Will we ever go to movie theaters again? And are the Oscars even happening? We have answers

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Michael Jacks0n

You know I'm bad, I'm bad.
kiwifarms.net
I've even been pretty over movie theaters and only going to them rarely for years now, but it feels weird to think of them going extinct entirely, I didn't dislike the experience enough to want them to go away entirely, it's nice to still have the option.

I kinda wish this had at least waited until after that new Ghostbusters movie had come out, I've waited literally my entire life to see a Ghostbusters movie in the theater (no, the 2016 one does not even remotely count) and was really looking forward to it, but now it's been pushed back to next March.

I did the next best thing: in 2014, they re-released the OG Ghostbusters in my town, so I got to see it in the theater for the 30th anniversary! I saw also a 40th anniversary re-release of Jaws, too.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I think there were a couple of drive-in theatres in the Montreal area that were still open when I was a kid but I think the only one that screened some movies in English was somewhere ridiculously out of the way like Laval (the smaller island city northwest of central Montreal) and not the western half of Montreal island where the majority of English speakers in the Montreal region live so I don't have any drive-in experience myself.

*EDIT* Come to think of it, Quebec drive-ins probably screened American movies in both French and English since they'd just transmit each language on different FM frequencies. But there were a couple of English language movie theatres much closer to where we lived than any drive-in.

Last edited:

UnKillShredDur

Black Deaths Matter.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a small chain of specialty movie theaters near where I live, whose gimmick is that they will serve you (tbh, shitty and very overpriced) food like a restaurant, while you watch the movie. I drove by them the other day, and their sign said that they are still serving their (again shitty, and overpriced) food for curbside pickup. Bitch, nobody was going to you for your crappy food.

feral cat #6385

Meow
kiwifarms.net
Cellphones, joggers and kids dumped at the mall have turned the theatre experience into dogshit. I used to go for movies with lots of visual spectacle but I'm over that shit. CGI doesn't make up for a shitty story. Give me a low budget movie some dood made using his iPhone and home security system to watch in the comfort of my home. More creative more enjoyable.

Michael Jacks0n

You know I'm bad, I'm bad.
kiwifarms.net
There's a small chain of specialty movie theaters near where I live, whose gimmick is that they will serve you (tbh, shitty and very overpriced) food like a restaurant, while you watch the movie. I drove by them the other day, and their sign said that they are still serving their (again shitty, and overpriced) food for curbside pickup. Bitch, nobody was going to you for your crappy food.

Yep, that's what Alamo Drafthouse was like. They had individual waiters who would bring you food...albeit, everything was like $20-30, and was shitty hipster food. Like, they didn't have regular nachos, and instead the nachos had to be craft artisan nachos made by from fair-trade Peruvian goat cheese or some shit. Bitch, just bring me a bag of Tostitos and a jar of Cheez Wiz!

UnKillShredDur

Black Deaths Matter.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yep, that's what Alamo Drafthouse was like. They had individual waiters who would bring you food...albeit, everything was like $20-30, and was shitty hipster food. Like, they didn't have regular nachos, and instead the nachos had to be craft artisan nachos made by from fair-trade Peruvian goat cheese or some shit. Bitch, just bring me a bag of Tostitos and a jar of Cheez Wiz!
This place named their foods after movies, most of which they weren't even playing at the time. For example they sold onion rings, but they called them "Lord of the Onion Rings." I haven't been there in a while, but most of their menu was shitty puns on movies that they weren't even playing.

They should have done an Italian/Terminator night and called it Pasta la Vista.

murdered meat bag

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The theatres here aren't bad, the nice ones are nice and pretty cheap. But nothing beats being able to pause the movie when you want to get a drink or use the bathroom. I ditched my 60 inch tv and bought a cheapo pico projector, projecting 130 inches on a beigish wall. The color leans too much on red, but i've come to terms with it.

NyQuilninja

drink me
kiwifarms.net
I love going to movies and seeing old films I’ve never experienced in theaters
Fathom events had great showings ( Lawrence of Arabia gone with the wind) and
https://www.flixbrewhouse.com
This place is awesome dinner and a movie at the same time.
As a bonus in my state movie theaters are often empty so me and my old lady would go and see a late show and there be no one else inside the theater ( Ford versus -Ferrari uncut gems) just to give an example.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Drive-Ins I find distracting - screen and sound bleed from the other screens. Last time I went it was because friends wanted to go and I could see something I didn't care about but felt a vague obligation to see - the last Hobbit movie. I didn't mind it was a suboptimal experience because i knew it would be a suboptimal movie.

The cinemas near me have upgraded to comfortable seating and cheaper prices already, so it's already relaxing and a decent price. I'm hoping that can return; I've had some amazing experiences at the cinema and I'd hate to lose that option.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
Drive-Ins I find distracting - screen and sound bleed from the other screens.

They have giant speakers at whichever drive-in you're referring to instead of just broadcasting the audio on FM? Seems like speakers would be a problem if a drive-in has more than one screen.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
No, but the sound still comes through from other cars, like the ones that keep their windows open while watching.

Wouldn't the cars close to you be watching the same movie so there's no problem (unless it's a multilanguage situation like the Montreal area drive-ins I mentioned earlier) or do some drive-ins have the screens close enough to each other where hearing the other movie would be a problem?

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wouldn't the cars close to you be watching the same movie so there's no problem (unless it's a multilanguage situation like the Montreal area drive-ins I mentioned earlier) or do some drive-ins have the screens close enough to each other where hearing the other movie would be a problem?
The latter, though the former doesn't really help with sound quality either.

Inflatable Julay

Bing bing wahoo
kiwifarms.net
Doubtful. There are a few movies I would still see in the theater out of principle, but I'm having more bad theater experiences than good ones these days and with direct-to-streaming proving to be successful I'm not too choked up about losing it.

I gladly payed $20 for immediate home access to the Sonic movie without having to catch Covid from a bunch autistic children, great trade-off imo

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm curious how long the effects of Corona will linger? I think the majority of people are sick and tired of it and just want to go out.

Cutting out the middle man and go straight to streaming would be great but it would destroy the 200-500 million dollar blockbuster.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

Youscatgetouttahereg-go-gogetthestick-getouttahere
kiwifarms.net
oscars, emmys, grammys et al are just rich people wank fests for themselves, not your run of the mill flyover state pleb. "Will we ever be able to wank ourselves off and televise it again?" You already do that every day.