?)

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't even think the 2000s and the 2010s are singular coherent decades. Personally I would categorise the 21st century so far like this:
Politically yes, but culturally I would define a broader "turn of the millennium" era that lasted from about 1997 to 2007.

I would define 2008-2013 as the Post-Great Recession era, 2014-2016 was the rise of Woke.

Yes, 2016-Now has all been the same era.

To me, the 2010s hold a lot of good memories because I remember the first half of that decade as being pretty comfy. In the early 10s most economies started to slowly but surely recover from the great recession and there was a brief period of optimism for the future 2011-2014 when there weren't too many cataclysmic world events going on.
I definitely have some fond memories of 2010-2015, however I would never describe the 2010s as ever being a great decade, even pre-Woke there was a lot about it that was just kind of lame and boring compared to earlier times.

But of course that first half was in many ways preferable to now.

Things first started to shift in 2014 when ISIS cropped up and it was clear the War on Terror might not have been won at all, and coincidentally this is also the year where "SJW" entered the public lexicon in a big way.
You also had the terror attacks in France in 2015 and the refugee crisis that same year really casting a bad light on the left's love of diversity and immigration, that was when the façade really started to crack and the left started to become deranged in their defending of it and shouting down of anyone asking questions.

2016 with Brexit and the US election was the big shift that started a new era altogether. But pre-2016 I honestly don't think things were that bad, as SJWism was more of just a fucking annoying and extremely loud minority, rather than controlling entire industries and the sway of western politics.
2015 was when things were getting pretty Woke, but even so, there was a very different vibe to 2015 than 2016, 2016 is truly when things started to go off the rails, I agree pre-2016 things were not that bad.

SJWs were more in the background and one thing I noticed was they were a lot more willing to communicate with you online, sure, they would talk to you like you were a complete idiot, but at least they were still talking to you with an attitude of "you're just misinformed and once you hear the truth you'll get onboard"

However the more and more Trump influenced things the more the attitude shifted to "there is no more room for debate, you're either with us or against us" with any attempts at communicating being replaced with deplatforming, name calling, intimidation and bullying.

I'm not American but the Obama presidency felt far preferable to the Biden one as there seemed to be a genuine attempt to create a "post-racial" form of liberalism back then, at least before BLM kicked off (coincidentally also in 2014). Obama did play up the Trayvon Martin fiasco before that, but if you look back on the discussion then it doesn't even hold a candle to the kind of incendiary rhetoric we heard around George Floyd in 2020.
The different between the Trayvon Martin fiasco and today is today people are encouraged to full on hate white people, that definitely wasn't the case around 2012/2013.

If we consider the Current Year era as beginning in about 2016, then we're probably right in the middle of it now, which feels about right. Things probably won't start to change in a big way again until 2023 or 2024 at the earliest (Maybe the US election will again have something to do with it?)
Interestingly enough I first noticed people saying "It's *Current Year*!" in 2015, with people saying "it's 2015!" but Current Year as an attitude fully blossomed in 2016.

Erich Honecker

General Secretary of Dance Dance Revolution
kiwifarms.net
Interestingly enough I first noticed people saying "It's *Current Year*!" in 2015, with people saying "it's 2015!" but Current Year as an attitude fully blossomed in 2016.
It was Justin Trudeau who first coined it after being elected in 2015, right? Something about being asked why he appointed so many women to his cabinet and he incredulously responded "Uhh, it's 2015!"

I feel like a lot of the woke nonsense can be explained simply by the fact that liberal progressives thought they were experiencing "the final victory" in 2015/16, what with gay marriage being legalised basically everywhere, the election or re-election of liberal governments, and the discussion around big feminist boogeymen issues like the gender pay gap and rape culture. It was supposed to be that in 2016 the UK would vote to stay in the EU and the US would elect Hillary Clinton, and this would all prove how progressivism was now THE force of power in the west.

In fact, very controversially, a part of me wonders if things might have turned out better if Remain and Hillary actually had won. Because in 2016 there was a growing "anti-SJW" movement which was still very popular with normies. But once Brexit/Trump won, it seemed to be a mass-bluepilling event where many many people were so horrified by the alt-right and MAGAtards, they would accept basically any lunacy in the progressive-left platform so long as they would make the bad men on the right go away. We'll never know for certain, but part of me thinks if Remain/Hillary won then progressives would have blown their load a lot earlier, overplayed their hand and turned a critical mass of normies against them before "woke" could have really got off the ground.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like I said in the 2010s blur thread, the 2010s can feel like 3 years.

2010 to 2012, 2012 to 2016, and 2016 to 2019.

The 2020s so far feel like a single year, yet they can feel much longer at the same time.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The Lawgiver

THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EARTH THE STRONGE
kiwifarms.net
It was Justin Trudeau who first coined it after being elected in 2015, right? Something about being asked why he appointed so many women to his cabinet and he incredulously responded "Uhh, it's 2015!"

I feel like a lot of the woke nonsense can be explained simply by the fact that liberal progressives thought they were experiencing "the final victory" in 2015/16, what with gay marriage being legalised basically everywhere, the election or re-election of liberal governments, and the discussion around big feminist boogeymen issues like the gender pay gap and rape culture. It was supposed to be that in 2016 the UK would vote to stay in the EU and the US would elect Hillary Clinton, and this would all prove how progressivism was now THE force of power in the west.

In fact, very controversially, a part of me wonders if things might have turned out better if Remain and Hillary actually had won. Because in 2016 there was a growing "anti-SJW" movement which was still very popular with normies. But once Brexit/Trump won, it seemed to be a mass-bluepilling event where many many people were so horrified by the alt-right and MAGAtards, they would accept basically any lunacy in the progressive-left platform so long as they would make the bad men on the right go away. We'll never know for certain, but part of me thinks if Remain/Hillary won then progressives would have blown their load a lot earlier, overplayed their hand and turned a critical mass of normies against them before "woke" could have really got off the ground.
I still can't get over how 2016 was 5 years ago. we're in a damn timeloop! The best part about the 2016 election was how Hillary had a massive weird dystopian scifi coronation looking setup that was supposed to have a "shattering the glass ceiling" effect to the stage when she won as planned, but Trump who was just in like some brick hotel conference room or some shit IIRC ended up winning and you saw the crowd go from uneasy to ballistic. Please note before this these types were literally rioting in the strreets for months on and off solely because Trump was running for president but they only started doing that after Hillary was chosen to win. Shits still sus as hell even to this day.

Last edited: